Start by marking “Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster” as Want to Read:
Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster

Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster

One of the leading lights of the late-19th-century Irish literary renaissance, the Irish writer, folklorist, and playwright Lady Augusta Gregory was instrumental in collecting and preserving the folklore of her country. She translated these tales of the legendary Cuchulain — an Irish Achilles who was the greatest of ancient Ireland's fabled Knights of the Red Branch — from ...more
Published March 21st 2001 by Dover Publications (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Cuchulain of Muirthemne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuchulain of Muirthemne

Kevincl
Jun 15, 2014 Kevincl rated it really liked it
I grew up in Dundalk (Dún Dealgan, homeplace of Chú Chulainn), I still remember Chu Chulainn's castle a few hundred yards from my home. I also grew up with these legends, and had to study them in the old Irish text which is completely different to the modern Irish language. Lady Gregory's account, while the english is not fantastic, there were many mistakes in the prose, but she did totally captivate the legend that was Chú Chulainn and in doing so, has brought this legend to the masses.

The sto
Cristobo De
Apr 28, 2012 Cristobo De rated it it was amazing
This is very personal, I know Cuchulainn is all but forgotten these days, but I just love this book. The power, the sheer strength it conveys washed me away when I first read it, years ago. I just can`t understand how come it is not more popular.
The book is a re-write of a mythological cycle collected in medieval Irish texts. Lady Gregory turned these scattered legends into one only book, apt for a modern reader.

Now imagine an ancient world where warriors ride charriots into battle, where druid
L. Alexandra
Aug 17, 2013 L. Alexandra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mythology buffs, literature lovers, and anyone who claims roots in Ireland.
Recommended to L. by: British Literature Class
Shelves: hero-myths, classics
If I were to sing you a song of brave Cuchulain, hero and hound, loyal warrior, beardless boy better than three times fifty men of Ulster, I would surely run out of breath before you yet understood the heart of him, yet knew his many feats and the deeds that drew his name across the rocky ridge of the world in ogham. This book is a contagious classic, better for its aged language and seasoned anachronism, and better still for Lady Gregory's meticulously subtle whittling away of the density of th ...more
Raro de Concurso
Jan 28, 2015 Raro de Concurso rated it did not like it
Lo confieso. No lo he podido terminar. Lo he dejado al 40%. El tema suena fantástico, pero su lectura es como un capítulo de Tom y Jerry, pero con nombres irlandeses impronunciables. Y en vez de un ratón y un gato, una plaga de "marditos" roedores perseguidos por los mismos gatos.
Continuos episodios de valientes guerreros que o bien destrozan al enemigo ellos solos, como les cortan la cabeza y siguen hablando, como se teletransportan, como pegan saltos propios de spiderman. Y mucha repetición de
Louise Zedda-sampson
Helpful with my essay of a mythological hero.
Jeremiah Bookworm
Sep 15, 2014 Jeremiah Bookworm rated it liked it
Shelves: folklore-myth
This book provides some background in Irish mythology useful for understanding the poetry of W.B. Yeats. It's rather morbid, like a lot of mythology; most of the plots consist of heroes killing each other at the slightest provocation, or sometimes for no reason at all. It's like a Shakespeare tragedy... everyone dies at the end.
Robert
Jan 18, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
A book read for background in understanding old myths and symbolism in Yeat's poetry. To a modern mind, it might be hard to read in places. The myths seem to be similar in theme to tall tales, as the heroes are capable of taking on armies single-handed. Warriors are overstuffed with pride, often tricked into fighting for slight causes.
A. Mary
Mar 17, 2012 A. Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-myth
Gregory takes great care to use the syntax of common speech, which gives her versions of these stories a distinctly Irish voice, something that is sacrificed in polished English prose.
Manda
Jan 22, 2009 Manda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
Ever since I was a little kid, these were some of my favorite stories, and I think Lady Gregory's version is probably the most complete and readable version of this particular hero cycle.
Mastro
Dec 16, 2011 Mastro rated it liked it
Men of Ulster stories. Language is old timey and folklore-y so not the easiest read, but as a rookie to these stories I enjoyed them.
Eric
Jan 17, 2013 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb language and stories.
Damian
Damian marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Hanna Herbst
Hanna Herbst marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Acradis
Acradis marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jessica Jeys
Jessica Jeys is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Sørina
Sørina rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Alden
Alden marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Fred Steele
Fred Steele marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
f dodd
f dodd added it
Aug 16, 2016
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Jennifer Fenster
Jennifer Fenster marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Fiona
Fiona added it
Jul 24, 2016
  • Celtic Mythology
  • Myths and Legends of the Celts
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • The Complete Illustrated Stories of Hans Christian Andersen
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • The Crock of Gold (Revised Edtion)
  • The Book of Kells
  • The Irish Fairy Book
  • The Hound of Ulster
  • Tales of the Elders of Ireland
  • Over Nine Waves: A Book of Irish Legends
  • Early Irish Myths and Sagas
  • Celtic Heritage
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • Fairy & Folk Tales of Ireland
  • Dwarfs (The Enchanted World Series)
  • British Folk Tales and Legends: A Sampler
  • Eyrbyggja Saga
Isabella Augusta, Lady Gregory (15 March 1852 – 22 May 1932), born Isabella Augusta Persse. She was an Irish dramatist and folklorist. With William Butler Yeats and others, she co-founded the Irish Literary Theatre and the Abbey Theatre, and wrote numerous short works for both companies. Lady Gregory produced a number of books retelling stories taken from Irish mythology.
More about Lady Augusta Gregory...