Start by marking “Puppy's First Steps: The Whole-Dog Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, Well-Behaved Puppy” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The new gold standard in raising puppies for the enlightened dog owner: a unique whole-dog approach combining health, training, and behavior

If you feel bombarded with conflicting advice about what to feed your new puppy or uncomfortable rapping her under the chin, if the idea of a choke collar makes you wince even though you’ve heard it’s the right way to go, here at last
Published April 18th 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Puppy's First Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppy's First Steps

Lucy
Oct 27, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I always wish there were more reviews to the non-fiction books I pick up. I'm totally part of the problem in this scenario since I don't review them very often either so here's my best attempt.

The book opens up assuming you do not yet have a puppy. It discusses puppy-mills and pet store puppies, reasons to adopt and signs a breeder is one to trust. I fear most people will not buy a book like this until there's an actual puppy running around so it might be a guilt trip for some readers, but at th
PoligirlReads
May 28, 2012 PoligirlReads rated it it was amazing
I'll start by saying that if my cheap, library-reliant self actually plunks down cold, hard cash for a book, it's a great book. This is a great book.

I knew I'd like this book around the time they referred to teaching your dog manners as a way to prevent "uppityness." Oh my. Everything is covered, from thinking about getting a dog, getting a dog, then figuring out how to raise that dog. I love that it is the perfect balance of entertainment and information. The editing is superb. I really love t
Marcus Hutchens
Feb 01, 2015 Marcus Hutchens rated it really liked it
This is a great starting point for first time puppy owners! I grew up with dogs and even had a young dog of my own, but recently my wife and I decided to get our first puppy that was only 7 weeks old. It has a good wealth of advice ranging from common sense, to highly specific medical and technical knowledge (and varying degrees between). I skipped or skimmed some parts that didn't apply (advice about male dogs since ours is female, advice about picking a puppy since we already had one, etc), bu ...more
Kathleen Messmer
Dec 02, 2014 Kathleen Messmer rated it it was amazing
This book has some very practical advice that for most people would seem like common sense. But if sense was common, everyone would have it. I believe everyone e should read this BEFORE they decide to get a dog. It's like having a child and as such, it requires a good deal of work.
Dawn
Mar 22, 2012 Dawn rated it it was ok
I felt that this book told me what to do or what should be taught but not how to do it or how to teach my dog. Being a new dog owner, I need step by step instructions! I did find a few helpful tidbits here and there.
It bothered me that this book advised me to have my new puppy sleep in my bed the first few nights and then try to move him to the crate. I have a hard time believing that a new puppy who is not yet housebroken should sleep in my bed. Wont that confuse him when a few days later I wan
Shalyce
Feb 19, 2010 Shalyce rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great book to get some good ideas from after getting a new puppy. It also gave soem valuable insight into the reasons for certain behaviors. A lot of the ideas seemed practical and made sense I also liked how it gave you some different ideas on training and didn't just say this one way is the best and only way to do it. If anyone asked me what book to get to help them train a puppy, I would tell them this one.
Cindy
Jan 18, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Christmas puppies call for a nice little refresher course in puppy rearing - this book does a good job of guiding you every step of the way, from choosing your pet to raising her up to be a good canine citizen. The information is solid, coming from the veterinary faculty at Tufts University, and the set up iseasy to absorb, with lots of vital info in boxed features and chapters that are relevant and pleasant to read.
Sara
Oct 26, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
I didn't read it cover to cover, but I read the parts that I needed to. I have found that I have failed already in many areas of having a dog. I guess I should have read it before getting a dog. The areas that I did read more of weren't as helpful as I would have liked them to be. I need a book on patience now.
Caitlinleah
Sep 11, 2011 Caitlinleah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
This was one of the best dog books. it was very thorough and promoted positive training not because they wuv the widdle puppies but because it is scientifically proven to work. also, i really appreciated the food advice. I only wish it had more to say about adult dogs, and wasn't so puppy specific.
Erin
Feb 15, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new puppy owners
This is a good comprehensive book for new puppy owners. It offers loads of practical advice and lots of additional information that I was surprised to find out.

This is the best puppy book I have seen.
Anna Nordseth
Feb 05, 2013 Anna Nordseth rated it it was amazing
This is a great training book for anyone getting a new puppy. It's super-informative, gives great tips, and has really helpful info for the new puppy parents.
Kristen Kilpo
Jun 14, 2012 Kristen Kilpo rated it really liked it
This book gave a description for overall care of a puppy. It's something I definitely plan to refer back to in the future!
danelle
Mar 01, 2009 danelle rated it it was ok
There were a couple tidbits of useful info, but I object to any dog book that refers to your pet as your baby.
Kara
Jan 12, 2012 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
This is the best of all the new puppy books I've read. Highly recommended even if this isn't your fist dog.
Trisha
Aug 25, 2007 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new puppy owners
written by the vets at tufts university, this book is a great guide to helping raise a puppy! rory loves it.
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science, dogs
Great to read a vet perspective. I learned a lot!
Lana O'flaherty
Lana O'flaherty marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Kristin White
Kristin White rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Connie
Connie added it
Jun 10, 2016
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Meghan McKnight
Meghan McKnight rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
David
David added it
Mar 18, 2016
Jen Williamson
Jen Williamson rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Virginia Robbins
Virginia Robbins marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Amita Pandey
Amita Pandey marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Dasha
Dasha rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016