Start by marking “Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Bbc Radio Collection) Abridged” as Want to Read:
Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Bbc Radio Collection) Abridged

Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Bbc Radio Collection) Abridged

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Length: 3 hrs and 26 mins

It is 1941, and Captain Antonio Corelli, a young Italian officer, is posted to the Greek Island of Cephallonia. At first he is ostracized by the locals, but as a conscientious soldier, whose main aim is to have a peaceful war, he proves to be civilized, humorous and a consummate musician...
Audio Cassette, Abridged
Published July 7th 1997 by BBC Worldwide Limited

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Bbc Radio Collection) Abridged

Book Concierge
What a beautifully written book! I wept; I laughed out loud; I was furious; I was anxious and worried; I gasped in horror; I smiled secret smiles; I rejoiced; I LOVED. All the characters, even the minor ones, come to life. I did think a few chapters could have been edited, as they didn't serve the plot (but DID provide background history of WW II), and I found the ending unsatisfactory. But still, after borrowing it from the library I RAN out and bought it - High praise indeed.

I read it first i
Ana Rînceanu
I decided to listen to this dramatized version of "Corelli's Mandolin" just so I can decide if I want to invest my time in reading a big book that takes time during war times, of which I have never been a fan. Mainly because I don't like pain, but I understand the necessity of it. This was lovely and it did entertain me. I like the voice actors and also the story so I've decided to give the book a try. The thing that bothered me was that I realized just how much had been cut out of the book. Not ...more
Sylvia
The beauty of his language makes this book the enthralling, intense read that it is. Greece comes to life and I sorely miss Dr.Iannis and Pelagia, and the comfort and joy of having them in my life for the past two weeks.
Eileen Ryan
I was really glad when our work bookclub picked this as the next read. Had always been curious about the book. It is a really good read. Maybe one for a holiday so you can get into it. There are about 100 pages at the start that I had to get through to warm up fully to it. The character development is fabulous. I was also fascinated by the description of how people lived during war times and survived with very little food. Once you get into it the book, its intriguing characters keeps you hooked ...more
P J
Sep 21, 2011 P J rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Many years ago I lent my mandolin to the landlord of the Thatched House in Southsea. Shortly afterwards he disappeared with the new barmaid and my mandolin. Antonio Corelli too loses his mandolin, but at least he sees it again. Mind you, it takes nearly fifty years and mine’s only been gone for about thirty.
It took me a while to get around to reading this best-seller. I read de Bernières’ ‘A Partisan’s Daughter’ which I didn’t think much of, and the short stories ‘Notwithstanding’ which I dislik
Jodie
The book follows several different story lines and how they eventually intersect. The majority of the book is set in Greece during WWII with the main storyline following Pelagia and her tumulutous lovelife. Very emotional and involving.
A poignant issue that, while not a large theme in the book, is very thought provoking is discrimnation based on nationality in a post-war climate. When your home has been ravaged by the representatives of a single nation over and over, how do you ignore that once
Paul
Just a beautiful, touching story. There's war, romance, and the pathos of lost time.

10/10
A.Z. Green
This book is a work of art. Everything about it is wonderful. It has everything in it that makes a great story. Even if the romance between the two main characters had been the only focus of the book it would still have been a brilliant story.
I watched the film before I read the book and hoped that it wouldn't spoil it and it didn't. Despite the little differences - and Nicholas Cage's dodgy Italian accent ;)- the film, I feel, does the book justice. If you've read the book and not watched the
Jasmine
The best fiction I have ever read. The vivid portrayals and skilfully articulate story-telling are of a calibre of literary excellence that I was unaware existed. I couldn't speak highly enough of this book. It is a historical narrative first (and a gripping and addictive one at that), and a story portraying the various kinds of love second (it would be a disservice to label this 'a love story').
Ankita
I would have given the book five stars but for the ending. I wish the author had used his brilliant wit and style of writing till the end. The book is replete with poignant scenes; my throat was tightening with emotion when the author introduced all possible cliches in the end. Still, I would suggest this book to my friends for its perfect blend - nostalgia and repugnance of the past.
Caroline
I haven't read this one in awhile, but it is one of the most touching love stories I've ever read. There are moments especially in the beginning when de Bernieres is just a bit too in love with his own conceit, as in the chapters where he narrates as Mussolini, but when he gets to the heart of the story it is lovely and unforgettable.
David
As a lover of things Greek, this story touched me. It seemed de Bernieres got into the mindset of the Greek islanders during the war and the book came to life (better than the movie). He does his research as this was a difficult time in Greece and the anti-war sentiment was high. Good read.
Lila
Tell me that this book improves! I'm currently on page 40 and so far it's kind of...slow. I never particularly wanted to read the book. I haven't seen the movie either. I got the book for free at my book store a while ago so thought I'd give it a go...
Beth
I really enjoyed this book. I learned so much and the characters were wonderful! Why do we have war?!?!? I saw a mandolin at a garage sale last week and almost bought it, just because of the story of Antonia.
Carmen
I listened to this while I drove home across the state of SD. A very good book for a long drive, but also very sad! It made the time go a lot faster!
Emily F.
A good read about the effects of World War II on Greece.
Do not watch the movie, but read the book--it's brilliant.
Emily
Gorgeous gorgeous book. I absolutely adore it.
Brian
infinitely better than the film!
James
A little different WWII love story.
Jess
Quite simply this book is stunning.
Jean
loved it.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Stakeout (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter #2.5)
  • The Casquette Girls (The Casquette Girls, #1)
  • The Troll
  • Landfall
  • Hitler's War
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You about the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History
  • Blackout (Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
  • The Holocaust by Bullets: A Priest's Journey to Uncover the Truth Behind the Murder of 1.5 Million Jews
  • The Pirate's Daughter
  • The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #2)
  • The Wonderful World of Oz: The Wizard of Oz / The Emerald City of Oz / Glinda of Oz
  • The Heart Denied
  • Blindsighted / Kisscut (Grant County, #1, #2)
  • Goodbye Mickey Mouse
  • Patton: A Biography
  • V
Novelist Louis de Bernières was born in London in 1954. He joined the army at 18 but left after spending four months at Sandhurst. After graduating from the Victoria University of Manchester, he took a postgraduate certificate in Education at Leicester Polytechnic and obtained his MA at the University of London.

Before writing full-time, he held many varied jobs including landscape gardener, motor
More about Louis de Bernières...
Captain Corelli's Mandolin Birds Without Wings The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman