Start by marking “The Wasteland & Four Quartets” as Want to Read:
The Wasteland & Four Quartets

The Wasteland & Four Quartets

These are masterly readings, by renowned thespian Paul Schofield, of two substantial works of poetry by T.S. Eliot. The Wasteland, first published in 1922, is one of Eliot's most influential works and has long been on the syllabus for A-Level English Literature. The Four Quartets consists of four long poems, first published between 1935 and 1942. They are linked by common ...more
Audio Cassette
Published April 5th 2004 by BBC Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wasteland & Four Quartets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wasteland & Four Quartets

Brian Robbins
Aug 19, 2011 Brian Robbins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Scofield's reading is sheer brilliance. Too moans about it, one minor, one major. The minor moan is that dreadful little set of piano chords used to introduce the readings. The major one is the editing out of the final line of "Little Gidding". How on earth can someone with material and performance of this quality be so dratted careless? It's like getting to the end of a symphony and missing out the final great chord. Aggggghh!
Apr 13, 2015 Abrar rated it liked it
It's a nice production but usually BBC radio production are much more pleasurable; perhaps the narrator was a bit serious and did not try to change his solemn tone as needed.
Sep 08, 2016 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
ohdeargoodness! there is NOTHING after THIS POETRY read by this man. ohmygoodness. repeatedly listened to and my spirit, my soul, my entire self finds rest.
Sydney Young
I loved listening to this, but The Waste Land is better digested in writing (and with my college anthology of modern poetry). So I pulled out my anthology and refreshed my memory - it is so full of literary references that I think all but Harold Bloom would have to have the explanations. What surprised me was how beautiful the Four Quartets sounded when read aloud. It reminded me of Ecclesiastes, which is clearly a heavy influence on Eliot, and is one of the original works which sounds out man's ...more
Mar 30, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Paul Scofield is the reader on these audio cds, so that in itelf is a gift. The Waste Land is a dense poem, full of references and allusions, multiple speakers and lines in other languages. I don't know most of them, but it really doesn't stop me from enjoying the poem:

...I have heard the key
Turn in the door once and turn once only
We think of the key, each in his prison
Thinking of the key, each confirms a prison
Only at nightfall, aetherial rumours
Revive for a moment a broken Coriolanus...

Jul 29, 2012 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I have read Eliot and his Four Quartets, though I have known some lines from them that became very important to me. I love much poetry, but found these difficult to read--there was vocabulary that I had to look up, ideas that were unclear--and yet I recognised ideas from the Buddha's teachings. For example, “In order to arrive at what you do not know you must go by a way which is the way of ignorance.” This is "Beginner's Mind," experiencing something with no preconceived ...more
Jan 22, 2012 Artemisia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poesia
Eliot si può leggere solo in inglese: tradotto perde semplicemente tutto.

Burnt Norton
Footfalls echo in the memory
down the passage wich we did not take
towards the door we never opened
into the rose-garden.

East Coker
Wait without love for love would be love of the wrong thing.

The Dry Salvages
The sea has many voices, many gods and many voices.

Little Gidding
Ash on an old man's sleeve
is all the ash the burnt roses leave.
Aug 25, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Paul Scofield, one of the great voices of the twentieth century, does considerable justice to Eliot's difficult but evocative poems. The Wasteland deserves multiple reads and intensive study, but for a pure listening experience on audiobook, Scofield's reading creates a great experience.
Seth Holler
Apr 05, 2016 Seth Holler rated it it was amazing
Rereading The Waste Land to teach. Ora pro nobis.

Scofield is excellent, especially the snatches of song.
Andrea Gabban
Non c'ho capito granché, a dire il vero. Do 3 stelline per non stroncare il grande poeta prima di averlo studiato a scuola.
May 13, 2008 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
nice sounding poetry that overall didn't really sink in. probably due to my own ignorance. a lot of it was metaphysical musings overly centered on "god", which seems outmoded to me.
Don Weidinger
Mar 11, 2014 Don Weidinger rated it liked it
is dance and no dance new and old past and future beginning and end time no healer, right action forgiveness and prayer humanity and humility.
Raffo1984 rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2013
Marco De cristofaro
Marco De cristofaro rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2013
Majose Rodriguez
Majose Rodriguez rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Fluwenyc rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2010
a-marti rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2011
Alessandro rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2013
Mel rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2009
Joyce Nancy
Joyce Nancy rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2011
Liv Gagne
Liv Gagne rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
ELRS rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
David rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2013
Daniele Morrone
Daniele Morrone rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Tea Susca
Tea Susca rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2010
Eleonora Capra
Eleonora Capra rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Thomson Paris
Thomson Paris rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Shruti rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Anudeva rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Poesie d'amore
  • The Classical Tradition: Greek and Roman Influences on Western Literature
  • A Rock and a Hard Place: One Boy's Triumphant Story
  • Design for Living
  • Stepping Stones: Interviews with Seamus Heaney
  • La gioia di scrivere: Tutte le poesie (1945-2009)
  • Lonesome Dove  (Part 1 of 3)
  • Sexta-Feira ou a Vida Selvagem
  • The Temple: The Poetry of George Herbert
  • Collected Poems, 1943-2004
  • An Introduction to Literature, Criticism and Theory
  • Songs of Innocence
  • Talking about Jane Austen in Baghdad: The True Story of an Unlikely Friendship
  • 1812
  • The End of the Battle
  • Verrà la morte e avrà i tuoi occhi
  • Homeland / The Bean Trees / Pigs in Heaven
  • Being Human: Life Lessons from the Frontiers of Science
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ ...more
More about T.S. Eliot...