Thief With No Shadow

Thief With No Shadow

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  561 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Published April 24th 2007 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Thief With No Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thief With No Shadow

Becky
There was salamander rape in this. And mythical creature butt rape. There was so much weird sexual imagery that my left over impression is...grossy.

Also, the plot was non existent, the characters were over the top with their emotions (three of the four leads had so much self loathing I ended up hating them), and then of course there was the weird sex stuff.

Would not recommend.
Glenn
As the synopsis indicated, it's a book about fire-breathing salamanders, magic, and wraiths who have the ability to go unseen. There wasn't much on goodreads or other web sites to really give me an idea whether or not to trust my instincts and pass this one by so I decided to take one for the team and buy it. You owe me one!

The good news, at least for me, is that it was a quick read, even at 450 pages. The reason why it was a quick read is because nothing really happens. The intensity increased...more
Gail
This is a fantasy novel, with romantic elements. L.M. Bujold, in her speech, talked about how fantasy and SF are about politics, and the bigger, more earth-shattering the arena, the better. This story has a Small, personal arena. The heroine has stolen a necklace which she is giving to salamanders (two-legged beings connected to the fire element) to retrieve her brother from them. He was caught when he tried to steal from them. But when she gets him back, he's badly injured and dying.
The necklac...more
Char
This one was better than the The Sentinel Mage--Emily Gee writes loathing and prejudice very well. The characters were potentially interesting, but their development was stunted until the final chapters of the book. Because of this, I found the story's conclusion to be very much deus ex machina.
Something I'm always looking out for is the presence of well-written female characters. The two women of Thief With No Shadow were excellently different from each other, and each was believable and compl...more
LitAddictedBrit
This wasn't at all the book that I was expecting it to be. That isn't to say it isn't good; it is. However, I picked it up after having my heart broken by The Girl at the Lion D'Or, expecting some light relief and, I'll admit, a little fantasy frivolity.

The plot was fairly simple but it worked. There weren't any huge surprises so, for me, this was all about the characters and how they interact.

I loved all of the different species in this novel - there was something almost mythical about it and i...more
Jackie

Melke is a wraith, which means she has the ability to walk unseen. After being forced to steal a necklace, she is hunted down by the victim of the crime, Bastian sal Vere. He explains that the necklace was strung with tears, and that without it, Bastian cannot break the curse that is destroying his family. He orders Melke to regain the necklace, in exchange for her brother to be healed. But she had given the necklace to the salamanders, the fire breathing creatures that live underground. She mus...more
Softymel
Le premier adjectif qui me vient à l'esprit pour décrire ce livre est "mou". Il ne s'y passe quasiment rien. L'histoire est creuse, et cousue de fil blanc, et j'ai trouvé la fin un peu ridicule.

90% de l'histoire se passe dans une ferme, on l'on a le loisir de voir les personnages évoluer, notamment leurs sentiments les uns vis à vis des autres. Au début c'est plutôt intéressant, mais au bout d'un moment, ça devient vraiment trop long... et connaissant la fin, je regrette vraiment d'avoir persist...more
Venus Smurf
Great story! I bought this because I'd read another of Emily Gee's works, and I figured I couldn't go wrong.

And I didn't. The MC wasn't what I'd expected from the summary, but I liked her more for the fact that she was human and relatable. She had fears, but she did the right thing even when going against those freaky salamander people/things. The plot was creative and interesting, and though I've read enough fantasy to qualify as a geek over the years, this was fresh. I can't recommend it enou...more
Jade
Good plotline, fairly compelling...not so amazingly written.
Pacing was actually really good, but for use of repetition this book was SO bad! Honestly, if we'd taken out a few 'she's just a filthy wraith', 'I hate her!', 'What have I done?' the book may have been half the size.

It got boring and tiresome reading the same line every few pages. And this bugged me throughout 80% of the book.
Something else that didn't work was character development. Whilst the 2 main love interests went through a p...more
Mike
Fantasy fiction and mainstream literary fiction continue to merge. This is a dark, but ultimately redemptive, tale of four people, two brother-sister pairs, caught in a series of bad situations. These are caused mostly by their own bad choices, though also through the foolishness or greed of others. Some of them hate each other, some of them hate themselves. Through courage and devotion more than through magic, they change their situation.
Miss Clark
If I had a minus-star, I'd give this book that. Not at all what I thought it would be like. I thoroughly disliked it and would not recommend it. Writing was paltry, the characterizations hackneyed, the plot was forced, there was much immorality (and in such a vulgar manner.) The background was scanty, details on her world were few and far between. Stay far away from it!
Niffer
I've read several of Emily Gee's books. I like them a fair bit, but I have to as it they are fairly surface stories that never really reach their potential. This book was no exception to that rule.

For example, the main character and her brother are both afraid of the dark. It's not a completely irrelevant fact within the story but it's also never really developed. The main character is afraid of the dark. Here's why. Now let's move on to the next bit of the story.

Even the plot points that are ex...more
Senthilkumar nadar
a thief with no shadow,i really liked the book with the magic system and everything,only thing i disliked the scenes portraying unnatural sex involving principal characters.otherwise she is a promising writer,we can expect very enjoyable books in the future.another thing cover art is very poor.

laurentine spy is quite a good romance read with suspense and thrill,though we can predict the outcome of the events while reading,neverthless its enjoyable read.cover art is passable for this book.

sentine...more
NyxShadow
Original mais il reste des éléments à approfondir pour en faire vraiment un livre qu'on adore, c'est un peu dommage tout de même car il y a un gros potentiel.
Lecture sympathique tout de même
Ashley
This is probably the worst book I have ever read. People getting shit on, raped, fire salamander sex and burnt dicks.
Seriously for people who rated this above 1 star what the actual fuck.
Krissy
At first, I was only going to three star this. There were things I found problematic (rape and fuzzy non-con sex) which did not add to the plot but on the whole, characters were well-realized and the pacing was good. I've read other reviews that have stated the pace was too slow and that a more definitive villain was needed, but life isn't always like that. There are shades of grey and sometimes things do move at a slower pace. If Liana's gift had resulted in immediate healing, that would have m...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
t'Sade
This was a lovely story. Dark, depressing, and scraping the bottom of life, but still wonderful. The world development was light and the story only covers a few days of plot, but I found myself engrossed with the intensely depressed characters who were all filled with self-deprecating fear and despair.

And yet, I wanted to read it, to finish it. It was like a train accident that ended on a happy note.

The magical powers in the book were well done, without them dominating the plot. I felt the dog c...more
Spencer
I read this a while ago, like when I was 16 - and I'm twenty now - so it's a little bit hazy. On the other hand, It's been five years, and I remember it. It was a decent story, with a solid setting, an interesting and suitably twisty plot, and a minimum of unrealistic bullshit choices. Whether or not I'd recommend it depends on what you want:

If you want a fantasy novel, yes, but...
-The romance element is pretty strong which resulted in the following...
-There's a lack of a solid enemy/bad guy. Mo...more
Hilary
Chrissa
This was a quick read and I did enjoy the book, with a few caveats. First of all, although the summary description seems to think this is Melke's story, I felt that the story belonged to Bastian, from whom Melke steals a necklace in the beginning of the book. While Melke was a fierce character, her decisions were seldom in question and the author never really gave me any reason to doubt that she would follow a predictable path. This ties into the second challenge, which was that we spend far too...more
Bilqis
It's so gross and I never saw it coming, it was the talk of magic that drew me in, and then out of nowhere there was WEIRD CURSES WITH WEIRD rape/sex with WEIRD NEVER HEARD of CREATURES and salamanders.

"I was like what the hell did I just read?"

If you are the kind of person who likes Howl's Moving Castle, Harry Potter kind of magical books with lots of good mystry like The Da Vinci Code (like me), don't even look into this book. Waste of time.
Tal
Melke is a wraith, which means she has the abilty to walk unseen. After being forced to steal a necklace, she is hunted down by the victim of the crime, Bastian sal Vere. He explains that the necklace was strung with tears, and that without it, Bastian cannot break the curse that is destroying his family. He orders Melke to regain the necklace, in exchange for her brother to be healed. But she had given the necklace to the salamanders, the fire breathing creatures that live underground. She must...more
Erica Anderson
I understand some of the criticism this book has received--not much action and most of the book takes place at a farmstead where the heroine's brother lies ill. However, I found the slow development of the relationship between the H/H touching and believable. Over the duration of a week or so, the hero, who harbors some strong antipathy toward the heroine--she's something called a 'wraith'--comes to appreciate her as a person. The heroine, meanwhile, is struggling with her own issues--she's been...more
Fantasy Literature
Ah, Thief With No Shadow. Add this one to the ever growing list of books that leave me utterly baffled as to what the term "romantic fantasy" is supposed to mean. Whatever else it is, this delightful little romp of a fantasy tale is no romance novel.

Though Thief With No Shadow is of a serious nature, it has the benefit of not being extremely bogged down and dreary as seems to be the current fantasy trend. There's no hoards of starving peasants living in mud and dung and no evil overlords acting...more
Amira
It was good however I think the plot was too bland and needed more kind of structure. It's awfully stretched out and I think the plot in general needs work. I will say however that I did enjoy the characters and I think the characters development curve was a vast improvement on other books. I do think that at points they weren't very realistic but meh.
Maddie D
Nicole McElhose
Emily Gee is a new author in the fantasy world. This is her first book.
My BFF, leslie, borrowed this book to me, and I read it in one sitting. Four cheers then, for the story and three cheers for the writing. The story was great with its twists and its turns, and the characters were even better. The characters breathed with the plot. I love that, in a book. She really knows how to work a plot and keep a reader in suspense. Unfortunately she chooses to keep the reader in a state of perpetual sus...more
Cheryl
I love this book and I'll tell you why. It is a concise fantasy with romance. That might sound like no big deal, but it's not that common. I've read a number of reviews on various sites that underrated this book for the exact reasons that it is one of my favorites. It is not political. It is not a trilogy or an endless series. There are no royals involved or soldiers or thrones or even long quests. Don't get me wrong, sometimes those are great, but this isn't that.

Thief With No Shadow is a book...more
Sharon
Melke is a wraith she steals a necklace so she can save her brother who is greiviously injured. Bastian the previous owner of the necklace makes a deal, he will take her brother to a healer if she steals the necklace back.

I loved this novel & read it from front to back in a day, her story telling sucks you in. It's not soppy either, the characters are multi faceted & flawed, the prose real & magical creatures terrifying. Melke is between a rock & hard place but she rises to the...more
  • The Thief-Taker's Apprentice (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice #1)
  • Hawkspar (Korre, #2)
  • Spera Volume 1
  • The Cipher (Crosspointe Chronicles, #1)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • The Convent of the Pure (The Blood of Angels series, #1)
  • Mrs. Beast: A Novel
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • Fiery Edge of Steel (Noon Onyx, #2)
  • To Ride Hell’s Chasm
  • Saiyuki Reload Volume 1
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • Villains by Necessity
  • A Woman Worth Ten Coppers (Shadowed Path, #1)
  • Warrior (Doppelganger, #1)
  • Wildfire (Firethorn, #2)
Emily grew up in a house full of words and books -- her mother worked as a librarian and her father was a novelist – so perhaps it’s not surprising that she became a writer.
She loves to travel and has lived in Sweden, backpacked in Europe, and journeyed overland in the Middle East, China, North Africa, and North America. She enjoys climbing hills, yoga workouts, and watching reruns of Buffy the Va...more
More about Emily Gee...
The Sentinel Mage (The Cursed Kingdoms, #1) The Laurentine Spy The Fire Prince (The Cursed Kingdoms, #2) The Blood Curse (Cursed Kingdoms, #3)

“... it was strange how afraid he was of her answer, even though he knew she desired him. Desire and love were two different things.
Sweat was damp on his skin, fear tight in his chest.
Love me.