Start by marking “Out of My Mind” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Out of My Mind

Andy Rooney

Out of My Mind

Every Sunday evening, millions of viewers tune in to 60 Minutes to hear Andy Rooney riff on everything from coffee percolators to the state of the union. Millions more read his weekly newspaper column. Why? Because Rooney tells it like it is.

But Rooney fans have never seen him quite like this. Andy Rooney is plain frustrated by what's going on in America and the world. W

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Out of My Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of My Mind

Elise
Aug 29, 2015 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In spite of the fact that I could hear Rooney's voice in my head when I was reading this, it made for humorous bedside reading.
Kate Hayden
My 70 year old father bought me this book for Christmas. It's interesting to hear the insight of an old man but his opinions are outdated. He thinks he is quite liberal and it is funny to hear his old man train of thought. I like Andy Rooney and enjoyed his 60 Minutes segments but this book should be edited and cut in half. It is repetitive and slow, although it's like a time capsule of old man thinking capturing his views about the world. It's like a pre-blog blog of old man's view of the moder ...more
Linda
Jan 30, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my sister
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
My father watched 60 Minutes every Sunday night. While I may not have been so interested in the content of the stories, I always liked the end of the show when Andy Rooney started with his "Did you ever wonder?..."" section.

This book is a collection of those stories, everything from Daily Life, Food and Drink, Politics, Money, the English Language and Sports. I can almost hear my father's chuckle as I read them.

If you liked those stories you will like this book.

Sharon Neufer
Nov 15, 2012 Sharon Neufer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoyed Andy's final segments on 60 Minutes and the book is made up of essays just like that. Even when I disagreed with Andy, I still appreciated the fact that he said what he thought and didn't care what "others may think." It's especially refreshing to read him complain about the same things I dislike!
Vanessa
I love this old crotchity man and his thoughts. A compilation of essays divided into sections. Funny as all get out...in my opinion...but i have very similar views as him and watch him on 60 minutes... if you don't enjoy Mr. Rooney...Don't get this. :)
Angel
I borrowed it from the public library. If you know Andy Rooney from his segments on 60 Minutes, then you know what you are getting with this book.

See my blog note about the book:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Cathy
I liked Andy Rooney, but I couldn't finish this book - I found many of his comments offensive and annoying and gave up before I hit the half way point.
Chris Chase
Aug 25, 2014 Chris Chase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that had its moments. It is a series of essays just like his commentary, some were interesting, some not so much. Worth reading.
Catherine Sandy
Oct 03, 2011 Catherine Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say that I read everyone of the essays in this book. I did read most of them and really enjoyed them. I believe Andy Rooney could write an interesting essay about any subject.
Eric
Jul 11, 2008 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light reader. Mostly what you may have heard on 60 minutes. After half the book, I got tired of it and retired it.
Kelli
Sep 15, 2012 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I can hear Andy reading to me as I read the book. He wrote like he spoke and I am saddened that he passed away.
Joe
Sep 20, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One probably needs to be an Andy Rooney fan to rate this book 4 stars. I consider Mr. Rooney a modern day Will Rogers.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Jesse Aporta
Jesse Aporta rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Kevin Hartigan
Kevin Hartigan rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Jun Zheng
Jun Zheng rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Sonia
Sonia rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Jean Martino
Jean Martino rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2008
Lori King
Lori King rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Codi
Codi rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2012
Rreagan86
Rreagan86 rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Sreejith G
Sreejith G rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Lily Hom
Lily Hom rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Jody R
Jody R rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Kelly N
Kelly N rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Festivus: The Holiday for the Rest of Us
  • The Real Diana
  • Take It Back: A Battle Plan for Democratic Victory
  • Wacky Chicks: Life Lessons from Fearlessly Inappropriate and Fabulously Eccentric Women
  • Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country
  • The Pentagon: A History
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America
  • Father Knows Less Or: "Can I Cook My Sister?": One Dad's Quest to Answer His Son's Most Baffling Questions
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • God's Doodle: The Life and Times of the Penis
  • Mike's Election Guide
  • I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood
  • Little Billy's Letters: An Incorrigible Inner Child's Correspondence with the Famous, Infamous, and Just Plain Bewildered
  • The Way We Were: Remembering Diana
  • What Was I Thinking?: 58 Bad Boyfriend Stories
  • Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down
  • 101 Things to Do Before You Die
Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney was an American radio and television writer. He became most famous as a humorist and commentator with his weekly broadcast A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney, a part of the CBS news program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011.
More about Andy Rooney...