Nocover-blank-133x176
Out of My Mind

Andy Rooney

Out of My Mind

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Every Sunday evening, millions of viewers tune in to 60 Minutes to hear Andy Rooney riff on everything from coffee percolators to the state of the union. Millions more read his weekly newspaper column. Why? Because Rooney tells it like it is.

But Rooney fans have never seen him quite like this. Andy Rooney is plain frustrated by what's going on in America and the world. W

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2006)

Julie Luekenga
Out of My Mind, a collection of essays written by Andy Rooney, reads like his 60 Minute famed verbal satires. And just like his five minutes of fame each week, they are delivered with an acerbic bite. As he said, he has an opinion on everything, even if it's not always informed. After all, this is how he made a very good living. I had to skip over a lot of the political essays-- they became repetitive and, therefore a little boring. In fact, if I have a criticism, it is the repetition of topics...more
Kate Hayden
My 70 year old father bought me this book for Christmas. It's interesting to hear the insight of an old man but his opinions are outdated. He thinks he is quite liberal and it is funny to hear his old man train of thought. I like Andy Rooney and enjoyed his 60 Minutes segments but this book should be edited and cut in half. It is repetitive and slow, although it's like a time capsule of old man thinking capturing his views about the world. It's like a pre-blog blog of old man's view of the moder...more
Linda
Jan 30, 2012 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: my sister
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
My father watched 60 Minutes every Sunday night. While I may not have been so interested in the content of the stories, I always liked the end of the show when Andy Rooney started with his "Did you ever wonder?..."" section.

This book is a collection of those stories, everything from Daily Life, Food and Drink, Politics, Money, the English Language and Sports. I can almost hear my father's chuckle as I read them.

If you liked those stories you will like this book.

Sharon Neufer
I always enjoyed Andy's final segments on 60 Minutes and the book is made up of essays just like that. Even when I disagreed with Andy, I still appreciated the fact that he said what he thought and didn't care what "others may think." It's especially refreshing to read him complain about the same things I dislike!
Angel
I borrowed it from the public library. If you know Andy Rooney from his segments on 60 Minutes, then you know what you are getting with this book.

See my blog note about the book:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Vanessa
I love this old crotchity man and his thoughts. A compilation of essays divided into sections. Funny as all get out...in my opinion...but i have very similar views as him and watch him on 60 minutes... if you don't enjoy Mr. Rooney...Don't get this. :)
Catherine Sandy
I can't say that I read everyone of the essays in this book. I did read most of them and really enjoyed them. I believe Andy Rooney could write an interesting essay about any subject.
Cathy
I liked Andy Rooney, but I couldn't finish this book - I found many of his comments offensive and annoying and gave up before I hit the half way point.
Kelli
I love this book! I can hear Andy reading to me as I read the book. He wrote like he spoke and I am saddened that he passed away.
Eric
Light reader. Mostly what you may have heard on 60 minutes. After half the book, I got tired of it and retired it.
Joe
One probably needs to be an Andy Rooney fan to rate this book 4 stars. I consider Mr. Rooney a modern day Will Rogers.
Isw2w
Had to return to the library. But I liked what I did read.
Susan
I might finish it some day. Just not now. Upward and onward!
Rose
Short stories. Just like his 60 Minutes pieces.
Wm B
Enjoy Andy's to the point.
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Towers
Towers added it
Feb 04, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney was an American radio and television writer. He became most famous as a humorist and commentator with his weekly broadcast A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney, a part of the CBS news program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011.
More about Andy Rooney...
My War Common Nonsense Few Minutes with Andy Rooney Pieces of my Mind Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit