30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary

30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  18 reviews
• Do you misuse and mispronounce some words?
• Do you sometimes find yourself at a loss to express exactly what you mean?
• Do you fail to comprehend complex words while reading?
• Are you tired of having people seemingly talk "above" you?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, then 30 Days To A More Powerful Vocabulary is the p...more
Published March 15th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary

Chazman
Without words we are speechless, we need word to express ourselves better in more beautiful ways in more convincing ways.All this is possible with good vocabulary. The vocabulary building of a man ends around when he reaches at 21 years of age in any language, he repeats the same word.

This book helped me lot to improve my vocabulary and I regret not to find such equivalent in other language that I have learnt.

Go for Norman Lewis if English is your target. And if he is reading my reviews perhaps...more
Serge Pierro
An excellent method for expanding your vocabulary. Each chapter is on a specific topic, and a list of relevant words is presented (with definitions). Then multiple tests are given to help you in the memorization process.
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2007 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to learn
I completed this book on a vacation. It was fun and interesting and a learned a lot of new words. I have been meaning to go through it again, but I think I'll not do it so fast this time and only do the 30 minutes a day.
Monica
After going through this book I kept seeing those vocab words pop up everywhere. Before I would have had no idea what those meant.
Jo Schaffer
I am a complete word nerd- so I adored this book.
Dorothea
I found this among some books my family acquired from the estate of one of my grandparents' friends. I think she was about my age when she bought it, just after WWII, and it was kind of fun to see her penciled-in answers to some of the quiz questions.

This is a rather amusing book -- sometimes amusing on purpose and sometimes amusing (or not) because it's rather dated.

Here is amusing on purpose:
You may remember [ed.--that's right! appeal to the reader's ego!] the anecdote that was told of King Ge
Mohit
Overall, the book is one of the better ones. It is not soporific, and if words are your bete noire then its the book to help you make them your forte. Its certainly not for plebians and dilettante. The greatest message inculcated in the book is that to use words adroitly you need not belong to an esoteric circle.
Lisa Kucharski
I have the 1942 print of this book. So, some of the language being used has shifted and changed when read by someone of 2011.

Great book to get engaged in language and learning not just new words but the source of words. The only little chapter which talked about current words whose meanings were different years ago was a great example of how language lives and changes.

Would highly recommend this to anyone interested in increasing vocabulary.
Jessica
I had to read this book in high school and thought I should revisit it. It was good...not any amazing technique for getting you to learn words. Just repetition, learn new words every day. Some of the words I will probably never say again in my life (ochlocracy?) but who knows.
A. Gamble
Helpful little book with a variety of good exercises and tips to build vocabulary, but some of the word usage is outdated. For those on a tight study schedule, it can be completed in less than thirty days without losing learned word retention.
John Sorensen
A book with good qualities, simple to read, fun exercises but many of the words are obviously outdated and I have never encountered before. A book like this would be more beneficial if it had been written within the last 20 years.
Kelly
My honors english teacher in high school (sophomore year?) used this as a text book and I still find myself cracking it open every now and then. My husband and use it to quiz each other just for fun! I know, we're weird.
Briana Myricks
Outdated. Published in 91. Best part is the index. Take a look at the words in the index, check off the ones you know, look the ones you don't know up in the thesaurus. Ta-da, a more powerful vocabulary.
Lorelle
Jul 13, 2008 Lorelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geeks like me.
Recommended to Lorelle by: My dad.
Woohoo. A book for geeks like me who enjoy spending time learning big words. (Which I rarely use in normal conversation, mind you. I have to dumb down my word choice for some of my friends...)
Denise Lopez
Aug 08, 2007 Denise Lopez rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students/english as a second language
Shelves: educational
"Where I learned the meaning and use of words such as sycophant and osequious. Unfortunately, they're still not part of my everyday lingo."
Abel C
The not-so-subtle, 1940s-style misogyny of the writers makes this book unintentionally hilarious.
Vincent
Second reading: 7-30-2007
Prajwal Reddy
Prajwal Reddy marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Sameh
Sameh marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Russell Mclaughlin
Russell Mclaughlin marked it as to-read
Rachel Taylor
Rachel Taylor is currently reading it
Thechantal Lewis
Thechantal Lewis marked it as to-read
Faiza
Faiza marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Ravi
Ravi marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Nihar Sahoo
Nihar Sahoo marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kedar Tiwari
Kedar Tiwari marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Nitika Gudadhe
Nitika Gudadhe marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
  • Crazy English
  • The New Fowler's Modern English Usage
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Information Technology Project Management
  • Football for Dummies (For Dummies)
  • Information Theory, Inference and Learning Algorithms
  • The Universe and Dr. Einstein
  • Fuzzy Thinking: The New Science of Fuzzy Logic
  • The Psychoanalysis of Fire
  • Reflections of a Scientist
  • I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes
  • The Silent Language
  • The Memory Book: The Classic Guide to Improving Your Memory at Work, at School, and at Play
Word Origins: An Exploration and History of Words and Language Six Weeks to Words of Power Word Origins and Their Romantic Stories 6 Weeks Word Power 30 Days To  A More Powerful Vocabulary