Start by marking “30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary” as Want to Read:
30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary

30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary

Elevate your vocabulary in just thirty days with this informative, fun, and accessible guide to utilizing powerful language.

Do you occasionally misuse or misunderstand certain words? Do you sometimes find yourself at a loss to express exactly what you mean? Are you tired of having people seemingly talk “above” you? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then 30 D
Published March 15th 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1942)

Brit Cheung
Nov 28, 2015 Brit Cheung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to confess 30 days to build a "powerful" vocabulary was beyond what I am capable of--It virtually took me more than two months to “breeze through” the book, in part because I procrastinated a lot.
In the very beginning, there exists a vocabulary capacity test for self assessment but so many words eluded me or frankly, I never seen them before. A few of them are exceedingly odd and abstruse and compelled me to scramble for dictionary frequently.

Completely knowing procrastination is no goo
Briana Ford
Outdated. Published in 91. Best part is the index. Take a look at the words in the index, check off the ones you know, look the ones you don't know up in the thesaurus. Ta-da, a more powerful vocabulary.
Serge Pierro
Sep 28, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
An excellent method for expanding your vocabulary. Each chapter is on a specific topic, and a list of relevant words is presented (with definitions). Then multiple tests are given to help you in the memorization process.
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to learn
I completed this book on a vacation. It was fun and interesting and a learned a lot of new words. I have been meaning to go through it again, but I think I'll not do it so fast this time and only do the 30 minutes a day.
Monica
Feb 26, 2010 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After going through this book I kept seeing those vocab words pop up everywhere. Before I would have had no idea what those meant.
Jo Schaffer
Feb 10, 2008 Jo Schaffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a complete word nerd- so I adored this book.
Katie Anderson
An old book: 1942. Funny how a lot of these words are not used, or are so commonly used they were not new. One very interesting note in the penultimate chapter though was how our language really has changed so much. Just a mere 300 years ago King George told Sir Christopher Wren that his architecture of St. Paul's Cathedral was "amusing, awful, and artificial." Indeed a compliment when it really meant amazing, awe-inspiring, and artistic! I love language!
Lisa Kucharski
Jun 18, 2011 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have the 1942 print of this book. So, some of the language being used has shifted and changed when read by someone of 2011.

Great book to get engaged in language and learning not just new words but the source of words. The only little chapter which talked about current words whose meanings were different years ago was a great example of how language lives and changes.

Would highly recommend this to anyone interested in increasing vocabulary.
Mohit
May 31, 2015 Mohit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, the book is one of the better ones. It is not soporific, and if words are your bete noire then its the book to help you make them your forte. Its certainly not for plebians and dilettante. The greatest message inculcated in the book is that to use words adroitly you need not belong to an esoteric circle.
AGamble
Jul 15, 2011 AGamble rated it liked it
Shelves: gre
Helpful little book with a variety of good exercises and tips to build vocabulary, but some of the word usage is outdated. For those on a tight study schedule, it can be completed in less than thirty days without losing learned word retention.
Kelly
Dec 26, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My honors english teacher in high school (sophomore year?) used this as a text book and I still find myself cracking it open every now and then. My husband and use it to quiz each other just for fun! I know, we're weird.
Jessica
Jan 11, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
I had to read this book in high school and thought I should revisit it. It was good...not any amazing technique for getting you to learn words. Just repetition, learn new words every day. Some of the words I will probably never say again in my life (ochlocracy?) but who knows.
John Sorensen
Sep 05, 2011 John Sorensen rated it liked it
Shelves: english, language
A book with good qualities, simple to read, fun exercises but many of the words are obviously outdated and I have never encountered before. A book like this would be more beneficial if it had been written within the last 20 years.
Denise Lopez
Aug 08, 2007 Denise Lopez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students/english as a second language
Shelves: educational
"Where I learned the meaning and use of words such as sycophant and osequious. Unfortunately, they're still not part of my everyday lingo."
Lorelle
Jul 13, 2008 Lorelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geeks like me.
Recommended to Lorelle by: My dad.
Woohoo. A book for geeks like me who enjoy spending time learning big words. (Which I rarely use in normal conversation, mind you. I have to dumb down my word choice for some of my friends...)
Anirudha Sundaresan
Anirudha Sundaresan rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Biana Yap
Biana Yap rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Murdoc Romes
Murdoc Romes rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Chellane
Chellane rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Miranda Zhuang
Miranda Zhuang rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Erika Smith
Erika Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Syed Rahemuddin
Syed Rahemuddin rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2016
Sagar N.
Sagar N. rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
RIYA
RIYA rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Oshun Jones
Oshun Jones rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2008
Tamara Ingram
Tamara Ingram rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Siddharth Paralikar
Siddharth Paralikar rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Naveen
Naveen rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Vincent
Second reading: 7-30-2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How to Build a Better Vocabulary
  • Instant Word Power
  • Ifferisms: An Anthology of Aphorisms That Begin with the Word "IF"
  • Verbal Advantage: Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary
  • Words Fail Me: What Everyone Who Writes Should Know about Writing
  • Fifty Famous People
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Word Smart: How to Build an Educated Vocabulary
  • The Man in the Red Underpants
  • Blown to Bits: Your Life, Liberty, and Happiness After the Digital Explosion
  • Whitaker's World of Facts 2009 (Hardcover)
  • The Joy of Lex