Start by marking “Everybody Pays: Stories” as Want to Read:
Everybody Pays: Stories

Everybody Pays: Stories

A hit man defies the confines of a life sentence to avenge his sister's batterer.  An immaculately dressed man hires a street gang to extract his daughter from a Central American prison, for reasons as mysterious as they are deadly.  A two-bit graffiti artist with a taste for Nazi-ganda finds himself face-to-face with three punks out to make a mark of their own—literally—w ...more
Published September 7th 1999 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Pays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Pays

Stephen Brownell
Dec 30, 2016 Stephen Brownell rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Terrible. Dark for darkness sake. Poor writing and unrealistic characters. Not for me, couldn't even finish 40%
Trekscribbler
May 01, 2011 Trekscribbler rated it it was amazing
In this collection of short fiction, Vachss' prose reminds us that evil is real, as tangible as a lethal insect crawling in our direction. The situations are as close to home as fiction can get -- protecting one's self from a vicious rumor and accidentally killing the teller in the frenzy; murdering pedophiles in exchange for getting one last shot at the thug who ravaged a family member -- and show that every single person alive is in some way, shape, or form touched and tormented by crime.

The
Tim Niland
Aug 22, 2012 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
This is a collection of crime writer Andrew Vachss’ short stories, written during the 1980’s and 1990’s while he was also writing his terrific series of Burke crime novels. The short stories collected in this book follow some of the same themes of the Burke series: fighting back against the exploitation of children, plotting revenge against past wrongdoings, and just trying to survive in the urban wasteland. There were a couple of aspects of this book that make it particularly interesting to Vac ...more
Sharon Michael
Aug 27, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it really liked it
I'm not usually much of a short story reader but Vachss is one of my favorite authors, though his books have such a bitter edge I find them difficult so I re-read just very occasionally.

In some ways, these short stories are easier than his full length novels and the dark tone is not quite so pronounced. As always with a short story collection, I liked some better than others and my favorite is the one that is more ironic than bitter, a classic example of the type of scam that Burke tended to ru
Lara
Oct 08, 2014 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Tough, hard prose. Distilled down to the dark matter that Nibbler eats. Astonishingly clever twists and turns. I got bogged down in the race car/Harris jet/weapon specs technical stuff, which would probably appeal to dudes, and would repel me from reading more of the Cross stuff. But the short stories were short sharp shocks that made my eyes go wide, so I think I'll try the Burke series.
Beau Raines
Mar 24, 2016 Beau Raines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a compilation of short stories about the nefarious under belly of society. But what makes these stories great, is that you never can tell who is the good guy or who is the bad guy - and one sentence changes the whole story. I found myself re-reading sentences because I didn't believe what I had just read - the person I had been despising for the story just becomes the hero.
Natalie
May 11, 2007 Natalie rated it it was ok
Andrew Vachss is a lawyer who writes pretend-noir fiction on the side. It's okay, for what it is, which is mediocre nouveau-noir. (Is that a real genre, or did I just make it up?) His protagonists are almost invincible and have an unending arsenal at their disposal, and are laughably one-dimensional. Quick reads, though, and entertaining enough.
M
Aug 02, 2011 M rated it liked it
A step down from his Born Bad collection, this series of stories about the game of revenge and consequences shows why this is an earlier work. The majority of the volume is filled with a closer look at Cross and company, which is fine, but would be better served in its own Cross compendium.
Kim
Apr 08, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok
Very very short stories were pretty good. I couldn't even read the "Tunnel" series it was so bad. The Cross novella was okay, but Lawrence Block does this kind of sophisticated double cross so much better.
J.C.
Oct 02, 2007 J.C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This man is very, very dark. He writes a series that I haven't tried yet but his short stories are memorable, and not always for good reasons. check him out.
Joanne
Jun 01, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it
Sad but intriguing stories in first half/ 2/3 of book.
Last 1/3 (novella) was a bit of anti "patriot" / anti-american propaganda.
Steve
Dec 22, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
I love Vachss work, but I love THIS Vachss work best of all. It's tough, angry, loving, horrifying, beautiful, sad, and hopeful...often at the same time.
David
Aug 12, 2012 David rated it really liked it
The usual from Vachss, as he continues the mine the psyche of the nobly amoral criminal. Especially notable for the Cross stories.
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Ron S
Ron S rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Donnie Hazle
Donnie Hazle rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
JAn
JAn rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Charlie Thompson
Charlie Thompson rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Shane Mckenzie
Shane Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2008
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
scott fisher
scott fisher rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2008
Mockery
Mockery rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Koray
Koray rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Xnightflier
Xnightflier rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Erin Robertson
Erin Robertson rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2009
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2012
  • Sex Crimes: Ten Years on the Front Lines Prosecuting Rapists and Confronting Their Collaborators
  • Three-Fisted Tales of "Bob"
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories
  • Recoil
  • The Book of Jim
  • Los Angeles Stories
  • Flinch: A Novel
Andrew Vachss has been a federal investigator in sexually transmitted diseases, a social-services caseworker, a labor organizer, and has directed a maximum-security prison for “aggressive-violent” youth. Now a lawyer in private practice, he represents children and youths exclusively. He is the author of numerous novels, including the Burke series, two collections of short stories, and a wide varie ...more
More about Andrew Vachss...