March Story, Vol. 1 (March Story #1)

March Story, Vol. 1 (March Story #1)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Born of tragedy, damned by desire.

Reads R to L (Japanese Style), for M audiences.

Among the quiet villages and towns of 18th century Europe, demons known as the Ill hide within the most beautiful works of art, sparked to life by the torment of their creators. Attracted by their jewel-like allure, the unwary find themselves possessed by the Ill and driven to horrific acts o...more
Published October 19th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about March Story, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about March Story, Vol. 1

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaBlack Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana TobosoBleach Volume 01 by Tite KuboRurouni Kenshin, Volume 1 by Nobuhiro Watsuki
Best Manga Series
47th out of 139 books — 147 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaRurouni Kenshin, Volume 1 by Nobuhiro WatsukiSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraPretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Manga Book Club's Top Picks
30th out of 102 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Cornerofmadness
I got this new one when I returned a duplicate book. The story is set in the 1700's (which is hard to tell without them actually telling you that). The world is filled with demons known as the Ill. They inhabit works of art and tempt people to pick them up and use them and then they inhabit the people. The Ciste Vihad hunt down and destroy the Ill. The story follows the life of a young hunter, March. This particular hunter has some oddities going on, such as Ill-like horns that sprout during a f...more
the golden witch.
I decided to read this one one day on a whim whilst strolling through Barnes and Noble, since I’d been hearing hype online about it before it hit the shelves. The jacket image caught me – what can I say? I’m most definitely a sucker for gorgeous art – and what seemed to be an interesting story. It wasn’t just interesting. I wanted the second volume right away.

This series is being released in North America under Viz’s SigIkki line (as apart of their partnership with Japanese publisher Shueisha an...more
Shellan
Dieses wundervolle Manga ist ab 16 - und das aus gutem Grund. Es ist ein bisschen brutal und blutig. Hat meiner Meinung nach so ein bisschen was von einem Horrorfilm. Es ist zwar eine durchgehende Story über March, aber irgendwie gleichzeitig auch Kurzstorys.
Kim Hyung Min's Zeichenstil ist wirklich gut. Sie zeichnet sehr detailtreu. Kleine Sachen werden liebevoll ergänzt.
Ich fand die Story wirklich spannend, und auch das "brutale" hat mir gut gefallen. Ich liebe ja Horrorfilme eh, von daher pass...more
Yolanda Casica
We follow the character, March, who works the Ciste Vihad. This group persists and executes the destruction of demons known as 'the Ill.' In this world demons are hidden within beautiful pieces of art (jewelry, paintings, ect.) created out of the anguish of their artists.

Visually creative and quite stunning in some scenes. However, there is mature content in this series, so not for young'uns. It had some nudity, yes, but it was more of just strategically placed art than a demeaning representati...more
Yosie
Mar 20, 2011 Yosie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
The first few chapters started out okay, but the ending taken me in completely. The dialogue is a bit weird to read at times. I'm not sure if that's the way it's translated or the way its actually written. But in the visual department, March Story's art style is a twisted and a darken labor of love. It will draw you in...I'd say check it out!
Kent District Library
“March is a member of the Ciste Vihad, an organization that tracks down and hunts the Ill. Ill inhabit treasured every-day objects, in turn possessing the humans who come in contact with them, often leading to bloodshed and tragedy. However, in this dark world of demons, March’s story with the Ill may be the darkest of all. This 5-volume series contains fantastic art and deeply impactful stories. Each chapter is powerful in its own way, and March is joined by a wonderful cast of characters. I wi...more
Arctic Fox
Warning: This manga contains blood, nudity, and blood (oh and did I mention blood and nudity?)

I have fallen in love with the story of March Story. Back when this manga was still new (and there were only 3 out) I found this book sitting very lonely on the shelf of a near-emptied manga section of a book store that was having a huge "everything must go before we close our doors" sale..

The story line is amazing, the artwork is amazing... I find it a very nice mix between "oh shit" and "awww -in tear...more
アレツクス コツト
I saw this first at borders before it closed down. I was walking down the manga aisle`s enjoying some of seattle`s best coffee :D(the green tea latte was amazing) Anyhoo i saw this cover art and really loved the art. This was wrapped since it is adult material cause of the gore and nudity n such. But i never got it at first. whenever i went to the bookstore i always saw this book. For me im hella picky when it comes to manga. Not because of the storyline or anything, but the art. Idk why im so p...more
Mairéad (stuck at the Edge of Nothingness)
WOW THIS IS LIKE GORGEOUSLY BEAUTIFUL!!! <3333

The art and story are splendid and I just fell in love with the story and the art. I was reminded of D.Gray-Man another series that I really do love, but I must say... March Story stole my heart away from D.Gray-Man. o.o

The fact that March turns out to be female and her own tragic story really impacts you. I never felt so engrossed or moved by a story like this. And the fact there's many males in D.Gray-Man compared to females (and I always though...more
Titis Wardhana
Ill, iblis kecil yang suka menghuni benda2 yang indah, dan akan kalau benda2 itu dipungut sama orang, ill akan menghasut orang itu untuk melakukan deepest desire-nya, yg jahat tentu saja. Kalau orang yg dirasuki belum membunuh manusia, orang itu masih bisa diselamatkan, tapi kalau sudah membunuh, maka jantung orang itu sudah diambil oleh ill dan orangnya sudah mati.

Sedangkan March, dia awalnya hanya anak kecil, tapi dia melihat kakaknya dibunuh, maka dia pun menyerah terhadap godaan ill, tapi il...more
Chelsy
Wow. Again I say, "WOW!" This has to one of the best mangas I have ever read. I loved this one as much as I loved Godchild,and that's saying something. The stories were so good! The writing is spectacular; it's hard to find a manga with an--at least--decent story line. And the artwork is be-u-ti-ful!
Now, I have yet to find a manga that's good all the way around, and this one had some issues of its own. The main attraction here was the violence. There was blood spattered somewhere in each chapte...more
*Queen Diva*
The artwork of this manhwa is PHENOMENAL!!! The story and artwork is dark and creepy, and I absolutely loved it! But I was absolutely blown away by the gorgeous, detailed artwork. I cannot wait to read the rest of this series!! I hope it's as awesome as the first volume!

Check out March's bad ass scythe!! (though I'm not a fan of this picture of March cuz she looks too girly and soft, and it's not a look that suits her well, in my opinion)

March Story photo marchstory_zps7d2cb46e.jpg

Nicole Bunge
Oct 17, 2011 Nicole Bunge rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Cain Saga, Doll,Vampire Hunter D, and Wallflower.
(warning, it is MA - violent, graphic, and contains nudity.)
The artwork is beautiful, and reminds me a lot of Kaori Yuki (Godchild/Angel Sanctuary), Mitsukazu Mihara (Doll) and Tomoko Hayakawa (Wallflower.)
And yes it's "Manhwa" (Korean- not Japanese) but... if anything, that makes it more hard-edged in my opinion.
Other than that... typical demon hunter w/a past, thinly veiled plays on historical events (Countess Bathory in one story) and a bit of romantic tension.
But it's quality: no gaping plo...more
Akeyla Pratt
This is actually the first manga I've ever read, and I LOVED it. The story is very interesting, and the artwork is so beautiful! I would love to see this as an anime.
Kristy Lantang
i like the style of the characters and i like the fashion. the story is fine although it's kinda scary and thrilling.
Jenna
Reminded me a lot of D.Gray-man plot and character-wise. The art was nice but at times I had no idea what was going on. Similarly the -spoiler- that was supposed to be shocking... was what I guessed from merely staring at the cover. May read more of it or maybe no..

EDIT: Just read volumes 2 and 3. The plot is rather repetitive and I'm not sure if I like March as a protagonist. But the drawing style is still nice. I'm not sure how anyone could not guess the vol 1 spoiler but maybe that's just me....more
Qana Blue
<3 WANT TO READ THE NEXT VOLUMES
Ricki
This is a beautifully illustrated yet highly gory horror. Each chapter could stand on its own, but March’s backstory is slowly and expertly doled out through it, so they are much richer together and make for excellent reading. The story and illustrations compliment each other so well that it is amazing it was a collaboration. Not for the faint of heart, but definitely a keeper.
Ariana Deralte
I bought this on the gorgeous cover art, and was not disappointed. It's a beautifully illustrated horror story. The first two chapters are a bit generic in plot, but it picks up after that and shows back story and heart. I devoured the final two chapters, and will happily read more.
Jessie Radford
Started this series was surprised by the amount of blood displayed. Plus when they explain the heroines story its horrifying. It definitely has the makings to become a very tragic story with no happy endings for anyone.
James Hansen
Nov 03, 2010 James Hansen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Manga fans.
Recommended to James by: Nobody
Really good book, gives slight tidbits of her backround and her past as the story goes on. Can't wait for the next book on April 19th, 2011. 6 months and 16 days from this moment.
Sakurablossom87
Awesome story! Artwork is amazing and beautiful. Love the whole circus feel to it and it looks like it's going to be a great story.
Michelle
The anime is AMAZING. The creatures known as "ill" that posses a humans body with their desires.
Melissa
Breathtaking artwork with a dark, twisted plot.
Gally
4/5 stars for the series
Snow
reviewing for Booklist
Lottie Eve
I have no words...
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 1
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 1
  • Durarara!! Saika Arc, Vol. 1
  • Deadman Wonderland Volume 5 (Deadman Wonderland, #5)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 02 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica, #2)
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 04
  • Tegami Bachi, Vol. 6: Letter Bee
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 3
  • Future Diary, Volume 2
  • Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun, Vol. 1: Lost Things
  • Gate 7, Volume 1 (Gate 7, #1)
  • Mushishi, Volume 3
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 04 (Library Wars: Love &  War, #4)
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 05
March Story, Volume 2 (March Story #2) March Story, Vol. 3 (March Story #3) March Story, Vol. 4 (March Story #4) March Story, Vol. 5 Bonjourrr!!! Perancis (World Tour Series, #2)