The Duppy

The Duppy

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Baps, a Jamaican shopkeeper, drops dead unexpectedly one Saturday morning and finds himself being transported to heaven via a crowded minibus. To enter heaven, he discovers that he must crawl through a culvert in a canefield. Everything about paradise that he had been raised to expect and believe, he finds to be utterly and completely wrong.
Published March 1st 2007 by MacMillan Caribbean (first published December 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Duppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duppy

Stop
Jan 21, 2009 Stop added it
Shelves: reviewed
Read the STOP SMILING review of The Duppy:

Anthony C. Winkler’s The Duppy is the most laugh-out-loud funny novel I’ve read in years. Chronicling the death and afterlife of Taddeus Baps, Jamaican shopkeeper cum “duppy” — island slang for soul or ghost — the book blends postmodern metafiction with folklorist regionalism in a raucous contemporary satire of the wages of sin.

Read the complete STOP SMILING reivew...
Rattyfleef
This book is rated J for Jamaican. Foreigners are advised to have a West Indian on hand to translate.

Not for true. Most terms can be inferred from context. This was hilarious and rather sweet. Recommended. There's no plot as such, or rather it follows the old Man Vs Himself personal journey (y halo there secondary school lit). Tension comes from how dense Baps is and how it takes him so long to clue in. A quick read, I enjoyed it and it will be making the rounds through my relatives and friends...more
Dave Quam
If I were to pick one book to describe myself, it would be this one. Absolutely one of my favorite books of all time. I want to live in a world where mangos grow teeth to bite the lips of thieves that try to steal them from the trees.
Melanie R
Love it. Possibly my absolute favourite. this book always makes me laugh and keeps me grounded.

Thank you so very much Mr. Winkler.Life would be so much simple if everyone recognised God and humanity like this!
Denise
Totally Jamaican classic comedy with a twist of controversy. It touches on religion, social casting, inhibitions, and boils them down in a cultural stew of Jamaican patois, beliefs and every day life.
Alana
Jul 29, 2011 Alana added it
"One Saturday morning, not very long ago, I dropped dead and turned into a duppy." Definitely unconventional!
Marvin
"One Saturday morning, not very long ago, I dropped dead and turned into a duppy" [that is, a sort of Jamaican ghost]. Thus begins The Duppy. The rest relates Taddeus Augustus Baps's experiences in Jamaican heaven, with a side trip along with God and a doubting philosopher to the American heaven. The Jamaican heaven is sort of a glorified Jamaica, where everything makes one happy--including beatings & getting run over by a bus--and a person has all the sex one wants . . . and more. The other...more
Lisa K
Winkle has a way with language and description that is not often encountered. He integrated a true feeling of Jamaican-ness into his story (perhaps a little overdone but well overdone…) creating a hilarious heavenly world with angelic sheep and ’nuff pum-pum (sex). His version of Jamaican heaven plays of the idea each Caribbean island holds, that God is (in this case) Jamaica and that their island is heaven on Earth. Winkler always manages to touch on some of the many social issues affecting the...more
Michael
I don't why I thought Winkler was a mystery writer, but The Duppy is more of a hippie Mark Twain novel, where our narrator goes to heaven and talks with God, a screws a lot of angel women, and has a few quirky adventures. This is the kind of Kurt Vonnegut, Tom Robbins fare that I loved when I was 19. It's sort of dogmatic in its anti-dogmatism and a bit smug and condescending in its humor. The prose is fine. Winkler's got the conversational tone down perfectly, and he certainly captures some sor...more
Tenecia
This is the 3rd Winkler book I've read and not my fave. I felt he had an interesting idea, but was purposefully trying to push buttons and kind of buried the idea along the way.

His concepts of heaven were definitely interesting to read and I liked the way he wrapped Jamaican opinions of Americans into how they would behave in heaven.
Becky
A strange book that I wouldn't necessarily recommend. You must push through the first third of the book before there are some interesting and profound things to think about, particulary whether or not you are a "shouldist" (one who does not accept things as they are but insists they be as they think they should be). Interesting...
Paul
The first half of this book is magic and actually had me laughing out loud in public so often on holiday that i feared folks around thought I was mad. But the tale of a Duppy (ghost) going to heaven on a Jamaican minibus looses its way somewhere in the middle and left me wishing that the journey would end.
Linda
A very interesting take on the afterlife. Lots of humor and parts that begged to be read out loud and shared with others. I struggled a bit moving in and out of the Jamaican patois (which seemed somewhat inconsistent to my untrained ear).
Rion Scott
Pretty hilarious. For much of it I shrugged, chuckled and asked what it added up to. Then like any good satire, the gags grow in depth and there is a pretty powerful core. This is like a 3.8.
V.J.
Delightful, original take on what the afterlife promises. I found this book laugh-out-loud funny on many occasions, and I'm sure I missed a good deal of the political and cultural references.
Yennie
Laugh out loud good. Loved it. Check out the review at the Hipster Book Club.
Cindy
Coming from the high of "Lunatic" I expected the same amount of laughter, was still there but not as great of Lunatic. Still a good read though.
AJ
This was an awesome look into the world of heaven. I highly recommend this book. Watch out for the vernacular.
William Clifton
Never reviewed anything before. Good book. this dude does not like fundamentalists and he is pretty funny saying so.
Kailin
Although there were times that i loved the language and cadence of this book - it was kind of annoying to read.
Christa
Not as funny as the Lunatic but still I nice read with a few chuckles...one of my favorite Jamaican authors
Andrea
One of the funniest books I've read in a long time, as well as a very poignant social commentary.
Puno
The funniest book I've ever read and the closest way to get into the mind of a Jamaican ghost.
Giselle Trent
A wonderful and humorous book of life after death in Jamaica.
Nicola
hilarious...shud definately read if u wanna have a good laugh
Tammy
Dec 06, 2011 Tammy marked it as to-read
Recommended in the book Tolstoy and the Purple Chair.
Nicqui
One of the best opening lines after Pride and Prejudice.
Todd Dills
Feb 25, 2008 Todd Dills rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want to laugh.
Oh so laugh-out-loud, folks. All for now. More later. . .
Barbara
Life after death in Jamaica, very funny.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »