Start by marking “Choice of Evil (Burke, #11)” as Want to Read:
Choice of Evil (Burke, #11)

Choice of Evil (Burke #11)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  850 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When his girlfriend, Crystal Beth, is gunned down at a gay rights rally in Central Park, Burke, the underground man-for-hire and expert hunter of predators, vows vengeance.But someone beats him to the task: a shadowy killer who calls himself Homo Erectus and who seems determined to wipe gay bashers from the face of the earth.As the killer's body count rises, most citizens ...more
Trade Paperback, 305 pages
Published May 2000 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Choice of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choice of Evil

Larry Bassett
May 19, 2013 Larry Bassett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
The names of Burke’s women are always quite original. This time it’s Chrystal Beth. Get it? Of course you do. Most of his women don’t last more than one book. His dog Pansy, a 150 pound Neapolitan mastiff has been there as a part of the family since the series began in 1985. She's his consistent woman.

Burke’s home has been a part of the stories as well. It is unique. But he has lost his home as this book, Burke #11, begins. This one came out in 1999. We have trekked with Burke for ten books now
Tim Niland
Aug 19, 2008 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
When con-man and unlicensed private investigator Burke's girlfriend is killed at a gay-rights rally, Burke seeks vengeance, only to find out that the killers have already been dispatched by a serial killer who is murdering anti-gay activists. Employed by a gay-rights group who wants to help this vigilante get away, Burke is drawn into a very complex web of crime and murder that could possibly involve the only man he has ever feared, the ice-man assassin Wesley. Vachss turns the conventions of to ...more
Dominick
Jul 21, 2014 Dominick rated it liked it
Given the option, I'd probably score this 3.5 stars, as it has some quite compelling bits. There's a narrative within the narrative, as we read a very disturbingly-depicted kidnapper's account of his final kidnapping. The rest of it, though, seems to try too hard, as is often the case with later Vachss books, to depict cold, amoral, damaged people. All too often, the result is forced, or, even worse, the characters and situations come across as absurd. His women, especially, beggar belief. There ...more
Ramzi
May 19, 2012 Ramzi rated it liked it
More of the same from Vachss and Burke's crew. The stories mostly fall flat these days but the strength of the Burke series has always been its characters which, for the most part, are ok here. That said, absurd coincidences are nothing new in Burke's world but there are more than a few in these pages that I'd consider groan-worthy. Nonetheless, I still give it three stars because as soon as Burke engages his target, the interaction between the two is both interesting and satisfying.

SPOILERS
A se
St Fu
Jun 28, 2014 St Fu rated it liked it
I like reading Vachss but I only rarely feel good about it. More often I feel I'm abusing a drug. Sometimes I feel like the drug was cut with animal tranquilizers. Still, I continue to risk it.
Ken Cook
Nov 22, 2015 Ken Cook rated it really liked it
A dark novel, set in NYC, with an intriguing cast of characters. Thoroughly enjoyed the plot development, and satisfying resolution. A good read.
Lorilee
Sep 13, 2015 Lorilee rated it it was ok
I usually love this series but not this book. It was boring and the family was barely in it.
Steve Dennie
Feb 06, 2012 Steve Dennie rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-lizard
In “Choice of Evil” (1999), a close woman friend, Crystal Beth, is shot and killed at a gay rights parade; several other people are killed, too. Then someone starts picking off gay-bashers, lots of them. He’s quite a prolific killer…and becomes somewhat of a hero in the gay community.

Burke is hired to find this killer by some gay rights people who want to protect the guy. The ghost of Wesley, a notorious killer who was a friend of Burke, permeates the book. But Wesley’s dead…or is he? And who ki
Stuart Mcgrigor
Oct 01, 2015 Stuart Mcgrigor rated it really liked it
Another great installment of Burke. Are we gonna get some more of Burke's back-story?
Genine Franklin-Clark
I don't know. It got stranger and stranger. I think it would've made a little more sense if I had read the preceding books. It did make me uncomfortable, with the casual acceptance of violence. I like action-adventure revenge (fiction only, please)stuff as much as the next guy (I love what I call "mindless violence" movies,i.e."movies for guys who like movies"), but this was . . . oh, maybe, too much a way of life for too many in this book.
Suvi
Oct 16, 2014 Suvi rated it really liked it
My second Burke novel and I enjoyed it almost as much as the first. The main character is interesting and complex and so are the rest of the characters. I like the way Vachss writes, they way he doesn't tell the reader too much and the way there's always a twist and a surprise or two before the end. Luckily not all real life criminals are this intelligent and chilling.
Ashvin
Jul 29, 2009 Ashvin rated it liked it
I love Andrew Vachss. Make no mistake, it's trashy, but it's fun as hell to read and filled with crazy almost comic-book scenes. I also like his general stance on the characters: tolerance for people of all types (one of the main characters in the series is a person who identifies as a female but is in a male's body), but none for the monsters of the world.
Andrea
Nov 30, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
I originally gave this four stars, but then I started thinking about how confusing Wolfe's motivations were at the end, and I changed it to three stars. This book held my interest throughout, and I especially liked the killer's journal portions, but things got jumbled and hard to keep track of at the end. Too many unanswered questions.

David Ward
Nov 22, 2015 David Ward rated it liked it
Choice of Evil (Burke #11) by Andrew Vachss (Random House 1999) (Fiction - Mystery) finds Burke hunting a serial killer who targets gay bashers. Is this Wesley, back from the dead? By the time I finished this 305 page novel, I didn't care any more. My rating: 5/10, finished 6/28/11.
January
May 02, 2013 January rated it liked it
I think I would have liked it better had I read the books before this because they have the same characters and at first it was hard to follow. I would definatley be interested in reading his other books though.
Laura Akers
Sep 30, 2013 Laura Akers rated it really liked it
Andrew Vachss's Burke books are always populated with characters I want to spend time with in dark scenarios pushing people's minds to consider what's really good or evil.
Ray Charbonneau
Feb 06, 2010 Ray Charbonneau rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
They're not very deep, but that somehow helps keep them from getting too repetitious.
Robin
Aug 19, 2012 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, 2012
Classic Vachss. More wonderful crime brain candy w/ Burke and his family.
Joan Brown
Feb 04, 2008 Joan Brown rated it liked it

another hard-boiled pot-boiler from Vachss. Good mind candy.
Hanna
Aug 28, 2012 Hanna rated it really liked it
One of the most thrilling books of the Burke series yet.
Ashley Turco
Ashley Turco marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
John Holbrook
John Holbrook rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Chris Kelsey
Chris Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Gary Collins
Gary Collins rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
  • Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey, #6)
  • The Small Boat of Great Sorrows
  • The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • More Beer
  • True Crime (Nathan Heller, #2)
  • Hoodtown
  • The Sweet Forever
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Hardboiled: An Anthology of American Crime Stories
  • The Trade Mission
  • The Big Bad City (87th Precinct, #49)
  • Sweet's Sweets
  • Scandal Takes a Holiday (Marcus Didius Falco, #16)
  • Black Money
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • Seven Complete Nero Wolfe Novels (The Silent Speaker, Might As Well Be Dead / If Death Ever Slept / Three at Wolfe's Door / Gambit / Please Pass the Guilt/ A Family Affair)
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
Andrew Vachss has been a federal investigator in sexually transmitted diseases, a social-services caseworker, a labor organizer, and has directed a maximum-security prison for “aggressive-violent” youth. Now a lawyer in private practice, he represents children and youths exclusively. He is the author of numerous novels, including the Burke series, two collections of short stories, and a wide varie ...more
More about Andrew Vachss...

Burke (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
  • Strega (Burke, #2)
  • Blue Belle (Burke, #3)
  • Hard Candy (Burke, #4)
  • Blossom (Burke, #5)
  • Sacrifice (Burke, #6)
  • Down in the Zero (Burke, #7)
  • Footsteps of the Hawk (Burke, #8)
  • False Allegations (Burke, #9)
  • Safe House (Burke, #10)