Born In trilogy collection (Born In trilogy #1-3)

Born In trilogy collection (Born In #1-3)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  4,399 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Contemporary Ireland is the setting for the stories of three beautiful, passionate sisters, each with a special gift and a hunger for true love. A complete trilogy in one volume: Born in Fire, Born in Ice and Born in Shame.
Published April 27th 1998 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Born In trilogy collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born In trilogy collection

Jena
Oct 01, 2007 Jena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Before you puke on your keyboard... I have to say that Nora Roberts does the most fantastic job of describing Ireland, I have never been (yet), but I honestly feel like I was there, and the character/family development is really great in this book. And yes, the love stories are awesome and heart-warming too!!! (ok, now puke.)
Brielle
I picked this up because it came in a stack of books, and I thought, why not? I've never really given romance novels a try, and it's fun to laugh at books sometimes. The first chapter of the first book in the trilogy matched my expectations splendidly: unbelievably dramatic occurances in less than 10 pages, and an excessive reliance on simile. But as I continued on through the story, I found myself really enjoying the characters and their joys and dilemmas.
Towards the end of the first book, I b...more
Hilcia
4.75/5.0 (A-)
Re-read the Born In Trilogy (1994 to 1996) by Nora Roberts (Born in Fire, Born in Ice, Born in Shame) for the upteenth time. Why do I love this trilogy? Well, Roberts has a way with her depiction of those small rural places in Ireland. In this case it's County Clare with its farming land, the village, pub, and all the requisite places: castle ruins, cliffs, and the sea. But of course Roberts' characters, from the protagonists to the villagers, are the main attraction. There is spitf...more
Arlene
I got hooked on the first book Born in Fire which is the story of Maggie Concannon. Maggie's story starts with the sale of her first piece of blown glass and the celebration in the local pub with her father. The owner of a series of galleries shows up to buy more of the glass and persuade her to sign him as her exclusive agent. Of course this is a romance so sparks fly as he pursues her.

The second book in the trilogy was Born in Ice, the story of her younger sister Brianna who has turned the fa...more
Ali
Nov 25, 2011 Ali rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves romance and Ireland
Recommended to Ali by: carey sturgeon
Wow, just (sighs). Nora Roberts spun a wonderful tale of people brought more to life with every turn of the page. Seeing the sisters bloom and grow in each story, the rich landscape, culture and essence of Ireland made everything so utterly complete.

The hard unyielding love that all fell victim, slave and owner to made my heart leap for them all.

In the end, to see Shannon give in to her heart was like living a deep fanciful dream. Oh to be swept up and carried into the magic and let go.

I can't...more
Bridget
I am not going to review every Nora Roberts book that I have read in the past because she is quite prolific and it would get redundant and I honestly cannot remember all the plots. I think someone finds someone else attractive but at least one cannot admit it so there is sexual tension, then lots of sex, and then they live happily ever after? Sometimes there is some magic , a family legacy, or a mystery. Certainly not great works of literature (however still 100% better than “the grapes of wrath...more
Galadriel Johnson
I have to say that I am addicted to anything Nora Roberts writes about Ireland. Irish Born is a three in one and I adore the stories of the three sisters finding themselves and romance while doing what they love. These women have relatively normal lives that are pushed into the extraordinary by their god given talents. Of course they are easy to read and follow the romance format, but they have such lovely imagery , character development , and just the right mix of everyday with glitz that it c...more
Katy M
Nora Roberts is a master storyteller.

This is a trilogy about family and life and choices; the triumphs and tragedies, kindness and cruelties, blessings and heartaches.
Every time I read her work, even if it's a 2nd or even 3rd time and I rarely read a book more than once, she draws me into her vision effortlessly. She has such an understanding of what it is to be human, both good and bad, that it borders on the psychic.
It doesn't matter which of her books you read, pick up one, I guarantee you wo...more
Lynda Tatad
A friend recommended this series to me, and I am so glad I was able to get the trilogy together all in one read! I loved all three, and the best part was that it took place in Ireland, a country the author has ties to and loves, just by the care she takes in making the reader fell like they are right there with the characters! The 2 main characters are sisters Maggie and Brianna Concannon. Raised in a home with a bitter mother who had no love for her husband or her daughters, especially as she f...more
Christin
Nora trades in feminine fantasy and this particular trilogy, along with her other one set in Ireland, happens to be my favorite. Now, I could rehearse all the militant Richesque rhetoric about the danger of insidious patriarchal archetypes, but I think you can read a romance novel, or I can, anyway, without losing my firm grasp on ironic distance and without beginning to desperately hope that the storyworld could actually be akin to my life. And I think that heteronormative troping has not rece...more
Amanda (LoveofJoe11)
Born in Fire: So far I've finished the first book in the trilogy. I have a sweet spot for anything Irish and I loved how this book took me back to my Irish vacation. Galway was my favorite stop on the trip, and I love that this is set in the West Country. That being said, I didn't fall in love with the book. I felt like the love story was a little forced. I'm really looking forward to reading about Brianna's story next and seeing how some of the previous plot lines develop.

Born in Ice: It was ni...more
Cornelia Ward
Loved this book!

This is the one of the first Nora Roberts books I have read. In the past, I have thought of this author's work as being too "light" and in danger of killing brain cells!

I picked up this book after my friend Sarah confided that she was reading this author's work. So glad I did! It's great to settle into bed at the end of the day and indulge the senses as I dive in to the traditions and customs of Ireland.

The characters in this book are complex and interesting. As with all good sto...more
Mari
Nov 23, 2010 Mari is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying it so far. One of those stories I can disappear into for a while, but it's not so all-consuming that I feel like I need to devour it in two days. That may sound like a bad thing, but I don't think it is. Sometimes you need a book to carry around with you for a while.

I love Maggie, an artist with a stubborn and proud personality. I can understand her, as I am both Irish and Italian (can we say stubborn? Yes, yes we can!). Her sister, Brianna is an intriguing character as well. Every...more
Caitlynn
Slow to start reading but hard to put down. I love these books...very detail oriented. Very predictable to the way of Nora Roberts
Chele Lee
as with most of her trilogy stories, the first one pecks interest. great details and makes a vivid picture. but the subsequent stories leave you feeling cheated. maybe I missed details as its an audio, so as always, I'll listen a second time.
Mary Sue
Typical of Roberts... Good description, steamy sex and that can't put it down ness... Ready for 2 and 3!
Duncan Mandel
More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA
Lynn Verrill
love! such a great Irish feel stories about sisters love and family struggle
Joy
I was left wanting more.I liked it. I love a good love story!
Becky
Sigh.... This book above all others is my favorite all time read... It has all the elements anyone who A. Loves Ireland B. Loves strong female characters C. Loves hot leading men D. Loves a strong sister bond, did I say hot leading men multiple x3 in this book yum!!! Nora Roberts does an excellent job of describing Ireland, I feel like I've been there after reading this book. ( one day I will). Great stories great characters great sexy romance!!! 1st books by Nora Roberts and hope to find more b...more
M.K. McClintock
I own quite a few books by Nora Roberts and this collection is by far my favorite and I won't deny it's because it's set in the Irish countryside and features delightfully written Irish characters. There are couple of smut scenes in each of the stories that are easily skipped over and don't overshadow the actual story. Roberts does a good job of helping you see the countryside and cottages and feeling the anxiety each of the women experience. My favorite of the three is the second, Born in Ice....more
Jenisse
I love Nora Roberts. That's just a simple fact. I've been reading her books for three years now, and I love them. I am a tad bit young to be reading this...only in my second yearo of highschool...but I absolutely ADORED this book. I think Brianna's story is my favourite Nora Roberts book of ALL with Laura Templeton's story in a close second (Finding the Dream/Dream Trilogy #3). It was amazing and I only worry about my future now...if I don't end up marrying someone like a guy out of a Nora Rober...more
Lindsay
Okay, after reading the entire trilogy I bumped up my rating a star. It still wasn't the best Nora Roberts I've read but I did come to care about the characters and wanted the best for them. This is a straight-up romance trilogy, so if you're looking for her thriller reads this isn't it! However, it did satisfy the romance sweet tooth and besides some cheesiness in some parts I did enjoy it. My favorite of the three was the second story centering on Brianna. This would make for a great "beach re...more
Robin
While I'm not a fan of romance novels, I absolutely LOVE this book! I have read it over and over. Most romance novels have a very weak plot and characters, but this series does not suffer from that at all. After reading these books I wanted to go to Ireland and actually meet these people...and stay at Brianna's inn to have some of her wonderful cooking! Besides the good plot lines, the descriptions of Ireland just further fuel my desire to see the country.
This is one of my favorite trilogies by Ms. Roberts. My favorite character is probably Grayson, and luckily, his is the best story. I love the ending where he teases Brianna about her composure being a facade. All three stories are great, and believe it or not, by the end of the third book, you don't hate their mother as much. It's nice to see the minor characters growth and development through the main characters' journeys. A fabulous read!!
MH
This is one of my favorite trilogies (and not just because it's set in Co. Clare). Nora Roberts has written three stories, each one centered on a different sister, each with their own personal struggles and great achievements. These are romance novels, but not typical or overdone. The sisters and other village characters are absolutely delightful - filled with drama and humor, you'll love the Concannon sisters and the people they love.
Lolli
Jun 28, 2007 Lolli rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the disillusioned
It's one of those guilty pleasures I should be ashamed of, like belting out Christmas carols three months early; something I don't really want the world to know, but too late now. It's good for what it is... I actually got sucked into the second book so hard that I sacrificed five hours of precious sleep for it. Maggie Mae the glass artist and Brianna the bread maker have won special places in my heart. Heh.
Kathy
romantic, idealized Ireland - where everything is green, people live at a different pace and with different priorities. hmmmm... I guess that's what makes romance books fun to read. These three books are about 3 sisters... one fiesty and passionate, one nurturing and controlled, one who was of a different mother - and tied to Ireland by a past life. Of course they all marry rich, powerful, handsome men. ahhhh.
Erin Jones
I really enjoyed the first 2 books in this trilogy. And though I enjoyed the 3rd books as well, it just wasn't as flushed out as the first two. I like how it rounded out the characters, especially the relationship between the older daughters and their mother - and I really enjoyed the husbands. But still... the third story seemed predictable and too simple - I felt like Shannon and Murphy deserved more.
Maureen
I always enjoy a good Nora Roberts. The later the book, the better the characterization. This is a second reading. A sister found it at a book sale and insisted I read it--and I did again and enjoyed it again. Maybe a wee bit too much 'boy-o' ing and such to 'get the local flavor' but there's enough diversity among hte characters to make it interesting.
  • J. D. Robb Collection 1: Naked in Death, Glory in Death, Immortal in Death
  • Falling Awake
  • The Manning Brides (Those Manning Men, #1-2)
  • Rogue Stallion (Montana Mavericks)
  • Kiss Me Quick (Kiss Me, #1)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...

“Make your mark on the world, and make it deep so it lasts.” 0 likes