Start by marking “Smart Mouth” as Want to Read:
Smart Mouth

Smart Mouth (FBI Agents)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,365 ratings  ·  65 reviews
"I'll leave as soon as you give me what I want." In another time and place, that might have a nice ring to it. But standing in a Chicago hotel room with a cub reporter as obstinate as she is hot, FBI agent Derek Knight knows he has to play it charming. Something like, "By holding on to that evidence, you're interfering with FBI business, ma'am, and by the way, those long, ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Mouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Mouth

Miss Kim
Erin McCarthy is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. I tore through this one in one day! It is a quick, funny, and most importantly hot read.

Derek is an FBI agent that investigates white collar crimes. He’s currently been working on busting a large pharmaceutical company that has been price fixing drugs. He’s finally got a breakthrough with a cooperative witness that is willing to talk. He’s located in Chicago.

Reese is a reporter for local paper in New Jersey. She took a crap assignment in
FlibBityFLooB
Wow. This book was such a disappointment to me compared to the last book I read by Erin McCarthy (Houston, We Have A Problem). The hero/heroine really had nothing between them other than that they were at it like bunnies the entire novel.

Seriously, the book was like a couple pages of pseudo-FBI case, followed by bunny love, and a couple more pages of silly case. I was floored when the hero and heroine admited their love for one another. I said to myself: "REALLY!?!?!??!?!!" Not in my book. That
Marleen
Light, easy and fun read. First 20 pages started out fantastic, then it becomes predictable & a little disappointing.
Cynthia
Plot- FBI agent Derek Knight is trying to uncover evidence of pharmaceutical price fixing fraud. His informat leaves key evidence in the wrong rental car driven by ambitious reporter, Reese. Derek drives after Reese to retrieve the envelope but Reese has already opened it and knows she's got a hot story. They meet and are instantly attracted to each other.

What was good- Reese and Derek were cute and funny together. Reese can be really flaky sometimes but it added to the humor. Example--Derek get
Angie
Cute story. If you like sassy characters and a book that makes you laugh, this is one you should pick up. Derek and Reese are two people who are so focused on their careers, their instant attraction is a surprise to both of them. But they go with it and find out that they are perfect for each other!
The reason it took me so long to finish was that several books in ongoing series by my favorite authors came out that I had to read asap!
Aurian Booklover
Reese Hampton works as a journalist for a very small New York newspaper, one third is sports, one third is obituaries, and one third is gossip. She has been send to Chicago to cover a very important wedding. Without permission from the happy couple or their powerful families of course. After a horrible flight, Reese lands in Chicago and goes to her rental car to seek out her hotel. A strange but very handsome man in a car is checking her out in the parking garage, and she is alarmed when he gets ...more
Michelle Toenniges
I've read all her fast track series and "mouth to mouth". Although totally predictable and sometimes eye-rolling moments, I have enjoyed them for what they are; sexy, light reads. I started this book and right away it annoyed me. Reese grated my nerves and in the beginning, she thinks he's a crazy stalker and after him explaining and hearing from others the truth, she takes off. She was very self-centered and in my opinion, pretty stupid and he was whiny...and I only got through 40 pages before ...more
Hana Feseha
What was good about this book was Reese (the main character) and Derek( her "boyfriend") were cute and funny together. Reese can be really flaky sometimes but it added to the humor. Example--Derek gets a call from the informant. Reese decides to tail him but isn't adequately dressed, decides brown pumps don't get with pajama bottoms so opts for the fuzzy slippers instead which she also wears on their first date to a Mexican restaurant.

What was very annoying- I know this is supposed to be a ligh
Kyraryker
Haha, great beginning! I've often been very paranoid like the female lead character Reese when by myself in a parking garage. I love how she starts to get into the car chase a little bit and the deli scene is hilarious. I can already tell Derek isn't going to know what hit him when he meets up with this woman.
Ok, call me wimpy or whatever but I don't think I would withhold evidence from a F.B.I agent. I know Reese is a reporter but damn it's the F.B.I! I would prefer not to end up in Gitmo or wh
Anna's Herding Cats!
Originally posted at Herding Cats & Burning Soup

Okay, yall know I love Erin McCarthy. She's become one of my favorite authors and I've really enjoyed almost everything I've read of hers but gotta admit this wasn't one of my favorites. The basic premise was great. A down on his luck FBI agent, Derek Knight, who is on the verge of taking down a group of corrupt drug companies but runs into a couple complications, namely reporter Reese Hampton who wants to break the story and advance her career
Jory
In what reality would an informant for the FBI put information in THE WRONG CAR and that car just so happens to be a rental car for a smokin' hot babe? And the FBI agent waiting for the information sees her and INSTANTLY gets a boner, and she drives off with the info and he chases her? And then she gets away and he figures out who she is and goes to her hotel room and they have sex? And then they fall in love obviously all the while having great sex and getting on each others nerves because shes ...more
Cathiecaffey
Wow, Laurel and Russ were so a beautiful couple for MOUTH TO MOUTH by Erin McCarthy. With Laurel being a heroine who is deaf, I also being deaf, could so connect with empathy and understanding with Laurel. This author did an outstanding job both portraying Laurel's independence but too showing those times too that we do depend on others but it doesn't make us dependent, it makes us even stronger for it. Russ was not just a yummy hero, but so a natural one! He learned through getting to know Laur ...more
gert
ok, i just read three of mccarthy's books and i'm just going to cut and paste my review for all three - because its all the same stuff!

don't get me wrong - they're exactly right for what i was looking for today: fun, fast reads with good-ish characters and fabulous sex.

"smart mouth", "houston we have a problem" and "mouth to mouth" are all great books - with "mouth to mouth" being a "better" book in terms of character development, story line, etc. but still, all three are definitely shy of hitt
Kasey
May 16, 2007 Kasey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Erin McCarthy has a dirty mind and I liked. This book was a little more sexually explicit than i thought it would be, but i still enjoyed it. The main character is a newspaper reporter looking for a litte more excitement and when she accidently takes an FBI agents rental car. A little bit of a crazy chase happens and the pair meet up later at her hotel room. She finds out that hes involved in a real top secret case and she decides covering the story is her ticket to money and fame town. Much to ...more
Carrie
TBR Challenge 2011- June Category: Contemporary. This book has been on my Goodreads TBR list since July 2010.

Smart Mouth is meant to be light, humorous and sexy. It's definitely light, and it's very sexy. The sex scenes are numerous and well done. The humor was more hit-and-miss with me, but it was mostly enjoyable and few times even made me laugh aloud.

The only things that marred my enjoyment was the preposterous plot and the big chip on Reece's shoulder. Since her antics were suppose to be hu
Shae
Smart Mouth was a great book. It was awesome, and oddly believable, but that doesn't help the fact that it came up short in a lot of areas. Mostly plot and character development. What I mean to say is that it had a freaking ton of sex. Lots. Lots and lots of sex. I really wish that there had been less sex. I felt like Reece did - that she just needed to go outside and be out of the bedroom for one night. She complained several times that they never went out and I have to agree. It was a really f ...more
Johanna
This was a funny fast read. I enjoyed it.
Elizabeth Trichel
I really liked this book! It was a quick, light read that made me laugh; I started the book Saturday morning and finished by the end of the day. Erin McCarthy did a great job portraying Derek as a sexy FBI agent - the sassy character of Reese was a perfect match that make this a cute story. This book did not have a super deep, involved story line, but if you are looking for a quick read (with lots of steamy scenes) this is a good read.
Grace
This was a DNF book for me. I have read several other books by this author and enjoyed them, but could not finish this book. I could not stand Reese, the heroine. I found her to be immature and could not understand how she was ever smart enough to became a reporter. I also thought Derek should have just arrested her for withholding evidence instead of going along with what she wanted.
Romance Reader
This book started out fantastic, but the last half was so full of holes I couldn't stop consternating on the unbelievability of it all. But then again, the beginning was so hot I almost didn't care. So five-stars to the first half and two-stars to the second half. And negative points for the gun scene--a total turn-off and totally disturbing.
Marian
I'd give it that fourth star, but truthfully I'm fairly certain I'll forget much of the book within a month. Which isn't to say that the book isn't good. It is. It's exactly what you'd expect it to be. Warm, fluffy, funny, annoying at times, but ultimately a fun romp.

Agreed about the personal ick factor for the gun's alternate use, though.
Trang Nguyen
Predictable book with not a whole lot to keep me intrigued to turn the pages. It seemed like every other chapter involved Reese and Derick having some kind of sexual encounter. I love a great sex scene in my romance novels but this particular book contained too much of it when it couldve been filled in with a little bit more depth.
Kim
This one is more steamy than the run-of-the-mill romances. I'm not necessarily opposed to that yet I didn't really care for the style. I liked the characters and the comedy/naturalness of it but yet not the overall style.
I won't be seeking out others by her but I won't try to dissuade anyone from reading her, either.
Hoover Public Library Adult Fiction
This is an easy fluff read. A reporter, down on her luck, ends up in the middle of an FBI stakeout and the story that could make her career. True to any chick-lit novel, the two fall madly (and passionately) in love. Be warned though, this is a rather racy chick lit novel and may not be for everyone.
Maura
I felt let down the lack of any real spark of attraction between the couple. The hero is a cop and the heroine is a reporter. Lack of communication and a lot of tell and no show and it just left me kind of empty. I want to feel something by the time I'm finished reading and this one didn't do it.
Terra
Kept me laughing through the whole book.
Dawn ♥ romance
This was a very steamy story with a good dose of humor. News reporter Reese stumbles across important evidence in an FBI case agent Derek is working on. Overall it was good book but a couple times I skimmed a bit during internal debate ... my rating 3.5*
K.
I honestly dont remember the last time I started to dislike the main character so fast. I dont think stupid even covers Reese. Hot man = stalker/serial killer??? Wow. I have liked Erin McCarthys books before, but that one character got to my nerves too much.
  • When Good Things Happen To Bad Boys (Includes: Dean Brothers & Friend, #3)
  • Merry Christmas, Baby
  • Swept Away
  • And Able
  • The Kept Woman
  • Simply Sexy (Simply #5)
  • Yours for the Taking (Domestic Gods, #4)
  • Just Perfect (Perfect Trilogy, #2)
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
  • Get A Clue
  • Killer Curves
  • Born to Be Wilde (Wilde Series, #4)
  • Bad Boys On Board (Includes: Watson Brothers, #1)
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written almost fifty novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for New Orleans, tattoos, high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.
More about Erin McCarthy...
Flat-Out Sexy (Fast Track, #1) Hard and Fast (Fast Track, #2) High Stakes (Vegas Vampires, #1) True (True Believers, #1) Hot Finish (Fast Track, #3)

“What are you looking at?"
"The woman I love." With all his heart and soul.
Reese looked over her shoulder. "Where? I don't see any one." Then she laughed, hitting the glass table with the palm of her hand.”
3 likes
“That sounded like an insult, but he wasn't sure. "What's a dillweed?"
"You. You're a dill weed."
Well, that cleared things right up.”
2 likes