Journey Into Darkness

Journey Into Darkness (Mindhunter #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,863 ratings  ·  75 reviews
A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published September 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Journey Into Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey Into Darkness

Nitsa
Makes you think twice about walking alone at night. Or ever. Contemplating a large investment in a barbed fence, a pit bull and a mote after reading about some of the heinous crimes he's profiled.
Shawna
What I didn't like about this book was Douglas's tendancy to reference stories that he already explored in his first book. Like the offensive ploy he claims he used that got Richard Speck to finally speak to authorities. He also reiterated the medical condition that downed him during the Green River Killer investigation. (Way to go on that case man, you guys finally nailed him after what 20 years?)

Douglas did write about some interesting cases that I hadn't read about before, and the book held...more
Maureen
Aug 08, 2008 Maureen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
There is no question that John Douglas was good at his job as a profiler at the FBI, and he helped develop a methodology for interviewing serial killers that has provided valuable data. That being said, I have a few points of contention. One is that there has been such an emphasis on serial killers, that everyone who murders someone is liable to be viewed in the same way. Most murderers kill people they know, and much of the time alcohol or illegal substances are involved, or mental illness, or...more
James
Heartbreaking and gripping. John Douglas recounts several horrific murder cases he helped investigate, focusing on the victims and their families. They're haunting stories, both in the impact of the killings on the families and then in the stress and grief accompanying the convoluted legal processes that sometimes followed, including a series of technical appeals, in a case cinched both by massive physical evidence and by a detailed confession, that had lasted - at the time of writing - more tha...more
Chris
I've always been pretty intrigued by Serial Killers and the people who track them down. If there was a way to get a job tracking them without going through lower law enforcement and the possibility of being stuck in Robbery or Vice or another department I would have made that my career choice.

All told, this is a fascinating book... not for the faint of heart, some of the material is graphic and hard to read.

It is about as close to looking in the face of evil as most people would want to go.
Maria
Любите ли вы сериал Criminal Minds, так люблю его я? А я его, признаюсь, очень люблю.
Прекрасно снятый сериал, с замечательными актерами, да еще и про маньяков и серийных убийц! Прелесть!
Речь в нем идет о команде агентов ФБР- профайлеров, которые охотятся на серийных убийц, насильников и других мерзопакостных персонажей, пытаясь проникнуть в мысли убийцы, понять его действия и предугадать его последующие шаги.
Естественно, я не могла пройти мимо книги, написанной Джоном Дугласом - реальным проф...more
April
I skimmed most of this because the author can sort of go on and on but it was still interesting to a crime/FBI/profiling freak such as me. Plus I now see where Criminal Minds gets 99% of its storylines from!
Shad
I liked Mindhunter better because the author stuck to what he knew and kept to a tighter structure. This work was less organized and was all over the map on subject matter and purpose.
Trudy
It is interesting to see what makes criminals tick. I like to think I learned ways to protect myself and the people I care about. I choose not to be a victim.
Laurie
Don't read too much of these, you will start seeing these traits in the most unlikely places... and people...
Kelly
A long book but full of information on a range of different cases.
Became a bit tedious when detailed more of the 'how to protect' chapters, simply because it broke the flow of the book.
Felt slightly odd reading it, as if he was one if those authors taking advantage of his position to become famous with a book (or 2), though I'm sure this is not the case.
Greatly disliked the final chapter on O.J. Simpson case because of the 'if I had done it, he would have been find guilty'style. the what if w...more
Quin
John Douglas and Mark Olshaker's Journey Into Darkness is a great book. The book does not really have a theme due to the fact that is is non-fiction. However, believe the point of the book is to give the reader insight into the mind of a criminal profiler. As a person who is very interested in serial killers and profiling, this is a must read in my mind. The authors use a style of writing that is very informative yet makes the reader feel like the authors are talking directly to them. Douglas us...more
S Sean
Journey Into Darkness sort of reads like a B-sides compilation of leftovers from Mindhunter, which Douglas/Olshaker published just a couple years earlier. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since Mindhunter was such a groundbreaking and damned interesting book.

The first few chapters of the book are in the Mindhunter mold, with Douglas at times sharing a rapid-fire accounting of the interesting details from many of the serial criminal cases on which he consulted during his storied career, punct...more
Christina
Being a devoted viewer or shows like CSI & Criminal Minds I thought this book would be interesting since it's written by one of the original Criminal Mind profilers for the FBI. Of course it was more hard to follow these crimes since you know from the start they are real cases. I did question whether I should let myself into that mind set or not. I did like how the author would go back & retrace where perhaps earlier efforts form law enforcement may have missed clues or signs on these cr...more
Gil
John Douglas was one of the pioneers in the science of Criminal Profiling and first authored "Mind Hunter" (Also excellent). His writing is rivetting, as are some of the things he's lived, most of which I'm happy to live vicariously. His books are not for the weak stomached or easily upset, but are very well written and fascinating!
Anyone wanting to write criminal psychological thrillers would be well advised to mark this one as research.
Rebecca Brae
Feb 26, 2013 Rebecca Brae rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Forensic Behavior Profiling
Shelves: reference
I wanted to read a book about behavior profiling and this was a good one. The author's writing style was conversational, so it was a very easy read. Although the cases were older, I felt the author picked interesting ones and went step by step through his analysis process in a logical and well defined order. Each chapter goes through different kinds of crimes/criminals (except a few in the middle that deal exclusively with child predators and one dedicated to the the family of a victim). The aut...more
Michelle
Enjoyed starting out with this book, but was quickly bored by the minutiae of each case. If I want that, I can read the full-length paperback on the crime. The authors know their stuff, but the insights, traits, gems of knowledge and other elements that would have enhanced my understanding and enjoyment of murder mysteries are almost completely buried under a ton of detail. It's like listening to that exciting story about the war that your grandpa tells, except you can't get him back on track wh...more
Alice
An interesting book about how the role of criminal profilers has evolved and effected results in fighting violent crime in the United States, but ultimately this book falls flat of the high benchmark John Douglas has set in some of his other books, such as Mind Hunters. I got the distinct impression that despite the title of the book, the author was not clear about what he was trying to achieve in writing it. There were lengthy passages devoted to the author's personal opinions on dealing with t...more
Black_velvet
As one famous quote states: “Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” But what if you choose to do so? Fight the monsters and take alook into the abyss of human mind.

Very intense and gripping book on real murder cases. And maybe the worst kind of killers - serial killers. How do they think? Do they have certain traits of character? Do they have some experiences in common? And how do people like Mr Douglas feel while hunti...more
Kim
It was good and gave a good look into the minds of criminals and how the system works. Definitely a read if this is something you are looking into for a career or just buffs like me that like to try and figure out why these people can do what they do.
Annette
Mar 07, 2008 Annette rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serial Killers and those who love them
Recommended to Annette by: Matt
My husband gave me this to read when I was 3/4 crippled (right leg, left leg and dominate right hand all encased in various enclosures). I read the part about the married Canadian couple who lured young girls into their home and kept them and raped them/tortured them until they had their fill and then killed them.

I had nightmares for about 3 days straight and thought a serial killer would see me in my walker on the stoop, follow me inside and pull a Kathy Bates/Misery on me. Scared the crap out...more
Lina
It was eye-opening book, even though it had some serious technical flaws. Those who say the stories were graphic are simply turning away from facts. These are real events and people are really murdered that way. It's not author's fault, he didn't invent them, that's how hideous some humans are. People better open their eyes and stop acting surprised when something horrible happens. Especially, people should pay careful attention to the fact that some of criminals are results of shitty parenting....more
Brandon Burrup
Another of John Douglas' informative books about what sets certain people over the edge and become killers. Some interesting case stories including a third person profile of the Simpson/Goldman murders even though he didn't actually work on the case. Its pretty obvious from the details of the scene that OJ was the best suspect and really the only suspect. Amazing that he got off. Those jurors should be ashamed of themselves.
Brian Barnett
Fantastic. Simply impossible to put down. Everybody would do well to read this book, as disturbing as parts of it are. As the author asserts, some things should not be pretended away or ignored. Additionally, the author's argument against the futile attempts of rehabilitation in certain cases, and his arguments for capital punishment are hard - if not impossible - for a reasonable person to disagree with.
Phil Hamman
'Journey Into Darkness' is a fast-paced read for anyone interested in the topic of what makes evil monsters tick. Douglas is able to weave intense emotion into his stories while sticking to facts. I can't imagine how Douglas was able to hunt and face these sick villains day after day and still press on to make the world a better place. I was completely engrossed throughout the whole book.
Luann
John Douglas, in my opinion the best FBI profiler around, talks about just a few of the cases he worked on over the years and how profiling came to be at the FBI. It's now a trusted and heavily relied upon tool in the criminal system. I find it so fascinating that they are able to tell you so much about a criminal by how they kill their victims and how the crime scene is left.
Naomi
For anyone who has any interest in criminal profiling, John Douglas is a must read. Now I must say that although I gave this book 5 stars, it is my least favorite book by him. This one seemed kind of forced. This was published at a time when he was at his height in popularity and you could tell from this book.
Vikki
The FBI's Premier Investigative Profiler penetrates the minds and motives of the most terrifying serial criminals. One chapter was on O.J. Simpson. That chapter made a lot of sense. I loved seeing how they profile. They can tell what personality the criminal has from looking at the crime scene.
Josee Leon
The book started off okay and I appreciated the chapter on how to keep your kids safe. I stopped reading the book three quarters into it however. I had put it aside and couldn't get back into it. I didn't care too much for the writing style, it didn't really "grab me".
Pascale
An at times unbearably sad and disturbing look into the crimes committed by of serial killers and how the profilers at the FBI Behavioral Sciences Lab in Quantico, Virginia helped to catch them. Made me feel like locking up my 15, 18 and 22 year-old daughters.
  • Dark Dreams: A Legendary FBI Profiler Examines  Homicide and the Criminal Mind
  • I Have Lived in the Monster: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Serial Killers
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • Signature Killers
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • Dead Reckoning: The New Science of Catching Killers
  • Bones: A Forensic Detective's Casebook
  • Special Agent: My Life On the Front Lines as a Woman in the FBI
  • The Last Victim: A True-Life Journey into the Mind of the Serial Killer
  • True Stories of Law & Order: SVU
  • The Want-Ad Killer
  • Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-Of-The-Century Chicago
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Echoes in the Darkness
John Edward Douglas is a former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent, one of the first criminal profilers, and criminal psychology author. He also wrote four horror novels in the mid 1990s.

-Wikipedia
More about John E. Douglas...
Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit The Cases That Haunt Us The Anatomy of Motive: The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals Obsession Inside the Mind of BTK: The True Story Behind the Thirty-Year Hunt for the Notorious Wichita Serial Killer

“There are certain crimes that are simply too cruel, too sadistic, too hideous to be forgiven.” 15 likes
“When rehabilitation works, there is no question that it is the best and most productive use of the correctional system. It stands to reason: if we can take a bad guy and turn him into a good guy and then let him out, then that’s one fewer bad guy to harm us. . . .

Where I do not think there is much hope. . .is when we deal with serial killers and sexual predators, the people I have spent most of my career hunting and studying. These people do what they do. . .because it feels good, because they want to, because it gives
them satisfaction. You can certainly make the argument, and I will agree with you, that many of them are compensating for bad jobs, poor self-image, mistreatment by parents, any number of things. But that doesn’t mean we’re going to be able to rehabilitate them.”
8 likes