Start by marking “A Forthcoming Wizard (Tildi Summerbee, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Forthcoming Wizard (Tildi Summerbee, #2)

A Forthcoming Wizard (Tildi Summerbee #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Halfling Tildi Summerbee led a typical, unexciting life, tending the house for her brothers while they managed the family farm ... until she was forced to assume the identity of her recently deceased brother and accept his position as apprentice to a great wizard.

Now she is central to an important quest where the lessons of her apprenticeship pale in comparison to those le
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Forthcoming Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Forthcoming Wizard

Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
He knew she was telling the truth. The thought of torture sickened him, but he would not balk at using it if he believed it would work. He had not the talent for reading thoughts or the ability to scry, as a few minor magicians he had once known. She must tell him. He had the knowledge to cause her to confess. He hated to ruin such an admirable specimen of dwarfdom by making her compliant, but his need was great.

This is the second and last book in Nye's duology (the first is An Unexpected Appren
I FINALLY finished. This one was a struggle for every word. I had found that in the first book (the Unexpected Apprentice) the start dragged a bit, but once the story started to move it had me pulled in and I barreled toward the last page. Not so much in the follow-up. Normally, I would have just put it down and called it a loss. However, I really wanted to know the end of the story so I struggled through.

The premise of the books is essentially "a little hobbit girl goes on an adventure". There
A lot of the books I read remind me of issues that I regularly think about. "A Forthcoming Wizard" (and "An Unexpected Apprentice") reminded me of the many times I have wondered about the concept of racism and the idea of “perfect/ideal”.

Back in the days the Shining Ones took it upon themselves to experiment with the knowledge they had acquired. Like all good scientist they asked themselves the question “I wonder what would happen if …”. Unlike the really good scientists, the Shining Ones forgot
Clay Kallam
“A Forthcoming Wizard” (Tor, $27.95, 430 pages) is the conclusion of a two-part series that begin with “An Unexpected Apprentice” and it’s a slightly dumbed down version of “The Hobbit.” The hero is Tildi, a member of the smallfolk, and she has possession of an immensely powerful artifact that a powerful evil wizard wants desperately. She is helped by elves, dwarves, werewolves, highly evolved bears and centaurs – not to mention a kindly graying wizard who’s offstage for a while, and various kin ...more
I took a break to read other books that were nearing their due date from the library. But I'm glad I came back to this book to finish it.

The final ending with its wrap up left me a little dissatisfied, but overall an enjoyable read. I hope my nearly 10-year-old will enjoy it too.
This book provides a stunning finish to this tale, begun in An Unexpected Apprentice. It was very hard to put down. Recommended, but read the first book before you pick up this one.
Nancy Greger
The pair of books in this series are a fine read. A pleasant "and everyone live happily ever after."
Fatma Y
Great tale that kept me hooked. Hoping for more adventures to come for Tildi in the future!
Kenneth Flusche
Better than book one, a little wordy but held my attention all the way to the last word.
Liked the first one better.
Teshas marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
David Sharp
David Sharp marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Neil Kulevich
Neil Kulevich marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Sherry marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Gina Mora
Gina Mora marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Marlene Olson
Marlene Olson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jody Lynn Nye lists her main career activity as ‘spoiling cats.’ When not engaged upon this worthy occupation, she writes fantasy and science fiction books and short stories.

Before breaking away from gainful employment to write full time, Jody worked as a file clerk, book-keeper at a small publishing house, freelance journalist and photographer, accounting assistant and costume maker.

For four year
More about Jody Lynn Nye...

Tildi Summerbee (2 books)
  • An Unexpected Apprentice (Tildi Summerbee, #1)
The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6) Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted Mythology 101