Start by marking “The Pirate Next Door (Pirate, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Next Door (Pirate, #1)
Preview

The Pirate Next Door (Regency Pirates #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,469 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Mayfair, London, 1810: Alexandra Alastair, a respectable young English widow, wonders if she dare add the new viscount who’s moved in next door to her list of potential husbands.

He certainly doesn’t look like the gentlemen on her list—Grayson Finley, Viscount Stoke, is tall and sun-bronzed, muscular and blue-eyed. He wears dress so casual as to be unclothed—long coats, le
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Next Door

Nikki
5 stars.

Laugh out loud, enriching, intelligent, gorgeous and smoldering read. I adored Jennifer Ashley's Mackenzie series (or what I've read of it anyway), and this little gem is right up there with the Mackenzie boys.
Catherine
I don't think I have ever run across an author quite like Jennifer Ashley. If I have, the name isn't coming to mind right now. She has the ability to make each of her series feel totally different from the others. Now, this can be a definite detriment if you love the way she wrote a certain series and go looking to her backlist hoping for other books in the same style... But if you like your authors to keep trying new things and surprising you, it will be a good thing.

This book was a very surpri
Beanbag Love
Ashley's style has definitely matured since her pirate series. These are fun, implausible and a little bit clunky, but I can't help but give her props for making me believe the characters belong together (although, like Perils of the Heart, I felt like we skipped over some of the 'getting to know you' stage) and keeping me interested in the outcome of the story.

No, you're not going to find the same masterful story telling as you'll find in the MacKenzie series, but these are better than a lot of
Jill
3.5 stars.
I love a good pirate book, a bit of swash buckling, scally wagging, kidnapping and romance on the high seas.
I wanted all that from this book and only got a bit. Grayson Finley wasn't piratey enough for me. Fair enough, he had reasons for that. But I sort of wanted to see that bad boy in action.
This was still a really great romance and I thorougly enjoyed it. In fact I am off to read the next in the series. I believe James Ardamore will give me what I am after. Afterall he is a very b
Elis Madison
So sue me. This one gets three stars because the adventure part was great, despite the fact that I thought the heroine was an idiot. And annoying. And such a saint she made me sick.

So here's the story. Alexandra Alastair was married once, unhappily. She's thinking of marrying again and has, with the help of a friend, mustered up a list of eligible men who might suit. She's thinking of adding her extremely hot new neighbor, Viscount Stoke, when, through her open window, she hears a man threateni
Lady Wesley
I love Jennifer Ashley's books!

Having exhausted the Mackenzie brothers (and, now that I think about it, doesn't that sound like fun?), I've turned to her Regency Pirates trilogy, first published in 2003-2005, which she is in the process of reworking and issuing as ebooks. Right now, The Pirate Next Door is the only one available, but The Pirate Hunter and The Care & Feeding Of Pirates are due out in May and June respectively.

So much happens that I won't even attempt a synopsis, but this book
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Mystery....Intrigue...Conspiracies...Abductions...Romance....Sex...

...SsssssWASHbuckling!!!

Actually, there is a decided lack of swashbuckling. I would have been happy with just a bit more swashbuckling. Not to mention a bit less harping from...damn it, what's her name? Alexandra. Yes, Alexandra is a bit of a nag, and Grayson is a bit of a bore, but that wouldn't be such an issue if this weren't (supposedly) about a pirate. Or, rather, a former pirate. Either way. Yes, Grayson is roguish and ch
Monty Cupcake
Meh. This book was cute & fun, but it never hit the high note one usually find in this author's books. I think because the feud/hatred between Finley & Ardmore seemed contrived. The big bad villain of the story was utterly ridiculous. It wasn't believable and made no sense.

Like the MacKenzies series better.
An Odd1
"The Pirate Next Door" by Jennifer Ashley is virile, casual new Lord and neighbor Grayson, hanging by the neck, rescued by red-hair unfulfilled widow next-door Alexandra. Pirate enemies Ardmore and youthful Bouchard shoot pistols, abduct innocents. Has the French Louis been taken by Napoleon's spies? Breeches strained by manly parts, and not, explicit sweaty interludes ... and typos: naval p117 for navel (Grayson licks Alexandra's "nautical"?) and make "due" p201 for "do". Yo-ho-ho, too much rum ...more
Linds
Feb 03, 2010 Linds rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance / pirates
This is just a fun, fast, light read. This is the second Jennifer Ashley book I've read and I'm officially a fan now. This is a much lighter read than The Madness of Lord Ian.

The best part of this book is the love between father and daughter, it was very sweet. I thought the ending was kind've convoluted which is why it's three stars instead of four.
milo
3 stars

I picked this because I needed pirate romance. It has been a while since my last read on Scandalous Desires .

Romance between former-pirate-now-viscount Grayson Finley or Lord Stoke and Mrs. Alexandra Alistair, a widow was pretty quick. She was his next door neighbor and he instantly fell in love with her upon her rescue when his life was at stake. He fell in love with her still throughout the book and he being passionate with her but only his big problem was he didn't tell her his true f
Aurian Booklover
Mrs Alexandra Alastair, granddaughter to a Duke, has been married before. Very unhappily, as her husband was notorious for his many mistresses and adventures outside the marriage bed. She lost her precious baby only a few hours after birth, and is still grieving for that loss. So now she is determined to marry again, and start a family of her own, with a good man. Someone who will really care for her, and not embarrass her. Together with her best friend, she has made a list of eligible bachelors ...more
Cerian
When I got this book, I knew it had good reviews but I wasn't really sure what I expected.But I absolutely loved it! It's romantic, sexy and funny. It's got the suspense and a bit of mystery. I enjoy romances that have humour in them as well (like Julia Quinn's books), for instance I'll just say the scene in the ball with Jacob...read the book and you'll know what I'm talking about, I don't want to ruin anything. It had me howling.
I'm very partial to a pirate romance as well, so this book had al
Tai
Overall, I did enjoy this read very much. However, there are just too many plot holes and things that did not make sense for me to be able to rate it any higher.

As for the characters, I enjoyed them all for the most part, though one them, Ardmore, drove me nuts. I knew previously that he is the focus of book two, but he does some crazy things in this book that annoyed me so much that I don't think I will read the next in the series. I understand that the author wants to make everything he does s
Kelly
2.5 Stars. Clearly, this story is completely implausible. But even within that, there are things that should have had at least a little realism to them. The heroine, Alexandra, sort of sucks. She is sort of dumb, but doesn't know it. I say she doesn't know it because she does things that she thinks are clever, but even in the implausible reality of this book what she does is really, really stupid. Seriously, she is in TSTL territory. For example, another character assaults her on the street, for ...more
Natālija
I really enjoyed this book. Despite the fact that it's light & the characters are very likable, it has its share of dark and intense as well. I'm very intrigued by the second book in this series because it's James Ardmore's story. If you haven't read this book I don't want to spoil anything, I'll just add that in "The Pirate Next Door" James acts like a villain, sort of anti-hero.
Robin
Widow Alexandra Alastair is making a list of potential husbands. After meeting her new neighbor, Viscount Stoke, she thinks about possibly adding him to the list. But the fact that Grayson Finley is a former pirate makes her pause. Enamored with Alexandra at their first meeting, Grayson is determined to charm her into his bed. He doesn't plan on Alexandra being caught in the middle of a war between him and a group of pirate hunters who want him dead.

This is a light historical romance with some f
Amy

I loved this story! Jennifer Ashley works her magic again with such a fabulous hero & heroine. This is one sexy pirate tale you don't want to miss.
Tabs
I usually don't care much for pirates. Pirate-speak makes me want to stab someone and I've found that "pirate" is often used as shorthand for "overbearing asshole who does whatever he wants."

Boy is there none of that here. What is here, though, is a sexy next door neighbor who has a really hard time buttoning his shirt up all of the way (hee), an exceptionally sensible and smart heroine, and lots of crafty pirate intrigue. There's also some very fun shipboard sexytimes and lots and lots of unaba
Rhonda
What a deliciously fun book, I loved it! Great characters, fun story, and a great adventure with some sexy Pirates! I look forward to the next book.
Beno
It took me ages to get my hands on this book, for that alone it gets a star. I love the pirates vibe that was going on in the book every time you feel like your in a civilized moment something shocking happens but its so piratey your like 'what did you expect.'
It's so obvious it's one Jennifer Ashley's first books I found it nostalgic. does that make sense? she has gotten so good there is hope yet for us mere mortals and for that another star.
And my third star is for the funny moments in this b
Jennifer Ashley
Apr 01, 2012 Jennifer Ashley added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Newly re-released ebook edition of The Pirate Next Door.
Tarra
Really good, fun story. Swashbuckling pirates, kidnappings, revenge, and no less than 6 declarations of love (to one very popular gal!)

This book was filled to the brim with characters and plot. At times it was a bit muddled and I was just hoping that no one new would show up to further complicate matters! Plot points involving the French King, a rogue Pirate who is not what they seem, a deal between Grayson and Ardmore, Alexandra looking for a husband, Grayson and Maggie, and then several second
Stevie
4.5 Stars easily. Simply delightful and charmingly romantic, reminiscent of classic swashbucklers from the 1940's. Jennifer Ashley has a way of writing in the elegance of the era with wit and humor that engages you throughout the story. I literally laughed out loud several times in the story. That is huge to me. The characters were complex and big as life. The story, as it thickens, had the perfect pace and build up. I especially loved how each character actions affected another which in turn af ...more
Heidi
Alexandra and Grayson story was a great one. Alexandra was strong and spirited. So glad she ended up with the right man on her list.

Grayson was a wonderful hero. I loved that he was brooding about everything except Alexandra. He smiled and grinned at her continually...very charming!

I really enjoyed this story, however not giving it 5 stars because about 75% of the way through the books, I kinda lost interest. Felt as though the author got side tracked with other details rather than the story of
Zoe
If I were to sum up this book in one word, it would be "inconsistent."

I would only recommend this book to fans of this particular writer or someone not interested in reading the best-written romance novels out there. Don't get me wrong; I love a good... er... trashy romance novel as much as the next person. And I ultimately did enjoy reading this book. But potential readers should approach this book with certain (read: low) expectations. The crux of my issues came down to character inconsistenci
Ria
Darn. I was really excited by prospect of The Pirate Next Door - a book about pirates from the writer of The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie! I mean, c'mon! How could it go wrong???

Weeeeell, I thought my enjoyment was hampered by my opting for the Kindle version of the book rather than a real live copy to have and to hold. I don't have a Kindle, just a Kindle app on my phone, so the reading experience is never quite as enjoyable as reading a physical book. However, just today I devoured and adored
Alina
Hmm... as I'd quickly made my way through Jennifer Ashley's Highland Pleasures series the question was - what else had she written that I fancied reading? The answer was the Regency Pirates series - though WHY they appealed still isn't clear to me, because I'll be honest, this was the first Pirate Romance I'd read. However, I'd enjoyed Ms Ashley's 'voice' in previous books... so why not these too?

She didn't let me down. Although this wasn't quite in the same league as the 'Highland Pleasures' se
Wench
How can you go wrong with a novel that's about a freaking PIRATE in the Regency era?

Well, it turns out you kind of can. So first off, if I have to expend a lot of mental effort to figure out how the staging for your first scene works, your editor and I, we need to talk. The conclusion that I and 4am Twitter came to was that it's just possible... maybe. But there's way too many mental gymnastics involved to believe in it.

Also Our Hero heals suspiciously quickly from ANY AND EVERY INJURY.

There's a
Lynn Spencer
Okay, this gets 4.5 stars. In honor of this book being 99 cents today (9/19/2012) and since I still remember how much I enjoyed reading it, I'm reposting my 2003 review from AAR. I was a brand new baby reviewer fresh out of school when I wrote this:

If you haven't tried any of this author's books yet, you just might want to get to it because The Pirate Next Door is, quite simply, a lot of fun. Watching proper widow Alexandra Alastair learn to let down her guard and actually enjoy falling for her
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 08:04AM
  • My Wicked Pirate
  • The Pirate Lord (Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Lady Pirate
  • Across a Moonlit Sea (Dante Pirates, #1)
  • Mate of the High Dragon (Of Dragons and Wolves #5)
  • Fade to Black (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #3)
  • The Pirate Prince
  • The Pirate Prince (Ascension Trilogy #1)
  • Ravyn's Blood (Ravyn War­riors, #1)
  • Jessup (Wylde Boys, #1)
  • Cowboy Way (Blaecleah Brothers, #3)
  • The Haunting of St. Xavier
  • The Bartered Bride (The Bride Trilogy, #3)
  • 3
  • Whispers in the Night (Moonlight Breed, #3)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.
More about Jennifer Ashley...

Regency Pirates (3 books)
  • The Pirate Hunter (Regency Pirates, #2)
  • The Care & Feeding of Pirates (Regency Pirates, # 3)
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #1) Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2) The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2)