Start by marking “Winter Days in the Big Woods” as Want to Read:
Winter Days in the Big Woods

Winter Days in the Big Woods (My First Little House Books)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  931 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Laura helps Ma and Pa make the little log cabin snug and cozy for the snowy days ahead. 1994 "Pick of the Lists" (ABA)
Published September 15th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Days in the Big Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Days in the Big Woods

The Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Little House Cookbook by Barbara M. Walker
Little House
32nd out of 77 books — 17 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
219th out of 335 books — 250 voters

More lists with this book...

Ricki
These are my favorite books to read to Henry. They make me want to curl up in front of a fire and cuddle with him.
Natalie Zagara
A charming story about a young pioneer girl and her family. The story weaves the tale of life in the woods of Wisconsin and the daily routines of a little girl and her family. The story covers everything from Pa and Ma's daily work, such as hunting, planting, sowing and gathering crops, churning butter and other subtleties. The little girls and their parents seem happy and cozy with their life. The realistic pictures paint a picture of what life back then would really be like. A straighforward, ...more
Eva Leger
I'm so pleased that Julia continues to love the My First Little House books we read. After she enjoyed the first one we read I was a little nervous that it would fall off. After all, these aren't the most exciting books in the world and that seems to be all kids are interested in these days. But she hasn't stopped enjoying them and has even asked me a few times if there are more. Instead of swamping her with all books in the series we've continued to read whatever we want with these tucked in no ...more
Theresa Landgren
This a story about Laura Ingalls Wilder when she lived in the woods of Wisconsin. The book goes through what her family does to prepare for the winter days that are coming to the big woods. They have to get the vegetables from the garden, her pa went hunting for meat, and her sister Mary and her have to churn the butter. The end of the book shows the family in the cabin being warm and having each other to get through the winter.

I would use this book in my classroom because it is a story that I e
Callie Stillion
Laura Ingalls Wilder`s tales continue! It`s all about being for beginners. Again, I`m excited that people that are little can be excited about the series.
When winter comes to the Big Woods of Wisconsin, Laura`s family has to prepare for the harsh winter. And her family is ready to use cooperati on to work against the trouble.
Pa goes and kills animals, and Laura, Mary, and Ma stay home and pick the veggies.
This book is really good. I recommend it for anyone!
Josie
My daughter is 2 and every night before bed she asks for "Dora(Laura) and her puppy Jack". We have read this every night for almost a month and she will not go to bed without it. I grew up reading Little House on the Prairie so it is wonderful to see that my daughter has taken an interest in some of my favorite childhood stories.
Spencer Moser
Winter Days In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder is about Laura and her family in Wisconsin. It goes through their daily life and the hardships they had to endure and the fun they had as well. This is a good book to read for a history section on the 1800's. I love reading Laura Ingalls because of the detail of her life and how her family was super cool with crossing the plains.
Tasha Johnson
A great story for learning about the colonial time period with young learners. The story puts children into their time with factual information but a fun family story. Moving through weekly chores and the daily life of Laura Ingalls Wilder will definitely keep young readers engaged and teach them a great lesson about the changes our world has gone through. The Wilder picture books are appropriate for young readers who are not ready for the young adult novels by Wilder.
Lora
I never knew this picture book series existed until recently. The narrative is simple, and the pictures are fantastic. It's a great introduction into the Little House series. And since I never read those as a girl, it's been a good introduction to me too! Our whole family enjoys these books.
Meredith
We love this series for our little boys, and I can't wait to read it to our little girl when she arrives. There are some awkward lines here and there, but I think that just comes with the period the book is set in, which I love. We hope to add all of these to our children's library at some point!
Naomi
A great segmented series that breaks out smaller stories from the series. This series is a great introduction to the Laura Ingalls Wilder series to move the young reader onto once they are ready. This one is an intro to life in the big woods and gives a good description of the chores.
Rosa Cline
These "first" books are absolutely wonderful! The illustrations are very nice and so eye catching for non readers. I LOVED them, am so glad I found them now I won't have to wait until my 2 year old granddaughter is older to share with her the wonderfully sweet stories of Laura and History back in pioneer days! LOVED THIS BOOK...

Lisa Martino
I grew up watching Little House On The Prairie so I was delighted to introduce this story to my son. It is simply written and is easy for a young child to understand. It paints a wonderful picture of what life must have been like back then.
April
not bad. nice pics. would blend seamlessly with original books.
Elanor
Mar 09, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
Dolly
Apr 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Another short and sweet segment of the classic Little House books. I haven't read the original story to our girls yet, so I figured I would set the scene with these My First Little House picture books first. They are nicely illustrated and tell a simple chapter of the story, and they are engaging enough to keep a child's attention.
Kendra
I had no idea that there were picture-book "Little House on the Prairie" books! I was so excited to come across one at the library and even more excited to read it to my children. And - the best part - my kids really enjoy them!! It's fun to introduce them to characters and stories that are near and dear to my heart. I love that the stories and illustrations are simple. And it makes me very excited to read the chapter books to my kids when they are a little older!
Dori
At first I was appalled at the idea of "dumbing down" the cherished "Little House Series" for toddlers, but when my husband brought this home from the library I was charmed. The series is faithful to the original books, breaking out each chapter of the original book into a separate book with plenty of pictures and simple sentences that my 2 1/2 year olds enjoy. And I didn't have to wait to share my favorite childhood books with them!!
Kim♥
Much to my delight, my boys who are five and two absolutely love these books! The "My First Little House" series takes stories out of the original little house books and illustrates them beautifully. My boys love to point out each family member and my five year old asks lots of questions. These books have become a wonderful way to introduce history and "the simple life" to my little ones. These books have great family values. :)
Elizabeth S
Does a great job not adding or subtracting or changing the story or the feel of the original Little House book. The words are taken straight from what Laura wrote. The pictures are drawn in the style of Garth Williams' art, with his permission. Overall, this book reaches its stated goal of slimming down (not dumbing down) the original book for a younger age to enjoy.
Olivia
Gabe and I read this together for School. It was wonderful. I particularly loved the story from Pa's boyhood when he and his brothers broke the sabbath to go sledding. Gabe and I had a good laugh over that one. Now I always bring up the sabbath day habits of the Wilder's and Ingall's when Gabe complains to me about our not-nearly-so-strict sabbath day rules.
Jess
I'm just going to throw this out there and say I love these books. As someone who grew up reading the Little House books, these adaptations for younger readers are absolutely wonderful. They serve as an introduction to the series, and are just absolutely beautiful little books. I know I'm going to put these on my future children's bookshelves.
Natasha Friegang
It was really fun reading this book to my Kindergarten class. We talked a lot about things that were the same and different from how we live in 2013. I loved the originals when I was little, and these were perfect for my class. I am going to find more on Amazon for sure! Excited!!!
Amber Graves
This book tells the life of Laura Ingalls as a child and what they have to do in preparation for the winter. It gives insight into what it was like to live back then, and how much it has changed. It is a good book for children the way it portrays the lifestyle in the pioneer days.
Bree
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Laura Komos
I loved the Little House books as a little girl, so I love that this version introduces early readers to this series. It's a great look at pioneer life through the view of easy historical fiction.
Riley Lazar
This book is a heart warming addition to the category of historical fiction. The story basically shows the obstacles Laura and her family have to get through to prepare for the frigid winter.
Jodie
I love the stories of Little House on the Prairie. It is a wonderful scrapbook of memories depicting how this country was settled by incredibly couragous and fearless people.
Angela
I read a few of these books to Elsa. She loved them. It was great to show her what life was like for other little girls, and to teach her gratitude for all that she has.
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • You Wouldn't Want To Sail On The Titanic!: One Voyage You'd Rather Not Make
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • The Three Snow Bears
  • Uncle Jed's Barbershop
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • A Little Prairie House
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Summertime in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)