Start by marking “Winter Days in the Big Woods” as Want to Read:
Winter Days in the Big Woods

Winter Days in the Big Woods (My First Little House Books)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  789 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Laura helps Ma and Pa make the little log cabin snug and cozy for the snowy days ahead. 1994 "Pick of the Lists" (ABA)
Published September 15th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Days in the Big Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Days in the Big Woods

The Little House Collection by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderLittle Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Little House Cookbook by Barbara M. Walker
Little House
32nd out of 77 books — 17 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
220th out of 329 books — 240 voters

More lists with this book...

Ricki
These are my favorite books to read to Henry. They make me want to curl up in front of a fire and cuddle with him.
Natalie Zagara
A charming story about a young pioneer girl and her family. The story weaves the tale of life in the woods of Wisconsin and the daily routines of a little girl and her family. The story covers everything from Pa and Ma's daily work, such as hunting, planting, sowing and gathering crops, churning butter and other subtleties. The little girls and their parents seem happy and cozy with their life. The realistic pictures paint a picture of what life back then would really be like. A straighforward, ...more
Eva Leger
I'm so pleased that Julia continues to love the My First Little House books we read. After she enjoyed the first one we read I was a little nervous that it would fall off. After all, these aren't the most exciting books in the world and that seems to be all kids are interested in these days. But she hasn't stopped enjoying them and has even asked me a few times if there are more. Instead of swamping her with all books in the series we've continued to read whatever we want with these tucked in no ...more
Theresa Landgren
This a story about Laura Ingalls Wilder when she lived in the woods of Wisconsin. The book goes through what her family does to prepare for the winter days that are coming to the big woods. They have to get the vegetables from the garden, her pa went hunting for meat, and her sister Mary and her have to churn the butter. The end of the book shows the family in the cabin being warm and having each other to get through the winter.

I would use this book in my classroom because it is a story that I e
Tasha Johnson
A great story for learning about the colonial time period with young learners. The story puts children into their time with factual information but a fun family story. Moving through weekly chores and the daily life of Laura Ingalls Wilder will definitely keep young readers engaged and teach them a great lesson about the changes our world has gone through. The Wilder picture books are appropriate for young readers who are not ready for the young adult novels by Wilder.
Meredith
We love this series for our little boys, and I can't wait to read it to our little girl when she arrives. There are some awkward lines here and there, but I think that just comes with the period the book is set in, which I love. We hope to add all of these to our children's library at some point!
Rosa Cline
These "first" books are absolutely wonderful! The illustrations are very nice and so eye catching for non readers. I LOVED them, am so glad I found them now I won't have to wait until my 2 year old granddaughter is older to share with her the wonderfully sweet stories of Laura and History back in pioneer days! LOVED THIS BOOK...

Dolly
Apr 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Another short and sweet segment of the classic Little House books. I haven't read the original story to our girls yet, so I figured I would set the scene with these My First Little House picture books first. They are nicely illustrated and tell a simple chapter of the story, and they are engaging enough to keep a child's attention.
Kendra
I had no idea that there were picture-book "Little House on the Prairie" books! I was so excited to come across one at the library and even more excited to read it to my children. And - the best part - my kids really enjoy them!! It's fun to introduce them to characters and stories that are near and dear to my heart. I love that the stories and illustrations are simple. And it makes me very excited to read the chapter books to my kids when they are a little older!
Dori
At first I was appalled at the idea of "dumbing down" the cherished "Little House Series" for toddlers, but when my husband brought this home from the library I was charmed. The series is faithful to the original books, breaking out each chapter of the original book into a separate book with plenty of pictures and simple sentences that my 2 1/2 year olds enjoy. And I didn't have to wait to share my favorite childhood books with them!!
Kim♥
Much to my delight, my boys who are five and two absolutely love these books! The "My First Little House" series takes stories out of the original little house books and illustrates them beautifully. My boys love to point out each family member and my five year old asks lots of questions. These books have become a wonderful way to introduce history and "the simple life" to my little ones. These books have great family values. :)
Elizabeth S
Does a great job not adding or subtracting or changing the story or the feel of the original Little House book. The words are taken straight from what Laura wrote. The pictures are drawn in the style of Garth Williams' art, with his permission. Overall, this book reaches its stated goal of slimming down (not dumbing down) the original book for a younger age to enjoy.
Olivia
Gabe and I read this together for School. It was wonderful. I particularly loved the story from Pa's boyhood when he and his brothers broke the sabbath to go sledding. Gabe and I had a good laugh over that one. Now I always bring up the sabbath day habits of the Wilder's and Ingall's when Gabe complains to me about our not-nearly-so-strict sabbath day rules.
Jess Michaelangelo
I'm just going to throw this out there and say I love these books. As someone who grew up reading the Little House books, these adaptations for younger readers are absolutely wonderful. They serve as an introduction to the series, and are just absolutely beautiful little books. I know I'm going to put these on my future children's bookshelves.
Natasha Friegang
It was really fun reading this book to my Kindergarten class. We talked a lot about things that were the same and different from how we live in 2013. I loved the originals when I was little, and these were perfect for my class. I am going to find more on Amazon for sure! Excited!!!
Amber Graves
This book tells the life of Laura Ingalls as a child and what they have to do in preparation for the winter. It gives insight into what it was like to live back then, and how much it has changed. It is a good book for children the way it portrays the lifestyle in the pioneer days.
Bree
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Laura Komos
I loved the Little House books as a little girl, so I love that this version introduces early readers to this series. It's a great look at pioneer life through the view of easy historical fiction.
Riley Lazar
This book is a heart warming addition to the category of historical fiction. The story basically shows the obstacles Laura and her family have to get through to prepare for the frigid winter.
Jodie
I love the stories of Little House on the Prairie. It is a wonderful scrapbook of memories depicting how this country was settled by incredibly couragous and fearless people.
Angela
I read a few of these books to Elsa. She loved them. It was great to show her what life was like for other little girls, and to teach her gratitude for all that she has.
Book Him Danno
Great story book for younger kids. We read the book and then talked about what it would have been like to live back then. Great for imaginative play opportunities.
Deborah Harris
Dec 22, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a8, ar-4
RL 1.56 GRL-G

AR Quiz No. 11199 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Lindsey
Such a cozy read! Perfect for a snowy winter's day. All that's missing is hot cocoa and a blanket (or a snugly baby!)
Michelle
I bought this picture book for my classroom library. It's a nice introduction to pioneer life. The little kids love it!
Zaidee
A little too old for Zaidee but fun to find a story book version of little house to start sooner with Z!
Hazel
Aug 19, 2008 Hazel added it
Shelves: own-it
Oh-we have two copies of this book. Hardcover and softcover. Dang. I love the little house...
Greta
We love all the My First Little House books! Four and a half stars for the series.
Mandy J. J.
Makes me want to spend a winter day like back then! Another good book for young kids.
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Knots on a Counting Rope
  • Uncle Jed's Barbershop
  • Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
  • The Library
  • Blackout
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)