Start by marking “Beer For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Beer For Dummies

Beer For Dummies

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Are you overwhelmed by the selection of beers available at your local pub or favorite restaurant? Do you know the difference between a lager and an ale? Would you like to try brewing your own beer but are too afraid that you'd blow up the kitchen? Well, fear no more! "Beer For Dummies " is your prefect introduction to the world of beer, covering everything from microbrews ...more
Published August 30th 1996 by For Dummies (first published August 16th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Beer For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beer For Dummies

Lots of cool information, a book you definitely need to go back to. If you like to drink beer and want to know what you are drinking and how to appreciate it more, well worth a read.
I didn't know the difference between an ale or a lager, an IPA or a wheat beer--and now I do. Still can't keep up with the boys, but at least now I might know enough to order what I like.
Why read: Requested from Amazon Vine

What impressed me: Everything in this book was explained in basic, easy to understand terms.

What disappointed me: While this book was a broad look at all things beer related, nothing is covered in extreme depth. Good for the parts you aren't interested in, bad for the parts you want to learn more about. I wish the topics touted on the front cover were covered more fully and topics like homebrewing and cooking with beer were left out.

Recommended: Not really. Ev
an interesting introduction to all things related to beer. my copy, from the library, was a bit out-of-date, recommending AOL and Compuserve as a internet servie providers. but the chapters on beer lingo, tasting, cooking, making and history are very good.
Miguel Barrera
Muy buen libro para aquellos que saben muy poco o absolutamente nada sobre el tema, es un libro más que todo introductorio que te lleva sin profundizar mucho sobre diferentes temas y tratados de la cerveza, no es un libro que aporte mucho a cerveceros aficionados que han estudiado y saben del tema
Jason Voegele
An engaging introduction to the world of beer. Although I wish there were more specifics about the various beer styles and less about beer culture in remote parts of the world, I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in beer.
Dhaval is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2015
farzaneh .p
farzaneh .p marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Georgia marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Jess Amenta
Jess Amenta marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Eric Jackson
Eric Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Dan J
Dan J marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Nikita marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Marina Andreou
Marina Andreou marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Simon Coope
Simon Coope marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jen Wang
Jen Wang marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Pietro Toniolo
Pietro Toniolo marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Kelley marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“American breweries preexisted American government; some of the breweries’ staunchest supporters were also the leaders of the new nation. In colonial America, the alehouse was second only to the church in importance. (As Martin Luther once said, “’Tis better to think of church in the alehouse than to think of the alehouse in church.”) Aside from being where the brewer plied his trade, the tavern also served as the unofficial town hall and the social and political focal point of every town. It was here that the townsfolk gathered to deliberate and debate, to socialize and share news and information with the community. To the colonists, the alehouses were cradles of liberty; while to the British, the alehouses were hotbeds of sedition. As early as 1768, the Sons of Liberty were holding meetings at the Liberty Tree Tavern in Providence; the Green Dragon Inn in Boston was called the headquarters for the revolution. George Washington made his headquarters at Fraunces Tavern in New York, where it still stands and serves beer, now in the heart of the financial district.” 0 likes