Start by marking “Haunted Illinois” as Want to Read:
Haunted Illinois

Haunted Illinois

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Join the author on a spell-binding journey through the bloody events
of the Civil War! Meet the spirits of the past and discover the places where
the dead still walk today! Travel along to dozens of haunted places in the
north and south. Witness the haunts of slavery and the Underground Railroad;
the haunted prisons of the Civil War; the Spirits of the Lincoln assassinatio
Published February 1st 1999 by Stackpole Books

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Illinois, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Illinois

Selkie
Although the book has places throughout the state, the majority deals with haunted places in Chicago & Decatur. He has at least one book out about Decatur as well.
Sadly, it overlooked the area in which I was most interested, even though it is a region that seems to be full of paranormal activity well known by its inhabitants.
Hanna Noonan
I actually enjoyed this book allot. iI think the authors purpose was to share what exciting\bizarre mysterious stories in Illinois. The theme of this book is kind of a mix of horror and mystery. Troy Taylor is an Illinois resident who is fascinated with history and ghost stories. He does a great job of relating the history of a particular place along with the allegations made about it being haunted without drawing conclusions. He lets the reader be the judge. He does not condone people trespassi ...more
Kelley Heaney

He does not condone people trespassing in grave yards or other places that should be kept private and so often just gives a general location of the place in question.
Bobby
As a native and resident of Illinois, this was quite a fun read. I found it, like a tongue in cheek, History or Discovery channel type piece filled with fun and great interest, but not necessarily to be taken with entire seriousness. Definitely worth the time and fully enjoyable! I love the idea of haunted places and I am sure some are here in my neighborhood with it's historic residences!!
Ray Rednour
I enjoyed it as a history book on interesting Illinois locations with just a little spookiness to it. Not an ideal read if you want something to keep you up all night. I probably would like it less if I wasn't already familiar with some of these locations. But an enjoyable easy read nonetheless.
Annie
I'm really not allowed to read scary books. While I enjoy being scared at the time, they tend to freak me out when I think about them later.
This one should be ok though because it really focuses on the history of the haunted places rather than the hauntings.
Oct 22, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the history of Illinois or with an interest in the paranormal
This book offers not only a historical look at Illinois, but also a look into why it is one of the most haunted states. This book provides numerous short stories of folklore and hauntings broken down into geographical sections of the state.
April
If you ever want to know anything about ghosts in Illinois, read this book. It covers just about everything in every big or little city.
Kathryn
The history behind many of the haunted places in Illinois. Some of the stories were interesting, but overall nothing great.
Heidi
Not bad, but wasn't as great as I thought. It was a free Kindle book, so I can't complain.
Beth
Better written than Haunted New York by Revai. Didn't really captivate me.
Joy
This was a pretty good one for it being a freebie for the Kindle. I enjoyed it.
Sandi M
Sandi M marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
FRANK WILKINS
FRANK WILKINS marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
David
David added it
Feb 16, 2015
Trace/Lara Hentz
Trace/Lara Hentz is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2015
Debbe Swafford
Debbe Swafford marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Sara Overbeck
Sara Overbeck marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Christine Peterson
Christine Peterson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Mary Jones
Mary Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
  • Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters
  • Haunted Ground: Ghost Photos from the Gettysburg Battlefield
  • Haunted Presidents: Ghosts in the Lives of the Chief Executives
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Alcatraz: A Definitive History of the Penitentiary Years
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Too Close for Comfort (Loveswept)
  • The Ghost in Me
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings: Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • Ghost Hunting Diary Volume 1
  • Farm Girl
  • Lure of the Night (Vampire Winter Saga, #1)
  • Haunted Wisconsin
  • The Body Departed
Weird Illinois Ghost Hunter's Guidebook: The Essential Guide to Investigating Ghosts & Hauntings Into The Shadows Haunted New Orleans: Ghosts & Hauntings of the Crescent City Haunted Alton: History & Hauntings of the Riverbend Region