Start by marking “You've Got Dragons” as Want to Read:
You've Got Dragons

You've Got Dragons

You've Got Dragons is a tale that aims to allay childhood fears.
Published September 1st 2003 by Peachtree Publishers (first published November 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about You've Got Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You've Got Dragons

Alyssia Cooke
Jul 13, 2011 Alyssia Cooke rated it it was amazing
Yes, I do apologise profusely, I've regressed to being a child again, which is why I'm reviewing a book aimed at 6 year olds! Or it could be because I needed a present for my younger foster brother...the first idea is more interesting, I'll stick with that! Either way, whichever one you chose to believe, this is a children's book that I was well impressed with.

Boring Stuff
Title: You've Got Dragons
Author: Kathryn Cave, Nick Maland
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books, 2002
Price: 4.99 supposedly, bu
Stef Rozitis
Sep 18, 2016 Stef Rozitis rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting book. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for children (except maybe older ones, or ones who are unusually articulate about their anxieties). It's a picture book, but one that could be useful for adults because it talks about mental illness (anxiety) in a very simple and dignified way and gives good advice about dealing with it.

I will consider whether in fact some children would like it but at the moment I am leaning toward sharing it with adult friends. Dragons in the
Lisa Campbell
Aug 02, 2015 Lisa Campbell rated it it was amazing
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book - Picture book.
Estimate of grade level of interest- kindergarten and up
Estimate of reading level - sources say 6+, but I think that 8+ is closer to the mark
Brief description - You've got Dragons is a gentle and humorous approach to talking to children about their worries. This is an excellent book for adults to share with children as a read aloud, but as the concept is pretty abstract young readers may not understand the point.
Identify at
Anayssa Pulido
Apr 13, 2013 Anayssa Pulido rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a little boy who has dragons. His heart thurds, knees wobble and hands shake. The dragons come out of nowhere and you don’t deserve them. No matter how much you try to ignore them they won’t go away. They show up when you least expect them-when you’re brushing your teeth, watching television or getting ready for bed. At first, i was a little confused as to what the "dragons" signified. I soon realized that the comparison of dragons was to real life problems in everyone's ...more
Rachel
Oct 08, 2007 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids with worries
This book was a little abstract for my five year old, besides, he loves dragons and so they weren't the best metaphor for something negative. However, once he gets a little older, or if something comes up that is really worrisome for him at some point, I think this will be a great book to read and talk about together. Basically it just uses dragons as a symbol for scary or troubling things, how we feel about those dragons, how we try to forget them and eventually how we cope with them and how ...more
Elysa
Jan 21, 2011 Elysa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love this book! My daughter and I read it together, curled up in a chair one morning. This delightful book is filled with wisdom about fear and difficulty, but it's presented lightly and with a bit of humor. The dragon metaphor lends the prose plenty of good humor while delivering solid advice and describing the hard truth about the unexpected trials that come into our lives suddenly and feel so overwhelming. I found myself nodding my head as Ben, the main character, describes what happens ...more
Nicole
Sep 14, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book, You've Got Dragons by Kathryn Cave, has so much more to offer than first impressions based upon the cover. The dragons are a metaphor for fears and anxiety, and, I thought, could also be synonymous with some mental illness. Dragons just appear without warning and can be hard to shake. Even on those days when all seems good, your dragons are never far away. Additionally, adults have their own dragons; they do not only attach themselves to children.
A light humour pervades the st
Karen
Jan 24, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

I thought it was really well-done, although a bit long-winded in places. The illustrations had a Petit Prince feel to them, so that was charming.

My main problem with this book is that we like dragons. We'd be delighted to have a dragon, even if they did scare us a bit. I realize that "dragons" were supposed to represent negative aspects to life, but my son couldn't understand why people wouldn't want dragons.
April
Feb 11, 2009 April rated it it was amazing
We picked this book up at the library today and I read it to my three year old expecting a book about a little boy and dragons. Which it was. What I was not prepared for was what a great book it was. It is not talking about real dragons (though my little boy didn't know that), but the dragons we all have to face every day and how to deal with them. I was almost in tears, it was so good.

I highly recommend this book. I loved it and it will probably be one we actually go buy.
Brittany
Jan 31, 2015 Brittany rated it it was ok
I grabbed this at the library because my 2 and 4 year olds like dragons and it looked from the cover. I'm not sure it was the best choice for my toddlers though.
I get that the dragons in the story are meant to be metaphors for childhood fears and insecurities and it may be easier to convey that idea to an older child (6-10 maybe), but as I was reading it aloud to my littles I couldn't help but be reminded of cartoony antidepressant commercials. Interesting concept, just not right for us.
Barbara
May 28, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I read this today with a 5th grader who's not a good reader. I thought it was a beautiful metaphor for anxiety. She didn't really get it, but I loved it. After the kids left, I read it to my co-leader, because I needed to share it with someone who'd appreciate it. Would love to hear from parents of kids with anxiety problems if this book is helpful.
Kareem Mckenzie
May 11, 2015 Kareem Mckenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took can be read by young children and adults. The book is about dragons but the underlying theme is really about "fear". The illustrations are great and bring the story to life. In addition, the story is not very long and is written with a large font. All in all, this is a decent read!
RachelAnne
Mar 06, 2012 RachelAnne rated it it was amazing
What a great, simple metaphor for helping children to cope with anxiety, worries, and miscellaneous problems of all shapes and sizes. You've got dragons. And dragons are a lot more exciting to battle than a murky shadow of worry.
Nicole
Mar 07, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_book, dragons
I liked the story in this one, though it was a bit wordy for a storytime and/or complex with how the illustrations accompanied the text. But it would be a good bedtime or one-on-one read with a child...
Maddypictures
Mar 22, 2012 Maddypictures rated it really liked it
I liked this book. "Dragons" obviously being a metaphor for whatever may be troubling you, or preying on your mind. I think adults will enjoy this book a lot more than children will, who may take it much more literally.
Erin
Jul 12, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Excellent choice for children who are struggling with anxiety or depression. The "dragon" allows the child to label their problem/concern as something outside of themselves. Highlights the importance of dealing with the dragon by not ignoring it.
Sara
Nov 09, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
I don't normally rate the books I read to my kids, but this one is one of my favorite books of the year period. It really struck home in a way I did not anticipate when we picked it up from the library.
Shelli
Apr 03, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
To children reading this book I'm sure they only see a young boy who is plagued with dragons. To the adult sharing this book there is a deeper meaning. Perhaps the dragons represent lies told, or challenges or obstacles in life.
Emma
May 29, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Dayuuuuum did I just read an allegory of depression to my 3 year olds??? So deep. And so simplified to explain it to them in their terms. It's a yes from me
Misty
Oct 03, 2008 Misty rated it it was amazing
Great book. My kids were entertained because it's dragons but it also has a good message and can open up an important conversation when you've finished reading it.
Thorsten
Jul 06, 2010 Thorsten rated it it was amazing
One of the best children's books I've ever read. Although as a teacher I shared it with many adults too and they all loved this.
M
Jan 07, 2015 M rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Great read overall, but perfect for when you are dealing with some heavy life issues and feel very alone in your troubles.
Dawn
Feb 17, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it

I liked this book a lot, but I feel that is necessary to explain what the dragons are before reading it. Great discussion starter.
Gina
May 15, 2009 Gina rated it it was amazing
It's a children's book, but also good for adults to learn from. We all have dragons...it's what we do with them that counts.
The Brothers
Mar 08, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, problems
A whimsical, yet honest, look at what to do when you've got problems (i.e. dragons). The illustrations are really good.
Ardis
Ardis rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2008
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2014
Bronwen
Bronwen rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Krista
Excellent book for children with fears, depression, or anxiety.
Carmen Tafolla
Carmen Tafolla rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • Please Say Please!: Penguin's Guide to Manners
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • Wings
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • Who Is Melvin Bubble?
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • Night of the Moon: A Muslim Holiday Story
  • Guji Guji
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • The Grannyman
  • Cherry and Olive
  • Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life
  • Parenting a Child Who Has Intense Emotions: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Help Your Child Regulate Emotional Outbursts and Aggressive Behaviors
  • The Way I Feel