Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love

Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Using techniques and ideas from her popular seminars, the author of Do What You Love, the Money Will Follow and Work with Passion shows how to break through the mental barriers to being your own boss and how to integrate what you like to do with your talents.
Published July 1st 1993 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Making a Living Without a Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making a Living Without a Job

Michelle
Feb 10, 2013 Michelle is currently reading it
I love this book and the workshops she provides. Her ideas and stories of other's successful ventures is reassurring and thought provoking on how to really live without a 9 to 5 job. It has been my new company "bible" this year as it allows me to dream and open my mind to how things could expand and develop in various different directions. Simple, straightforward. Not really a how to on specifics but more of a larger map of possibibilites.
Phil
Nov 27, 2012 Phil rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to create the work life of their dreams
When I attended Barbara's seminar of the same name about twenty years ago, I got far more out of her presentation than I expected. The core of her strategy is the concept of multiple profit centers. Instead of finding one job that makes $30,000, for instance, create three jobs that make $10,000 each. In time, one may grow to $15,000, one may grow to $20,000 and one may go away altogether. But new profit centers may present themselves as well. That's essentially how I cobbled together a living al...more
Beth
I read the first edition of this book a few years ago. I love this book! The author is very encouraging and inspirational and talks about how to start your own business. She focuses more on small-scale, work-at-home type ventures (rather than something where you would need to obtain financing or write a business plan). She encourages readers to discover their passion and offers advice for getting started, whether on a part-time basis or full time. She focuses a lot on the benefits of working for...more
Debbie Foege
I have to say, I didn't really have high hopes that I would get anything much out of this book, but It came highly recommended from a friend. It really did give some good advice and insight about tools, techniques and mindsets and beliefs you have to have to follow your passion and be successful making money at it.

I think the best advice I got from this book was the idea of having multiple streams of income. But mostly this book made me feel extremely passionate about finally taking that step t...more
Kat
I liked this book. It included bullet points, check lists, and blank lines to help you really think in addition to a handy resource guide in the back. This is good for someone maybe starting out on their business and needs some motivation or someone who wants to tart a business but does not think its possible.
What I did NOT like about this book was it was wayy too optimistic. I admit I am a pessimist but I have read many entrepreneur books and they always mention the hard facts. According to thi...more
Tiffany Young
An extension of Dan Miller's "No More Mondays," Barbara Winter's "Making a Living Without a Job" extends this knowledge to go beyond the basics to show you examples of what a life without a full-time job might actually be like. Not only has she created several different money-making endeavors throughout her career, but she trains many others to do the same.

My favorite portion of the book is where she talks about creating multiple streams of income. She has you picturing a juggler, who begins sp...more
Cindy
In her book, Barbara J. Winter writes about "winning ways for creating work that you love", how to be your own boss, and explore your entrepreneurial dreams and ideas.
I found this book a timely read even though it's original printing was in 1993. Especially in this economical struggle for many, the author shares not only her own experiences with entrepreneurial business ventures;but other's who have gone on their way to being their own bosses. She writes, "Big businesses have lost their cachet,...more
Kristin
I first read the previous edition of this book several years ago. That time I sped through, loving every word. This time, I still loved every word but I read it more slowly, not wanting to get through it too quickly. Several parts of the book were especially memorable to me this time around. First, the description of self esteem as self awareness really resonated with me. I have always felt that I was lacking in self esteem, and this simple definition has helped me immensely. I am now trying to...more
Anung
Great book if you don't want to go the traditional route to make money. And no, this is not some scam for get rich or half-ass plans for money. It is really well thought out and researched. I was already going down this path and loved hear about others who are also doing so. It works out for different interests and personalities. Even going great examples you can try out. I loved the idea of Multiple Money Making Centers. You can work on different things at different times but everything has a d...more
LA Carlson
May 23, 2012 LA Carlson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring entrepreneurs
Recommended to LA by: found it at the library
Shelves: how-to
Do you long to work for yourself? Does everyone around you kill your dream because they are busy being miserable working for someone else? If this sounds familiar this book is for you. Barbara J. Winter offers common-sense ideas and enthusiasm about starting your own business. It's refreshing, informative and her stories about her own job experiences will hit home. A native Minnesotan who now runs her own business in Las Vegas gets it
right when she proclaims; everyday more of us decide to inhabi...more
Amy
This book offered great insights and inspiration for my transition from unemployed to self-employed and self-empowered. Barbara speaks from the heart and balances general, self-help suggestions with actual business tips and ideas you can start using immediately. While some of the recommendations are dated (the version I had, which I think was the most recent, was updated in 1993!), so much of it is timeless. I really like Barbara's approach to "multiple profit centers" so that you never put all...more
Tony Bradshaw
I really liked the fill in the blank spots in the book, but I had a library copy, so I think I want my own copy to work through it again and actually scribble on the page!

The book is extra optimistic, but most new/small business owners need a this kind of outlook at the critical point when this book would be recommended.

I think it needs a follow up about how to manage employees. Something with a title like: How to convince someone their job isn't boring.

Elizabeth Clark
The book contains some good information and ideas. However, the quotations from well-known people are not properly documented, and there is no index.
Ilana
There were some good ideas and some good thought process prompts throughout the book. It got a little touchy feely at times but I think overall it was useful, interesting, and a good starting point for someone interested in making this kind of life change.
Glenn
An unrivaled depth of subject knowledge conveyed so logically and without the usual hype or pressure, it exudes wisdom.
Shannon Nolte
I read the first edition of this, and I'm currently reading the most recent. I just love Barbara Winter's ability to deconstruct societal expectations that we should all be defined by one occupation and one occupation only. What a horribly depressing thought. This book is one of the most encouraging things out there for those who want to start their own business, or make their living in a more unusual way like for example, several part-time jobs which would allow one to write or pursue other int...more
Rachel
I read this a couple of years ago and remember especially appreciating her assertion that you don't have to confine yourself to one "career track" (although I still question that a bit while wanting it to be true). I found it a bit harder to identify with her personally, since she seemed very !Extroverted! and !Entrepreneurial! and !Teach-y! (not really characteristics that play into my personal career leanings). But that's just a personal quibble.
Earleen Smith
Barbara Winter has a fantastic approach about how to get there, how to find your path and how to enjoy it along the way! I highly recommend this very worthwhile read to anyone. It helped me take another look, a look from a different perspective and find a joy in my life that I have always had and never realized. She also has a website and sends out an occasional newsletter. She honest, direct and her writing is clear and understandable.
Yodamom
Undeniably, In my humble opinion- the best self bossing book out there. It covers all aspects from the beginning who you are and who you want too be. It walks along with you to brighten your outlook on the future that me be within your grasp. Helpful tools to keep you centered and within a time frame help as well. This is a book that you will want to read, re-read and read again. It gives you the chance to grow your wings.
Marjorie Elwood
This was an inspirational book about tossing off the shackles of regular employment and working for yourself. I particularly liked her idea of "multiple profit centers": diverse ideas for making money that aren't necessarily in your main area of work. Some of the book was more pep talk than practical, but most of it clearly laid out what you need to do and consider before and while embarking on being "joyfully jobless".
Lindsey Lang
Mar 10, 2010 Lindsey Lang marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-to-read
a truly eye-opening book for anyone who has always wished for something more than the 9-5 grind. my husband read it first and we've both taken so much from this book! it's helped us to realize that there is more out there if you're willing to try for it and that you don't have to settle into a life/job that you don't want.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR ANYONE WHO FEELS LOST OR WHO SIMPLY WANTS MORE OUT OF LIFE
Pam Hoffman
Nov 05, 2009 Pam Hoffman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sell-bossers!
Second time around and I'm working the exercises and getting so much more out of it!

This is a practical, thorough approach to earning money outside your job - even going the 'joyfully jobless' route.

I bet the updated version is even better - I'll be checking this out to see what I'm missing.

Highly recommended.
Kay Cassidy
I first read this back in my corporate days and WOW. What an eye-opener! The idea of having multiple, smaller income streams from things you loved to do rather than one traditional job that provided all your income was mind-boggling. A thoughtful approach to making a living doing what you love. Thanks, Barbara!
Belinda
Jul 01, 2009 Belinda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my girl friends
Shelves: self-help
Very motivating! I think I was meant to own my own business, I'm just too chicken to leave my job right now. I really think this book could be the motivation some people need to just do it, especially if you are unhappy with your work. I fully plan to do some of this once I retire. At home moms, read it!
C
Read at the right time in my life. Actually purchased it in 1996 (still had the receipt in the book) but didn't begin reading until these past few months. Very inspiring, encouraging, and helped me to focus on what I want to do. Especially liked the concept of beginning with "the end in mind."
Marissa
This book gave me the courage and conviction to quit my job. It's a little self-helpy, a little touchy-feely, but I needed a little of that for encouragement and support. I love that Barbara tell not only her own story but also those of countless others she's met and/or mentored.
Cathy Newton
This book was recommended to me by a friend when I quit my full-time job with benefits---and started my own speaking/training business. It was just the fuel I needed to spark my entrepreneurial spirit! This book provided useful tools, guidance and (most important)inspiration.
Karla
A classic that only improves with time, particularly in the current economy. The best way to create a life you love is to build it around meaningful work. This book helps you figure out just what that is.
Chris
Sep 07, 2012 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Would-be entrepreneurs
Great book with lots of useful advice and helpful information. I like the author's positive attitude, enthusiasm and passion for the subject. Very inspiring. Now I just have to put her lessons into practice.
Bebe Burnside
This is a great book for someone who wants to become self employed and just needs a little push. I can't say I learned anything new, but I did get a new perspective on some things, which is always good.
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • The Handmade Marketplace: How To Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, And Online
  • One Simple Idea: Turn Your Dreams Into a Licensing Goldmine While Letting Others Do the Work
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
  • The Way to Wealth
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
Golden Scarab (Timeline Graphic Novels) The Intrigue Master: Commander Long And Naval Intelligence In Australia, 1913 1945 The Australia-First Movement Wen das Feuer verbrennt (German Edition) Oxford Reading Treetops Graphic Novels: Level 16: Fight for Rights

“Your past is not your potential” 2 likes