Blank-133x176
Restless Nights

Dino Buzzati

Restless Nights

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Recueil de nouvelles précedemment parues dans la même collection en deux volumes ("Les nuits difficiles" et "Le rève de l'escalier") où l'on retrouve la virtuosité, l'imagination et la concision de l'auteur.
Published (first published 1971)

John
Buzzati reminds me of Calvino, only a little more willing to go to strange places. In these short stories (and I mean short-short stories - 23 tales packed into about 120 pages) a hotshot reporter acquires the ability to exist simultaneously in the present and the future with the help of an ancient grimoire, a group of engineers building the Eiffel barricade themselves at the top of the structure and try to keep building it infinitely higher, a literary genius slyly begins to write successively...more
Alex V.
This book was a lot of fun. In this collection of micro-stories - most lasting only a couple of pages - Dino Buzzati comes off as the visiting writer at some liberal arts college in the fourth dimension. Focused more on architecture than character, many of the stories involve the fabric of reality elongating, telescoping in and out, collapsing on itself and yet, he does this in an immediately readable and rather fun way. His protagonists often find themselves dumbfounded by the twists of time an...more
Richelle
Best greatest magnificent glorious book ever.
Greg
The Count’s wife is growing wings; a man grapples with his destiny in the form of a sadly misunderstood sea creature; another man is given a devilishly well-tailored jacket. In Buzzati’s modern fables the world is confoundingly and diabolically at odds with human wishes.

The stories in Restless Nights span 1942 to 1971, the bulk in the late sixties. They seem surprisingly lightweight compared with his 1940 novel, The Tartar Steppe, which stands up to anything by the mid-century existentialists....more
Alessandro
Amaro, troppo amaro per essere il testamento di uno scrittore,come già saprete “le notti difficili” è l’ultima raccolta di racconti curata da Buzzati. Lo stile e le tematiche per fortuna sono sempre le stesse, l’avanzata del progresso a sfavore della favola e dell’illusione, il passare del tempo, le inquiete attese, l’illusione spavalda della giovinezza contrapposta alla vecchiaia, la vanità e la superficialità dell’alta società, gli arrampicatori sociali, la precarietà dell’amore, l’irrimediabi...more
Bardha
Marinaret e vjeter besonin se ai qe pikaste ne det perbindeshin e quajtur Kolombra , ishte taksur te perfundonte ne barkun e saj. Stefano Roi e sheh qe dymbedhjet vjec, nga kuverta e anijes se babait. Imazhi dhe thirrja e saj nuk i ndahen me asnjehere, as ne stere as ne det. Dhe ne udhetimet e shpeshta, si kapiten i nje anije, ai do te kerkoje vazhdimisht ti shmanget kolombres. Por ne pleqeri, pa mundur ti beje balle tundimit, nje mbremje zbet nga anija me nje fuzhnje ne dore dhe niset me varken...more
Jeff
I'm rapidly becoming a huge fan of Dino Buzzati's fiction, and Restless Nights is an excellent introduction to his stories in translation. Buzzati's unique outlook has echoes of Jorge Luis Borges, but Buzzati is his own man, and treats his subjects with considerably more compassion and sympathy than characters typically receive at the hands of the more cerebral Borges. Buzzati loves to throw emotional and philosophical conundrums at his protagonists, and the joy of reading his stories arises fro...more
Bbrown
I prefer his longer works but Buzzati writes a mean short story as well:

"One morning around ten o’clock an immense fist appeared in the sky above the city. Then it slowly unclenched and remained this way, immobile, like an enormous canopy of ruin. It looked like rock, but it was not rock; it looked like flesh but it wasn’t; it even seemed made of cloud, but cloud it was not. It was God, and the end of the world."

I don't know if I've ever read a more intriguing opening to a short story. His stuff...more
Maria Paiz
This book contains 23 short stories by master writer Dino Buzzati. More than short stories, however, these are existential allegories about society and the changing times around him. He alludes, for example, to industrialization, to the debasement of social values, to godlessness, to corruption and misinformation by the government, and to the alienation felt by members of society. Buzzati lived, after all, in Mussolini's Italy, so his writing reflects the zeitgeist of his time.
Blowersdaughter
Nell'introduzione al libro ci viene detto che mentre Buzzati lo scriveva si preparava alla morte. Non c'era bisogno di dircelo, lo si capisce da soli. Un addio che si ripete in quasi tutte le pagine, e che inizia con un appello alla fantasia "Galoppa, fuggi, galoppa, superstite fantasia. Avido di sterminarti, il mondo civile ti incalza alle calcagna, mai più ti darà pace."
Ben
Some of the most beautiful and insightful stories I have ever read. Despite each of them being incredibly short, every word that Buzzati picked was perfect, and he made his points and insights all the more powerful through his succinctness. Highly recommend these stories and his works.
Aygul A.
Secondo me, Dino Buzzati e' una stella molto luminosa tra i grandi scrittori del Novecento italiano - coi suoi racconti e con i suoi romanzi. Mi sono ripromesso di leggere tutte le sue opere))Si puo' toccare le anime e rimenere un lungo periodo di tempo.
Booklover
Esp like the Bewitched Jacket. He writes "God should have stopped me", compelling. I read this story years ago and have tried to relocate it ever since. I plan on reading more of Buzzati, I like his surrealistic style.
Federico
El cuento "Siete pisos" es uno de los mejores que he leído.
El estilo general me recuerda a Kafka, Camus y Borges.
Me gustó mucho!
Jessica
Excellent. A master of the form: tales and the very short story.
Robert Nagle
Masterpiece of short fiction. Compare to HC Andersen or Borges.
Hadi Arefi
Hadi Arefi marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Margherita Mlrb
Margherita Mlrb marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ross Scott-buccleuch
Ross Scott-buccleuch marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Someoneyouknow
Someoneyouknow is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Mrkarnp
Mrkarnp marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Chitladar Phayuhapol
Chitladar Phayuhapol marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Jaci Millette
Jaci Millette marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
White Rabbit
White Rabbit marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
  • Fugue State
  • Tales of Hoffmann
  • Downriver
  • Citizen In Space
Dino Buzzati Traverso was an Italian novelist, short story writer, painter and poet, as well as a journalist for Corriere della Sera. His worldwide fame is mostly due to his novel Il deserto dei Tartari, translated into English as The Tartar Steppe.
More about Dino Buzzati...
The Tartar Steppe La boutique del mistero Un amore The Bears' Famous Invasion of Sicily Il segreto del Bosco Vecchio