Start by marking “Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork” as Want to Read:
Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork

Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork

Possibly the most famous and widely used resource in therapeutic bodywork, this beautifully written, detailed and reader-friendly picture of how and why the body responds to touch is both scientifically reliable and inspiring. Furthering the presentation of recent research in biochemistry, cell biology and energy medicine in the Second Edition, this new and greatly expande ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Station Hill Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Job's Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Job's Body

Celeste Cooper
May 20, 2013 Celeste Cooper rated it it was amazing
As an author of self help books, registered nurse, and advocate for chronic pain issues, I am always looking for information to broaden my own knowledge base, but that’s not the only reason I read books like Job’s Body. I happen to be a chronic pain patient. The greatest pain generator for me is a condition we don’t hear much about, but we should, myofascial pain syndrome. I am reviewing from a professional and patient perspective.

Deane Juhan does a marvelous job explaining exactly what the skin
Despite its age (first written in the 80s and while updated, there have been many advances in understanding Juhan does not include), this book remains not just vital, but vibrant. Sure there are issues I had with it. For a book that purports to use science to understand the power of touch, there are far too many conclusions that are not backed up. It is often confusing where exactly Juhan derives his information. But as a catalyst, and a poetic one, Job's Body works beautifully in 2011. I've alr ...more
Feb 18, 2015 Pete rated it really liked it
A good resource for everyone, expressly for masseuses on understanding how the body responds to touch from a scientific point of view.

I found this most illuminating when I looked up why did any massage technique not produce the expected results. Tons of other useful sensory information in this great book.
Maggie Lang
Sep 13, 2016 Maggie Lang rated it it was amazing
A great read for ALL massage therapists and/or anyone who works with the human form.
Jen Marin
Jun 10, 2010 Jen Marin rated it really liked it
I found this book just as inspiring this time as I did the first time I read it. His explorations of the connective tissue framework are especially intriguing. I also really appreciate the reminders of just how much of our nervous system is located outside of the cranium. I think this is a great book for any bodyworker that really wants to explore the deeper aspects of human physiology.
Feb 25, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book on human physiology for bodyworkers. Some of the speculative flights of fancy in the final three chapters may not be true and I have some reservations about the prevalence of citations of old science, since science is generally obsolete in 10 years, but generally it is very useful for massage therapists.
May 29, 2012 TurtleMoon added it
Shelves: bodywork
An Excellent book that I highly recommend to bodyworkers. I don't even know of any book that compares to this one in content and quality. Is there even another book on the same subject, really? there were a couple small sections that I just couldn't agree with.
Jul 07, 2008 Asa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in how the human body works
Juhan gives some amazing perspective on how the body works, especially in terms of the significance of bodywork. It's well researched and very well written, but he goes into detail, so it can get a little thick in places.
Mar 27, 2009 Mati rated it it was amazing
A wild and profound penetration of human anatomy and physiology written by a brillant writer and bodyworker. Deane Juhan explores the systems of the body most effected by bodywork.
Jul 25, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
a must for any bodyworker... beautifully, artfully written. it's a book to read over and over again.
Feb 18, 2010 Michelle is currently reading it
I don't know if I'll ever finish this; I read it sporadically depending on my current biology questions.
Amy Elizabeth

I admit to picking more current fiction over this. I will get back to it someday.
Apr 25, 2009 Pj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like how he looks at the body and how he discusses the 'intuition' of the healer/bodyworker
Mar 26, 2007 david rated it it was amazing
anyone interested in the wonders of the human body would find this to be a fascinating read.
Jan 16, 2009 Liwana marked it as to-read
This is "homework" for an equine body working course I am taking in July.
Sep 06, 2009 Marya rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books.
Sarah Kyle
Sarah Kyle marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Karen Leech
Karen Leech marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Tere Ubilla
Tere Ubilla marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Krisha added it
Sep 28, 2016
Dawn marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Ilambharathi rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Tammy marked it as to-read
Akash rated it liked it
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Savannah Clawson
Savannah Clawson marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Kim Kern
Kim Kern rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more (Third Edition)
  • Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual: Two Volume Set: Second Edition/Volume 1 and First Edition/Volume 2
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy
  • Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin
  • Junqueira's Basic Histology: Text and Atlas, 12th Edition [With CDROM]
  • Fat Politics: The Real Story Behind America's Obesity Epidemic
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss