Start by marking “Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)” as Want to Read:
Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)

Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Published July 1st 1986 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about Too Late to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Late to Die

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryHoles by Louis SacharBrides of the Storm by Amanda Albright StillBurn Down the Ground by Kambri CrewsAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Books Set in Texas
284th out of 284 books — 128 voters
Brides of the Storm by Amanda Albright StillEchoes of the Storm by Amanda Albright StillLab Notes by Gerrie NelsonDistortion by Lucie SmokerGalveston by Gary Cartwright
Houston/Galveston Area Books
10th out of 31 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Regan
Nice mystery. Reminded me a little bit of Longmire -- not quite as violent as Longmire got in season 3 but close. It was a hoot reading about a murder in 1986 and the process of the Sheriff tracking down the killer -- pay phones, no computers, no internet...but they did have DNA!
David Cranmer
A definite reward of the Sheriff Dan Rhodes mysteries — beyond the well-developed protagonist, the wry humor, and plots humming along with generous doses of action — is Crider’s deft handling of the vibrant cast who make up the universe of Blacklin County. Some include: his intuitive daughter Kathy, who cares deeply for her father’s happiness; his second wife Ivy, who won’t admit (later in the series) that their two dogs and a cat cause Rhodes’ sneezing fits; the police sidekicks Hack and Lawton ...more
Megargee
Apparently we are developing a subgenre of mysteries featuring modern day rural sheriffs of rural western counties. Bill Crider's Sheriff Dan Rhodes of Blacklin County TX joins J. A. Jance's Sheriff Joanna Brady of Cochise County AZ and Craig Johnson's Sheriff Walt Longmire of Absaroka County WY as law enforcement officers who must worry about getting reelected, pleasing the County Commission, hiring adequate staff and running a jail as well as solving crimes. Since all three are widowed with c ...more
Alice
A patron raved about this author one day, so I decided to give him a try. This is his first book and it is set in a small Texas town, so I am enjoying that. I'll finish this review when I finish the book(which will be soon--it is ultra short!)
I thought this was an above average mystery novel! I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely look in again on Sheriff Rhodes some time when I'm in the mood for a good Texas mystery.
george burns
A Beginning

This is the first entry in the successful, long running Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. Rhodes's character is fully formed. He is laid back, sardonic and unambitous. Nevertheless, he wants to keep his job as sheriff and is facing a serious electoral challenge. His job is not made easier when a local woman is beaten to death. Was she perhaps a bit too friendly with too many men? Rhodes needs to solve this mystery fast. The plot and resolution are intented to be ingenious and thought providi
Louis
I read this book in print format. I had to Interlibrary Loan this title because Phoenix Public Library no longer owned the first title in this series by Bill Crider.

This story is set in Blacklin County, Texas, where Sheriff Rhodes is being challenged by an opponent in his re-election campaign for Sheriff. Rhodes' wife is deceased. His adult daughter resides with him and is dating one of Rhodes' deputies.

The story revolves around a woman found killed in her home after signs of a struggle. This
Lucy
First in the series about Sheriff Dan Rhodes of Blacklin County, Texas, a fictional place with small towns getting smaller. It’s election year and Dan Rhodes wants to keep his job, against competition from a more polished candidate. And now there’s a major crime in Blacklin County, TX. A young wife has been killed in her own kitchen. Also somebody’s been breaking into the local grocery store. And his hot-tempered deputy is accused of inciting a fight.
Interesting characters, a lot of "good ol' bo
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #1 Sheriff Dan Rhodes, Blacklin County, Texas, cosy police procedural. The death of a friendly young woman just prior to the next election doesn’t put Sheriff Rhodes on the hot-seat, but the following murders do, as he finds the evidence leading him close to home. A bit of folksy humor, a strong plot with careful mis-direction, and a nice twist at the end, make this a good first novel. Slow paced but not annoyingly so, and the characters are wonderful.

Reading this twenty-plus years
Lynn
Too Late To Die is the first book in the Dan Rhodes mystery series. I had heard good things about the series so when I saw this book written in 1989 was available in e-book form, I purchased it. I am glad that I did as I liked it very much and now have a new series to follow.

Dan Rhodes is a sheriff in a small Texas town. He is a widower and has an adult daughter who lives at home. He is up for re-election. The book starts out with the murder of a young house wife. The reader follows along with D
Ubalstecha
Sherriff Dan Rhodes is a sheriff in a small town in Texas faced with his widowerhood and reelection against a wealthy, slick candidate. There are the usual problems too, like small break ins and people getting drunk and disorderly, but a popular young woman is found murdered, the threads of the case start leading Rhodes into a world of late night visitors, police brutality and small town gossip.

Good solid first book of the series. A bit dated, given when it was published, but overall a solid rea
Mary
Set in a small town in Texas, this is a very enjoyable mystery - down to earth, cosy. The main character is a sheriff, a likable, determined guy. The town has a few quirky characters adding humor to the story. I read a later book and went back to read this one, the first in the series. I think I'll enjoy watching the development as the books progress.
Michael Altman
Ok book...have now read two books in series. Dan Rhodes reminds me of Andy Taylor of Mayberry, but maybe with a little more action....Simple but interesting plot...
Ed
#1 in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. The 1986 debut of this long running series (#19 was published in 2012) featuring Dan Rhodes, the easy-going sheriff of rural Blacklin County, Texas.

Sheriff Dan Rhodes, a middle-aged widower, is up for re-election in Blacklin County, TX. Just in time for the campaign comes the murder of a young wife - who appears to have been popular with a lot of men other than her husband. As Dan investigates, the roll of suspects starts to get large: a cranky storeowner, a
DJMikeG
A fast, fun mystery from Bill Crider. I'll definitely be reading more of the Sheriff Dan Rhodes books!
Cyn Mcdonald
It was okay. Reminded me a bit of Longmire.
Glen
This is the first in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. There's a murder of a popular small town girl. As the sheriff investigates, more people are murdered.

The puzzle is a little simple, and though a good start, the series definitely gets better as time goes by.
Dave
I really enjoyed this one!
Sheriff Dan Rhodes of Blacklin County, Texas is having a rough time. He's up for reelection, and all the sudden he has a murder on his hands.
We follow Dan as he goes thru his daily duties,and also as he tries not to 'lose votes'...while still trying to do what is right.
Several 'little' things that have been happening amy soon add up to something that he had not counted on.....
This is the 1st in a series, and I'm going to pick up the sexond one soon!!!
Carly
I love how Mr. Crider started off by getting right to it. He waisted no time and kept me interested the whole time. I thought I had this thing figured out from very close to the beginning and was going to be diappointed. But I was wanted to see how my suspect was going to be caught. Well, Didn't see that ending coming. I ended up being suprised all the way around. I love that. I want to be shocked. I give this book a for sure Awesome.
Debra
More of my filling in the gaps in favorite series. This is Bill Crider's first Sheriff Dan Rhodes books, and a multi award winner.

I just love his writing style. Laid back (if you want action, just pass Crider by. But it will be your loss.) and redolent of small town America realities, this series populated with, um, memorable characters (yes, that is the proper description) just is the perfect comfort read.
Jen Oliver-provost
This is the first book in a long series about the adventures of Dan Rhodes, a small town Sheriff.
This first book was entertaining and exactly what you would expect (from a book about a small town Sheriff dealing with locals, a looming re-election, and who-dunnit murder solving). It was a great mixture between dramatic and realistic.
I shall continue the series and see what else Sheriff Rhodes is up to.
Elizabeth
Dan Rhodes is just a normal guy, the man any woman would love to meet. Smart, funny and real, he knows how to solve a mystery, handle his staff and still have time for a cold Dr Pepper. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series, I have all of the books and can't wait for the next one to come out. Get to know Sheriff Rhodes, it will be fun, exciting and totally worth it!!
Mark
a simple treasure is Blacklin County's sheriff Dan Rhodes...a quick and entertaining read...plenty of small town Texas culture emerges and is really enjoyable to be drawn into the good ol' boy network...in this one Rhodes solves a number of murders tied to a nice lady who is rumored to be overly friendly to her gentlemen friends...quick, fun read!!!
Randy
Jul 20, 2008 Randy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Recommended to Randy by: internet
This novel first introduced us to Sheriff Dan Rhodes, the comedy team of deputies Hack and Lawton, Ivy, the whole gang. The laid back world of a small Texas county which seems to have more than it's share of murders.
A very fine mystery series by Bill Crider
J
Very good !
Missyjohnson1
good story that made me want to pick it back up to see what would happen. characters and locale were easy to visualize. We will be meeting the author, Bill Crider, at our book club next week. Very Cool.
Dave
I'll try another book by Crider. It was a little bit weird in the end and a bit too predictable.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Sherrif Dan Rhodes (first in series); while seeking re-election, a widowed sheriff tries to solve the mystery of a young wife who was beaten and killed
Karen
None of the local libraries have book two - so I am going to have to sort through my books in storage and find my copy. Really enjoyed book one in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series.
Rachael Mcdonnell
Great read...on to book two. The author has great characters, storyline and lots of humor written into his books. Highly recommend them.
Amy
This was a quick read. This book is filled with red herrings and false solutions. I will probably read some more in the series.
  • Biggie and the Poisoned Politician (Biggie Weatherford #1)
  • Privileged to Kill (Bill Gastner Mystery, #5)
  • Do Unto Others
  • December Heat
  • Pipsqueak
  • Slicky Boys (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #2)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • Grave Music (Bill Slider, #4)
  • Nursery Crimes (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #1)
  • The Final Country
  • Quieter than Sleep (A Karen Pelletier Mystery, #1)
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • murder@maggody.com (Arly Hanks, #12)

Sheriff Dan Rhodes (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Shotgun Saturday Night (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #2)
  • Cursed to Death (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #3)
  • Death on the Move (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #4)
  • Evil at the Root (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #5)
  • Booked for a Hanging (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #6)
  • Murder Most Fowl (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #7)
  • Winning Can Be Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #8)
  • Death by Accident (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #9)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #10)
  • A Romantic Way to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #11)
Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14) Murder of a Beauty Shop Queen: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #19) A Mammoth Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #13) The Wild Hog Murders: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18) Compound Murder: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Dan Rhodes Mystery #20)