Start by marking “Angus and Sadie (Davis Farm, #1)” as Want to Read:
Angus and Sadie (Davis Farm, #1)

Angus and Sadie (Davis Farm #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Angus is black and white and strong.

Sadie is reddish brown and white and small.

"They don't look much alike," says Missus.

"They don't act much alike," says Mister.

Angus and Sadie are brother and sister. Angus is bigger. He is a good, brave, and clever dog -- and he likes that. Sadie isn't as quick to learn -- or to obey. When cats jump at her, she yelps and runs away. Angus
Published May 3rd 2005 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Angus and Sadie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus and Sadie

Ilovemypuppyroxy
“Angus and Sadie”
Author: Cynthia Voigt

Angus and Sadie the two curious pups, the ones that love adventure, the ones that sometimes get in trouble. Angus the brave and courageous, Sadie the shy and curious. And living together as brother and sister might change the story. Maybe even them.

Cynthia Voigt lives in Maine, USA, and has two grown children. Also she is the author of 20 books, and is a Newbery Medal winner.

The setting in this story takes place on a farm near a big forest by a river and cre
Rebecca McNutt
Well-written and entertaining children's story; a little silly for older kids but an excellent book for younger readers or people who love dog stories and books with Maine settings. The front cover was wonderfully illustrated, too.
Molly Westerman
What a sweet, simple, fun book! My five-year-old and I used it as our read-aloud nighttime chapter book, and he loved it. Many reviewers here found it boring, but we found it refreshing--no one's evil or in horrible danger, the dogs have very distinct and interesting personalities, the characters exist in a subtly sexist world (pretty unavoidable given that it's set in the contemporary USA) but the book itself doesn't endorse a sexist worldview, and there's a lot of detail about small family far ...more
Brianna
A review from my 10 year old self:

This is a book about two dogs, Angus and Sadie. Angus is bigger, good, brave and clever. Sadie, his sister isn't quick to learn, or to obey. This book is about the two dogs growing up, and how they learn to get used to the things around them. I think this book is aimed towards children 10 and under, and not for anyone older. I think that this is borrow for 10 and under, but for anyone older, I think this is a skip.
Skye
Actually, below are 2 reviews - one for adults reading this book and one for kids!

Angus and Sadie, by Cynthia Voigt, Newberry medalist (Harper Collins, 2005, 194 pages, ages 8-12, paperback – 2008)

Written by Newberry medalist Cynthia Voigt, Angus and Sadie is a wonderfully fun, heart-warming story for both adults and children, so, here are different book reviews for each. Children first, then, the review for adults.

Children Will Love Angus - or Sadie – or Both

Angus and Sadie are border collie p
Steve H
Mister and Missus live on a farm in Maine and decide they want a dog. However, they go to the library to research breeds (yay) and decide on a border collie mix and eventually head off to the shelter to adopt one, but they can't decide between two very cute puppies and end up with both Angus and Sadie who have different personalities.

Voigt nails the new dog experience and gets into the dog personalities brilliantly. (This would be a good time to mention that this is one of those books where we c
Christine
I loved this book! It probably is my favorite! I loved how every chapter is a different 'adventure' for the dogs. I read it in 2nd grade.
Alex
I read it when I was about ten. I absolutely loved it when i was younger.
Lesa
I read this to my four- and seven-year-old daughters. They loved it; me not so much. I found the story really boring. It was really just "day in the life" kind of stuff while going through the seasons. Nothing that interesting or exciting happened. I would have liked to have had more adventure. I also did not like Angus at all. Especially at the end; he was really mean to Sadie. Didn't care for that. I didn't care for the writing style either; I had to add a lot of "Sadie said" and "Angus said" ...more
Del
I remember reading this book--I got it from a library. However I remember loving it, though I can't remember what it's about.

I think it is about two border collies that are siblings being adopted by a farmer and his wife. Together the siblings have many adventures--and fun ones.
Darcie Caswell
Rachael Stein
Maybe I'm going soft, but it was nice to read a book where the main conflict is "two border collies have different strengths and abilities." The audiobook is a joy, too - not surprising, since the companion book, Young Fredle, got an Odyssey Honor.
Dessie V
I loved this book it is a cute dog tale
Julie
This would have worked so much better as a picture book. Maybe if you really, really love dogs, or have a border collie, you'll love this, but we all found it tiresome. There are certainly many dog novels I (as a non-dog-owner) have loved ("The Boss Queen, Little BigBark, and the Sentinel Pup" comes to mind). I would have abandoned this one a third of the way through if Eli hadn't insisted that he wanted to read it all the way through.
Sam Grace
The relationship between the two anthropomorphic (at least in thoughts) dogs is meant, I think, to be sort of a lesson to kids about relationships. With kids. Complete with "it's okay to be different" and how/why people can feel jealous.

My little cousin really liked it, and I can see other little kids really getting into it as well. It wasn't really my cup o' tea, however.
Book Review Team
Two adorable little Border collie puppies growing up together on a farm. Angus, the boy, and Sadie the girl have many fun adventures on the farm. They meet interesting and strange creatures on the way. If you like a cute and easy read you will love this book! I thought it was really cute, fun, and a good read. I give the book 5 stars!!!!!-SES
Taylor Freeman
I thought this book was amazing. I recomend it to everyone who likes animals and farms. It gives you a great view of how other creatures see things. This book also inspired some of my art including some of my wolf pieces. It's true that these dogs act very differnt but are best friends which is one of the things I love about this book!
Elfiegirl
This book is about to border collies adopted for work on a farm. Angus adapts immediately, but Sadie is really working hard to catch up. She quite frightened and doesn't like the cats in the barn, skunks, or children.
It shows the dogs' point of view and is quite touching in some parts. Read away, my friends!
Sydney
the first part you don't really know whats going on.but when you read further in to the book it gets better.
Wrigley
I like this book so much that I'd like to buy it at the bookstore. I like it because it is all about animals. The best part was where Sadie faces the cats and it made me feel like Angus wasn't the boss of Sadie. I think Angus was too bossy. Having Angus be too bossy made me like the book a little less.
Sandi
Dec 29, 2007 Sandi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 8 & up
Shelves: general-fiction
Angus and Sadie, two border collies growing up on a farm in Maine, learn how to accept their differences as they enjoy a tail-wagging new life with Mister and Missus.

Use in lessons about personal differences, self-esteem
Lizzie
Straight forward and sweet farm story that is good for early elementary. I wish the dogs' gender roles were not so traditional.
Biagia
I liked this book because In think it portayed what border collies really think. I fact, I liked it so much I named my border collie Sadie, even though she would be more of an Angus.
Marian Thornton
I read this when i was in elementary school and i liked it so much i read it over and over and over again! To the point that now, I have the book memorized! <3 A good children's book.
nan
This book is about two dogs, and their adventures. Angus is strong, obedient, and smart. Sadie is playful, but is scared of cats. Its basically just a story of their lives.
Tressa
Angus and Sadie had lovely illustrations. The story was fine, but I found the characterization of the animals and humans slightly off-putting. I don't know why.
Kristi
Loved this sweet story told through the eyes of Angus and Sadie, two border collies with very different outlooks on life, training, cats, sheep, and other important stuff.
Caren
Cute book about 2 sibling Border Collie puppies who live on a farm.
Angus is the bossy brother and Sadie is the more gentle sister.
Perfect for kids that live dogs.
4-6
Johnny Zhang
this book is my favorite book ever!!!!!!!!
I read this book 3-4 times when I was a 3-5th grader.
I think every body should read this book!!!!!!!
Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.)
I love this book! It's adorable and cute! I love it when they were puppies, but i thought a choke collar was cruel.
saide vs angus vs lucy 2 6 Aug 07, 2011 01:03PM
  • Waggit's Tale
  • The Boy Who Spoke Dog
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Champ
  • Thunder from the Sea
  • Sheep
  • Hachiko Waits
  • Storm Warning (Dog Whisperer, #2)
  • Mud-Puddle Poodle (Pet Trouble)
  • Dog Lost
  • News for Dogs
  • No Dogs Allowed!
  • Everything for a Dog
  • Duke
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • Dog Heroes (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker, #24)
  • Spaniel in a Stocking (Animal Ark, #48)
  • The Good Dog
Cynthia Voigt is an American author of books for young adults dealing with various topics such as adventure, mystery, racism and child abuse.

Awards:
Angus and Sadie: the Sequoyah Book Award (given by readers in Oklahoma), 2008
The Katahdin Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Anne V. Zarrow Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Margaret Edwards Award, for a body of work, 1995
Jackaroo: Ratte
More about Cynthia Voigt...

Davis Farm (2 books)
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
Homecoming (Tillerman Cycle, #1) Dicey's Song (Tillerman Cycle, #2) A Solitary Blue (Tillerman Cycle, #3) Jackaroo (Tales of the Kingdom, #1) Izzy, Willy-Nilly