Start by marking “The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God

The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God

Ladd, whose work has included much technical study of the doctrine of the kingdom, here presents a practical and devotional scriptural study of the many aspects of the kingdom, based on the parables, the Sermon on the Mount, and other key passages.
Unknown Binding, 143 pages
Published March 13th 1990 by Eerdmans (first published June 1959)

Brian Pate
Jun 20, 2013 Brian Pate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I am reading this book in conjunction my sermon series on the KINGDOM. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! He connects the biblical dots in a simple and exciting way! Below are my notes as I am reading the book:

WHAT IS THE KINGDOM?
- Jesus came to show us how to enter the K (Matt 5:20; 7:21, p. 14)
- Kingdom = "authority to rule" (p. 19)
- Seek first his kingdom = seek his reign in our lives. Thy kingdom come = prayer for God to be King over all the world (p. 21)

THE KINGDOM IS TOMORROW
- Chu
Luke Bray
Feb 06, 2012 Luke Bray rated it really liked it
Ladd's book has significantly shaped my understanding of the Kingdom of God. For years, the term "kingdom of God" had been very ambiguous and difficult to wrap my hand around. He carefully and clearly explains his understanding of Kingdom theology in this little volume. Ladd's thesis is that the Kingdom of God is the rule, the reign, and the government of God in this age in the hearts and lives of those who yield themselves to Him, and in the next age over the entire world.

Below, I have added m
Luke Miller
Dec 30, 2016 Luke Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely should have read this book years ago. Ladd traces the "kingdom" theme in story of Scripture, defining it as the rule and reign of God. He demonstrates that the mystery of the kingdom for the Jews involved the already/not yet aspects of the kingdom (among other things). Along the way, he shows how these themes are developed in the Sermon on the Mount, the parables, and Paul's letters. The chapters were originally lectures, so they are a little wordy at times, but still well worth the t ...more
Justin Dillehay
Mar 14, 2011 Justin Dillehay rated it really liked it
As one who leans toward amillennialism, I must admit that Ladd forces me to respect the historic pre-mil position even more by showing how it might fit within the two-age model of history.
Mike E.
This book answers the question, "What is the kingdom of God?" It is written by a scholar, but the book is not scholarly. Originally given as lectures/sermons to a popular audience, this book demonstrates fidelity to Scripture and practical application. Ladd intentionally avoids some controversial issues (imminence and the tribulation, e.g.) but this is part of what makes this book so widely applicable. Regardless of your eschatology, you will profit from this book. This book is for those who wan ...more
Greg
Dec 22, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
This book is available for FREE online: http://gospelpedlar.com/articles/Last...

This is a great book for those who are interested at looking into what the Kingdom of God is really about. Unfortunately it is my experience that so many people will not bother to put in the effort to discover these truths for themselves, but rather rely on others to supply this information for them. They are like children who prefer to live on a diet of junk food and TV dinners because it is easy and convenient, rat
Rob
Oct 17, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it
Ladd lays out the New Testament's teaching on the Kingdom of God and its coming. He argues that the Kingdom of God is here already in one sense, and it is to come in another sense. There is currently an overlap of the Current Age (where Satan is "the god of this world") and the Age to Come (where God's reign is more direct and prominent). The Kingdom of God, Ladd explains, is simply the reign and rule of God; it does not require a king bodily present. And so the Kingdom of God is now for those w ...more
Bryan McWhite
Jul 27, 2011 Bryan McWhite rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent introduction to the Bible’s teaching on the nature of the Kingdom of God. It is written to the seminarian or a well-read layperson. I would be comfortable giving it to anyone who is willing to study it carefully and wrestle through it, as it is not given to technical language and insider discussions. Ladd’s is very careful biblically, and explains the Kingdom very well, although his thesis and central definition of the Kingdom could use some refining. He seems to define it s ...more
Bob
Nov 05, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
The classic work on the gospel of the kingdom. Ladd begins by defining the kingdom as the rule of God. He then explores how the kingdom is both already come and not yet revealed in its fullness. He explores the mystery or hiddenness of the kingdom and the life of the kingdom. His chapter on the righteousness of the kingdom reveals our need for Christ's saving work. His chapter on the demand of the kingdom explores the absolute authority of Jesus. He helpfully wades into the question of Israel, t ...more
Jon Gill
May 17, 2016 Jon Gill rated it it was amazing
Jesus didn't preach about Jesus, He preached about The Kingdom of God. But what is that?

I highly recommend this book as need-to-read for aspiring theologians and thinking Christians. Ladd does a service to the Christian faith by clarifying and explaining the "already, not yet" theology of the Kingdom of God. This is just the main theme of the book; it accomplishes many other monumental tasks in a relatively approachable style.

Our own pop theology is often gospel-illiterate in many ways, and th
Graham
Jan 04, 2013 Graham rated it really liked it
Highly influential and formative work. Brief, but still deep. Ladd examines the biblical presentation of the Kingdom of God. Probing Jesus' parables as well as his proclamation, Ladd depicts the future and present reality of the Kingdom and the key themes connected to its appearing (separating that which is of God from that which isn't, the hiddeness of the Kingdom, the penetrating and transformational impact of the Kingdoms, etc.)

Ladd's dispensational eschatology is not something I agree with e
Scott
Oct 16, 2012 Scott rated it liked it
A good introduction to the Kingdom of God in the New Testament. More specifically, there is a good treatment of the "Already, but Not Yet" that helps understand Jesus' statements about the Kingdom of God without having an overrealized eschatology. The last chapter was a really strong push toward evangelism of the nations.

I think that the chapters were originally given as lectures and so some of the comments get a bit wordy and redundant. Overall, this was a very instructive work and I am thankf
Patrick Williams
May 01, 2012 Patrick Williams rated it it was amazing
Very good. Easy to read, informative - great book. George Eldon Ladd relates the concept of the Kingdom of God as "now" and "not yet". He discusses about how Jesus preached about the Kingdom and inagurated it. Thus, the Kingdom of God is right now for every believer who Christ reigns over and yet, it is still to come in it's fullness in the future when the "age to come" arrives. Very good book and I highly recommend it for a good and brief introduction to this most important aspect of our Lord's ...more
Danny Daley
Mar 15, 2015 Danny Daley rated it really liked it
This book is the hipster of evangelical kingdom of God studies. The kingdom was a major focus of Gospels studies in liberal traditions for 50 years by the time this book came out, but Ladd was the first evangelical to really push kingdom studies into the forefront for a more conservative audience. This book has become a classic.

Ladd exegetes passages well and offers valuable insights in the kingdom, and on eschatology, and delivers scathing criticism of dispensational models. An excellent resour
Sonny
Feb 20, 2012 Sonny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-studies
This is a superb book on the Kingdom of God. Jesus spoke about the kingdom more than on any other topic, yet the average believer would be hard pressed to tell you what is meant by the kingdom of God. This book has significantly helped my understanding of this important subject. Although I was aware of the kingdom of God in scripture for a long time, I found it difficult to really understand it. Ladd provides a clear explanation from Scripture. It has especially helped to understand that the kin ...more
Brett
Jul 02, 2009 Brett rated it really liked it
Good introduction to theology of the Kingdom of God, eschatology, this age/age to come, already/not yet, historic premillenialism, the Gospel, and so on. I could actually feel very good about making this required reading for all young Christians.

Good cure for infections like: Hal Lindsey, Dispensationalism, Pre-tribulational rapture, The Left Behind Series, Gospel as how to get to Heaven, Platonism, and so on.
Kerry Buttram
Aug 02, 2014 Kerry Buttram rated it it was amazing
An excellent study which has stood the test of time. Ladd demonstrates in a concise but thorough way that Christ's reign has begun, that our world, embroiled in trouble and full of conflict as it is, has a certain hope under Christ's Kingship. Evil, death, sin and Satan have been defeated, but not finally, for that is not yet. There is great encouragement and healthy teaching here that is free of speculation and full of solid Bible exposition.
Matt
Jun 14, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing
Ladd brilliantly elucidates this important, somewhat confusing topic. Only 143 pages, the book is consise, readable, and cogent. Given the prominence of the Kingdom of God in Jesus' discourse, it is a shame the topic gets so little attention (at least in most Evangelical circles). As Ladd points out, that is largely because the topic is somewhat confusing (Is the Kingdom here already? Is it something that will arrive in the future? etc.). I only wish I had read this sooner.
Eli
Feb 20, 2012 Eli rated it really liked it
I believe this is a crucial book on the subject of the kingdom of God. Ladd's understanding of the ages is Biblical and accurate; a refreshing change from both dispensationalism and traditional Reformed views. While I felt his discussion of the righteousness of the kingdom was the weakest part of the book, the book serves as an excellent guide to understanding the framework of the ages. This is the worth of the book. His discussion of world evangelism at the end is also fantastic.
Andy
Apr 24, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
Great introduction and explanation of the concept of the already/not-yet of the Kingdom of God. Easy to understand, good practical application at points, and consistently focused on the Scriptures. I found the concepts very helpful in preaching through the book of Luke, and it would be a good companion to any study of the gospels.

Favorite chapters: Chapter 5, "The Life of the Kingdom"; Chapter 7, "The Demand of the Kingdom"; Chapter 9, "When Will the Kingdom Come."
Matt Pitts
Mar 11, 2013 Matt Pitts rated it really liked it
A thorough, readable, clear guide to the New Testament's teaching on the kingdom. This is scholarship at it's best: making careful study of the Scripture accessible to the rest of the church. Particularly helpful to me were the way he showed how 1 Corinthians 15 and Revelation 20 fit together and the three stages of the coming on the kingdom.

I would give it 4.5 stars if I could. I only wish the chapter on the kingdom, Israel, and the church had been a little more thorough.

Brent
Dec 26, 2015 Brent rated it really liked it
This book strikes the often hard to find sweet spot between a solid academic presentation and accessible reading. I think it will now be my go-to source for a summary of the Kingdom of God as it is taught in the gospels. I know it already has been celebrated reference for many leaders in the Vineyard church movement. It's very interesting to see how it is a foundational source for a host of other teachings that I have heard over the years.
Mark A Powell
Aug 17, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it liked it
The Kingdom of God is not primarily a place or a people but instead refers to God’s rule and reign. Christ’s victorious death and resurrection have brought that Kingdom to this Age in part, and it works in anticipation of its full revelation at Christ’s return. In this world the Kingdom breaks the power of sin and spurs the redeemed to righteousness while reminding us, through the Holy Spirit, that the best is yet to come.
Rick Dugan
Jun 30, 2013 Rick Dugan rated it liked it
Ladd's explanation of the "now and not yet" nature of God's kingdom is excellent. The final chapter on the mission of the Church to proclaim the kingdom is also good. I give this book only 3 stars, though, because of his treatment of Israel, which seems to suggest that God has dual tracks for Israel and the Church rather than the "grafted track" which expands Israel to include the Church.
Ryan
Oct 05, 2015 Ryan rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent though short book on the Kingdom of God. Ladd is masterful in the way he holds the tension between the already and the not yet, giving clear biblical examples of what that looks like. Though I've studied the kingdom a couple times, some of the insights he has are amazing and I'd never seen them before. An excellent book that I'll read over and over.
Brad Kittle
Dec 19, 2013 Brad Kittle rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, christian
Highly recommend. This book is an excellent primer to the study of the Kingdom of God and what it means to live, work and find life in the kingdom. The Kingdom of God is simply the reign of God; every where Jesus is Lord the kingdom and its King reigns. This book is loaded with insights that are both theological and practical. The section on the demands of the kingdom was very good.
Josh Meares
Feb 04, 2013 Josh Meares rated it liked it
I liked this book. I used this book to supplement a series of talks at a conference about the mission of God. It was very helpful. Ladd stretches a few points to far, and his eschatology may not be right .... but I don't really care about that part of it. I was interested in the character and characteristics, the motivation of the kingdom, and in that area, this book delivers.
Adam Gossman
Jul 19, 2012 Adam Gossman rated it really liked it
Great book, really the a good summary of what I learned about the Kingdom of God at Fuller Seminary. It was interesting reading my wife's copy of this from her days at Fuller. Apparently she did not care for it much. I had a good time correcting her comments at the side of the pages. "C.f. see circled lines" :)
Danny
Aug 25, 2011 Danny rated it really liked it
One of my favorite authors, Ladd, defines and explains what "The Gospel Of The Kingdom" is. While the book is technical, it is very applicable to daily living. Ladd sees the Kingdom of God being manifested in stages emphasizing the already not yet paradox. The book caused me to examine my eschatology.
Brian Brinkert
Sep 21, 2007 Brian Brinkert rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kingdom thinkers
OKAY... one disclaimer... as impressive as it sounds, I did not read this book in Chinese. I know... you're dissapointed.

But, I did read the English version this week, and it was great. This is a one of the most landmark studies on what the Kingdom of God is all about and what that means... even written 50 years ago, it's a great read.
  • What Is Biblical Theology?: A Guide to the Bible's Story, Symbolism, and Patterns
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Future of Justification: A Response to N. T. Wright
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • The Kingdom of God
  • Christ-Centered Biblical Theology
  • Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount
  • The Israel of God: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
George Eldon Ladd (1911–1982) was a Baptist minister and professor of New Testament exegesis and theology at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California.

Ladd was ordained in 1933 and pastored in New England from 1936 to 1945. He served as an instructor at Gordon College of Theology and Missions (now Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary), Wenham, Massachusetts from 1942–45. He was an associa
More about George Eldon Ladd...

“The Kingdom of God is His kingship, His rule, His authority. When this is once realized, we can go through the New Testament and find passage after passage where this meaning is evident, where the Kingdom is not a realm or a people but God’s reign. Jesus said that we must “receive the kingdom of God” as little children (Mark 10:15). What is received? The Church? Heaven? What is received is God’s rule. In order to enter the future realm of the Kingdom, one must submit himself in perfect trust to God’s rule here and now. We must also “seek first his kingdom and his righteousness” (Matt. 6: 33). What is the object of our quest? The Church? Heaven? No; we are to seek God’s righteousness—His sway, His rule, His reign in our lives.” 0 likes
“The righteousness of God’s Kingdom is the product of God’s reign in the human heart. God must reign in our lives now if we are to enter the Kingdom tomorrow.” 0 likes