The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God

The Gospel of the Kingdom: Scriptural Studies in the Kingdom of God

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Ladd, whose work has included much technical study of the doctrine of the kingdom, here presents a practical and devotional scriptural study of the many aspects of the kingdom, based on the parables, the Sermon on the Mount, and other key passages.
Published January 1st 1990 by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published June 1959)

Brian Pate
I am reading this book in conjunction my sermon series on the KINGDOM. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! He connects the biblical dots in a simple and exciting way! Below are my notes as I am reading the book:

WHAT IS THE KINGDOM?
- Jesus came to show us how to enter the K (Matt 5:20; 7:21, p. 14)
- Kingdom = "authority to rule" (p. 19)
- Seek first his kingdom = seek his reign in our lives. Thy kingdom come = prayer for God to be King over all the world (p. 21)

THE KINGDOM IS TOMORROW
- Chu...more
Luke Bray
Ladd's book has significantly shaped my understanding of the Kingdom of God. For years, the term "kingdom of God" had been very ambiguous and difficult to wrap my hand around. He carefully and clearly explains his understanding of Kingdom theology in this little volume. Ladd's thesis is that the Kingdom of God is the rule, the reign, and the government of God in this age in the hearts and lives of those who yield themselves to Him, and in the next age over the entire world.

Below, I have added m...more
Bryan McWhite
This is an excellent introduction to the Bible’s teaching on the nature of the Kingdom of God. It is written to the seminarian or a well-read layperson. I would be comfortable giving it to anyone who is willing to study it carefully and wrestle through it, as it is not given to technical language and insider discussions. Ladd’s is very careful biblically, and explains the Kingdom very well, although his thesis and central definition of the Kingdom could use some refining. He seems to define it s...more
Bob
The classic work on the gospel of the kingdom. Ladd begins by defining the kingdom as the rule of God. He then explores how the kingdom is both already come and not yet revealed in its fullness. He explores the mystery or hiddenness of the kingdom and the life of the kingdom. His chapter on the righteousness of the kingdom reveals our need for Christ's saving work. His chapter on the demand of the kingdom explores the absolute authority of Jesus. He helpfully wades into the question of Israel, t...more
Greg
This book is available for FREE online: http://gospelpedlar.com/articles/Last...

This is a great book for those who are interested at looking into what the Kingdom of God is really about. Unfortunately it is my experience that so many people will not bother to put in the effort to discover these truths for themselves, but rather rely on others to supply this information for them. They are like children who prefer to live on a diet of junk food and TV dinners because it is easy and convenient, rat...more
Mike E.
This book answers the question, "What is the kingdom of God?" It is written by a scholar, but the book is not scholarly. Originally given as lectures/sermons to a popular audience, this book demonstrates fidelity to Scripture and practical application. Ladd intentionally avoids some controversial issues (imminence and the tribulation, e.g.) but this is part of what makes this book so widely applicable. Regardless of your eschatology, you will profit from this book. This book is for those who wan...more
Rob
Ladd lays out the New Testament's teaching on the Kingdom of God and its coming. He argues that the Kingdom of God is here already in one sense, and it is to come in another sense. There is currently an overlap of the Current Age (where Satan is "the god of this world") and the Age to Come (where God's reign is more direct and prominent). The Kingdom of God, Ladd explains, is simply the reign and rule of God; it does not require a king bodily present. And so the Kingdom of God is now for those w...more
Richard Cleary
An excellent book on the Kingdom that recovered essential truths of the message of the Good News of the Kingdom of God that Jesus proclaimed and demonstrated. This book forever changed the contours of New Testament theology a generation ago and opened up new doors for exploration & recovery of biblical truth.
Tamara
This book helped me to better understand what the kingdom of God means. The author uses Bible verses to support his definitions and thesis. This book made me think outside of the Christian box we put ourselves in.
Graham
Highly influential and formative work. Brief, but still deep. Ladd examines the biblical presentation of the Kingdom of God. Probing Jesus' parables as well as his proclamation, Ladd depicts the future and present reality of the Kingdom and the key themes connected to its appearing (separating that which is of God from that which isn't, the hiddeness of the Kingdom, the penetrating and transformational impact of the Kingdoms, etc.)

Ladd's dispensational eschatology is not something I agree with e...more
Sonny
This is a superb book on the Kingdom of God. Jesus spoke about the kingdom more than on any other topic, yet the average believer would be hard pressed to tell you what is meant by the kingdom of God. This book has significantly helped my understanding of this important subject. Although I was aware of the kingdom of God in scripture for a long time, I found it difficult to really understand it. Ladd provides a clear explanation from Scripture. It has especially helped to understand that the kin...more
Scott
A good introduction to the Kingdom of God in the New Testament. More specifically, there is a good treatment of the "Already, but Not Yet" that helps understand Jesus' statements about the Kingdom of God without having an overrealized eschatology. The last chapter was a really strong push toward evangelism of the nations.

I think that the chapters were originally given as lectures and so some of the comments get a bit wordy and redundant. Overall, this was a very instructive work and I am thankf...more
Patrick Williams
Very good. Easy to read, informative - great book. George Eldon Ladd relates the concept of the Kingdom of God as "now" and "not yet". He discusses about how Jesus preached about the Kingdom and inagurated it. Thus, the Kingdom of God is right now for every believer who Christ reigns over and yet, it is still to come in it's fullness in the future when the "age to come" arrives. Very good book and I highly recommend it for a good and brief introduction to this most important aspect of our Lord's...more
Eli
I believe this is a crucial book on the subject of the kingdom of God. Ladd's understanding of the ages is Biblical and accurate; a refreshing change from both dispensationalism and traditional Reformed views. While I felt his discussion of the righteousness of the kingdom was the weakest part of the book, the book serves as an excellent guide to understanding the framework of the ages. This is the worth of the book. His discussion of world evangelism at the end is also fantastic.
Matt Pitts
A thorough, readable, clear guide to the New Testament's teaching on the kingdom. This is scholarship at it's best: making careful study of the Scripture accessible to the rest of the church. Particularly helpful to me were the way he showed how 1 Corinthians 15 and Revelation 20 fit together and the three stages of the coming on the kingdom.

I would give it 4.5 stars if I could. I only wish the chapter on the kingdom, Israel, and the church had been a little more thorough.

Andy
Great introduction and explanation of the concept of the already/not-yet of the Kingdom of God. Easy to understand, good practical application at points, and consistently focused on the Scriptures. I found the concepts very helpful in preaching through the book of Luke, and it would be a good companion to any study of the gospels.

Favorite chapters: Chapter 5, "The Life of the Kingdom"; Chapter 7, "The Demand of the Kingdom"; Chapter 9, "When Will the Kingdom Come."
Mark A Powell
The Kingdom of God is not primarily a place or a people but instead refers to God’s rule and reign. Christ’s victorious death and resurrection have brought that Kingdom to this Age in part, and it works in anticipation of its full revelation at Christ’s return. In this world the Kingdom breaks the power of sin and spurs the redeemed to righteousness while reminding us, through the Holy Spirit, that the best is yet to come.
Brett
Good introduction to theology of the Kingdom of God, eschatology, this age/age to come, already/not yet, historic premillenialism, the Gospel, and so on. I could actually feel very good about making this required reading for all young Christians.

Good cure for infections like: Hal Lindsey, Dispensationalism, Pre-tribulational rapture, The Left Behind Series, Gospel as how to get to Heaven, Platonism, and so on.
Brad Kittle
Highly recommend. This book is an excellent primer to the study of the Kingdom of God and what it means to live, work and find life in the kingdom. The Kingdom of God is simply the reign of God; every where Jesus is Lord the kingdom and its King reigns. This book is loaded with insights that are both theological and practical. The section on the demands of the kingdom was very good.
Rick Dugan
Ladd's explanation of the "now and not yet" nature of God's kingdom is excellent. The final chapter on the mission of the Church to proclaim the kingdom is also good. I give this book only 3 stars, though, because of his treatment of Israel, which seems to suggest that God has dual tracks for Israel and the Church rather than the "grafted track" which expands Israel to include the Church.
Josh Meares
I liked this book. I used this book to supplement a series of talks at a conference about the mission of God. It was very helpful. Ladd stretches a few points to far, and his eschatology may not be right .... but I don't really care about that part of it. I was interested in the character and characteristics, the motivation of the kingdom, and in that area, this book delivers.
Brian Brinkert
Sep 21, 2007 Brian Brinkert rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kingdom thinkers
OKAY... one disclaimer... as impressive as it sounds, I did not read this book in Chinese. I know... you're dissapointed.

But, I did read the English version this week, and it was great. This is a one of the most landmark studies on what the Kingdom of God is all about and what that means... even written 50 years ago, it's a great read.
Adam Gossman
Great book, really the a good summary of what I learned about the Kingdom of God at Fuller Seminary. It was interesting reading my wife's copy of this from her days at Fuller. Apparently she did not care for it much. I had a good time correcting her comments at the side of the pages. "C.f. see circled lines" :)
Danny
One of my favorite authors, Ladd, defines and explains what "The Gospel Of The Kingdom" is. While the book is technical, it is very applicable to daily living. Ladd sees the Kingdom of God being manifested in stages emphasizing the already not yet paradox. The book caused me to examine my eschatology.
Herb Hunter
Ladd's presentation is easy to read and to understand. It would be helpful however, to see him interact with more Old Testament passages as he lays out this important biblical doctrine. but his insight and understanding of Jesus words in the parables are helpful and instructive! Great read.
Judy
Transformed my understanding of the K of G as being "the now and the not yet," and how I/we can approach prayer - realizing that sometimes a taste of what will be in full(to come) will sometimes be manifested or experienced here and now...so keep praying and believing in rest.
Daniel
Ladd follows his common theme - which never gets old - with this work; the Kingdom of God. He is the theologian that probably has most meditated on what that phrase represents and means eschatologically. Always a mind opening read.
Crossroads Ecc
Jan 13, 2012 Crossroads Ecc marked it as to-read
Christianity Today editors' review: "Ladd's work called a generation of evangelicals to a higher level of scholarship, and his "already-but-not yet" take on God's kingdom influenced charismatic theologians and cessationists alike."
Scott
Jan 20, 2010 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Great overview of the nature and purpose of the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God is the age to come reaching back into the present age. The church is the agent by which the Kingdom of God influences this present age.
Dmcconkey
A great little book on studies on the Kingdom of God for laymen but is also excellent for pastors. The Kingdom of God was a life long study for Ladd. You can always count on a strong emphasis on the Biblical text from Ladd.
  • The Future of Justification: A Response to N. T. Wright
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Bible and the Future
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • Drama of Scripture, The: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • Jesus and the Gospels
George Eldon Ladd (1911–1982) was a Baptist minister and professor of New Testament exegesis and theology at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California.

Ladd was ordained in 1933 and pastored in New England from 1936 to 1945. He served as an instructor at Gordon College of Theology and Missions (now Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary), Wenham, Massachusetts from 1942–45. He was an associa...more
More about George Eldon Ladd...
A Theology of the New Testament The Presence of the Future: The Eschatology of Biblical Realism Blessed Hope A Commentary on the Revelation of John The Last Things