Sex and the Seasoned Woman: Pursuing the Passionate Life

Sex and the Seasoned Woman: Pursuing the Passionate Life

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The author of The Silent Passage combines interviews and research in an exploration of romance and the sexual habits of a wide range of women--married and single--over the age of fifty, covering an enormous range of experience among older women. R..Title: .Sex and the Seasoned Woman..Author: .Sheehy, Gail..Publisher: .Random House Inc..Publication Date: .2007/01/30..Number...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006)

Juliana
I picked this up at a library sale because I like Sheehy's books. I'm a little young for the book--but as a recent divorcee I found this book very inspiring. The book is full of stories and interviews with women who have found a more independent and passionate life after 50.
Bookmarks Magazine

Famous for her 1976 book Passages and her compelling portraits of political figures for Vanity Fair, Gail Sheehy sets out to take the temperature of the Baby Boom's libido. Unfortunately, critics feel she has lost her grip on the zeitgeist. It seems that the author is the only one surprised that postmenopausal women are still having sex. The all-female cast of reviewers seems miffed that the book contains so little prurience on the part of Sheehy__further confirming her premise, if not her strat

Dec 05, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read
I meant... Some simple and closed minded ppl like bill... Etc. then my last sentence was Jim did t mean anything bad bout what u have he just doesnt learn about it like Why his mom is on Coumadin.... Too hard to learn bout it. And then he always refers to Linda as "her" or "she" and when i ask about what she does he always says "dont know"
I probably shoulda just called you. I spent alot of time being bis friend. And its like teenage stuff how he cant be around me with her. Oh bother

Marty came h...more
Therese
Apr 27, 2008 Therese rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Women over 40
I must admit that I have been a Gail Sheehy "Passages" fan since the 70's. Thank you for being in our corner and telling it like it is, in your gifted, forthcoming way, Gail!This book was a gift from a gentleman I was dating at the time. After reading the book, I realized his gift was a compliment. It was wonderful and I could identify with it in many positive ways. Gail's shared stories consistently make us feel sane and understood. I wake each day proud of who and what I have become.
apwebb83
There are lots of wonderful women out there who are able to make profound growth happen and rich lives occur after turning 50. I LOVE that! Oh and let's not forget that the sex talk is delightful too. It was enlightening for my husband. I got the book on tape as well as in print and we listened to a large section of it together, which was just as good as going to one of those "couple's retreats." Did I mention that the sex talk was great?
Pascale
I get tired of reading about women who, once they reached their forties, dumped a bothersome spouse to run off into the sunset with new lovers, have great sex and exciting new careers. [...] So, books like this get on my nerves, because all along, I hear a little voice in the back of my mind reminding me that I hate sitting at a #$%^!! PC and do drudge work while it’s sunny outside and I don’t even get any benefits [...].
Beth

I'm almost 43 and I loved this book! It was so nice and comforting to hear other women's stories and get some helpful insight to what is down the road. Seems like the key is just WANTING and ALLOWING yourself to be happy and adventuresome. I will be mentally 'filling this one away' so I can go back to it in the future.
Rebecca
I shouldn't admit to reading this. It's not even really about sex (worse luck). There are a few sound ideas about women finding confidence, independence, and genuine identity later in life. Sadly, these ideas are buried in fluff and repetition.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Read this on a whim, has some really good stories and points. Gives me hope for the future. I would probably give it another star if i didn't feel so awkward about the title itself, wish it had been named something different.
Wendy
This book explained me to myself! Enjoyable to read, with good real-life stories. I found my path to be reflected in the passages Sheehy describes "seasoned" women experienced. So glad to find out I'm "NORMAL." lol
Jana
An argument for feminism for women who apparently never considered it until mid-life. Nothing new for those of us who encountered and identified with feminist thinking years ago. I read about 3/4 of it...
Bonita Rose
I read an article about this book.. definitely on my TO READ list.. women need to not be so uptight about their sexuality.. just my thoughts!
Traci
I have to recommend this to all my female over 40 friends. This book isn't just about sex but living your life with passion. Please read.
Shelly
I found this gem in the bargain books of Barnes and Noble. And for the self help junkie that is like finding the golden ticket.

Mandy
sure i'm not over 50, but someday i will be and there's always info we can gleam from just about everything
Sally
Dreadful narrative voice, little of value to say.
Nancy
Jul 14, 2010 Nancy marked it as to-read
Found this at Goodwill today....
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
can't wait to read this
Susan
Best book ever.
Becky
Becky is currently reading it
May 12, 2014
Monika Kodnani
Monika Kodnani marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Bookclubcheerleader
Bookclubcheerleader marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Frieda
Frieda marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Tina
Tina added it
Mar 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
self-improvement 1 2 Feb 28, 2008 08:47AM
Gail Sheehy is an American writer and lecturer, most notable for her books on life and the life cycle. She is also a contributor to the magazine Vanity Fair.

Her fifth book, Passages, has been called "a road map of adult life". Several of her books continue the theme of passages through life's stages, including menopause and what she calls "Second Adulthood", including Pathfinders, Spirit of Surviv...more
More about Gail Sheehy...
Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life The Silent Passage: Menopause New Passages Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos into Confidence Middletown, America: One Town's Passage from Trauma To Hope