Start by marking “His 'N' Hers” as Want to Read:
His 'N' Hers

His 'N' Hers

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,295 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
With the help of a relationship counsellor, Jim and Alison are setting off on a journey through the past to the present which will lead them to the biggest decision of their adult lives. The failure of their relationship results in a painfully funny, romantic comedy of acute observations of the human condition.
Published January 31st 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about His 'N' Hers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His 'N' Hers

Areli
Sep 14, 2014 Areli rated it liked it
His ‘n’ Hers, Mike Gayle’s fifth novel, is about Jim and Alison who met at a student union during college and later on became a couple, then got married, and got separated. Years after they separated, having had their new lovers, an incident happened and because of that incident, their new lives with their new lovers has changed.
I never got bored while I was reading the book. It was so exciting, and the events are unexpected. Unlike other love-story books, it is not a cliche one. It is just a si
Rachel
Gave up on page 97. Soooo dull and completely predictable.
Kritika Manchanda
Feb 27, 2015 Kritika Manchanda rated it really liked it
If I had to give the review in one word, it would be "Heartwarming".
What a happy read that I am in love all over again. Such a perfect description of his n her relationship. How relationships go through the ups and downs of life and how in end all that matters is love and only love. I love how Jim and Alison treat each other as best of friends.
Mike Gayle's writing style is effervescent. And the best part, I could totally connect with all the parts. It will surely leave you with a smile and lot
Stephanie
Mar 11, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a mayjah fan of Mike Gayle. His writing displays well maintained masculinity, all while perfectly conveying the female voice.

HIS 'N' HERS is the story of Jim and Alison, two individuals who meet in college and fall in love under the most unusual of circumstances. In this book, we get both sides of their stories written in two unique styles. Every detail of their lives for 10+ years is written in great detail and you sort of feel like your eavesdropping or reading someone's diar
The Writer
Sep 04, 2009 The Writer rated it really liked it
“Where did we go wrong?”

The above question probably haunts everyone whose relationship recently went down the drain. Some would probably spend most of his / her time trying to figure out what the cause of the split while the rest struggle to move on without bothering to do the full-blown analysis.

It’s exactly the theme that Gayle brought up in this novel titled His n’ hers. After Dinner for two, I booked a whole set of Gayle’s novels available in the local library and this was the first one avai
Bronwyn Rykiert
Jan 10, 2011 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, audiobook
This story is told in diary form. It starts with where Jim and Alison are at in 2003, then it goes back to the beginning when they first met at Uni in 1989, to when they start dating 3 years later and onto their moving in together, getting married and then separating for all sorts of reasons, which when it happened left me shocked as I did not see it coming and neither did Alison it would seem. I thought that with the things that had been through together they would be there for the long haul. I ...more
Mafalda
Aug 06, 2013 Mafalda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestados
Ao inicio não estava a gostar la muito do livro. Uma historia um bocado parada, sem grande interesse, ate que comece a relatar as coisas do passado.

Jim e Alison sou dois jovens apaixonados que vão vivendo o seu amor, confrontados com muitos obstáculos que, aos poucos, vão conseguindo ultrapassar. E, quando tudo se acalma e tudo vai de vento em poupa, resolvem morar juntos, casar e comprar uma casa. Mas ai o amor esmorece, e separam-se.
Será que se arrependem de tal decisão?

O livro esta escrito em
Katie Padfoot
Aug 09, 2011 Katie Padfoot rated it really liked it
i read this book on holiday and thought i'd already added it to my shelves but apparantly not. i really like mike gayles writing style - how it isn't just a straight story told from one point of view, i like that it starts of with something happening that makes the two main characters take a trip down memory lane. most of all i like that i can relate to the characters so well, especially as they went to university in birmingham and alison was an english student and they ended up moving to london ...more
Mohit
May 05, 2013 Mohit rated it liked it
It's a good read. Especially for those who love Romantic stories, movies.
The start is great, as it starts with a flashback and makes you already want to know everything about the 'past' of the couple. The whole story is then expressed very well, with laughter, fun, emotional moments, all of it. It's like you're living there, with them.
Towards the mid though, it gets a bit boring when you are just wondering when do we get back to the present. May be the whole past is explained way too much in de
Nick Davies
Jan 31, 2016 Nick Davies rated it it was ok
I'm not sure whether it was reading two books by this author within a month or two of each other, or whether I wasn't in the mood, but this felt disappointingly light to me. I know the author was probably not aiming to win high-brow literary prizes, but the writing style and vocabulary was somewhat simplistic - which grated at times. A book like this relies on having a funny and involving story and on making the reader identify with the characters and situations within. Whilst it did do this to ...more
Malfana
I absolutely loved that book! Once I started it I couldn't put it down.

It started at the present time when Alison's cat dies and she decides to call her ex-husband, Jim, as he was the one who gave her the cat. It was their cat afterall.
She is about to get married and he is about to move in with his girlfriend. They haven't seen each other since they sold their house 3 years before.

Then we get back in time and discover the journey of Alison et Jim. From the moment they met to their divorce.
What
Alison
Jul 20, 2007 Alison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
This book came in a "lot" of books I bought on e-bay, only because the lot contained 2 other books I was dying to read. I'd never heard of Mike Gayle and certainly had never heard of His n' Hers. Well, one Saturday morning I needed something new to read so I picked this up. I finished it that night! I'll admit, I was a little turned off when I realized that most of the book was a flashback - it starts when the main two characters, Jim & Allison are years past their relationship and the major ...more
Apatricia
Jun 06, 2016 Apatricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Não vou dizer que este livro tem uma historia super emocionaste e que respira suspense, porque não é isso que acontece, no entanto é um livro adorável que eu devorei e adorei.
Se procuram algo simples e leve e que tanto vos encha o coração, como vos faça rir, este é o livro ideal!
Comradeocean
Aug 31, 2015 Comradeocean rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, pulpjag
Ladlit is not for me.

Recommended for me bc of Starter for Ten. Didn't work though:

- none of the 80s politics
- nor siren of class anxiety
- nor charm

gave up after Disco Smith the cat died.
Tammy
Jul 28, 2011 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, chick-lit
Mike Gayle is my favorite author EVER! I've read a lot of books but none flow as well or are as entertaining to read as his books. I've not read one yet that wasn't a "cover to cover" deal! This one was no exception! After waiting over a year for his next book to be released His'N'Hers was not a disappointment! I'm not going to rant on and on about how great his books are because I know I rarely listen to people when they tell me about authors they like, so why would I fool myself into thinking ...more
Anna Boyko
Apr 06, 2016 Anna Boyko rated it really liked it
A nice novel about relationships. I wouldn't say it's something special, and not an insightful, but still pretty enjoyable to read. Also, kind of reminded me the novels by Herve Bazin mostly because of the chronological structure of the text.
Cláudia
Jan 22, 2014 Cláudia rated it it was amazing
Há muito tempo que não lia um livro que me prendesse tanto e de que gostasse tanto. Em pouco mais de 2 dias foi todinho! E tive pena que acabasse!
Mais uma vez Mike Gayle consegue criar uma história que podia acontecer conosco, com personagens de quem gostamos e que queremos ver felizes.
Kate Millin
Jul 18, 2014 Kate Millin rated it really liked it
A well written story about the ups and downs of a married couples life written from both of their viewpoints.
Jara Gutierrez
Feb 06, 2014 Jara Gutierrez rated it really liked it
'Where did it all go wrong, and is it too late to put it right?' A very honest read.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 03, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
This is the fourth "lad lit" I've read by Mike Gayle since discovering him this year ... and it's probably my favourite.

It's written in an interesting style ... going back and forth between Jim and Alison's perspective over the years.

The usual conversational tone was there as was the humour.

Would I recommend it? Yes!

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2007/05...
Neeru
Jun 30, 2010 Neeru rated it it was amazing
Excellent read...
will mostly suit moods of highly emotive people...
What I liked most is the message in it. True love always unites! the style is also compelling - written in a diary format and especially having voices of both the female and male perspective spiced the whole story. A delicate subject brought around in a funny, appealing and exciting way.
LOVED it!
Sara
Jun 14, 2008 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2007
This book remembered me "Bridget Jones's Diary", not only the format where memories are divided by days but also the simplicity of the writing and the importance given to character's emotion. I'm curious about other books by Mike Gayle. : ) Overall, it was quite a pleasant reading.
Carol
Jun 24, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok
Well, another chick-lit book. I really need to get some decent literature in my head LOL I did quite like this one, though, a bit more sensible than the ones I have read recently, a bit more believable ending. Another half decent beach read, if you're looking for one.
Denise
Nov 07, 2008 Denise rated it really liked it
I love reading Mike Gayle! His books always put me in a good mood. Classic modern day love story that will appeal to the mid-twenty to mid-thirty age range, especially those who were at University during the 90's, brought back many happy memories!
Nathan
Jan 18, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it
Divorced couple meets again after several years, and the reader gets an extended flashback of their entire relationship. Funny and mawkish both, with a lot of "yes! That's so true" moments. Not challenging and very quick. Rated PG. 3.5/5
Ilona
Nov 15, 2012 Ilona rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way Mike told the story from Alison and Jim's points of view. Book that reminds very much of their university years memories and living after together. Entertaining and a good read.
Ana Beja
A maneira como Mike Gayle conta a história deste casal é altamente fascinante. Mostra-nos o lado sensível do amor e apesar de estar rodeado de clichés dá para nos surpreender-mos numa parte ou outra do livro.
Samah
Jan 14, 2015 Samah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-ar-fic
It came to me just in time..
I didn't know how much I needed to read it until I was finished. I'm glad to say that it made a huge difference in the way I see my relationship :)
Kate
Jun 09, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
i give all Mike Gayle books 3 stars..they are an easy read always with a great story that keeps you ticking along! Always a good choice for a holiday read on the beach.
Robyn Drummond
Another Brilliant Mike Gayle how falling in love too fast can affect you and that even after so many years apart the flame can still exist :)
The Life of a Boo...: His 'n' Hers by Mike Gayle 1 3 May 20, 2014 08:00PM
  • O Prenúncio das Águas
  • Baggage
  • Il cerchio magico
  • Larger Than Life
  • The Seven Year Itch (Jack & Amy, #3)
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli
More about Mike Gayle...

“In a relationship the details are everything because they remind you - just when you need to be reminded the most - why you fell in love with someone in the first place.” 21 likes
“I won't stop loving you because I can't stop loving you.” 10 likes