Start by marking “The Duke in Disguise (Willow Pond, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Duke in Disguise (Willow Pond, #2)

The Duke in Disguise (Sisters of Willow Pond #2)

Who is this man?

The Duke of Thanet may have hired her as a governess to his six-year-old son, but there is something . . . different about the devilish rogue standing before her today. He seems to study her with an intensity she never noticed before, and he is certainly more charming than the last time they encountered each other. Was there always an alluring glint in his
Published June 27th 2006 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Duke in Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke in Disguise

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was an enjoyable, light, but not too light historical romance. Richard was a sweetie and so was Meriel. I liked their dynamic, how they ended up being drawn together and falling in love through their mutual concern for young Stephen. I don't care for deception between the H/h, so I wasn't predisposed to this book since Richard is pretending to be someone he's not. But it was handled very well.

Meriel has to overcome her trust issues, both of herself and Richard. She is still dealing with her
Lover of Romance
I have always loved reading from Gayle Callen, but I believe this is the one book that I have loved reading again and again. For me, it one of her best works. I also have loved reading this series. I have just started this blog, because I have a love of reading, and I enjoy writing. I don't know how good I am at writing though, you will have to let me know on how I do. LOL

It takes place in 1844 in Ramsgate, England, with Meriel Shelby, who is one of three daughters. Her father committed suicide;
Erin
Jun 22, 2017 Erin rated it really liked it
This book kept me reading on for hours just because of Meriel and Richard. I love both of these characters. I liked the storyline, but I felt like the ending was rushed. I like how Callen slowly shows Meriel and Richard's attraction for each other, but the book could have been better if Callen moved at the same slow pace with the ending.
The little boy, Stephen, made the story so much better! He was so cute and blurts out everything Meriel tells him to Richard which puts her into difficult situa
MaggieReadsRom
Jul 08, 2010 MaggieReadsRom rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This was the second installment in the Sisters of Willow Pond-trilogy.
I found it a lovely story of finding love when least expecting it. I certainly enjoyed it more than book 1 in the series.
Maybe because there was a real plot involved where it lacked in book 1 but I also think the characters of the hero and heroine were more appealing to me.
Meriel is practical and logical, forcing herself to lead her life by her intellect and not her emotions after her parents' betrayal and lies.
Th
Lady Darcie Guenon
Jan 03, 2011 Lady Darcie Guenon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance lover
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: willow pond #1
Meriel Shelby hasn't had the easiest life after her father committed suicide and the new position as a governess to Stephen the son of the Duke of Thanet Meriel learned that the only way to stay on is to hide her beauty, but little does she know that the Duke picked her because of her beauty but she has no interest in him until he returns home and beings to change and Meriel has no idea why shes so attracted to him now.
Richard O'Niell has no idea why he agreed to his brothers crazy plan to pose
Kate
Dec 19, 2007 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was my first historical romance (my first romance, too) and I was pleasantly surprised. I've heard not so great things about romances (though I know a lot of people really love them) and I know they can be sort of looked down upon by some as being very formulaic, predictable, and full of taudry sex. I don't know if this author's work is formulaic, or if all historicals would be, but I did find myself surprised by the plot twists in this particular novel and by the lack of sex. Don't get me ...more
Beno
Mar 08, 2016 Beno rated it really liked it
Juliana Philippa
May 23, 2009 Juliana Philippa rated it liked it
Second in the Willow Pond Trilogy and is also second best - the first one was pretty horrible (had me wanting to skim!!!!! Unheard of!) and the last one, which I finished yesterday, was very good. The Duke in Disguise was definitely worth reading, but Callen's characters seem pretty indistinguishable from other historical romance hero and heroines; they are still engaging, but somewhat unimaginative. Also, I don't know what it is about her endings, but they always feel abrupt and hastily done - ...more
Andrea
Apr 06, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
I liked this book - it was a fun read. Short synopsis: a lovely down on her luck (well money) governess is hired to look after a young Lord. His father, the Duke, comes to the estate to heal from an illness....or is it really the duke? The tension between the characters was good - the reasons for the "impostor Duke" (as they say in the book) were clear, but not entirely believable. Callen has a habit in her book of wrapping up the entire story in the last two chapters - I'm talking tons of stuff ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Apr 09, 2012 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it it was amazing
Richard was pretending to be his brother, Cecil the duke who is in London trying to recover from consumption, to help protect his nephew, Stephen. Love at first sight with Stephen's governess, Muriel, was not part of the plan. Sir Charles, their cousin, wants the dukedom for himself, kills the sickly duke and tries to kill Stephen, too. Muriel rounds up the constables to hear Charles's threats and see for themselves that he's the bad guy. She saves their lives, gets to know the real Richard, and ...more
Laurin
I'll give you a brief summary of Meriel and Richard's relationship by way of a dialogue between Stephen and Meriel.
"Miss Shelby, why don't you like my father?"
"I like him just fine, but I'm a sensible woman who prides herself on her practicality, with a brain that. .." Here, Richard walks past wearing no coat or cravat and pasted in sweat. He smiles when he sees her watching.
"Miss Shelby?"
"Huh?"
"You were saying something about your brain."
"Brain? What's brain?"
...
Be prepared for mind-numbing cl
Amanda
I liked this book a lot more than the first in the series. The plot and the characters were more interesting, and even the writing style was better. I liked Richard's character, and his attempt to act like Cecil was amusing. The story line was really good, I only wish it didn't end so abruptly.
Karen
Oct 10, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this book, and am finding myself a huge fan of Gayle Callen. Yet each book has been different and unexpected than the ones before. In this case it was a smidgen slow getting started but I had to keep reading to not miss anything. I didn't ever really want to put the book down. The 'Duke' was such a complex character and I loved Meriel.
Jody
Nov 13, 2011 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books, ebook
This story is about the sister Meriel who has gone to be a governess. The Duke returns home from London and things seem to be a little different from the first and only time Meriel saw him, including her reaction/attraction to him. Well secrets abound in this book and figuring out who is who and who knows what seem to be what most of the story is about. Murder plots/schemes!
Lynne Tull
Feb 17, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
The second book of this series tells the story of Meriel Shelby and Richard O'Neill and her charge the six year old, Lord Ramsgate, Stephen. It is an interesting story with a twist at the end. As with the first book, the story is uncluttered for the most part. It is really a fast read if you want to escape for a few hours. I did!
Rachel
Jan 01, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
This wasn't one of my favs from the Willow Pond set, but it was still good and entertaining. I like the idea of identical brothers switching places, etc. It was a good plot with the evil uncle. And it turned out good in the end.
Shelley
Feb 02, 2016 Shelley rated it really liked it
Great story and I felt sorry for Richard and he had to go through. I was glad that the Duke still believed in his older brother. Still a disgraceful behavior in a Duke. Meriel had her own secret to keep but nothing Richard would hold against her.
Moey17
Jul 10, 2012 Moey17 rated it really liked it
Lovely leads made this one worthwhile! You can tell its an early work from the writing style, but it had good bones and an engaging couple to lead the way, their banter and appeal was palpable, I ended up enjoying this one, though I recognize its flaws.
Pamela
Feb 13, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it
Rated 3.5
DIANNE G DELATORRE
Great reading

Good book one you don't want to put down. Great series of reading can't wait to read the next one.
Samie Kauchis
Feb 04, 2013 Samie Kauchis rated it really liked it
We actually had a plot in this book! It was rather refreshing and made this book much better than book 1... I fully believed in Meriel and Richard's relationship and enjoyed Stephen as well.
Rosemarie
Jul 08, 2011 Rosemarie rated it really liked it
First time I read anything by Gayle Callen. It was a good read with a twist towards the end. I would read another book by this author.
Irma
Jul 09, 2007 Irma added it
My first and my fave Gayle's novel.
E. R.
I plan to re-read this thoroughly after skimming through it.
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Regency
*MariaA*
Sep 02, 2012 *MariaA* rated it it was amazing
Loved it,,,there should have been an epilogue!!
Mary Vilarino
Jun 02, 2012 Mary Vilarino rated it it was ok

The beginning was quite good and left this reader with the suggestion of a good book. But in the end it was rather bland with all characters way too predictable.
Chriscilla Quintana
May 09, 2013 Chriscilla Quintana rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Read it in less than a day.
Joy
Jan 03, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
good quick read...
May
Feb 24, 2014 May rated it really liked it
Shelves: female, 2014
2/26/14
  • A Night Of Redemption (Night, #2)
  • The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty, #.5)
  • A Dangerous Man
  • Golden Girl
  • Ryder's Wife (The Justice Way, #1)
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • The Red Bikini (Sandy Cove, #1)
  • Cinderfella
  • Her Every Pleasure (Spice Trilogy #3)
  • Keeping Pace
  • Desire Me (The Legend Hunters, #2)
  • inCapable (An inCapable World #1)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Dante's Angel (The Breakers' Bad Boys, #3)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • By Love Undone (Bancroft Brothers, #1)
  • Love Is in the Heir (Featherton Sisters, #4)
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
USA Today Bestselling author Gayle Callen writes historical romances for Avon Books. Her twenty-second novel, The Wrong Bride, was published in November 2015.

Gayle’s novels have won the Holt Medallion, the Laurel Wreath Award, the Booksellers’ Best Award, and finaled in the National Readers Choice Awards. She was a nominee for RT Book Reviews Magazine’s Reviewers’ Choice Award. Her books have bee
More about Gayle Callen...

Sisters of Willow Pond (3 books)
  • The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1)
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)