A Hundred White Daffodils: Essays, Interviews, the Akhmatova Translations, Newspaper Columns, and One Poem

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  12 reviews
"There is something in me that will not be snuffed out," Jane Kenyon told Bill Moyers in an interview. And there is no better proof of that than the overwhelming response her poetry generates. Kenyon's last collection, Otherwise: New & Selected Poems, remains a phenomenon: a best-seller that testifies to the impact Kenyon has had on the poetic landscape.

A Hundred White...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Graywolf Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Hundred White Daffodils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hundred White Daffodils

Kitty
I particularly enjoyed the translations of Anna Akhmatova -- and this :

The Moment of Peonies:

This year the plants exceed every expectation. Suddenly they’ve come into their full adult beauty, not strapping, but stauesque – the beauty of women, as Chekhov says, “with plump shoulders” and with long hair held precariously in place by a few stout pins. They are white, voluminous, and here and there display flecks of raspberry red on the edges of their fleshy, heavily scented petals.
These are not Pr...more
Patricia
This volume collects translations of Akhmatova's poetry, newspaper columns, and interviews. The columns and interviews, which discuss her spirituality, struggles with depression, and pleasure in nature, are beautifully written and thought-provoking in themselves. They also provide a valuable context for appreciating Kenyon's poetry. The interview with Bill Moyers was especially wonderful. Here is Kenyon commenting on her poem "Let Evening Come."
"There are things in this life that we must endure...more
Leslie
Jan 06, 2014 Leslie added it
Shelves: poetry, russian
I only read Kenyon's translation of Anna Akhmatova's Twenty Poems, which was only 30 pages of a 248 pg book. That is why there is no rating. However, I loved the poems so Kenyon must have done a good job translating them.
Margie
I recently re-read this collection of Jane's essays, interviews, and newspaper columns. I'm a fan of her poetry but only one of her poems was included. She invites us into the most ordinary acts (raking spring mud) making us love them, love her, love the words that make them shine. I want to write like her - guileless, with wit and humor. This book was published posthumously by her husband, Donald Hall. I'm sorry she's gone.
Marie
I love Jane Kenyon's simple, evocative style. Her translation of Anna Akhmatova's poetry is exquisite: you can feel yourself right there, in Russia, on the coldest winter day... Her poems about everyday life and everyday emotions makes me feel calm...and sometimes a bit melancholy...
Janie
it's sort of a view into a daily life of jane kenyon thru. newspaper articles that she wrote. it's tiny bit "ordinary" and doesn't let itself stretch into the universal, into the beatufil. her translations at the beginning of the book are wonderful, though!
J
It was nice reading some of Ms. Kenyon's essays about gardening. They have much the same tone as her poetry but with more of a open and humorous style. If you like Kenyon's poetry, I'd recommend this book for the essays.
Jeanne
Oct 01, 2011 Jeanne marked it as to-read
From what little I've read on the internet concerning her I have added her book. Will probably have to buy it since I cannot find it at the library. Lucy Shaw?
Mary
This is a collection of essays and some of them are wonderful, some less so. The essays about gardening in New Hampshire are my favorites.
Feb 07, 2009 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, thinkers, poets, book lovers
Recommended to Laura by: Tony Abbott
Shelves: poetry
Terrific provocatie prose poems, essays, musings from a terrificly provocative writer.
Amanda
Read for the Akhmatova translations alone.
Nicole
amazing translations of akhmatova
Jenni Simmons
Jenni Simmons marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ken French
Ken French marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Lloyd
Lloyd added it
Feb 22, 2014
Ali
Ali added it
Jan 09, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Jess
Jess is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2013
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Jeff Streeby
Jeff Streeby marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jane Kenyon was an American poet and translator. Her work is often characterized as simple, spare, and emotionally resonant.
More about Jane Kenyon...
Otherwise: New & Selected Poems Collected Poems Let Evening Come Constance The Boat of Quiet Hours: Poems