Start by marking “The Death of a King” as Want to Read:
The Death of a King

The Death of a King

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The fate of kings is not always glorious....
Indeed, England's Edward II so angered his wife, her lover, and his subjects when he flaunted his male favorites that they revolted, deposed him, and made him prisoner. History records Edward II was eventually murdered most foully in Berkeley Castle and buried most publicly in Gloucester cathedral. But was he? The heir, Edward II
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of a King

Dawn (& Ron)
A light, quick historical read that introduced me to the prolific P.C. Doherty. I don't know how he does it, but he is able to pack enough history to satisfy the historical fiction buff while making them accessible to those not accustomed to the genre. Don't let the size fool you, it is a light, quick read but not light on historical research, atmosphere and detail.
Jessica
This was so much better than I expected. I was hesitant to read this book mostly because it's description and cover looked so dates I was certain it would be snoozefest.

I was so wrong. I read the entire book in one sitting and then researched the characters online. Doherty really made an already intriguing subject (the murder of Edward II) even better by presenting it through such a unique lens. Having the murder investigated and then reported on through a series of letters made every discovery
George
A historical quasi mystery set in 12th century England. Using historical information, the author turns the death of King Edward II into a mystery regarding how did he die and what actually happened. In this story, King Edward III commissions an Oxford clerk in 1345 to find out the truth regarding the supposed death of his father, Edward II, at Berkley Castle in 1327. The clerk, Edmund Beche, then embarks on an investigation that takes him around England, France and Italy to discover the truth pu ...more
Graham Botha
A clever little mystery that attempts to solve the death of King Edward II in 14th Century England. An easy read, well written by Paul Doherty that moves the reader through a series of letters written by the investigator towards a somewhat devious and surprising ending. Based in large part on historical events, this little piece of historical fiction is extremely entertaining.
David
I really enjoyed this book. The story is interesting, the movement is good, the dialog is engaging. One of the best resources to better understand the line in this book between history and fiction can be found at this excellent site: http://edwardthesecond.blogspot.com/2...
Bea
This book is definitely Historical Fiction. Very interesting. It is the story of the Plantagenets - particularly Edward II, Edward III and Queen Isabella. Edmund Beche is commissioned to find out the truth about the death of Edward II. What he finds may cost him his life.
Marisa
Paul doherty took an already mysterious situation from history and wrote a whole mystery novel around it. I did only give it 4 stars because it took a bit to get into. once it got moving though I couldn't put it down.
Victoria Mixon
I couldn't make it through the faux-fourteenth-century language. "I tried to hide my trembling breathlessness."

Yeah. Me too.
Elizabeth White
It took awhile for me to get into it, but by the end I was liking it a lot. Enjoyed the history aspect.
Dora
Read this a while back. All I remember is that I was surprised by how easily I was drawn into the story.
Susan Jo Grassi
I love historical mysteries that gives one pause for thought. Could this story really be true?
Shawn Thrasher
Marvelous! Intricate, dense, well written. A short book that packed a real punch!
Lori
You can see the development that led to Hugh Corbett. Some unusual twists and turns.
Beth
Fascinating read. Engrossing. Never saw that ending coming.
Chris
A surprisingly good read.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Fatema Abdel Halim
Fatema Abdel Halim marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Jeremy Minch
Jeremy Minch marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Sep 03, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The People's Queen
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2)
  • Treason
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • The Master of Bruges
  • A Shrine of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #1)
  • Succession
  • The Man on a Donkey
  • Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1)
  • The Rebel Princess (Alais Capet, #2)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • Blood Lance (Crispin Guest, #5)
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • The Seventh Son

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, C.L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had the
More about Paul Doherty...
Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1) The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1) The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1) The Anubis Slayings (Amerotke, #3) The Horus Killings (Amerotke, #2)