Start by marking “The Death of a King” as Want to Read:
The Death of a King

The Death of a King

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The fate of kings is not always glorious....
Indeed, England's Edward II so angered his wife, her lover, and his subjects when he flaunted his male favorites that they revolted, deposed him, and made him prisoner. History records Edward II was eventually murdered most foully in Berkeley Castle and buried most publicly in Gloucester cathedral. But was he? The heir, Edward II
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of a King

Dawn (& Ron)
A light, quick historical read that introduced me to the prolific P.C. Doherty. I don't know how he does it, but he is able to pack enough history to satisfy the historical fiction buff while making them accessible to those not accustomed to the genre. Don't let the size fool you, it is a light, quick read but not light on historical research, atmosphere and detail.
Jessica
May 31, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so much better than I expected. I was hesitant to read this book mostly because it's description and cover looked so dates I was certain it would be snoozefest.

I was so wrong. I read the entire book in one sitting and then researched the characters online. Doherty really made an already intriguing subject (the murder of Edward II) even better by presenting it through such a unique lens. Having the murder investigated and then reported on through a series of letters made every discovery
Bonnie
Nov 18, 2015 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how much I learned from this book, and from looking up the historical facts, on which it's quite firmly based. Of course there is a somewhat fantastical hypothesis set out regarding the topic of the title. The style is somewhat stilted, though, and the characters a little sketchy.
George
Aug 22, 2010 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A historical quasi mystery set in 12th century England. Using historical information, the author turns the death of King Edward II into a mystery regarding how did he die and what actually happened. In this story, King Edward III commissions an Oxford clerk in 1345 to find out the truth regarding the supposed death of his father, Edward II, at Berkley Castle in 1327. The clerk, Edmund Beche, then embarks on an investigation that takes him around England, France and Italy to discover the truth pu ...more
Graham Botha
Nov 25, 2012 Graham Botha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clever little mystery that attempts to solve the death of King Edward II in 14th Century England. An easy read, well written by Paul Doherty that moves the reader through a series of letters written by the investigator towards a somewhat devious and surprising ending. Based in large part on historical events, this little piece of historical fiction is extremely entertaining.
Bea
Jun 05, 2011 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely Historical Fiction. Very interesting. It is the story of the Plantagenets - particularly Edward II, Edward III and Queen Isabella. Edmund Beche is commissioned to find out the truth about the death of Edward II. What he finds may cost him his life.
Marisa
Jul 01, 2012 Marisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, medieval, novels
Paul doherty took an already mysterious situation from history and wrote a whole mystery novel around it. I did only give it 4 stars because it took a bit to get into. once it got moving though I couldn't put it down.
Victoria Mixon
Oct 06, 2010 Victoria Mixon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't make it through the faux-fourteenth-century language. "I tried to hide my trembling breathlessness."

Yeah. Me too.
Elizabeth White
It took awhile for me to get into it, but by the end I was liking it a lot. Enjoyed the history aspect.
Dora
Oct 07, 2007 Dora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a while back. All I remember is that I was surprised by how easily I was drawn into the story.
Susan Jo Grassi
Mar 03, 2012 Susan Jo Grassi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical mysteries that gives one pause for thought. Could this story really be true?
Shawn Thrasher
Marvelous! Intricate, dense, well written. A short book that packed a real punch!
Lori
Jun 10, 2013 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can see the development that led to Hugh Corbett. Some unusual twists and turns.
Beth
Mar 14, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read. Engrossing. Never saw that ending coming.
Chris
Dec 07, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly good read.
Peggy Geiger
Peggy Geiger marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Sabrina Wilson
Sabrina Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Annie Searle
Annie Searle rated it it was ok
May 19, 2016
Justin LaMont
Justin LaMont marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Lola
Lola rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Whitney Capone
Whitney Capone marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Eddie
Eddie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Ephi Dardashti
Ephi Dardashti rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
  • The People's Queen
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Under the Hog
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Master of Bruges
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)
  • Treason
  • The Man on a Donkey
  • Fields of Glory (The Vintener Trilogy #1)
  • Blood Lance (Crispin Guest, #5)
  • Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2)
  • The Stone Boy
  • The Queen's Head
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...