Start by marking “Winter Moon” as Want to Read:
Winter Moon

Winter Moon (Walker Papers #1.5 included)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,132 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Three new novellas of power that rises beneath the light of the moon.

Synopsis:

Mercedes Lackey
In an isolated land where the lure of the "Moontide" leads to shipwrecks, a woman is torn between obeying her father or her king. When she chooses to follow a Fool, she discovers magic she'd never expected…at a price that might be too high… (Set in The Five Hundred Kingdoms.)

Tani
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Moon

Althea Ann
*** "Moontide" - Mercedes Lackey
If you're a fan of Lackey's work in general, you're bound to like this. A young woman, Moira, is summoned home from her fosterage by her estranged father, Lord of a cold sea-keep. Little does he know she's been trained in spycraft and assassination at the King's court. But Moira guesses that her father has some plot up his sleeve, and his plans might be worse than just marrying her off to a cruel pirate.
The plot progresses without any real surprises, and the gener
Myridian
This book consists of three novellas by three different authors, Mercedes Lackey, Tanith Lee, and C E Murphy. None of the three really spoke to me in the way I was hoping for.

Lackey had been one of my favorite authors as an adolescent and I was looking forward to a little bit of guilty pleasure, escapist reading. Unfortunately the characters didn't feel well drawn out enough for me and too much happened for it to be a satisfyingly described novella. It is true that by the end of the story I wan
The Flooze
Being a fan of Murphy's Walker Papers series, I've suffered from grave confusion throughout the last two books, thinking: What battle with a banshee? When did Billy almost die? WHAT is the deal with Joanne's mom? What in the middle realms is this lady talking about?

Some digging uncovered the novella "Banshee Cries" which Murphy labels Walker Papers 1.5. (Don't you hate it when authors make shorts required reading?)

This was a worthwhile addition to the series, exploring the reasons behind her mo
Shannon
Moontide by Mercedes Lackey **** An estranged daughter is summoned home to be used for his purposes. Her father is unaware that the child he sent away has become a savy, strong woman, with plans of her own. - This never felt like a short story, the characters and setting were well developed and for the most part, it flowed along at a good pace.
Heart of the Moon by Tanith Lee ** A warriro woman is sent to a mystical island, but is it for penance or peace? - I couldn't find anything endearing abou
Kate
This collection of three books was a mixed bag. The first story was fine. A little predictable and cutesy, but fine. The second story was wonderful. Tanith Lee has a fabulous way of creating dreamscapes in her writing. The third story was so bad I didn't bother to finish the book. All in all I'd suggest reading the middle story and ditching the other two.
Samantha
I bought this book to read the story by C.E. Murphy, which is part of her Walker Papers series. I enjoyed that story quite a bit. Of the other two stories, I only read one of them, the one by Mercedes Lackey, which was okay. I didn't even try to read the one by Tanith Lee because I know that her writing doesn't agree with me.
Chichipio
Only read Banshee Cries by C.E. Murphy. I think this is the perfect length for her stories. Same amount of plot and character development, less than half the whining and other annoying things. Definitely better than the second and third full length books of the series.
Mireille
I only read the C.E. Murphy story. I was not interested in the other 2 stories; I just needed my fix until I could get my hands on the next "Walker" papers!
colleen
read 12.30.05
I liked the Walker Papers story best but the other two were also good.
Rachel
The first story by Mercedes Lackey is meant to take place in her world of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, minus the power of The Tradition to force things a certain way. The only clue the I found that could indicate that this story would fit in the Five Hundred Kingdoms is the presence of the Fool. Other than that, it simply read as a good fantasy plotline, with equal parts romance, intrigue, and adventure. The story wrapped up nicely, with no loose ends, but I would love to read a full novel about t ...more
Kelly
A compilation of three short stories by three popular fantasy novelists. All three stories have the similar theme of the power and purpose of the moon.
In Lackey's "Moontide", a daughter returns home to spy on her father for the king only to find her father corrupted by a dangerous pirate lord. She finds herself working along side a jester with whom, in the end, she falls in love.
The story is very Lackey-esque, with a lot of detail put into the surroundings and a well-built back story. However,
Denise
Apr 02, 2011 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
Mercedes Lackey's novella, Moontide, is placed in her Five Hundred Kingdoms world. Her protagonist, Moira na Ferson, is called home from fostering by her father and finds herself plunged into a situation that forces herself to lay claim to her own small magics. Treason beneath the winter moon and an unexpected partnership. -- I've been a fan of Mercedes Lackey for years and enjoyed this new novella immensely.

Tanith Lee's The Heart of the Moon is the tale of a cursed warrior priestess. Forced to
Tracy Riva
I really enjoyed this collection of three stories, titled Winter Moon by Mercedes Lackey, Tanith Lee and C.E. Murphy. All three were romances, with varying touches of fantasy. In some cases only a few characters or situations were truly magical, but in others nearly the entire story was fantasy. All three of the novellas were very interesting. They are Moontide by Mercedes Lackey, The Heart of the Moon by Tanith Lee and Banshee Cries by Catherine Murphy.

I liked the fact that none of the novellas
Alice
Three stories.
Mercedes Lackey - Moontide - [Short Story (longish)] Set in the 500 Kingdoms but "the tradition" isn't involved.
Main Characters: Moira Ferson - the daughter of the Lord of the Sea-Keep of Highclere and one of the Countess Viridian's Grey Ladies (whom I like from the very begining. and Kedric one of the King's Fools, as well as Moira's father, Lord Ferson, and the Pirate Prince Maasid.
Moira and Kedric must counter the actions of Lord Ferson and Prince Maasid to prevent treason and
Summer
Apr 29, 2008 Summer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
This is a book of three novellas, one each by three authors. I got it to read C.E. Murphy's story, Banshee Cries, and then read the other two as well to try out those authors, both of whom I've heard good things about.

I think traditional fantasy is just not so much my thing. I hesitate to say that, because my brain throws up all these "hey, yes you do!" and points out all sorts of fantasy that I love, and that I grew up loving, but none of them are really what most think of when they think strai
Elizabeth Richardson
Winter's Moon is comprised of three novellas that each explore stories focusing on the power of the full moon. That powerful thread weaving them together still allowed for three completely different, yet enjoyable stories and the book made for a fairly quick read.

Moontide, Mercedes Lackey (4 stars)
Heart of the Moon, Tannith Lee (5 stars)
Bansee Cries, C.E. Murphy (3 stars)

----------

Moontide (4 Stars)

Moontide was a charming, quick mystery with fantasy elements. The first pages came across as a bit
Cherie
"Moontide" by Mercedes Lackey
This is my first Lackey story even though I've got her Diana Tregarde mysteries waiting here on Mt. TBR that I haven't read yet. In this novella, Lackey takes us to the land of her Five Hundred Kingdoms and tells the story of a sea keep's daughter who's been sent off to fostering for most of her young adult life. While there, she was trained as an assassin and one of the "Gray Ladies". Her skills come in handy when she returns home to find her father entertaining a p
Bridgette Redman
What better unifying symbol for a collection of fantasy romance novellas than the moon—that silver disk so often associated with women and female spirituality? Likewise, what better symbol if the publishing house just happens to be Luna Books, the fantasy imprint of Harlequin. In what seems an almost too-perfect fit, one of its November 2005 releases is Winter’s Moon, a collection of three novellas.

I’ll confess that it wasn’t the title that caught my eye on this volume. It was the authors, in p
Janice (Janicu)
I picked this up because I love Tanith Lee, and I've also read and enjoyed Mercedes Lackey's work, so the idea of 3 novellas centering around strong young women, magic, and the winter moon was interesting. I'd never read anything by C.E Murphy before, but I wasn't disappointed. The first story, "Moontide" by Lackey, centers around Moira, a young girl summoned back home to a sea keep by her father from an unusual finishing school. Her father expects a demure young woman, but Moira has hidden stee ...more
faeriemyst
I've only read the second story by Tanith Lee so far because I wanted to read at least one of the books in Lackey's Five Hundred Kingdom series before I got to that one. For the first fifty pages, The Heart of the Moon was slow going, but after that it got progressively better and interesting. I think it would be nice to read about Cliro's burgeoning powers. I'd give it a four out of five.

Moontide by Mercedes Lackey was an absolutely wonderful story! After reading The Fairy Godmother, I went on
Suz
This book was a collection of three writers - Mercedes Lackey, Tanith Lee, and C.E. Murphy. They all had the moon as a theme to tie them all in together. I got this book because of Lee (in fact, I didn't realize it was three novellas).

Moontide, the first novella, is Lackey's, and I quite liked it. Useless girl-child is sent away by her misogynist father, gets fostered/raised by an awesome woman who trains her ladies to be more than they seem. She uncovers a plot, ends up taking everything for h
Carolyn
Picked this up because I'm a fan of Mercedes Lackey, but was disappointed in the reading of it. The ML story was ok, but pretty weak, possibly make a good YA read, but no surprises here, you can see the end coming from a mile away. I would love to read more about the Grey Ladies, but hopefully with a bit more plot to them.

The second story was too amorphous and religious/psychological for my tastes - lots of running around in dreamtime to fix her psyche back up. Oh, and handy that she meets a hun
Lyndi
I only read "Moontide" by Mercedes Lackey. It sucked. Very disjointed story with abrupt ending with most of it wrapped up off-page. Lots of time wasted on the kingdom's background when none of it came into play or mattered in the least. Nothing about the magic and The Tradition of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, so I have no idea why it's included in the series. Disappointing.
Alisa
I very much enjoyed the stories by Mercedes Lackey and C.E. Murphy, but didn't care at all for the one by Tanith Lee. Lackey's almost always a good read, and her story is a stand-alone set in her Five Hundred Kingdoms realm, but with all new characters and it's quite good. As I said, I really couldn't stand the Tanith Lee at all. It was just ... crappy. Words fail me. The C.E. Murphy was the best of the three. It's set between books 1 and 2 of her Walker Papers series, and while I don't think it ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/716709.html[return][return]The Lackey is an awfully bog-standard romance yarn; while the heroine is slightly tougher than average, once you have met both the Bad Young Man and the Good Young Man, you know where it is going to end, and sure enough it does. Tanith Lee has tried a bit harder, with a heroine from a female warrior caste doing spritual penance on a moon-drenched island, but even here she slips into a convenient romance and an awfully pat ending. Murphy's sto ...more
Fullfaun
I liked all the stories very much. now, I can continue on with the Mercedes Lackey 500 kingdoms series and start C.E.MURPHY'S series.
Kathy
Only read the CE Murphy - tied up some questions between the first and second in the Walker Papers series.
Banana
I've wanted to read a Mercedes Lackey book for a while, but there's just so many of them (and most of them are part of a series!), I never got around to it. Then, I found this book of three novellas, one of which is by Lackey.

It was a pretty good read. I'd give it 3.5 stars, but it won't let me. Although I preferred Moontide (by Lackey) and Banshee Cries (by Murphy) to The Heart of the Moon (by Lee), I felt that the protagonists of Moontide and Banshee Cries were at times one step away from bein
Beenee Reads
I only read the 'Banshee Cries' book by C.E. Murphy in this collection and I adored it just like the first book in the series!
I really think there will be a pairing between Morrison and Joanne later in the books but for now they are still antagonistic and only somewhat civil to each other.
Joanna
Three novellas, very disimilar aside from a supernatural moon connection. And nothing to do with werewolves! Or vampires! I was very disappointed in the first story, because it held so much promise and then felt cut off abruptly. The second story also felt too short. The third story was a satisfying "between the novels" installment that I particularly loved because there are at least FOUR full size books in the series already. Wooo! The heroine, Joanne, a "shaman", is very Mercedes Thompson-like ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Yet More Fixes 3 34 Mar 29, 2012 05:13PM
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • Rhiana (Changelings, #3)
  • In Celebration of Lammas Night
  • The Wizard's Ward (Umbria, #1)
  • On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)
  • Wings of Fire
  • Silver's Lure
  • Song of Unmaking (White Magic, #2)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts & ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...
Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1) Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1) By the Sword (Valdemar: Kerowyn's Tale, #1) Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3) Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)

“She hissed, right there behind my ear, and I had the horrible idea she was spitting maggots into my hair. Why maggots were a problem when I was about to be dead, I didn’t know, but the idea completely grossed me out.
“In the womb I heard you die, for no one lives when a banshee cries.”
I wasn’t just going to die. I was going to be rhymed to death. That simply wasn’t fair.”
6 likes
“it took Coyote a very long time indeed to show up, or that he looked distracted when he did. How a dog could look distracted, I didn’t know, but there you had it.
“I’m not,” he said for the umpteenth time, “a dog.”
5 likes