Start by marking “Teaching with Intention” as Want to Read:
Teaching with Intention

Teaching with Intention

While Debbie's previous book, Reading with Meaning, chronicled a year in her own classroom, Teaching with Intention brings us into classrooms of teachers and children she has meet over the last five years in her work as a literacy consultant. From setting up the classroom environment to the intentional use of language, from comprehension instruction to lesson design, Debbi

Kindle Edition
Published (first published August 13th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching with Intention, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching with Intention

Marcy
Apr 26, 2010 Marcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the end of second grade, I always get insecure knowing that I can once again teach first grade. Debbie Miller's book, Teaching with Intention, helped me take my "background knowledge" or "schema" about the reading comprehension strategies Stephanie Harvey recommends to use and synthesize how to use her same language and appropriate strategies for first graders. Since Debbie Miller and Stephanie Harvey think pretty much alike, this synthesizing was easy. As I read the book, I jotted down some ...more
Tara Looney
May 10, 2014 Tara Looney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teaching with Intention by Debbie Miller

As a literacy interventionist, I would recommend this to book any teacher seeking growth and improvement. I started this text with my own professional development plan in mind and look forward to this journey ahead!

This well thought out text is guiding my teaching growth in the direction that I feel is best for not only myself but my students as well. Miller's honesty and reflective point of view made me realize that even after ten years of experience we never stop learning and growing.

I appre
Teri
May 24, 2016 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
What a wonderful, refreshing book for a teaching of reading by Miller. Teaching with Intention, at its essence, is about authentic, realistic teaching. She has written in a way where you feel she is sitting right beside you and she is guiding you in the conversation. At first, I felt the audience for this book would be novice teachers, but I kept finding nuggets in the book, after teaching for over 15 years, and I quickly realized this book is for everyone. Even teachers of contents other than r ...more
Amanda Kaye
What an amazing book! I think every new teacher who is in her first five years MUST read this book. And what a great reminder to teacher who have been teaching for a while. I think too often we quickly forget the important details of why we became teacher and what a REAL teacher looks like.

Debbie Miller's first book 'Reading with Meaning' showed us the wonderful material that she was teaching during reading, but this book is the missing puzzle piece. It really breaks down the how. How she plann
Carolyn
Aug 06, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacher-resource
Debbie Miller has a wonderful was of teaching and bringing that through in her writing. This book focuses on defining your teaching beliefs, aligning your practice to those beliefs and taking action to be every present with your students. To build a community of learners that learn from each other in sruprisingly wonderful ways. I will return to this book for futher assistance as Debbie is an amazing mentor.
Kimberly
Jun 08, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say ... to me, Debbie Miller is my role model when it comes to classroom environment and the teaching of reading. This book, just like her first, is outstanding. I will read anything that she writes, for I truly feel that she is a master educator. Any opportunity to learn from her is a gift.
Truly.
Dottie Alo
I learned the value of teaching and preparation must be by design and each practice is delivered with my philosophy. Teachers need to be greatly involved in the reflection of their practices in order to evaluate their position and value of teaching that must encompass reform in the global market and our task.
Emily Freeman
This is the best teacher book I've read this summer. Debbie Miller is one of those authors who write like an old friend. So easy to read, but very powerful ideas grounded in theory. She explains in simple terms why it's so important to put theory into practice and shows how it actually looks inside real classrooms. This is a great book!
Rebecca
Mar 12, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author is Debbie Miller? I want to read it. Both Debbie Miller and Katie Wood Ray have a wonderful writing voice. They pull you in, make you their friend, and teach you everything that you need to know to be confident in letting go of traditional reading and writing rules, and teaching your students as a reader and writer.
Stephanie
Perhaps I've tried to read too many professional books lately. This is a good book with some real opportunities to THINK about what WHY we do what we do each day or WHY we present things the WAY we do. I am marking this as "read" though I've only made it about 1/2 way through. It is time to take a break on professional reading for a bit. :)
Carmyn
Even though this book was marketed toward elementary teachers our book study group found the concepts very applicable to teaching at any age. Inspirational and motivational. I'll be thinking about my teaching differently. Already brewing up new approaches that are more in line with my beliefs.

Shannon
Jan 09, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Debbie Miller is brilliant. She's brilliant because she's not trying to sell a curriculum or a philosophy, but she's challenging us as teachers to look deeper into what we believe. The rest, she insists, will follow. I believe her.
Karen
Important read for everyone who is teaching or preparing to teach. It looks at the fundamentals we need to set up in order to support deep thinking in our classroms. (Environment, time, climate, teacher language, reflection, lesson design, etc.)
JennE
Sep 29, 2012 JennE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
A wonderful follow-up to Reading with Meaning. This book continues from RwM and provides explicit ideas for streamlining instruction. This is a fabulous, teacher friendly book to aide in aligning practice with beliefs.
Gresham
Nov 01, 2008 Gresham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best professional books I've read. It really helps you slow down and examine your beliefs and practices. It's one of those books that will change the way you think about teaching and learning.
Rochelle Eiseman
Another Debbie Miller book full of wonderful information and applicable examples to make your teaching more meaningful!
Carolyn Wilhelm
Good to give yourself a pep talk and not just follow all the programs that can conflict
Amy Leitze
Jun 10, 2009 Amy Leitze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why don't we read books like this in college? This book is really making me think about my beliefs as an educator and how my teaching supports/contradicts those beliefs.
Julie
Jul 06, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it and it was really easy to read. Very conversational tone. It made me think about my teaching process and I'd read her other books.
Kathleen
Feb 09, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't get over how inspirational Debbie Miller has been for me. I want to teach with her. I want my children to be her students.
Liz
Aug 20, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent important book that will center any teacher.
Kris
Jan 18, 2009 Kris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
People, namely teachers and curriculum facilitators, absolutely love this book and say it is transformative in one's teaching practices.
Susan Hjorleifson
Feb 28, 2014 Susan Hjorleifson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trade-books
Good book for any teacher. Some good ideas for in the class
Amanda
Nov 20, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
An excellent resource for teaches, new and experienced. Great ideas on restructuring your classroom and refreshing your environment.
Adam Gutschenritter
Jun 10, 2011 Adam Gutschenritter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
I loved the ease with which Ms. Miller wrote. It easily allowed both her message through and the material she is teaching to become accessable.
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Trina
Trina rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2010
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literacy Assessment and Instruction
  • Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6): Teaching, Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • On Solid Ground: Strategies for Teaching Reading K-3
  • Conferring: The Keystone of Reader's Workshop
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning
  • The Writing Workshop: Working Through the Hard Parts (and They're All Hard Parts)
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Craft Lessons
  • No More "I'm Done!": Fostering Independent Writers in the Primary Grades
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement