Start by marking “Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up” as Want to Read:
Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up

Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  805 ratings  ·  27 reviews
How does your magickal garden grow?... With violets, rosemary, and yarrow to attract faeries; an apple tree for love and health; and a circle of stones in some tucked-away corner? Whether you live in a cottage in the woods, a home in the suburbs, or a city apartment with a small balcony, a powerful and enchanted realm awaits you. Discover the secret language and magickal p ...more
Published March 8th 2003 by Llewellyn Publications (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Garden Witchery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden Witchery

A lot of Ellen Dugan’s magick is done with plant materials, and she tries to grow a lot of it. Most people think of herbs when they think of magickal plants, but in this volume, she writes points out how many plants that frequently aren’t considered magickal can be used; trees, perennials, even groundcovers. She presents many lists of correspondences: flower colors, planetary, days of the week, and gods & goddesses as they related to the plants, allowing you to match the plant to the intent ...more
Courteney Pepper
Ellen is a good writer that makes her books interesting, which in turn makes them easy to read even though they're guide books more than books one would read for pleasure. This book has a lot of relevant gardening information whether or not you follow her religion, and if you do follow her religion she has a lot of good spells and information for using herbs in your spells.
Whether or not you ascribe to the religious aspects of Dugan's notions about gardening, the book still makes itself relevant and useful to anyone who enjoys a well-planted yard. Leaving aside magical associations, Dugan knows her stuff: she's been an award-winning gardender and horticulturist for years and knows what she speaks. Also useful are the aromatherapy and alternative health recipes.
Connie Easlick
I feel this book was a good starter book for learning how to. I don't like that it was written in the form it was, like a fiction book. I think it should have had different chapters that were more with points and spells.
It is written as if you are listening to a person tell you all about things at a coffee table along with her own experiences.
The two best things about this book are:

1. It is full of practical gardening advice including zone ratings and lighting information for all the plants listed.
2. It has chart after chart of correspondences for the flowers, herbs, shrubs, and trees she mentions.

I cannot wait for the winter to end so I can go play in my garden again!
a well written and informative book, a little to much to take in all at once for me. the beauty of a book like this is it sits on my bookshelf and gets picked up as a references when i start my planting in the garden and when i go to harvest for magical purposes
i thought that this was a great book
full of useful information, ideas, spells and stories
if ur a witch who loves to garden or one that wants to get into gardening
then this would be a great book for u to add to ur collection
Ellen Dugan writes very sweet, very basic books on witchcraft. An excellent book for those who are very new to gardening and the craft but not a good supplement book for those who have a good understanding of the topic.
This was jam packed with great information. But I find it very hard to go back and reference things quickly when I need to refresh my memory. So I did like it, but somehow the organization of the book doesn't work for me.
SO much great information, advice, ideas... I can't wait for this spring when I can start planting herbs! I bought this book after getting it at the library, since I can see myself referring to it over and over.
A wonderful reference for the gardening witch. There are sample garden layouts, information on both growing and using various and sundry plants, and just a wealth of information for green witches. I adore this book.
Ellen writes with comfortable humor. She's informative and fun; reading this book was like inviting a friend over for a cup of tea and a chat. I look forward to reading her others.
This and "Elements of Witchcraft" were the first books by Ellen that I ever read and she is MAJORLY my most favorite Pagan author! I would recommend her books to any Pagan!
I just got this book using an Amazon certificate. I am starting to garden, growing tomatoes, herbs, etc., so this looks like a book for me.
A great fun read!
interesting and positive. I need all the help I can get, so if that means planting some specific plant in my garden, I will ;-)
I borrowed this book from my Mom, once. It was very well written, with lots of beautiful picutres!
A great book about gardening and witchery. It's written in a down-to-earth, humorous style.
I learned so much about gardening from this book. It got me so excited about gardening
floriography, faeries and charms. Lovely little book, one I turn to again and again.
Kelsea Dawn Hume
Old garden folklore imparted by a delightfully dotty witch. What's not to like?
Heather Stroebel
I re-read this every year as I plan what I am going plant. Love this book!
I really ought not read books on Gardening at the beginning of the winter!!
Okay. Good starting point.
Great information for anyone who loves to add a little magick to thier gardening!! By the way you dont have to have a yard to enjoy this book!
Liz Schuster
Aug 02, 2009 Liz Schuster marked it as to-read
oooh la la
Naeema marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
  • Everyday Magic: Spells & Rituals for Modern Living
  • The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • The Real Witches' Garden
  • Wheel of the Year: Living the Magical Life
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives - Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends and Emotions Under the Moon
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • Halloween: Spells, Recipes & Customs
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Natural Magic
Ellen Dugan, is the award winning author known as the "Garden Witch". A psychic-clairvoyant, she has been a practicing Witch for over twenty-seven years. She is a Master Gardener, and teaches classes locally and online on Witchery, psychic development, and Magick. She is the author of the 16 non fiction books published by Llewellyn Worldwide. Legacy Of Magick is her first novel.

Visit her website
More about Ellen Dugan...
Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality Book of Witchery: Spells, Charms & Correspondences for Every Day of the Week