Start by marking “Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)

Change of Heart (Change of Heart #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  6,050 Ratings  ·  509 Reviews

As a young gay man-and a werepanther-all Jin Rayne yearns for is a normal life. Having fled his past, he wants nothing more than to start over, but Jin-s old life doesn-t want to let him go. When his travels bring him to a new city, he crosses paths with the leader of the local were-tribe. Logan Church is a shock and an enigma, and Jin fears that Logan is both the mate he

Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2009)

julio
Oct 06, 2012 julio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy absurdly hung Alpha men who like to announce that you and your asshole belong to him
Listen.

description

Once you get past a wobbly first few pages, forgive minor plotting issues, and just sorta... sit back and let this book happen to your face?

AMAZEBALLS CRAZY-GO-NUTS BAJARPANTI AND ASSPLODINGLY HAAAAAAWWWWWWWT.

[gag reflex on the "aaaawww" in "hawt"]

One passage in particular gave me a raging boner for an hour, ehrmergherd you gaiz, srrrssly, I cannot even.

Some people dislike the tropes so deftly deployed in this one, but not me. No ma'am.

Well... whatever. But not this time!

I went through ha
Mel
Sep 17, 2010 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, e-book
Jin is a panther shifter who has been on the run for over eight years. At age 16 he was beaten by his own tribe and left for dead because he was an abomination. See: Jin is a reah, a destined mate to a tribe leader, but they're not supposed to be male... or gay...

I read this book because of the raving reviews. People loved the story and they were particularly praising about the world building. And now I wonder: did we even read the same book?

Because, yes: the author tried to set up a new world
Jenni Lea

Hi, my name is Jenni Lea and I'm a Calmes Crack Whore. It's been 5 minutes since my last Calmes. I tried to stop once but I almost died from lack of oxygen as my panic attack from thinking I would never get to read those addicting words took over.

Now I don't fight it. I just wallow in the goodness that is The Mary Freaking Calmes; flipping the bird to all those "friends" who want to "help" me kick the habit. Fuck them and their interventions!

Me and my fellow crack hos will be in the van, partaki
Sheziss
One of my first books in the m/m genre.

description

This review will be Tarzan talking.

Jin is an unmated reah.

description

That means, he is destined to be the mate of one single semel.

That means, he is looked for by all tribes to be paired with its leader.

That means, he is respected and adored.

description

Yet everybody wants him dead.

Why?

Ah, I forgot, because he’s the reah.

description

Yet he hides himself because he thinks they won’t accept him.

Why?

Ah, I forgot, because he’s the reah.

description

Yet he is not respected.

Ah, I forgot, because he’s
Gigi
Sep 16, 2012 Gigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gigi by: Jenni Lea
Yeah! And it only took me 3 years to read! Loved it! On to the sequel...

Loved it!!
P
Oct 28, 2016 P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
“My mate is a man, and therefore I can be no other than gay.

Jin

"Don't judge a book by its cover" has never been so true until I read this book after looking over it more than ten times. Shame on me because Change of Heart is amazing. The chemistry between Jin and Logan is palpable and exploding. Mary Calmes started this one off very well, she introduced me to this fascinating world with panthers and hierarchy. I love them. I love these big cats like my chocolate xD

Logan

“I love you" I sighed,
Gina
2nd reading 7/30/16 Still loving it!

I just want to say about this book….OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

This was fun, exciting, hot hot hot like i have not read in a book in a while and MM and panther shifters, and trauma, past abuse and wonderful world building. I enjoyed myself so much reading this, I can’t even wipe the smile off my face!!

Did I mention the sex was hot? Well it’s red hot, it’s panties on fire hot! It’s my hands are absolutely glued to my kindle hawwwt!!!!

There, i got it out, now I feel bet
Emma Sea
so . . . sometimes you shouldn't ever try to go back. Re-read four years later; what a load of drek *face palm*

Shockingly terrible.

(I'm not re-rating, though. I liked it in 2011.)
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
This book has been on and off my TR shelf since I don't remember. I'm glad I finally decided to read it.

MM romance and shifters was an amazing combination. This book had action and everything a paranormal one should have. It was very well written, although some times it felt strange. It was cute and Jin and Logan were sweethearts.

I like once in a while reading about possessive males and dominance showings.

I ended up liking other characters, too, and I saw some very potential couples in them...
LenaLena
Sep 14, 2011 LenaLena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, omg-wtf-bbq
I'll have to read more shifter books, I guess, because I am really, really not getting the ones I've read so far. And I'm not getting why this one is so popular, in particular.

I recently complained there weren't enough rules in some book I read (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...). This book has taught me that there is such a thing as too many rules too. A quick and dirty word search shows that there are roughly 50 discussions of laws and rules in here. The reason there is so much talk abo
R * A Reader Obsessed *

I'm not going to be bringing anything new with this review. I will say however that despite this story embodying classic, standard Calmes plotlines and characters (but with different names and settings) it really works well in the paranormal world.

The absurdity and plot holes can easily be explained away with the destined mates trope. Claiming and possessiveness and Logan going alpha on Jin's ass are all acceptable. Spontaneous sex whenever and wherever is absolutely guaranteed, and just lends t
Tara♥

With all of the awesome Mary bits in between.

I hadn't a clue what was happening most of the time and I don't know who was who and what was what but it has a Jory (Jin) and a Sam (Logan) and Jory (Jin) being stupid and thinking he is not good enough or good at all for Sam (Logan) and Sam (Logan) being straight and falling head over heels in love with Jory (Jin) at first sight. Classic MC. Full of awesome.

The whole tribe thing is confusing and all the Russian names makes it even more
Ingela
Written July 29, 2013

3 Stars - started well, kind of sweet, but I wasn't really hooked

A fairly entertaining novel, but also a complicated shifter world. Both good and bad, but I wasn't commited to these characters. Too rushed perhaps? ~ ...Although overall quite okay.

***********************************************

Jin Rayne is a shifter (wewpanther) who prefer to avoid all were-tribe's. He wants to live free from the traditions and now he works at a restaurant in Reno to where he and his good fr
MishyJo
Oct 31, 2016 MishyJo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Jory were a werepanther, this would be his book. The sex in the last hour of the audiobook was so hot. Lots of biting and marking and claiming and dirty talk. Yum. As much as the story screamed A Matter of Time, the narration was totally Timing. I kept waiting for Stephan to appear. The narration wasn't great, but the audiobook is 6 years old, done back when MM audiobooks all seemed to have sucked. I am tempted to stop at book 1, but quite certainly will move on the book 2.
Marte

**** 4 growly MINE stars ****

Were-panthers? Sure, why the heck not?

This one surprised me, it was actually very good! The story was kinda ridiculous and stereotypical for shifter stories, but then I'm not looking for reality when I'm reading a shifter book.
There was a pretty big glossary to learn as well, like "Semel - leader" and "Reah - true mate of a Semel", and they are so frequently used that I could use the book as a drinking game and be smashed by the end of chapter three or something. A
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
One of my favorite genres is shape-shifters. Especially rare ones (or considered rare in the story). This book caught my attention because that is exactly what Jin is. A rare black panther instead of a golden panther. You get captured in the story. You don’t want to put the book down right from the start, it just sucks you in. The writing can get quite descriptive about just ordinary things (which I love because it makes you feel as if you are living the story) and the sex scenes seem to fit the ...more
Em
This is the first book I've read by Mary Calmes and I really enjoyed it. I thought the tension created between Logan and Jin was amazing and really hot. I loved the fact that Logan wasn't going to take no for an answer and didn't back off for one moment. Jin was his mate and that's all there was to it.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series and would definitely recommend this book.
Brendy
Sep 07, 2015 Brendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nh-shifters, mm
After reading some review about this one, I was expecting a whole caveman behavior from part of the guy… but actually it wasn’t quite like that.
So I’m not quite sure if I mess a book before this one, ‘cause the book goes straight to the point while teaching a lot of things about a culture, well… shifters, panther shifters that I’m still trying to get my fingers into… they are related to some greek and Egyptian miths, oh! And I’m also pretty much sure that the author has a thing for mangas, given
Ami
After being highly entertained by "A Matter of Time", this book left me cold. The love story is cliché and forgettable. I think what irks me the most is the concept of "you're my mate" thing.

If written right, the journey of finding and claiming a mate can be wonderful (for example Psy-Changeling series, which I totally love). But here, it feels like it is forced, there is no budding romance. It's like, you're my mate, accept it, I mark you, you belong to me, blah blah... It's completely boring.
Amanda
Nov 11, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm always wary of new-to-me authors, particularly lately, when I seem to be growing much more particular about my reading material. So (due in part to the low scores here on Goodreads) I put off reading this book. It has sat on my TBR list for quite a while, waiting to be cracked open and devoured.

That was my mistake. I truly enjoyed this story from start to finish and look forward to reading more work by Mary Calmes. I absolutely loved the main characters - Jin and Logan - and hope there are
Loederkoningin
I know that it's almost mandatory to start your review with a "wtf did I just read?!" in the romance/taboo genre, but "wtf did I read here?!". After 2 beers it did get better, in the sense that I couldn't stop laughing at the telenovela madness, but I think I need to snort some to really get into it.

Okay, that's it for me. But hey, my curiosity's been satisfied.
Macky
Read originally in 2011.

Decided to have a reread after I found out my good buddy Gina was reading this and had reminded me how hot it was!
OMG, the sexual tension in this rockets! The love scenes are hot, hot, hot and Jin and Logan are true soul mates. Yeah, its insta love and sometimes jin can seem a bit too good to be true but that's the nature of most of Mary's characters and personally I love her formula so you either take that on board or you don't. There's plenty conflict, angst, soul sear
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 14, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
What can I say? I L-O-V-E-D this book. Like hug and kiss my Kindle loved it. Jin and Logan were just perfect, perfect, perfect!! Mary Clames just has a way of perfecting both characters and writing them in such a manor that you feel that they are made for each other, because, well, they are. I know I am a fangirl and I know that I probably will love everything that she writes but that does not take away from the fact that this was an excellent shifter story. The world building was awesome, the s ...more
Meags
3 Stars

For some strange reason, I’m finding it really difficult to decide how I feel about this book. On one hand, this novel was basically an amalgamation of all of my favourite book tropes. This was a paranormal story; an m/m romance; a shifter tale, incorporating shifter lore which was wildly unique (if somewhat confusing at times); a story of destined mates (with a MAJOR Mine!Mine!Mine! feel) – all of this just screams “Meags!!”

Weirdly though, something didn’t quite work for me in the way th
Wendy
I just cant helpt it....Mary Calmes' books are like crack to me. Once I start reading I just can't stop. I know they are ott at times and I know that one of the characters is usually so fucking perfect and loved which makes it all really unbelievable, but I just love this stuff !!! Worms for me every single time. Hopefully it will stay that way..since I have a lot more of her books to read.

This one was about Jin and Logan. They are big cat shifters (yummy). Now the whole storyline is too much fo
Lauraadriana
3.5 Stars

Okay so in the end after like a one year break, I tried this book again and damn IT HIT THE SPOT...Granted I had just read a TERRIBLE book, and I HAVE developed a taste for Mary Calmes this year, especially Acrobat LOVE YOU DREO!!! So this time around things were a bit more *ahem* lubricated for me.

So Jin is a werepanther and a "reah" a VERY rare shifter that is meant to be the mate of a semel. Semels are the chiefs of the werepanther tribes, and are also ALWAYS males. This was a proble
Fangtasia
Mar 25, 2011 Fangtasia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I had to read another 'It's the Law!!!' or 'Look into my eyes'...I was going to scream. The repetition of the strange terms, i.e. 'reah', 'semele', etc., and the 'laws' got to me, too. Found myself saying out loud "ok, keep moving!!" or "yeah, yeah, yada-yada-yada, move on!!" several times. As it was, I finished it because the sex was pretty good, though totally unrealistic.

I'm afraid of going for another of her books.
Victoria  love books
Jul 22, 2015 Victoria love books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shifters, mm, audio-mm
4.5 Mine All Mine stars!!!

This was different but I loved every word.

First there is Logan AKA Logeen he is the Semel Panther (Alpha male of the pack, king, leader what ever you want to call him) of the tribe. Believe me he is all alpha there is no question.

Jin:
description

Then there is Jin he is the Reah (now that means he is a true mate of the Semel but not just any semel. He was born for a specific semel. Reahs are very special they are very hard to find and if a semel is mated to a reah he gets a new t
Heller
Jul 12, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what I was expecting with this book but I was really surprised with it. The world-building was so different! There are panther shifters here with an Egyptian foundation that I found fascinating.

I've been resisting reading this because I tend to not read a lot of MM PNR. If this is what I've been missing I obviously need to expand my net because I got sucked right into this world and these characters.

Tortured hero. Check. Alpha mate. Check. Tight friendships. Check. Unique world-bu
  • With Caution (With or Without, #2)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Lone
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Duck! (Avian Shifters, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Soul Mates, #3)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Unacceptable Risk (Hidden Wolves, #1)
  • Infected: Prey (Infected, #1)
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club #1)
  • Betrayed (Cursed #2)
  • Force of Law
  • Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1)
  • Body Magic (Triad #2)
  • Cake (Blood Nation, #1)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf #1)
Mary Calmes lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with her husband and two children and loves all the seasons except summer. She graduated from the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California, with a bachelor's degree in English literature. Due to the fact that it is English lit and not English grammar, do not ask her to point out a clause for you, as it will so not happen. She loves writing, becomi ...more
More about Mary Calmes...

Change of Heart (5 books)
  • Trusted Bond (Change of Heart, #2)
  • Honored Vow (Change of Heart, #3)
  • Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart, #4)
  • Forging the Future (Change of Heart, #5)

“I love you" I sighed, unable to keep the smile from my face,leaning back and looking at him through heavy-lidded eyes. "I really do".
"I know", he grunted, very pleased with himself. “You can’t live without me. I’m like cheese.”
85 likes
“It was surprising to hear it from his lips, my plain, ordinary name spoken as it never had been before, with awe, lite it was sacred, like treasure. Like I was treasure.” 25 likes