Start by marking “The Japanese Bath” as Want to Read:
The Japanese Bath

The Japanese Bath

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the West, a bath is a place one goes to cleanse the body. In Japan, one goes there to cleanse the soul. Bathing in Japan is about much more than cleanliness: it is about family and community. It is about being alone and contemplative, time to watch the moon rise above the garden.

Along with sixty full-color illustrations of the light and airy baths themselves, The Japane
Hardcover, 1st edition, 96 pages
Published April 24th 2001 by Gibbs Smith Publisher (first published March 12th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Japanese Bath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Japanese Bath

Mary
Got this from the Kura Door in the Avenues and can't wait to one day try a traditional Japanese bath there. The book is gorgeous and soothing...the peaceful photographs as well as the author's distinctly Japanese voice explaining all aspects of the Japanese bath to Westerners. I had no idea there were so many nuances and differences in how varying cultures bathe. It inspired me to be more mindful in my own daily care. I wish I had the money to put a Japanese bath in my home!
Rebecca Huston
A book that I found very enjoyable to look at, but there are some severe flaws in some of the information that it gives. Still, for design inspiration and how to bring a Japanese feel to your bathroom, this is good for ideas. Three and a half stars rounded up to four.

For the complete review, please go here:
S.J. Pajonas
This book makes me want to rip out both my bathrooms and redesign them as Japanese baths. Also, I'm dying to go back to a rotenburo now. Thanks book.

Gorgeous photography and a good range of all different kinds of baths.
I love a good soak in the tub, but my tub is shallow and sad. This book made me long for a deeper, calmer, more lovely tub.
Kid
would only be two stars but for the ideas it gave me for when (if ever) i get to build my dream house.
Star9fire6
Star9fire6 marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Machiko
Machiko marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Jaclyn
Jaclyn added it
Dec 30, 2014
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Donnika
Donnika marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Maddie Hatter
Maddie Hatter marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Lynne
Lynne is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
John Stoneman
John Stoneman marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Ryan Fredrick
Ryan Fredrick marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Foxglove Zayuri
Foxglove Zayuri marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Devotions Greene and Greene: Masterworks The Other Lover On Rope: North American Vertical Rope Techniques Fashion Photography: A Complete Guide to the Tools and Techniques of the Trade