Start by marking “The Weiser Field Guide to Witches: From Hexes to Hermione Granger, from Salem to the Land of Oz” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Witches peek from greeting cards and advertisements, and they dig twisted roots from the ground. Witches dance beneath the stars and lurk around cauldrons. Witches heal, witches scare, witches creep, and witches teach A compendium of witches through the ages, from earliest prehistory to some of the most significant modern practitioners, The Weiser Field Guide to Witches ex ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Weiser Books

To ask other readers questions about The Weiser Field Guide to Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weiser Field Guide to Witches

Dana Wright
This book caught my attention the moment I saw it on the shelf. I was lucky to receive a copy from the publisher for review. What an excellent reference for all things witchy! Check out my review on my new witchy themed blog.

Check out the Practical Magic Blog Party on September 24th, 2011 @ On the Broomstick. An interview will be posted of Judika talking about her work.
Angela Pippinger
Very enjoyable and perfect for witches and non witches alike! See my website for more detailed review
EZRead eBookstore
Ah, the sweet sweetness of a brand-new ARC in the mail. This week, I was treated be Weiser Books to preview “The Weiser Field Guide to Witches”, a guide book to all things witchy. As advanced as I thought my knowledge of witches were from “Harry Potter” and “The Crucible”, I was taken to school with this easy-to-digest and somehow very comprehensive guide to famous and infamous witches. I dare anyone to not want to pick up this book after looking at the cover, by the way, it’s adorable.

The book
Dem
eh. a decent, quick introduction. nothing super special, though I did learn a good deal f new stuff.
David smith
great reference written in a fun manner.
Steven Shane
Dec 08, 2014 Steven Shane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Steven Shane by: Lisa
Maybe it is not the best but i felt very happy reading it.
Aleasha
I skimmed it really, but I nice little history and easy to read
Kathleen
I started my adventure through this book just flipping to random pages, and had fun discovering new and interesting characters and information. Then I read the introduction and just kept reading. I wasn't expecting this to be a read cover to cover book but that is just what it turned out to be! There is so much information and covered in a way to give you a short overview but leave you excited to do more research! I highly recommend this book.
David Ward
The Weiser Field Guide to Witches: From Hexes to Hermione Granger, From Salem to the Land of Oz by Judika Illes (WeiserBooks 2010)(398.45) is an interesting overview of the perception and treatment of witches in literature and popular culture throughout history. My rating: 5.5/10, finished 4/4/11.
Jenny B.
I found this book very interesting. I was deeply entertained by the detail in historical figures, and variety of pagan belief. Anyone interested in pagan practice or cultural beliefs, then I would recommend this book to you.
Alice
I thought this was a well intentioned and sometimes humorous little book that covers everything from kitsch (Bewitched) to history (Salem) and touches on various traditions, tools and craft. I enjoyed it.
Miranda
This book is a great overview of witches in history, lit, and film. It doesn't go into great detail on any of them, of course, but it's a good way to get leads for further research. :)
speciallyi
Snappy and easy to read. Includes fictional and factual occurences! I have forgotten about my Charmed ladies and Sabrina the teenage witch (born from Archies comics)
Anastacia
Good book about witches and history of witches. Aradia is a work of fiction, but they danced around the topic. Also, they didn't mention Wicca's questionable origins.
L.
Decent overview and brief history of witchcraft. Good intro for those with knowledge limited to Hollywood versions.
review upcoming @ thefaeryromanticlibrarian.blogspot.com
Nychola
interesting! loaned from library..might buy a copy.
Ashley
Ashley added it
Apr 26, 2015
Lucia Kelly
Lucia Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Jan Bartlett
Jan Bartlett marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Rishonda
Rishonda is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Sarah Applegate
Sarah Applegate is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
David
David added it
Feb 16, 2015
Infamous
Infamous marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Utterly Wicked: Curses, Hexes & Other Unsavory Notions
  • Herb Magic for Beginners: Down-To-Earth Enchantments
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Wiccan Warrior: Walking a Spiritual Path in a Sometimes Hostile World
  • Celebrate the Earth: A Year of Holidays in the Pagan Tradition
  • The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home
  • The Real Witches' Kitchen
  • Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic
  • A History of Pagan Europe
  • The Sorcerer's Secrets: Strategies in Practical Magick
Born in New York City, my metaphysical career began early: My first encounter with tarot cards at age six was also my first experience of love at first sight! That passion still burns true. Although I do practice other forms of divination, tarot remains the foundation of my practice.

A lifelong pursuit of metaphysical wisdom followed and continues: astrology, mythology, Kabbalah, the Egyptian myst
More about Judika Illes...
The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses Pure Magic: A Complete Course in Spellcasting The Element Encyclopedia of 1000 Spells The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts