The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity: A Modern Practical Guide to the Ancient Way

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  26 reviews
With a detailed introduction to the ancient philosophical, ethical, and religious Chinese practice of Taoism, The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity is a unique, comprehensive, and practical self-help guide to live a balanced and positive Taoist lifestyle.

Written by a Westerner for the Western mind, The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity is perfect for the modern reader inte...more
Published July 15th 1989 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity

Justin
terrifying. amazing. makes me want to cleanse my colon and flush my sinuses with a neti pot and eat nothing but pure umprocessed food.

despite the author's best efforts however, I do not wish to give up ejaculating.
Benjah
GOOD BOOK IF YOU ARE INTO CHINESE PHILOSOPHY, HEALTH, CHEE GUNG ETC.. OR SIMPLY CURIOUS. NO NEED FOR BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE. A REAL EYE OPENER , IT WILL CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT YOUR HEALTH. I HAVE SO FAR READ IT 5 TIMES IN THER LAST 15 YEARS , HAVE APPLIED THE TECHNIQUES AND IT HAS CHANGE MY LIFE....
Kendrick
Great Info...wish I was disciplined enough to do all it recommends, but I'm smart enough to do a lot of it. Try it for yourself and see if things don't work out better
kellyn
Such a great 'reference' book about so many areas of life, but I disagree with the premise that longevity is the chief aim of life. As the book puts it, "Taoism is concerned primarily with life on earth. It unequivocally equates physical and mental health and insists that only a strong, healthy body can house a strong healthy spirit, which is why Tao focuses so strongly on health and longevity."
The assertions that "a supreme state of being-a sublime state that lies deeply locked within every hu...more
Spiderbobster
Great insights on chinese philosophy. Also a great way to rethink the way our body works and behaves in time. Tao signifies the primordial essence or fundamental nature of the universe and is both a religion and a philosophy.
julieta
Este libro es una maravilla como referencia, para cualquier persona interesada en la salud, en todos sus aspectos. Alimentación, enfermedad, etc etc, es visto y contado como se ve desde el tao. Genial, para tener cerca de la cabecera, o en la cocina. Hay cosas imposibles de seguir (se puede hablar en este momento de evitar secadoras de pelo, o computadoras?), Pero hay muchas cosas que tienen mucha lógica, y me encanta ahora saberlas, no se si para aplicarlas o no, pero es información muy valiosa...more
Jennifer Dant
Such a good book, loved all the information!
Kat
This book so far has been extremely informative in regards to eastern medicine and diet, proposing lifestyle changes to lead to a healthier body, mind, and soul. Some of the tips are things I would not regularly practice myself, but I still find their explanation for why they are necessary to be of interest.
Patrick
just a great overall reference book on a wide variety of subjects: fasting, breathing, diet, nutrition, exercise, healing, etc...I have completed two 7 day fasts in the last year and this book was a great reference (but have yet to try the colonics aka: colon cleansing program recommended in the book).
Jeremy
Taoism: Thousands of years of knowledge can't be totally useless, right?

Well, although some stuff may seem a bit odd, it only takes a few seconds of thinking to realize how it just makes practical sense. I know a few people who's used tea kettles and salt water to cleanse out their nostrils. heh
Sean Quinn
This an older book (over 20 years) but the wisdom of Taoism is very old. I'm into the philosophy of Taoism and this is almost a manuscript on how to live your life in accordance to "the Way". Read with an open mind and you'll be sure to find a few gems to apply in your own life.
Daniel
This book has made it to my top 10 list. It teaches many ways to live a healthier life. We, Americans, don't understand what we eat and how it effects our life.

This book will give you an eye opening view of what you put into your body.
Holly
Jun 21, 2007 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a wholistoc approach to living
this book is like a bible. a great reference to keep around. it covers everything from cleansing to proper food mixing, to tantra. it comes from an esoteric perspective but the information/techniques are timeless and simple.
Kevin Shannon
Jul 26, 2009 Kevin Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I think that every "westerner" should read this book.
This is one of my all time favorite books.
This book is one of those that can change the course of your "western" life.
Coryb
The info in this book is potentially life changing and life saving. I've got to take time to apply the useful information on a more consistent basis.
Josh Sawicki
this book has become almost a bible for my daily life, especially my eating habits. it also indirectly led me to start practicing yoga.
Henry Chavarria
This book is AMAZING, great knowledge, one of my favorites. It's on my bookshelf... Will definitely satisfy your curiosity.
Chalky
One day I will probably read more of this, but after 6 months, I confess it's only one chapter so far!
D.C. Gallin
This book changed my life and it showed me the (health) path I've been on ever since... highly recommended!
Angel
This is the book my husband was reading when I met him. Pretty interesting stuff!
Nicole
This book is very informative on so many levels... I definitely recommend!
Karen
Sep 20, 2013 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: body, sex
Interesting... sometimes confusing... sometimes thought provoking...
Zoë Bulboff

this book is fabulous. love it
Martha
great book for referencing many things!
Phil
title speaks for itself.
Steve

Good stuff
Katarina Lily
Katarina Lily marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Inti Gonzalez
Inti Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Ilya
Ilya marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Recipes for a Small Planet
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Seductions of Rice
  • The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
  • Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • The Inner Chapters
  • My Voice Will Go with You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Erickson
  • Ecoholic: Your Guide to the Most Environmentally Friendly Information, Products and Services in Canada
  • The New Moosewood Cookbook
  • The Essential Tao
  • Ten Poems to Change Your Life
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American
  • The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
The Tao of Detox: The Secrets of Yang-Sheng Dao; A Practical Guide to Preventing and Treating the Toxic Assualt on Our Bodies Complete Book of Chinese Health A Complete Guide to Chi-Gung Chinese Herbal Medicine Shambhala Guide to Traditional Chinese Medicine