Start by marking “Teacher: The One Who Made the Difference” as Want to Read:
Teacher: The One Who Made the Difference

Teacher: The One Who Made the Difference

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In 1969, Mark Edmundson was a typical high school senior in working-class Medford, Massachusetts. He loved football, disdained schoolwork, and seemed headed for a factory job in his hometown—until a maverick philosophy teacher turned his life around.

When Frank Lears, a small, nervous man wearing a moth-eaten suit, arrived at Medford fresh from Harvard University, his stude
Published September 9th 2003 by Vintage (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teacher

Sean
As a teacher, I came to this book looking for tips, looking for insight into how to be "the one that made a difference." Edmundson says that there are two kinds of great teachers: ironists, like Socrates, who ask rather than lecture, who admit that they do not know, rather than insist that they do. Their agenda is not to convince the student of a particular view, but to convince the student to live thoughtfully, mindfully, and honestly by his own lights; and truth-tellers, like Freud and Jesus, ...more
Ellen
Aug 11, 2008 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ellen by: Steve
Shelves: non-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. At first I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more about the teacher that Edmundson sets out to honor, and it took me a while to get into the book. But in the end, I really got absorbed. I like books that are set in the 60's, and I like to read different points of view about the war and the protesters and the hippies. This was a pretty good memoir of that time (as judged by me, who wasn't even born then) - what it was like to be a normal, slightly confused, most ...more
Alli Poirot
Recommended to me by the headmaster of the new school where I will be teaching starting in August. There are some interesting connections here-- the author grew up in Malden and Medford, just one town over from where I live and have lived for the past 9+ years; he also went to Bennington. Me too.

The book is a memoir about the author's experience of a philosophy class taught by an inspiring, but mostly very alien and nonconformist teacher in his senior year at Medford High School.

I have to say,
Jeffrey
This book was great inspiration for anyone who wants to become a teacher (espeically if you're male) because for once, the book connected to the reader. Granted it takes place during the late 1960s and early 1970s so we cannot relate to the problems in society but the reader can connect with the author in the experiences that he has. Also, Franklin Lears (the teacher) is one of the most influential people and one of the best literary characters. He makes the kids think for themselves by using of ...more
Mary
Up front: I highly disliked this book.

To be fair in general I don't enjoy memoirs, but this one seemed particularly tedious.

I found the story rambling weighed down by tedious details and superfluous metaphors. While many of them were interesting, when there are a dozen within a page it becomes harder to appreciate them.

As someone training to be a teacher, I did not find this inspiring or educational but terribly depressing. As a student, I found this to be a poor example of high school even t
Katie
I went into reading this book as others did, as evidenced by the message board, I wanted to find some tips about teaching. Although I did learn a lot and loved to learn about Mr. Lears I thought that the book was kind of misleading. Hidden, and not very well at that, is the author's desire to write a memoir about himself in that year entirely separate from the classroom. Unfortunately, this mix didn't benefit the book- but the rest, the in between was great.
Erin
I have to concur with most people's assessment of this book: I get the need to describe things in vivid detail, but this is too much to slog through. For being titled "Teacher" there wasn't enough about the actual teacher for me. As the story took place in "Meff'ahd" MA, I had moments of recognition and "hey, I know that place!" But without that, this book is a total pass.
Ellyn
Feb 20, 2009 Ellyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006
The author grew up in the 1960s in working class Medford, Massachusetts, and this memoir is about the high school philosophy teacher that inspired him and changed his life forever. I liked the overall message, but the writing is not very good. The author rambles A LOT, and the book moves very slowly as a result. I had trouble getting through it.
richard
Feb 08, 2008 richard rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: carly
Good book. It's a memior about the author (now professor) as a high school senior who was going nowhere before his philosophy teacher came to teach. About both of them. Very real picture of teenage boys in the 1960s - pretty funny actually. Very inspiring story about what a teacher can do.
Hans Guttmann
Mark taught at my boarding school. He seemed quite intellectual at the time. He had an alternative bent as we all did. This being the case, it was surprising to hear about the background he came from, that of the dreaded jock culture. An interesting story and well told.
Esme Lorraine
I just could not finish this book. I would not recommend it. He writes like he wants to prove to everyone he is an English teacher, words that are rarely heard are used frequently in the book. Just not my style.
Marjory J
I enjoyed this book very much, but didn't feel that I learned much from it - maybe because I already knew from my own experience that students often learn more when they are not nailed to their seats.
Kathleenmanley
I liked this book as far as it had to do with the teacher and the classroom and even how the author was influenced, but it seemed more like a memoir of the author's high school years.
Tim
Dece. Part academic essay, part memoir. Parts didn't always mesh for me, but Edmundson's vision for a successful, power-subverting, teacher saw me through.
Moses
Teacher's guidance to help students learn how to separate themselves from 'groupthink' and choose to chart their own paths and adventures in life.
Therese
A memoir by a guy who is an English professor--and a tribute to the high school teacher who influenced his life.
Anna
I enjoyed reading this but it took me forever to slog through.
Mark Greene
A must-read for people in education
Carrie Pirmann
education
Kathleen Dailey
Kathleen Dailey is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Omar
Omar marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 10, 2015
Ashlee
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Douglas Eu
Douglas Eu marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Ben Gantt
Ben Gantt is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Success
Success marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jennifer is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
  • School of Dreams: Making the Grade at a Top American High School
  • Tested: One American School Struggles to Make the Grade
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • Heart of a Soldier
  • The Gun and the Olive Branch: The Roots of Violence in the Middle East
  • The Cell: Inside the 9/11 Plot & Why the FBI & CIA Failed to Stop It
  • Tales from the Teachers' Lounge: What I Learned in School the Second Time Around—One Man's Irreverent Look at Being a Teacher Today
  • Katz on Dogs: A Commonsense Guide to Training and Living with Dogs
  • Teachers Have It Easy: The Big Sacrifices And Small Salaries Of America's Teachers
  • Doing School: How We Are Creating a Generation of Stressed-Out, Materialistic, and Miseducated Students
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America
  • Dot.con: How America Lost Its Mind and Money in the Internet Era
  • How to Walk to School: Blueprint for a Neighborhood School Renaissance
  • Horace's Compromise: The Dilemma of the American High School
  • Small Victories: The Real World of a Teacher, Her Students, and Their High School
  • Reading Chekhov: A Critical Journey
  • Raising America: Experts, Parents, and a Century of Advice About Children
Why Read? Why Teach?: In Defense of a Real Education The Death of Sigmund Freud: The Legacy of His Last Days Why Football Matters: My Education in the Game Nightmare on Main Street: Angels, Sadomasochism, and the Culture of Gothic