Start by marking “Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Most people think that poor communication is the reason why so many relationships end, but it's actually the way we learn to think about our partners and our problems that kills trust, erodes intimacy, and cripples communication. In Why Can't You Read My Mind?, psychologist Jeffrey Bernstein reveals-for the first time-the nine toxic thought patterns at work in virtually ev ...more
Published November 3rd 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published November 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Why Can't You Read My Mind?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Can't You Read My Mind?

Erika RS
My goal: find a good book about communication in relationships. There are endless books about communication and endless books about relationship, and most of them are written for an audience whose standard reading fare is magazine articles. I chose Why Can’t You Read My Mind? Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship by Jeffrey Bernstein and Susan Magee because it was both relatively well rated and available at my library. My rating: 2/5

Why Can’t You Re
Brooke
Apr 16, 2008 Brooke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Brooke by: everyone in a relationship wondering how to help it
This is the best relationship self help book I've ever seen. I buy it for most of my girls when they move in with a boy, just because I know how frustraiting it can be.

I'm living with my 3rd boy friend, and it's finally easier. I can come home walk into a messy place and NOT take it personal. It has nothing to do with me. I didn't know that until I read this book.

This book teaches you how to communicate verbally those things you expect him/her to be able to 'just know'. No one can tell what's w
Ariel
This book uses the principles of cognitive therapy to help you turn off your "toxic thinking". The author proposes that if you thought your way out of love than you can think your way back in. Like most of the relationship books I have read the solution starts with you. You cannot change your partner, only yourself. You have to accept your responsibility for the problems and you are the only one who can fix them. You can't expect your partner to make you happy by being able to "read your mind". ...more
Andrea
Oct 08, 2008 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any woman
This book allowed me to see myself in a relationship and understand the thoughts I were having were sabotaging my own happiness. Regardless of the relationship this book will help anyone looking for answers from their partner....when their partner isn't talking.
Cassandra
Offered some helpful tips; well suited to anyone who finds themselves being occasionally irrationally negative in relationships. I'm glad I read it. We'll see if I can put Mr. Bernstein's methods into practice..
Cynthia
Jul 03, 2008 Cynthia is currently reading it
My husband of 28 years is very interested in why I'm reading this book.
Ana Gonzalez
Ana Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Sue Moffat
Sue Moffat marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Asma Ben
Asma Ben marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Britta Abeln
Britta Abeln marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Anaya Hearne
Anaya Hearne marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Pat Orr
Pat Orr marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Akemi
Akemi marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Maggie Cunningham
Maggie Cunningham marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Tammy-elizabeth
Tammy-elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Nagaveni
Nagaveni marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Andrew Dymond
Andrew Dymond marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Hana Bilqisthi
Hana Bilqisthi marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create More Love and Less Conflict
  • Love Is Never Enough: How Couples Can Overcome Misunderstandings, Resolve Conflicts, and Solve
  • The Psychology of Romantic Love
  • Dr. Gary Chapman on The Marriage You've Always Wanted
  • How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It: Finding Love Beyond Words
  • Loving People: How to Love & Be Loved
  • Newton's Gift: How Sir Isaac Newton Unlocked the System of the World
  • Conversations about the End of Time
  • Why I Stayed: The Choices I Made In My Darkest Hour
  • Secrets About Men Every Woman Should Know
  • The Winning Investment Habits of Warren Buffett & George Soros
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • Richard Feynman: A Life in Science
  • The Complete Book of Questions: 1001 Conversation Starters for Any Occasion
  • Evolve Your Brain: The Science of Changing Your Mind
  • The World of Mathematics Set
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • Falling in Love: Why We Choose the Lovers We Choose
10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior 10 Days to a Less Distracted Child: The Breakthrough Program that Gets Your Kids to Listen, Learn, Focus, and Behave Liking the Child You Love: Build a Better Relationship with Your Kids--Even When They're Driving You Crazy 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior Liking the Child You Love