Start by marking “Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Most people think that poor communication is the reason why so many relationships end, but it's actually the way we learn to think about our partners and our problems that kills trust, erodes intimacy, and cripples communication. In Why Can't You Read My Mind?, psychologist Jeffrey Bernstein reveals-for the first time-the nine toxic thought patterns at work in virtually ev ...more
Published November 3rd 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published November 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Why Can't You Read My Mind?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Can't You Read My Mind?

Erika RS
Jun 01, 2012 Erika RS rated it it was ok
My goal: find a good book about communication in relationships. There are endless books about communication and endless books about relationship, and most of them are written for an audience whose standard reading fare is magazine articles. I chose Why Can’t You Read My Mind? Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship by Jeffrey Bernstein and Susan Magee because it was both relatively well rated and available at my library. My rating: 2/5

Why Can’t You Re
Brooke
Apr 16, 2008 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Brooke by: everyone in a relationship wondering how to help it
This is the best relationship self help book I've ever seen. I buy it for most of my girls when they move in with a boy, just because I know how frustraiting it can be.

I'm living with my 3rd boy friend, and it's finally easier. I can come home walk into a messy place and NOT take it personal. It has nothing to do with me. I didn't know that until I read this book.

This book teaches you how to communicate verbally those things you expect him/her to be able to 'just know'. No one can tell what's w
Ariel
Nov 15, 2011 Ariel rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book uses the principles of cognitive therapy to help you turn off your "toxic thinking". The author proposes that if you thought your way out of love than you can think your way back in. Like most of the relationship books I have read the solution starts with you. You cannot change your partner, only yourself. You have to accept your responsibility for the problems and you are the only one who can fix them. You can't expect your partner to make you happy by being able to "read your mind". ...more
Isaac
Another self-helpy type book that I began a long time ago and just ended now. It's main worthwhile point in my opinion is the concept of "Toxic Thoughts".

"Your thoughts can get you into trouble, however, when the negative ones stop being occasional and become more frequent, habit-like, unrealistic, intense, and distorted. When that happens, you're experiencing toxic thinking."

"By controlling our toxic thinking, we can control our feelings."

As I am discovering by the number of "self-helpy" type b
Andrea
Oct 08, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any woman
This book allowed me to see myself in a relationship and understand the thoughts I were having were sabotaging my own happiness. Regardless of the relationship this book will help anyone looking for answers from their partner....when their partner isn't talking.
Cassandra
Feb 04, 2011 Cassandra rated it liked it
Offered some helpful tips; well suited to anyone who finds themselves being occasionally irrationally negative in relationships. I'm glad I read it. We'll see if I can put Mr. Bernstein's methods into practice..
Cynthia
Jul 03, 2008 Cynthia is currently reading it
My husband of 28 years is very interested in why I'm reading this book.
Jane Potter
Jane Potter rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Mdh5036
Mdh5036 marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Helen Stone
Helen Stone marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Micnasuc Anca
Micnasuc Anca rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Althea
Althea marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Michele Finn
Michele Finn marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Aug 16, 2016
Idrees
Idrees marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Dawn Marie
Dawn Marie rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Elen Hovhannisyan
Elen Hovhannisyan rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Janney Guerra
Janney Guerra marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
javadiva
javadiva marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Eamon
Eamon marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Erin Rambeau
Erin Rambeau marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Drew Oliver
Drew Oliver marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
CM Tu
CM Tu added it
Jun 03, 2016
Claudia Bogani
Claudia Bogani rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • Communication Miracles for Couples: Easy and Effective Tools to Create More Love and Less Conflict
  • Dr. Gary Chapman on The Marriage You've Always Wanted