Why Can't You Read My Mind?: Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Most people think that poor communication is the reason why so many relationships end, but it's actually the way we learn to think about our partners and our problems that kills trust, erodes intimacy, and cripples communication. In Why Can't You Read My Mind?, psychologist Jeffrey Bernstein reveals-for the first time-the nine toxic thought patterns at work in virtually ev...more
Published November 3rd 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published November 2nd 2003)

Erika RS
My goal: find a good book about communication in relationships. There are endless books about communication and endless books about relationship, and most of them are written for an audience whose standard reading fare is magazine articles. I chose Why Can’t You Read My Mind? Overcoming the 9 Toxic Thought Patterns that Get in the Way of a Loving Relationship by Jeffrey Bernstein and Susan Magee because it was both relatively well rated and available at my library. My rating: 2/5

Why Can’t You Re...more
Brooke
Apr 16, 2008 Brooke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Brooke by: everyone in a relationship wondering how to help it
This is the best relationship self help book I've ever seen. I buy it for most of my girls when they move in with a boy, just because I know how frustraiting it can be.

I'm living with my 3rd boy friend, and it's finally easier. I can come home walk into a messy place and NOT take it personal. It has nothing to do with me. I didn't know that until I read this book.

This book teaches you how to communicate verbally those things you expect him/her to be able to 'just know'. No one can tell what's w...more
Ariel
This book uses the principles of cognitive therapy to help you turn off your "toxic thinking". The author proposes that if you thought your way out of love than you can think your way back in. Like most of the relationship books I have read the solution starts with you. You cannot change your partner, only yourself. You have to accept your responsibility for the problems and you are the only one who can fix them. You can't expect your partner to make you happy by being able to "read your mind"....more
Andrea
Oct 08, 2008 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any woman
This book allowed me to see myself in a relationship and understand the thoughts I were having were sabotaging my own happiness. Regardless of the relationship this book will help anyone looking for answers from their partner....when their partner isn't talking.
Cassandra
Offered some helpful tips; well suited to anyone who finds themselves being occasionally irrationally negative in relationships. I'm glad I read it. We'll see if I can put Mr. Bernstein's methods into practice..
Cynthia
Jul 03, 2008 Cynthia is currently reading it
My husband of 28 years is very interested in why I'm reading this book.
Gianna James
Gianna James marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Damien Escobar
Damien Escobar marked it as to-read
Youssef Kammassi
Youssef Kammassi marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Chi
Chi marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Leslie Jones
Leslie Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Kumar Abhishek
Kumar Abhishek marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Rini Das
Rini Das marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Kristi Burns
Kristi Burns marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Tenuunbaigali Batdelger
Tenuunbaigali Batdelger marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
C
C marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Karlo
Karlo added it
Meg Sarnowski
Meg Sarnowski marked it as to-read
Amy-Christine
Amy-Christine marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior 10 Days to a Less Distracted Child: The Breakthrough Program that Gets Your Kids to Listen, Learn, Focus, and Behave Liking the Child You Love: Build a Better Relationship with Your Kids--Even When They're Driving You Crazy 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior Liking the Child You Love