Start by marking “Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)” as Want to Read:
Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)

Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,244 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Martha is frustrated because Mum has said she's too old to be playing on the moors now, and she must have a governess.First there's Miss Norrie. All she must to do is teach Martha sewing and etiquette. But Martha's high spirits are too much for her, and she leaves in a hurry. Martha thinks that's the end of that, but then another governess shows up. Her name is Miss Crow, ...more
Published May 8th 2001 by HarperTrophy (first published May 1st 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Down to the Bonny Glen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to the Bonny Glen

Tarissa
Feb 08, 2017 Tarissa rated it it was amazing
'Tis a bonny book, indeed!

The chapters simply fly by -- I, for one, couldn't stop reading it! When away from the book for hours at a time, I found myself wondering what would happen next to Hedgie (Martha's dear little pet hedgehog that lives in the larder to collect the bugs), or what special bit of wisdom that Auld Mary would next impart to her starling pupil, or worrying about whether or not Martha will end up sending the second governess packing, just as she did to Miss Norrie.

Martha Morse h
Rea K
Aug 15, 2015 Rea K rated it it was amazing
N'aww.
Martha's eight and a half in the beginning of this book. One of the things that I love is that Martha doesn't repeat herself. She doesn't go and watch sheep shearing two book in a row.
We see Martha growing up. She hadn't realized until this book how different life as the laird's daughter is compared to a tenant's daughter. Even the other children realize the difference.
When I was eight and a half, I was flying through third grade, not a care in the world. Other than that, I don't rememb
Allison
Oct 21, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
- this was my favourite Martha Years books
- I think because of (view spoiler)
- I used to love but also be quite confused by the Scottish accent that Wiley writes out. Like "och" and "nay." Man, that first one really confused 11-year-old me.
Rosa Cline
Just like Ms Wiley did with the first book in this series, this is the third book in the Martha Years, she incorporated lots of History in her writing. This book opens the doors for the older readers to do independent research about the various traditions, ways of life she writes about. 9 year old Martha experiences more in this book than she has in the other books, and most are traditional life living in the late 1700's in Scotland. Had my attention that I feel asleep each night reading since I ...more
Heather
Sep 14, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
In this third book of what is a four book series, we see Martha hitting that age where she is starting to grow up. She still loves to be outside and have fun instead of doing her lessons (like any child), but she starts to become aware of the world around her. She begins to see that her sister, Grisie, is of an age where she might be leaving home soon and what responsibilities growing up and becoming a woman entail. You can see a real difference between the reckless child of the beginning of the ...more
Ashley Perham
Nov 29, 2014 Ashley Perham rated it it was amazing
This book doesn't have as many descriptions of Scottish culture as the other Martha books I've read, but it did seem to have more character development.

At first, I was disappointed in Mrs. Morse. I mean, come on, can you not see the obvious problems with your kid's governess? But the apology made me like her again, and see her as a real person, who can make mistakes!

Miss Crow is basically Mary Poppins, down to the umbrella! She's strict, but lovable. It makes you realize how much easier it is to
Diana (Bever) Barber
Aug 13, 2012 Diana (Bever) Barber rated it really liked it
Martha isn't really that old, but she is now "too old" to be running wild on the moors. She's been assigned a governess. The first one is not patient nor very kind to her. The second (Miss Crow) is a dear soul, though not completely trusted at first. Martha's brother and best playmate, Duncan, is away at boarding school with his elder brothers. Martha's sister, Grisie doesn't pay as much attention to Martha as she used to. Grisie is turning into the refined beauty of the land, but she isn't real ...more
Rebecca
Apr 23, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jerianna
Jul 06, 2008 Jerianna rated it it was amazing
Reading aloud to Sarah and Pat at night. Love these Martha books. This is the only one I don't have my own copy of, and I'm DYING for one--it's the best one of the series. It's out of print and super pricey--even on e-bay.

Anyway, this is supposed to be like the Little House on the Prairie books, but it's about one of Laura's ancestors set in Scotland. Very delightful character, well written historical fiction.

I've read them all before, but it's all I can do to not read ahead during the day.
Lori Shafer
Nov 26, 2013 Lori Shafer rated it it was amazing
If you like the Little House Books by Wilder, you will love this series. Martha is so full of life and adventure. It is also a look into the lives of people in the highlands of Scotland in the late 1700's.

I especially liked this book because you see Martha becoming aware of how her life is different from the children she played with as a child. Suddenly, she is glimpsing what it means to be a lady.
Jennifer Heise
I actually quite liked this, which is odd considering I mostly read these continuations out of a sense of completism. Martha and her family were all portrayed as good decent people in the LIW tradition, and there was a balance between Martha's responsibilities and discipline. She is being taught to think of others beside herself, in a subtle way-- and she is clearly doing her best. I like it.
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 Kasey rated it liked it
This book was very fun to read and I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Anne
May 26, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
The third in the Martha series is a robust contribution. The story is rich, and the characters continue to develop, although Martha's brothers are sorely missed. Two minor plot lines seem to dangle at the end; the new characters of Miss Norrie, Miss Crow, and young MacDougal enrich the narrative, and the older characters of Cook and Auld Mary remain the bulwarks they have been.
Mary-Jane
Jul 14, 2015 Mary-Jane rated it really liked it
As Martha gets older, she needs a governess to teach her needlework, copying, and etiquette. She is relieved when her first governess is fired, then is pleasantly surprised with her new governess. Martha continues to develop interesting relationships with the servants and neighbours.
Sadie
Mar 25, 2009 Sadie rated it really liked it
Continuing story of Martha. Very tender story as she learns to appreciate her family and her role as a laird's daughter. I have really enjoyed the Martha series and look forward to reading the next book.
Renae Deckard
Feb 06, 2011 Renae Deckard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Little House on the Prairie
Shelves: read-alouds
Scottish history and legends are woven into this touching tale of Martha Morse, Laura Ingalls Wilder's great grandmother.
Molly's Sister
May 13, 2008 Molly's Sister rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who liked the other Martha book
More Martha stories.
Sarra Martin
Mar 03, 2010 Sarra Martin rated it really liked it
When I first read this story (age 6) I was entirely confused by the dialect. But when I picked it up again at about age 10, I really enjoyed it.
Partridge Public
Sep 20, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: JF Wil
Shelves: juniorfiction
Wiley, Melissa
Taylor
Nov 21, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it
Loved it, but does anyone know why these books are so expensive?
Katie Loucks
love this series!!!
Ruth
Apr 24, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
delightful
Kaye
Feb 02, 2009 Kaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-teen
Little house, Martha years. (Lauras great-grandmother)
Cindy
Dec 19, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
No. 3 in a series about Laura Ingalls Wilder's great grandmother, Martha Morse. Very well written. Easily kept my interest.
Elevetha
Absolutely adored this series when I was younger, though I cannot speak for how they stand up to the test of time and maturity.
Lisa Baker
Mar 11, 2014 Lisa Baker rated it it was amazing
I loved Down to the Bonny Glen! My favorite part was watching the relationship grow between Martha and Miss Crow, her new governess.
Lindsey
Feb 17, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
One of my favorite childhood books
Kaitlin Robinson
Kaitlin Robinson rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2017
Regina Stevens
Regina Stevens rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Linda Williams
Linda Williams rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • A Little House Traveler: Writings from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Journeys Across America
  • The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1)
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
Melissa Wiley is the author of more than a dozen books for kids and teens, including The Prairie Thief, Inch and Roly Make a Wish, Fox and Crow Are Not Friends, and the Martha and Charlotte Little House books. She lives in San Diego with her husband and their six kids. Melissa blogs about her family’s reading life at Here in the Bonny Glen. She is @melissawiley on Twitter.
More about Melissa Wiley...

Little House: The Martha Years (4 books)
  • Little House in the Highlands (Little House: The Martha Years, #1)
  • The Far Side of the Loch (Little House: The Martha Years, #2)
  • Beyond the Heather Hills (Little House: The Martha Years, #4)