Start by marking “Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)” as Want to Read:
Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)

Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  873 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Martha is frustrated because Mum has said she's too old to be playing on the moors now, and she must have a governess.First there's Miss Norrie. All she must to do is teach Martha sewing and etiquette. But Martha's high spirits are too much for her, and she leaves in a hurry. Martha thinks that's the end of that, but then another governess shows up. Her name is Miss Crow, ...more
Published May 8th 2001 by HarperTrophy

To ask other readers questions about Down to the Bonny Glen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to the Bonny Glen

The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareJohnny Tremain by Esther ForbesCaddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie BrinkOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Best Historical Fiction for Children
54th out of 200 books — 119 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettMatilda by Roald DahlNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz
Books for nine-year-olds
376th out of 393 books — 267 voters

More lists with this book...

Allison
- this was my favourite Martha Years books
- I think because of (view spoiler)
- I used to love but also be quite confused by the Scottish accent that Wiley writes out. Like "och" and "nay." Man, that first one really confused 11-year-old me.
Ashley
This book doesn't have as many descriptions of Scottish culture as the other Martha books I've read, but it did seem to have more character development.

At first, I was disappointed in Mrs. Morse. I mean, come on, can you not see the obvious problems with your kid's governess? But the apology made me like her again, and see her as a real person, who can make mistakes!

Miss Crow is basically Mary Poppins, down to the umbrella! She's strict, but lovable. It makes you realize how much easier it is to
Rosa Cline
Just like Ms Wiley did with the first book in this series, this is the third book in the Martha Years, she incorporated lots of History in her writing. This book opens the doors for the older readers to do independent research about the various traditions, ways of life she writes about. 9 year old Martha experiences more in this book than she has in the other books, and most are traditional life living in the late 1700's in Scotland. Had my attention that I feel asleep each night reading since I ...more
Rebecca
Diana (Bever) Barber
Martha isn't really that old, but she is now "too old" to be running wild on the moors. She's been assigned a governess. The first one is not patient nor very kind to her. The second (Miss Crow) is a dear soul, though not completely trusted at first. Martha's brother and best playmate, Duncan, is away at boarding school with his elder brothers. Martha's sister, Grisie doesn't pay as much attention to Martha as she used to. Grisie is turning into the refined beauty of the land, but she isn't real ...more
Lisa Baker
I loved Down to the Bonny Glen! My favorite part was watching the relationship grow between Martha and Miss Crow, her new governess.
Elevetha
Absolutely adored this series when I was younger, though I cannot speak for how they stand up to the test of time and maturity.
Jerianna
Reading aloud to Sarah and Pat at night. Love these Martha books. This is the only one I don't have my own copy of, and I'm DYING for one--it's the best one of the series. It's out of print and super pricey--even on e-bay.

Anyway, this is supposed to be like the Little House on the Prairie books, but it's about one of Laura's ancestors set in Scotland. Very delightful character, well written historical fiction.

I've read them all before, but it's all I can do to not read ahead during the day.
Anne
The third in the Martha series is a robust contribution. The story is rich, and the characters continue to develop, although Martha's brothers are sorely missed. Two minor plot lines seem to dangle at the end; the new characters of Miss Norrie, Miss Crow, and young MacDougal enrich the narrative, and the older characters of Cook and Auld Mary remain the bulwarks they have been.
Lori Shafer
If you like the Little House Books by Wilder, you will love this series. Martha is so full of life and adventure. It is also a look into the lives of people in the highlands of Scotland in the late 1700's.

I especially liked this book because you see Martha becoming aware of how her life is different from the children she played with as a child. Suddenly, she is glimpsing what it means to be a lady.
Kasey
This book was very fun to read and I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Sadie
Continuing story of Martha. Very tender story as she learns to appreciate her family and her role as a laird's daughter. I have really enjoyed the Martha series and look forward to reading the next book.
Sarra Martin
When I first read this story (age 6) I was entirely confused by the dialect. But when I picked it up again at about age 10, I really enjoyed it.
Renae Deckard
Feb 18, 2011 Renae Deckard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Little House on the Prairie
Shelves: read-alouds
Scottish history and legends are woven into this touching tale of Martha Morse, Laura Ingalls Wilder's great grandmother.
Cindy
No. 3 in a series about Laura Ingalls Wilder's great grandmother, Martha Morse. Very well written. Easily kept my interest.
Taylor
Loved it, but does anyone know why these books are so expensive?
Kaye
Little house, Martha years. (Lauras great-grandmother)
Katie
Another cute story in the series. I enjoyed it.
Lindsey
Mar 26, 2014 Lindsey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
One of my favorite childhood books
Faith
Thoroughly engrossing and charming!
Molly's Sister
Sep 20, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: JF Wil
Shelves: juniorfiction
Wiley, Melissa
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • On Top of Concord Hill (Little House: The Caroline Years, #4)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • A Little House Traveler: Writings from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Journeys Across America
  • Mary Ingalls on Her Own
  • The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1)
  • A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)
Melissa Wiley is the author of more than a dozen books for kids and teens, including The Prairie Thief, Inch and Roly Make a Wish, Fox and Crow Are Not Friends, and the Martha and Charlotte Little House books. She lives in San Diego with her husband and their six kids. Melissa blogs about her family’s reading life at Here in the Bonny Glen. She is @melissawiley on Twitter.
More about Melissa Wiley...

Little House: The Martha Years (4 books)
  • Little House in the Highlands (Little House: The Martha Years, #1)
  • The Far Side of the Loch (Little House: The Martha Years, #2)
  • Beyond the Heather Hills (Little House: The Martha Years, #4)
Little House in the Highlands (Little House: The Martha Years, #1) Little House by Boston Bay (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #1) The Far Side of the Loch (Little House: The Martha Years, #2) On Tide Mill Lane (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #2) Beyond the Heather Hills (Little House: The Martha Years, #4)