Start by marking “The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Quilting Basics with Modern Flair .12 quilt projects for beginners, confident beginners, and intermediates .Explore different options for each project-make it with just two colors or scrappy, make it vintage or mod, make it soft or playful. .Alternate colorways included with each project show you how swapping out fabrics can change the look of the same block. .Learn how to ...more
Published November 16th 2010 by Stash Books (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Practical Guide to Patchwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Practical Guide to Patchwork

Denyse Schmidt Quilts by Denyse SchmidtThe Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth HartmanThe Modern Quilt Workshop by Bill KerrSunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean NybergLast-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Best Modern Quilt Books
2nd out of 26 books — 28 voters
Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing by Gretchen HirschHow to Make Sewing Patterns by Donald H. McCunnThe Colette Sewing Handbook by Sarai MitnickThe Party Dress Book by Mary  AdamsThe BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook by Nora Abousteit
Sewing library
16th out of 33 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
I admit, I was skeptical that I'd learn anything new from this book, especially after I read the introduction and saw she had been quilting for 10 years, while I've racked up more years than that. But I was wrong and I found a few things I hadn't seen before, like great corners to add to small quilts for easy hanging (page 19), some good ideas for fussy-cutting (page 28), and some great stuff on binding that will make my next project much easier (pages 40-44).

I also really like how she gives di
JayeL
Sep 01, 2011 JayeL added it
Shelves: 2011, quilt
I am really looking for a comprehensive basic guide to quiltmaking. I am beginning to think that such a book does not exist and may not be possible to create. Granted, I haven't read every single book purporting to be a "comprehensive guide". Why do I care? I want my students to have a resource to which they can refer when they get stuck. The resource should be comprehensive, basic, detailed and POSITIVE. Skills are important, but the quilt police are not. I want to get people to their sewing ma ...more
Ciara
i LOVED this book! i realized after i bought it that it's the same book i paged through last summer when i was looking for quilt ideas for the baby quilt i was going to make for ramona. elizabeth's "snapshots" quilt inspired me to try fussy-cutting. that quilt is still not finished & i'm not wild about how it turned out, but now that i have more sewing experience (including quiltmaking) under my belt, i realize what i did wrong. i was impatient & i was trying to cut corners & speed u ...more
Priscilla
Elizabeth Hartman’s Blog is FUN and so is her book "The Practical Guide to Patchwork". In the introduction Elizabeth points out that “a quilt is something you’re likely to work on for weeks or even months. There are many steps, each of which may involve learning a new technique.” I was delighted to see that Elizabeth shows the steps in the quiltmaking process in a way that makes it fun and interesting. The first three chapters cover the basics on how to plan and construct a quilt for start to fi ...more
liberal sprinkles
Elizabeth Hartman has written an excellent book for quilting beginners. As in her blog, the writing in The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker is friendly, the instructions clear and she makes it look achievable - an important point since quilting can be intimidating in so many ways.

Hartman covers the basics of patchwork and quilting very succinctly, giving instructions and suggestions for materials, tools, fabric choices, color combinations, adjusting pattern size
Megan
When you look at a quilting book there are some that are completely your style and you end up keeping them forever and paying a ridiculous amount of fines at the library until you return the darn thing and buy it.

Elizabeth covers the basics helping a novice quilter along from start to finish. Full of helpful hints, an amazing attention to detail, and an type A organization style that seriously does it for me. Seriously, home organization stores, fabric and office supplies do it for me. Sorry, I
Skoo
I think this is a very approachable book for quilt owners and wannabes to own. The pages aren't horribly busy. I like that I own some of the fabrics she uses in her book. The projects all seem to realisitic for the sections they are in, and I'm inspired to make some quilts I haven't made in a long time like Fenced in, and I want to try Rain or Shine.
As a mostly self taught quilter I found some useful tips and explanations on how to use some of the "new" tools, like binding clips. I own them, b
Rebecca
A beautifully-composed look at the basics of quilting. Projects are contemporary and fresh--lots of white and light gray backgrounds to show off clean, brightly-colored designer prints--and the language is friendly and approachable. Reads very much like an extended post from Hartman's enjoyable quilting blog "Oh, Fransson!" Won't take the intermediate quilter far, but would make a great gift for someone new to the craft who doesn't want to make "grandma quilts."
Kathryn
I don't own this book, I borrowed it from the library. It is well written and full of pictures and tips. The quilts are very modern, somewhat the direction quilting is going with the new quilters. There is one quilt in the book I would enjoy making one day when all of my other projects are completed!
Jean
I love this book! I have been quilting for 10 years and I still found information that has helped me improve my quilting. The text is well written and easy to understand. The project section has easy to follow instructions and advice, not to mention options. An excellent choice for a beginning quilter or a seasoned quilter.
Anna
This is such a helpful book for a beginner like me. I also love how Hartman shows several different colorways and variants for each pattern.
Kim
If you're looking for a book to teach you quilting and you're not an old blue hair who's interested in making something yet another flying geese/Ohio star/sawtooth quilt, this is a great book. The instructions are clear and the tips are great; things that make quilters argue like the pros and cons of pre-washing fabrics are presented evenly. It's like having a good friend who wants to tell you how to make a quilt. The patterns are varied and interesting, and having someone pay as much attention ...more
Catherine
This book is a great beginning for new quilters. Lots of pictures, clear directions and tons of inspiration, the projects seem approachable and interesting. With a jump-in attitude, a newbie, like me, gets all the encouragement needed to start.
I would have liked to see more information on the machine quilting aspect. Different motifs, where and how they might be used might be necessary information closer to completion of a quilt.
Overall, an informative, inspiring beginning to the quilt making pr
Lesley
OMG I love this book. I wish I could find fabrics like these locally (that didn't cost an arm and a leg) to make something similar. I will have to get this book again. This is certainly more of a patchwork than traditional quilting with some quilts shown, which doesn't detract from how beautiful the quilts are that are shown. If you have some lovely fabrics and want an idea of what gorgeous quilts that can be made with that fabric, this book is for you.
Emily Leathers
Dec 28, 2011 Emily Leathers rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any beginning or intermediate quilter, or an advanced quilter wanting to learn about modern quilts
I really enjoyed Ms Hartman's approach to quiltmaking - modern, flexible, and most importantly with an emphasis on enjoying yourself and making quilts that reflect your own individual taste.

Lots of great photos, lots of beautiful fabrics. Very useful, very detailed instructions about basic quilting techniques. Also very detailed instructions for each quilting project.

I'll add a more detailed review when I've completed one of the projects.
Melissa
I love the layout of this book. It starts with the most basic of basics and explains some things about quilting that other books take for granted. If you've never even touched a piece of fabric before in your life you'll be able to figure out how to quilt using this book. The photos and colours are fantastic and the instructions are easy to follow. Highly recommended for quilters of all experience level, especially beginners.
Rebecca
This book is fabulous. I knew nothing about quilting until I found this book. The writing is helpful and the pictures are wonderful. Elizabeth is a master at teaching you what is what in the quilting book. Plus, all of the prodjects are beautiful and something one would actually want in you house. A must for all parties interested in sewing and quilting.
Leila T.
Um, I might need to own this book. I've read the whole thing and it might be perfect. Or it WOULD be, if only it included a comprehensive, detailed list of every fabric she used in every one of her quilts, extra/alternative blocks included. I have nerves from reading it in bed, unable to get up and start making these with my (nonexistent) fabrics.
Michelle BF
There are lots of quick projects I plan to use for gifts. And I finally have an idea for my "To Kill A Mockingbird" fabric I found.

The Practical Guide to Patchwork
The intro section in this book is fantastic -- not too stuffy or fussy the way some books **coughcoughhargrave** are. I was a smidgen less enamored with the patterns -- they are nice, just nothing must-make, and they include the dreaded "quilt as desired". Still, this would make a fantastic gift for a new quilter.
This book is perfect for someone who wants to learn how to quilt. I taught myself how to quilt, primarily by using the tutorials at the author's blog, Oh Fransson. There are several quilts in this book that I'm planning on making.

The book will also be fun and inspiring for experienced quilters too.
Jess
I liked the descriptions of techiniques in this book. Particularly the description of how to do the binding which is also discussed in this blogpost: http://skirtastop.wordpress.com/2011/.... However, I didn't get terribly excited about the patterns. But, as a technique book, this is great.
Erin
Apr 13, 2012 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sewing
Finally, with the help of this book I was able to properly figure out what was going on with my mitered corners on my quilt bindings. Hooray! I refer back to this one all the time when I have some kind of basic quilting question or when I've forgotten how to do something.
The author's blog gives better information on quilt-making basics (especially color theory), and she uses the exact same free motion quilting pattern on every single quilt! Compared to a book like Material Obsession, this one just isn't as beautiful or inventive.
Lisa
I desperately want to make a quilt. But am completely lacking in sewing/crafty skills. This book so far alternatively inspires and terrifies me! If I can work up the courage ��� and patience ��� I totally want to make one of these puppies. E.H. does beautiful work.
Tina
This is a visually appealing book. It provides a good, basic overview of quilting. It's not a book I would use often enough to own, but I'm glad to have it available in the library.

I find the Little Leaves pattern especially interesting.
Joan54
I really enjoyed this practical guide full of lots of helpful ideas.
I plan on referring to it again.
I like the quilt called snapshots on page 51.
I really like the unique ideas she has for the back of the quilt.
This is a book I should buy!
Jeannine
A colorful book with beautiful photographs. Great introduction to "modern" quilts, though I wasn't as excited by this book as the others I've recently read (Sew to Swap and Block Party). Still, a great reference book to have on hand.
Molly
A fabulous book from the always-wonderful Elizabeth Hartman! Great patterns in a range of difficulties that I know I will come back to time and time again. An excellent resource to have on your quilting bookshelf!
Candy
Over all, I think this quilt maker is too precise for me to be her follower. But I do love the Kitchen Window quilt and "Little Leaves". I'm just reading about quilting now, so I may end up being totally precise myself!
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Doodle Stitching: Fresh & Fun Embroidery for Beginners
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • The New Crewel: Exquisite Designs in Contemporary Embroidery
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the FunQuilts Studio
Modern Patchwork: 12 Quilts to Take You Beyond the Basics Patchwork City: 75 Innovative Blocks for the Modern Quilter 6 Sampler Quilts Patchwork City: 75 Innovative Blocks for the Modern Quilter • 6 Sampler Quilts