Start by marking “Deadly Appraisal” as Want to Read:
Deadly Appraisal

Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Josie Prescott is settling into her new life in New Hampshire. Her antiques business is thriving, she’s beginning to make some close friends, and her relationship with the local police chief is becoming more interesting. Not bad for someone who has completely uprooted her life as a New York City auction house expert in order to get a fresh start in a small New England town ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Appraisal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Appraisal

Carol
Mar 10, 2012 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: antique road show fans, cozy mystery fans
Recommended to Carol by: found it on my library's shelves
Shelves: fiction
I promised myself I'd try to read some of the lighter mysteries we have on our shelves in the library. First on my list was Deadly Appraisal by Jane K. Clealand. I love The Antique Road Show and am a junk picker at heart so thought this series featuring Josie Prescott, proprietor of an antique business would be right up my alley. I started with the second in the series cause I couldn't find the first but have got it now and hope to read it soon. I don't think I missed too much except the whole s ...more
Dorothy
Josie is still a decidedly weepy heroine in this second entry in the antiques mysteries series, but I didn't find it quite as annoying as in the first book of the series. She still cries at the drop of a hanky and she needs to just get over it already! Maybe she will in the third adventure which I plan to read next.

In this one, someone dies on the first page and then someone tries to kill Josie and someone steals a valuable Chinese tureen from her warehouse. Who that (or those) someone(s) is(are
Mark Baker
Josie Prescott is hoping that hosting a benefit auction fundraiser will help her antique business. But when someone is poisoned during the auction, Josie becomes involved in a second murder instead. Even worse, the police think she might have been the target. It took me a little while to get into the book, but the story was good and the characters are strong.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Christine
When a woman dies during a gala sponsored by antique dealer Josie Prescott & her company, the police are investigate to see if Josie was actually the intended victim. The only person Josie can think of who would hold a grudge is her former boss, who has just been released from prison. After Josie is nearly killed in a hit and run accident, she teams up with an investigative reporter to see if, in fact, someone is targeting her. And if so, why?

I was not a big fan of this book, I figured out “
Diane
Josie Prescott is back in the middle of a controversial murder investigation again.

She sponsors a Gala auction for a local charity at her auction house. Maisy Gaylor, a Guild representative dies right there on stage in front of the 100’s of people that are attending. Naturally everybody there thinks it has to be natural causes. There are no outward signs of injury or wrong-doing. The next day, however, the police come to cord off the entire area. It was no accident or natural causes. It was mur
Kathy Davie
Second in the Josie Prescott Mystery series revolving around Josie and her antique auction house in Rocky Point, New Hampshire.

My Take
Cleland does write a good story, I just wish she were a bit warmer and not such a drama queen. Nor do I like Josie all that much. Her "excuses" for investigating never ring true and that's Cleland's writing. I also hate how quickly Josie always jumps to the conclusion that one of her own employees is involved. Sure, it makes sense to wonder, but the cold, controll
Jen
Josie Prescott owns an antiques house in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It's a nice little business where she holds tag sales and auctions. And at the onset of Deadly Appraisal, she's hosting a charity auction for the Portsmouth Women's Guild Annual Black and Gold Gala. The Gala is a huge success until Maisy Gaylor, a Guild representative, dies after drinking poisoned wine.

But wait! The mystery is not simply who killed Maisy. It is much more complex than that. There is some question about whether Ma
Terri
Deadly Appraisal
by Jane Cleland

Deadly Appraisal is the second in the series by Jane K. Cleland that features the amateur sleuth Josie Prescott.

Josie runs an antique consignment shopl, and is quickly becoming known in the community. This offers up an opportunity to exploit her expertise when Maisy Gaylor of the Portsmouth Women’s Guild asks Josie to sponsor a charity dinner and antique auction. While anxiously awaiting for Maisy Gaylor to name the winner she ends up dead, someone has poisoned her
Patty
I still really like this series! Josie is a wonderful character, full of integrity and pride and compassion. Boyfriend Ty is out of town dealing with the failing health of his aunt so Josie is left pretty much on her own.

Josie is hosting a Gala for the Portsmouth Women's Guild when one of the organizers is killed. Josie is either the prime suspect, or the target. She is cooperating with the police but is also investigating with some help from reporter Max.

There is a lot of interesting clues and
Sarah Adamson
A fun cozy exploring the world of antiquing and murder. I really liked some parts of this book but also really wish that the lead character was stronger. I will keep reading the series but hope she finds a backbone. I love Max and really enjoyed the introduction of the neighbor Zoe. Hope to see more of her!
Pam
While I enjoyed the character development and initial story line of this book, the conclusion was abrupt and left many unanswered questions. As a result, the book fell flat at the end.
Sandra
The best thing about this book is that the heroine did not have to break 15 laws in order to discover the killer!
Alicia
Another Josie Prescott cozy mystery. The characters are starting to fill out, but although Josie is an astute antiques dealer (and the details surrounding her antiques business are really well done, informative and interesting to read), she sure is a weepy, woe is me type of gal. I hope that the author pulls her together for her future novels. The biggest problem I have with this book is that there are way too many red herrings and Josie is far too quick to jump to conclusions. These drawbacks a ...more
jackie
Fun, cozy mystery. Who poisoned the wine and stole the tureen?
Susan
Better than the first, easy read.
Nancy
Josie Prescott is an antiques appraiser who offered her business warehouse as a venue for a charity. At the charity event Maisy, who was in charge of the event, is poisoned and dies. Josie is a suspect in the murder. It turns out that Maisey was blackmailing Dora, who really wasn't Dora, but a con artist who had made lots of money conning people. Dora murdered Maisey and Josie was cleared. Book #2 in series.
Zoe
This was a little hard to get into - they get right into the action, but you don't really get to know the character until about halfway through the book, and she's a bit annoying, because she gives way too much info on her thoughts (breaks the "show-don't-tell" rule a bit). But the antiques were lots of fun to read about, as well as her antiques business - there, the author really knows her stuff.
Jan
The characters in this second book of this series are beginning to fill out more and the addition of Josie's new "landlady"/neighbor, Zoe, is a good one. Josie becomes more involved with the Chief of Police but I can't help being annoyed that Josie is still weeping at the drop of a hat and "are you okay?" should be elminated as the conversation starter. It's still a light, quick read.
Pat
I am enjoying this series very much. I am pleased with how interesting they are and how Jane manages to keep me on pins and needles till the very end!
Powerock
I gave it only 3 stars -- not because I did not enjoy it but because it is just well-done escape reading. A good who-done-it, a bit a la Mary Higgins Clark but with references to the antique dealer's world - familiar to the author. Also, no sex scenes. I always find this attempt to describe ludicrous.

Apologies for the grammar. In haste
A
Josie is trying to get on with her life after a tragedgy early in her career when at an auction gala someone dies after drinking wine, could it have been meant for her? I like how the author keeps the reader thinking who is the murderer. There were times I thought it was one person and turns out it wasn't. Good first time read from this author
Shauna
I am enjoying these Josie Prescott Antiques mysteries. Sometimes it's fun to abandon yourself to a good murder mystery. And these are decent ones: not too gory or gruesome, some actual mystery, some nice characters to get to know, and then the whole world of antiques as a backdrop. I'll certainly be checking out more of this series.
Kathleen
Reading the early books in this series continues to be fun especially to observe the characters develop. I am learning enough about the antique business to respect the work of collectors as art historians who are committed to preserving the history of artifacts as well as their beauty.
Connie Deeter
Again ! a cliff hanger ! Very tense in places. One thing that I love about Jane's writing is her ability with words to describe the New Hampshire area and the lushness of the mountains. She is a great author to listen to at her "meet and greet" in Raleigh NC.
Pammie
#2 in this series set on the coast near beautiful Portsmouth, NH. I may actually read #3--once again, the formula wasn't that simple to figure out and the characters weren't one-dimensional. Who knows, I may become a mystery fiction convert yet.
Rita Graham
This was a plot-driven book which unfolded very slowly. I would have liked a little more description of the antique business and the way it works. The mystery was dragged out and the main character not particularly interesting.
Mary
I didn't like this book as well as the first one in the series. Josie's remembering her father's advice came up too much in this one and got annoying. The mystery was good though, with several twists of focus.
Denise
Loving the antique / auction / tag theme. I didn't figure out who done it til the end so made for a good read. On to the next in the series!
I want to like it. I'll give the rest of the series a try eventually, but right now, I've got lots of more compelling stuff on my to-read list.
Kristine
Good light reading. I think I am drawn to these mysteries since they focus around an antiques dealer and I am such an avid antique junkie.
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • Skating Over the Line (Rebecca Robbins, #2)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
  • Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #2)
  • Dressed To Die (Lindsay Chamberlain, #3)
  • Hollywood Stuff (Jane Wheel, #5)
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • Shadows at the Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1)
  • Bran New Death (Merry Muffin Mystery, #1)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
  • A Grave Mistake
  • Murder Over Easy (Trailer Park Mystery , #2)
Jane K. Cleland’s multiple award-winning and IMBA best selling Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery series [St. Martin’s Minotaur] has been reviewed as an Antiques Roadshow for mystery fans. Library Journal named Consigned to Death a "core title" for librarians looking to build a cozy collection, one of only 22 titles listed, along with books by Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers. The full article i ...more
More about Jane K. Cleland...

Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (9 books)
  • Consigned to Death (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1)
  • Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott, #3)
  • Killer Keepsakes (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott, #6)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott #7)
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • Blood Rubies: A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #9)
Consigned to Death (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1) Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott, #3) Killer Keepsakes (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4) Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5) Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott, #6)