Start by marking “Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 2: Doom” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 2: Doom

Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 2: Doom (Coleccionable Ultimate #13)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,640 ratings  ·  35 reviews
After a bizarre experiment unexpectedly imbued them with extraordinary powers, high-school genius Reed Richards and his fellow adventurers must learn to adapt to their amazing new situation. But before they can even begin to get accustomed, former classmate Victor Van Damme - who was caught in the same experiment that gave the Fantastic Four their superhuman powers - retur ...more
Published November 5th 2008 by Marvel (first published December 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 2

More tardy Foursome Shallow Buddyreads!

Volume 2 picks up on the hunt for Victor Van Damme, and we discover that he's had to construct himself a suit of armour to cover his decaying body. He's based in a squatters area in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Before we get the first showdown before him and the Four, there's some other stuff to take care of...first off: Warren Ellis is writing!
He's got a different style than Bendis and Millar, less for the masses, a little more intelligent, but still highly enjoya
"I have locked you in your own bodies! You are my subjects now!"

Fantastic Four is a group I thought I'd never like. But I'm two volumes in and I want to read the entire run... Also: Doom is a badass beyond belief.

I liked pretty much everything about this. Sue and Johnny and Ben were crazy good on the fighting end, and Reed offered up his bigger than life brain at every turn. The artwork was super legit. The conflict was so real. I think I'm in love.

And DOOM! Not only does he have history with FF
Doom has always been the most well-known villain of Fantastic Four, so I was expecting a pretty special volume when I saw that this was centered around him. And it was pretty good, especially the last comic in this volume with its dark visuals and epic action.

The character design of Doom is more than menacing, making him the kind of guy you wouldn't want to encounter in a dark alley. Then again, you shouldn't be wondering around in a dark alley anyway. Idiot. Anyway, the design of Doom is pretty
Federiken Masters
De lo poco que leí hasta ahora del universo Ultimate de Marvel, lo único que me pareció buenísimo fue Ultimates, tanto el primer volumen como el segundo. En segundo puesto, aunque bastante lejos, vienen los Fantastic Four y su reversión industrializada y, por lo tanto, más coherente con lo que sería en realidad un grupo de supergenios con poderes. Y aunque este tomo lo escribe un Ellis menos inspirado que en otros laburos (y que sus antecesores), se encarga de narrar una buena historia del futur ...more
Manuel Alejandro
I think Warren Ellis doesn’t receive half of the praise that he deserves as a comic book writer. Don’t get me wrong, his work IS a pretty big deal, but I think based in how good his work has generally been and how much understanding he has of the medium you would think that he would be more recognized by the comic book fans.

Warren Ellis worked in the Ultimate Universe for a couple of years. I believe it was probably because he felt that there he could take advantage to write his classical weird
Mark Desrosiers
Unwitting hippie recently tattooed by Dr. Doom: "Wow, that stings like..."
Dr. Doom: "Don't touch it. The microfibers have to mate with your brain stem."

Here, our chipper quartet ends up defying the U.S. military in order to confront Dr. Doom and his gang of scruffy hippies in Copenhagen (?!). Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen perform their usual hilarious & gripping brain-stem mating here, so you won't be disappointed.

I read the first two volumes of Ultimate Fantastic Four as one combined hardcover volume (and as part of my current Warren Ellis binge).

I gotta say, Bendis, Kubert, and Ellis all did a great job writing an origin story about a team I'd never previously cared for but am now fascinated by. I hope the series continues to be as enjoyable.
Fun, but uneven read.
This story reminds us that stripped down to basics the FF is a pretty cool concept, Ellis seems to have toned down his 'I'm a cranky old bastard' enough to write good, straight forward versions of the four, while thinking about how their bodies have changed and what that means.

Wish Warren had toned down his attempts at writing 'cool youth slang' s well as making fun of parts of the FF mythos. That bit of meta 'nudge, nudge, you get it, Fantasti-car is pretty goofy' is distr
Matt Anderson
Collects Ultimate Fantastic Four issues #7-12

This was a natural follow up to Volume 1, but I felt less interested in this collection. I noticed that the writer changed from Volume 1 (Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Millar) to Volume 2 (Warren Ellis), so that probably made a big difference.

So far, I'm not a fan of the Ultimate Dr. Doom, although I do still like each of the characters in the Ultimate Fantastic Four.

I plan to read on in this series, but I feel less excited after reading Volume 2.
Edward Cheer
Definitely a great step in the right direction as the next set of issues for the decent opening The Fantastic provided. I absolutely enjoyed the characters and humor all the way towards the climax. Then I loved the story. Van Damme is handled so excellently as a villain, as someone who opposes the protagonists but also has some good within him. He was psychologically tortured by his father, and he surrounds himself by tons of people in his small nation trying to fill the hole in his heart, but h ...more
Jeff Raymond
I'll say this much - few comics have left me quite as conflicted as Ultimate Fantastic Four so far. I keep going back and forth between really enjoying it and rolling my eyes a lot, and a lot of it likely has to do with my significant enjoyment of the Future Foundation books. Hickman is good at this in a way that Bendis and Ellis are...different. Not worse, but different.

In this, we're continuing origin stuff a bit. That's the key point, and it's a lot of origin mixed with Doctor Doom, and the
Warren Ellis writes the fun run of Ultimate Fantastic Four. Here we get Reed's defiance when he knows he's right.

Johnny and Ben start their prank relationship. It's lots of fun. I love Immonen's art.
Another solid entry. I'm digging the subtle changes and I like how they are able to poke fun at some of the goofier elements of the Fantastic Four. I think it's working well.
Warren Ellis takes over the writing duties in Doom to introduce the Fantastic Four's greatest villain, Doctor Doom. The finale of the The Fantastic had them all wondering what had happened to Victor after the accident that turned them into superheroes but here we find out that he's been teleported to Denmark, grown a skin of metal and is insane. It's the insane part that really sets things up.

I really liked some of the dialogue in this volume. Especially the reveal of the fantasti-car. Ellis got
Es curioso lo mucho que se parece este comic a la ultima pelicula de los 4F, solo que un poco mejor.
Jul 14, 2009 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Not sure how I feel about this Doom yet. I like seeing Doom just beginning to start his empire. I don't think we've seen that before. But I am confused after seeing a different Doom in #6. I guess I'll have to read on to make the connection.

Still some odd references thrown in there to jar you into remembering they are younger. Kind of works, but still feels like its missing the mark. Well, I read on...
Hell yes, this one was a lot of fun. Continuing from where the first volume left off, we get to meet Fantastic Four's first new enemy: Dr. Doom. His origin tale is wonderfully told here, and the whole series is just fun fun fun. It's been so long since I've enjoyed comics this much. I had no idea this kind of superhero fun still existed. Be sure to pick up volume one first though, as that's a treat as well!
Another great issue. this issue sees the return of Victor Von Doom and the fledgeling friendship between Ben and Johnny, as well as the furtherance of the relationship between Sue and Reed. We get to learn a little more about the biology of three members of the team.

Some of the dialogue was fairly awkward, but mostly it was just a lot of fun to read :)
Colin Moon
Introducing a character like Doom easily and without pretense is pretty important and a pretty hard task, I imagine, but these guys handled it beautifully. Immomen is a fantastic addition to the style of the book, all crisp lines and smooth actions. Some of the best FF I've read in years.
Sean Brennan
I am still not sure if I like the idea of Reed Richards as a teenager because the combination of genius I.Q., scientific curiosity added to teenage hormones is a particulary heady brew. Richards certainly with that much military potential would never see sunlight again!

This isn't bad, but the problems I had with the Ultimate version of the FF just get worse as the series progresses. What makes the FF unique simply isn't here, and we're left with a perfectly fine superhero comic, but nothing special.
This volume explains the origin of Doom, as it says in the title. This one is a bit harder to swallow, plot-wise. The Fantastic Four development and delving into their background is still good. Looking forward to #3..
With this, Ellis gives some back story to Doom, but doesn't make him dangerous enough. The narrative is not as punchy as Ellis' average. To me, this could have been much better, but is still enjoyable.
Tara Calaby
The Doom-focused content was good in this one, but it's a little light on plot/action over-all, especially given that it's a trade and not just one comic! Still, the gorgeous art makes up for a lot.
Очень уважаю Уоррена Эллиса, но тут он как то... облажался. Хотя, говорят, он и раньше много "фальшивил".
А вот к Стюарту Иммонену и его колористу претензий нет. Сочно, красиво.
Awesome art. I really like this series--teenage versions of the Fantastic Four work better than the X-Men or some of the other characters getting the "ultimate" treatment.
A different take on Doom, espcially his childhood. The four are finally starting to work together and using their powers. This series does have potential.
It's Warren Ellis writing the FF. Need I say more? I did, and you can read my review here:
Zach Danielson
Ultimate Fantastic Four feels more like a Saturday morning cartoon than the other Ultimate books.
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 1: The Fantastic
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 5: Crossover
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 4: Inhuman
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 9: The Tempest
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

More about Warren Ellis...

Coleccionable Ultimate (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility
  • Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, Vol. 1
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 3: Double Trouble
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 1: The Fantastic
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 4: Legacy
  • Ultimate Spiderman: Encuentros extraños (Ultimate Spider-man #6, Coleccionable Ultimate, #12)
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)