The Portable Emerson

The Portable Emerson

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Ralph Waldo Emerson (May 25, 1803 - April 27, 1882) was an American essayist, poet, and leader of the Transcendentalist movement in the early nineteenth century.
ebook, Revised Edition, 670 pages
Published August 27th 1981 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Emerson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Emerson

Kate
I could - and maybe should - read "Self-Reliance" at least once every month. For me it's one of those texts that gives you a good slap on the face and forces you to really scrutinize your priorities. There are things I still have questions about (namely, his attitude towards charity) but that only adds to the richness of the text. Quite non-dual, too.
Wayne
Living in New York, you can lose touch with nature. Reading this on the subway in the mornings instead of AM new york or Metro, really helps one connect with something bigger than themselves even in a crowded, materialistic, adrenaliine driven city.
Gervaze
Well, this is the great Ralph Waldo Emerson. When one speaks of Emerson as regards words and thought, there comes the muse that herein lies the 'sentence.' Few if any realize that Emerson had attained what in some circles is coined "Cosmic Consciousness." His writings were among the most principled, spanning the periods of the 18th and 19th Centuries among the men and women of Letters of America and Britain -- and simply literary concerns generally, regardless of origin. One today relies so heav...more
David A. Beardsley
Despite efforts to reduce Emerson to an avuncular source of pithy quotes, his essays, when read in their fullness, still contain the power to move and inspire people today. He was deeply American, yet also aware of the tradition of Idealism, dating back to Plato and beyond, which shaped much of his thinking. His use of language takes some getting used to, since he was often writing at the edge of what is expressible in words, but when you have acquired a taste for him it's difficult to go back t...more
Theresa
How can a man who said and wrote so many lovely things also, somehow, be sooooo egregiously boring?

Seeing as how I am most certainly NOT a philosophy scholar, I think it would have been better for me to have half-assed it and read something closer to "Emerson's Greatest Hits." ...although I thought that's kind of what this was meant to be. Eh.
H.g. Callaway
This book is a collection of Emerson's essays and poems--perhaps the standard collection for the generl reader. For the scholar, it is often useful to quote this edition, since it is so widely available. Sound scholarship--though now a little older than the recent work in the current Emerson revival. The book has been frequently reprinted.
Dan Kelly
Self-reliance is one of a handful of essays and books I dig out and reread every couple of months, or whenever I'm feeling a bit adrift. It's about as close as I get to inspirational, but this has an edge to it.
Maggie Brown
Sep 10, 2009 Maggie Brown rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Maggie by: college class in transcendentalism
A major book for my 'deserted island' list. Dip into it every year since I discovered him in the 1960's and am always pleasantly surprised how much I learn.
Michael
Jan 31, 2011 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Michael by: My father
Perhaps one of the most quintessential American reads. I don't believe I will ever stop reading this book.
James Violand
A brilliant man, famous during his time. He should be revisited frequently.
Sara
Love this book, I always turn to the essay "self reliance" when I feel down.
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
semsma
semsma marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2014
Jey
Jey marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Carson
Carson added it
Aug 11, 2014
James C
James C marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Nik Kane
Nik Kane marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kylie Harris
Kylie Harris marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jacek Kubiczek
Jacek Kubiczek marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
J K
J K marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Gaston Browne
Gaston Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Yash Shah
Yash Shah is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
  • On the Advantage and Disadvantage of History for Life
  • Selected Poems
  • Life Stories: Profiles from The New Yorker
  • The Portable Walt Whitman
  • Mind: A Brief Introduction (Fundamentals of Philosophy)
  • A History of Philosophy 3: Ockham to Suarez
  • Questions About Angels
  • The Riverside Milton
  • The Accursed Share 1: Consumption
12080
in 1803, Ralph Waldo Emerson was born in Boston. Educated at Harvard and the Cambridge Divinity School, he became a Unitarian minister in 1826 at the Second Church Unitarian. The congregation, with Christian overtones, issued communion, something Emerson refused to do. "Really, it is beyond my comprehension," Emerson once said, when asked by a seminary professor whether he believed in God. (Quoted...more
More about Ralph Waldo Emerson...
Self-Reliance and Other Essays Essays and Poems Self-Reliance The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson Essays and Lectures

“Truly speaking, it is not instruction, but provocation, that I can receive from another soul. What he announces, I must find true in me, or reject; and on his word, or as his second, be he who he may, I can accept nothing.” 9 likes
“The selfish man suffers more from his selfishness than he from whom that selfishness withholds some important benefit.” 2 likes