Start by marking “Delilah” as Want to Read:
Delilah

Delilah

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Given to the temple of Atargatis as a child, Delilah is raised to be a priestess to the Five Cities that rule Canaan.She grows up under the watchful eyes of high priestess Derceto, who sees her as a valuable pawn in her political agenda. Meanwhile, in the hills of Canaan, the Israelites choose Samson to leadtheir fight against the Five Cities.When he catches a glimpse of D ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Picador (first published November 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Delilah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delilah

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowNefertiti by Michelle Moran
Awesome Women of the Ancient World
96th out of 255 books — 634 voters
The Red Tent by Anita DiamantThe Dovekeepers by Alice HoffmanSarah by Marek HalterHavah by Tosca LeeEve by Elissa Elliott
Best Biblical Heroines - Fiction
40th out of 40 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
May 25, 2010 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
This novel is not a re-telling of the story of Samson, but a complete overhaul of the familiar story - a re-imagining if you will. The bible doesn't tell us much about Samson's wife, or even Delilah (except that she was beautiful, Samson's love, of the Valley of Sorek and one heck of a nag), so a lot is left to the imagination.

Even though she is barely mentioned in the bible, Delilah is almost synonymous with the ultimate vixen but in this book she is re-imagined as a priestess who loves to dan
Linda
Nov 09, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the author's other biblical revisions,Queenmaker and Wisdom's Daughter, which are almost as good as Anita Diamant's The Red Tent. The first two thirds of this book present an interesting portrait of women's position in pagan society, with well-drawn male and female characters. Somewhere along, though, it jumped the shark. The whole "let's get even with the Philistines" plot made very little sense to me. While I can accept that there is much more going on behind the Biblical story, this ...more
Amber French
Nov 25, 2010 Amber French rated it really liked it
Delilah was given to the Temple of Atargatis when only a small girl. She was raised to be a priestess and had the ability to dance like only few others. It was said that Delilah not only was able to perform the ritual dances but was the dance itself. When she moved to the music she became lost in it, bringing great monetary offerings to the Temple. When she was ten, another girl was brought to the Temple. Her name was Aylah and Delilah came to love her like a sister.

When Samson happens upon the
Michelle
I have been waiting for this book for several years!!! And thanks to someone visiting my blog and able to see how they got there (thru Feedjit) I was able to find out that this book will come out May 1 of 2009!!! I cannot wait. I love India Edghill's books!

If you like Anita Diamant's The Red Tent, you will love Edghill's books! Request them at your library and/or bookstore...(I did, so they would have them in stock, but I live in a semi-illiterate area and you have to knock some people upside t
Jacki
Jul 19, 2010 Jacki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Edghill sweeps me away in an epic story of love and loss. Based on the tiniest of sections in Judges, Delilah tells the story of the biblical characters of Delilah and Samson. As seen through the eyes of a woman, and a pagan, the story comes to life as it never could in the Bible. As well as telling the other side, so often left out by the victors, the reader comes to see how deception and hatred can shape not only the lives of two innocent people, but of entire nations.

This story, l
Thalia
Apr 17, 2011 Thalia rated it it was ok
Shelves: biblical-fiction
I was really looking forward to this story. I'm sure you're familiar the biblical story. It has so much of what makes a fanatastic story. Well....the author was creative in her twist of the story, I'll give her that...but that's what saved her. I thought the characters were so-so, the ability to set a scene and educate a reader as to a culture was woofully inadequete. Where they any differenet than today? What's all this about the goddess and how was that different than Samsom's people? Part of ...more
Hannah
May 01, 2010 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it is no "As a Driven Leaf" in regards to assimilating into the Greco-Roman cultures, "Delilah" was a very good interpretation of the Biblical story of Samson from the different tribe's point of view. Instead of portraying Delilah as the ultimate Biblical female villain, Edghill depicts her as a devout priestess who falls in love with Samson and gives up her prior beliefs for him. Even though I expected her betrayal to the Temple much earlier in the novel, this book was overall wonderfu ...more
Judy Chessin
Jan 08, 2010 Judy Chessin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! As usual Edghill takes a Biblical story, turns it, and turns it again. She finds amazing intriguing reads, I never would have dreamed of, but they make greater sense than what tradition holds! I love how this author's mind works! I didn't give this 5 stars, because I could put this book down, it didn't hold me quite as much as her other two Michal books. But, I can't wait to see what she does next!!! anyone who likes Israelite history will LOVE her writing and imagination.
Sara Poole
Jan 14, 2010 Sara Poole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing short of spellbinding, this retelling of the classic tale of Samson and Delilah at once upends the traditional story while immensely enriching and deepening it. Edghill beautifully captures the clash of ancient kingdoms through what is at heart a timeless story of friendship and love. Delilah speaks to us across the chasm of time in a vividly compelling voice that makes her narrative at once utterly believable and deeply moving.
Edith
Mar 23, 2010 Edith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A different perspective to the classic Samsom and Delilah tale.
Deborah Pickstone
I started this and lost interest/couldn't read on - well, I am really not sure what was going on - a bad hair day, perhaps? Then I read Game of Queens: A Novel of Vashti and Esther and loved it. So, I read every other book India Edghill had written and loved them. So, I went back and, with a bit of grim determination, determined to read to the end and find out if my original response was fair.

Gentle reader, I done her wrong. I wouldn't say this book was up to the standard of Game of Queens: A No
Holly P
Mar 22, 2011 Holly P rated it really liked it
As a young girl, Delilah was given over to the temple of Atargatis to be trained in the ways of a priestess. Shortly after arriving she meets Aylah, another "new moon" and discovers her true calling: dancing. Together she and her "heart-sister" Aylah are trained to be the best dancers in the temple-Delilah as the moon with her dark complexion and raven black hair and Aylah as the sun with her creamy skin and blonde hair. Soon they are the most in demand dancers in all of the Five Cities. The lea ...more
Michelle
Maam
Nov 22, 2010 Maam rated it really liked it
Cynthia
Jan 16, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I won this advanced readers copy in the Goodreads First Reads giveaway program back in November. With life intervening, I have only recently been able to indulge my reading tooth. So my first completed book of 2011 is Delilah by India Edghill... and I think I will be hard pressed to find another book so compellingly good.

We've all heard and/or read about the tale of Samson and Delilah. Samson, beloved of God, warrior of supernatural strength. Delilah, beautiful deceiver, treachery incarnate, e
Pretty Nurse

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Retelling the biblical story of Samson and Delilah I had high hopes that were not met with this story.

Delilah was just annoying to me and didn't have much depth. I would have liked to know more about the temple's training of the girls besides just pages and pages of dancing.

Samson was too naive and trusting at first but at one point did the honorable thing when he was tricked the first time.

The most interesting character to me was Delilah's best
Susan Stumpf
Apr 27, 2016 Susan Stumpf rated it it was amazing
I loved how this book took facts and added other possibilities to them. It really made you think about how this story was played out & could have very well happened the way the writer had depicted it. Great story, well told. Loved it!
Gaile
There are many surprises in this novel. The plot is very absorbing with politics, schemes, women moved as pawns on a board and Samson turning out to be far different than depicted in the Bible.
I loved it!
Milena
Nov 30, 2010 Milena rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from Picador as a first read.
It is interesting and unusual take on the story of Samson and Delilah. The book is beautifully written, the characters are well-drawn and fascinating. Even the secondary characters are well developed. The historical details are rich and authentic.
I personally really enjoyed author's interpretation of this Biblical story, but it is not very true to the original source. Delilah is not the ultimate villainess and Samson is not the supernatural hero
N.L. Riviezzo
An interesting re-telling of a classic Biblical story but personally, I prefer the original. The story jumped around a lot through perspectives which was very jarring to read and frequently lost my attention. This lost of attention made it very challenging to feel anything for the characters or the story as a whole. The pacing was strange. At times, there would be a major "information/event dump" then it would drag on and on. The pacing made the story even more jarring to read. I really did not ...more
Carol
Nov 12, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Very clever, innovative and credible reinterpretation of this biblical story. Characters well limned, dialogue hits the right note and well-paced.
Cheryl
Dec 21, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a giveaway from Goodreads, and I enjoyed it very much! The author takes the framework of the Sampson and Delilah story from the Bible, and adds layers to it, fleshing it out and giving it rich detail. The author uses her imagination to tell us her version of the Biblical story and tries to answer the questions and contradictions she felt arose from the actual story. I loved the details and the imagination in this book, and I really liked reading about the historical setti ...more
Suzanne
Nov 07, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. India Edghill is brilliant. She took a familiar Old Testament story and wove a delightful tale of the other side of the story. Maybe wasn't as ruthless as she is portrayed or maybe there was another side to the story in Judges. She is a character in which we get just a glimpse of in the Bible but there could have been much more to her. I really enjoyed this and will definitely be looking into Edghill's other books. Nicely written!!!!
Ave Hernandez
Jan 20, 2016 Ave Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this spin off of the story Samson and Delilah..
Paula Hebert
so th author finds a short story in the bible and says "maybe it happened like this....." since there are few facts about a time in history so remote, you can make it up as you go along, I guess. It's not a horrible book, a little too flowery in its prose for me personally, and a borderline bodice ripper, so I was not impressed. I certainly wouldn't read anything else by this author.
Kati
Oct 02, 2011 Kati rated it liked it
Probably closer to 3.5 stars. The book started out a bit slow for me, but picked up near the middle.

A take on the Samson & Delilah myth, from a "historical" view rather than a biblical one. My only previous knowledge of the story (besides the basics that everyone knows) came from a cheaply animated version I watched in Sunday school in the late 80s... this was much better :).
Q
Oct 15, 2012 Q rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It gave a very interest extention of the original as to what may have been possible to have happened. But really it was a wonderful story I read just as I would have any other book. I was so into the book I had it in my hand anytime I got the chance for even just a page or two. I love it and thought it to be one to reread again and again.
Amanda Mcnarland
Feb 19, 2011 Amanda Mcnarland rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book I had a hard time getting into it. But once I did I couldnt put it down. I would say this is a good read. To me the end was heartbreaking I was hoping for a happy ever after but I have to say the ending wasnt bad. Delilah and Samson's relationship was one of my favorite things about the book. But overall it was a great book.
Vanessa
Dec 25, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it
After completing this book, I'm glad I was lucky enough to win it off of Goodreads Giveaways. It has an interesting approach of multiple characters' perspectives and adds a twist to the classical bible story. Having a liking for these types of biblical hist-fics, I would most certainly rec. it as a read to those who have an appreciation for them as well.
Cereus
Feb 21, 2016 Cereus rated it really liked it
So it was a bit draggy in parts, but not so much that I wanted to let it go. Definitely a good successor to The Red Tent, and a very cool historically probably more accurate portrayal of Delilah than you would normally get. A+ for the feminist bent, ridiculously well written prose, and the lack of "thee" and "thou" (thank GOD).
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Jezebel
  • Reluctant Queen
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • Lilah (Canaan, #3)
  • Mary Magdalene
  • Eve
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • Salome
  • Esther
  • Been Here a Thousand Years
A reference librarian by profession, India Edghill's interest in history is long-standing; her father was a major history buff whose favorite authors were Will & Ariel Durant. India inherited his love of research and history. Her favorite areas are the Ancient Near East, Victorian England, and India at any period. India lives in upstate New York, USA, with a comfort of spaniels, a lounge of ca ...more
More about India Edghill...