Start by marking “Jamie's Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Jamie's Kitchen

Jamie's Kitchen

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  3,243 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Jamie's Kitchen--the television show--began as an experiment and turned into a phenomenon. It started when Jamie took in 15 unemployed, enthusiastic kids, trained them to be chefs, and helped them open a restaurant, Fifteen, that has become the hottest dining spot in London. When England's Channel 4 launched a tie-in series, more than four million people tuned in. The show...more
Published October 8th 2003 by Hyperion (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jamie's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jamie's Kitchen

Terri
I have used and relied on this book a lot, but I had to give it 3 stars because I have had some real problems with the recipes in this book. Too much sugar, not working out etc etc.. I am not sure why, but I find this happens a bit with Oliver's recipes.
Aniesa
I actually really like this cookbook! I have already made 3 things -- and all of the recipes turned out great, even though he calls for ambiguous quantities such as "a wineglass full of brandy."
Mike Miller
anther present from my wife, well written and the recipes are easy to use. a fun read
Wendi Mattson
Really like Jamie oliver. Always entertaining. Great recipes and easy to follow with good descriptions.
Theresa Stevens
When Jamie Oliver's cooking TV series came to NZ, they were a pleasure to watch. He made cooking a pleasure and no great trouble, just ease and passion. I have purchased a number of his books. This one I read in 2002... his 'Soft boiled egg with asparagus on toast' was and still is a special occasion favourite. Don't get me started on his 'Baking and Sweet Things'section - yum! A great coffee table book with beautiful and colourful pictures together with his quaint talking prose.... a great book...more
Robin-Elise Call
I am really impressed by the beauty and usefulness of this book. It really reminds you that food is art, and that the lay person is capable of making truly amazing dishes for himself. The recipes are clear and simple, the photos really highlight the ingredients, and there are wonderful tips for newbies. I got this one from the library (renewed 3 times), so it's gotta go back, but I really would like to own it one day, and give it as a gift to everyone I know.
Cailean
I think what is most appealing about Jamie Oliver is the super laid-back approach he takes to the culinary arts. His recipes are almost an anti-recipe because he often doesn't give exact measurements, instead encouraging his readers to trust their instincts and not be afraid to "fail." I especially loved his bread recipe, deconstructing what is often thought of as a difficult or mysterious process and instead making it seem "do-able."
Conrad
Just fantastic recipes, and photography that's even better. He includes a lot of shortcuts and tricks that make tough recipes a little easier. I like Oliver's down-to-earth attitude, his crappy, age-old roasting pans, his sense of humor, his many references to bar food, his tributes to his wife, and his rather unabashed alcoholism. The braised leek recipe in particular is simple and perfect.
Stacy
This isn't my favorite of Oliver's cookbooks, but it's still lovely to look upon. The book is organized by cooking method, almost like a culinary school instruction manual. The recipes are fittingly geared more towards restaurant fare, with an emphasis on very British-y food like celeriac and monkfish and other things that will sound exotic to Americans.
Troy Vistro
Got it as a gift. Liked this one better especially with the background on opening 15. I have found that most cookbooks I have read are most valuable as a point of departure for me. They give me ideas for new things to introduce into my own recipes. I might only make one meal from a particular cookbook but it will spawn many new personal recipes.
Peter
Although this is a great visual experiance, the recipes' themselves fall short of what I have come to expect of Jamie. They are very restaraunt- style, and do not have the same vim that the others have. All the same, is gives some goos ideas for anyone running a restaraunt, though I wouldn't reccomend it to home cooks.
Kerry Kenney
I have not tried any of these recipes but the book is marketed as a "cooking course". After paging through it, I don't see how it is a cooking course but I will give it a try. He uses many unfamiliar ingredients and some of his recipes look a bit exotic. Aside from that, the recipes seem uncomplicated.
Ambar
Jamie is fantastic character. I love his simple and easy cooking. Italian style which rich of natural ingredients straight from the market or garden. I followed his career from single young lad in London into family man who fought for children better food program.
Kathy Juveli Hauck
Love the beauty of this book. If I never make one recipe from it, I'm still thrilled to have it on my shelves just so I can pull it out whenever I want and sip a glass of wine while browsing through it.
Emily
I'm sure it's a perfectly fine cookbook, if you happen to use or keep on hand or like some basic ingredients that I don't use or generally keep on hand (like lamb). Not keeping this one.
Sareena
Jamie's recipes are fantastic, and he never disappoints. Beware though, if he says quick and easy. I have found sometimes he thinks 2 and a half hours for dinner is quick.
France
J'adore la cuisine de Jamie Oliver autant que le personnage! J'aime particulièrement ce livre de recettes pour ses images et ses recettes fraîches et simples.
Lisa Isselée
Always delicious recipes, and non deceiving pictures; it shows the food in a 'I could have made this' way.
Success guaranteed with this book.
Elizabeth
Great illustrations, despite the fact that I wasn't able to actually bone a chicken. I blame my own wussiness.
Michelle Diener
I love this book and use it all the time. My favorite recipe is the prawn and courgette salad. Yum!
Anna
This has the best 2 pages of salad dressings, not to mention wonderful recipes.
Kecia
I wish this had more veggie recipes. But anything Jamie writes is going to be great!
Giligadi
The sole with polenta recipe is brilliant, as is Dark Sticky Stew. NOM!
Catherine Woodman
This is his best cookbook up until his 'how to cook' book that came out in 2007
Nelly Paulina
salmon with the vegetable broth and aioli is our favorite
Tessa
Jamie is so excited about food. I can't argue with him.
Natalie Olsen
Don't use this one as much as Jamie's Italy
Ansley
Beautiful food photography. Great recipes.
Angela Aroozoo
Good for beginners and for some ideas.
Donna Brown
First of many books I enjoyed of his
  • Forever Summer
  • Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • Nigel Slater's Real Food
  • Gordon Ramsay's Fast Food: Recipes from the F Word. with Mark Sargeant and Emily Quah
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook
  • Mexico One Plate At A Time
  • The Cook's Companion
  • Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen
  • Delia's Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian

James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, sometimes known as The Naked Chef, is an English chef and media personality well known for his growing list of food-focused television shows, his more recent roles in campaigning against the use of processed foods in national schools, and his ca...more
More about Jamie Oliver...
Cook with Jamie Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals Jamie's Italy Happy Days With The Naked Chef