Death of a Macho Man (Hamish Macbeth, #12)

Death of a Macho Man (Hamish Macbeth #12)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,578 ratings  ·  100 reviews
When Hamish Macbeth, local constable of the Scottish village of Lochdubh, tries to break up one of the many fights involving Randy Duggan, a.k.a. Macho Man, the furious Duggan challenges him to a public fistfight. But the fight is not ot be, for on the chosen day, Duggan is found shot to death and Macbeth is rumored to be the likely suspect.
Published March 6th 2001 by The Mysterious Press (first published 1996)

Ivonne Rovira
Aug 11, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only diehard Hamish fans
M.C. Beaton's 12th installment in her uneven Hamish Macbeth series finds the lanky, lazy Highlands constable dealing with Randy Duggan, a boastful incomer from Glasgow who begins bullying those who’ve grown tired of his narcissistic and farfetched monologues. Eventually, Duggan challenges Hamish to a boxing match at midnight with villagers as audience. When Duggan turns up dead just hours before, the entire village of Lochdubh is thrown into a tizzy.

Death of a Macho Man should have been titled D...more
Kathy
this is a really fun series - light, quick, and addictive. The stories are set in a small village in the Scottish Highlands, and Beaton writes so that you can hear lilting dialect. I thought the plot in this one was particularly good, with enough twists to be interesting. Most of the fun comes from the cast of memorable villagers who alternately harass and rally around the lead character, local constable Hamish MacBeth.
CGregory
I read this one pretty fast. A short book and a quick read. I loved it. It seemed a fun read. Can I say that about a murder story? Hm, let me just say it like this: It felt like a more personal story than anything; as if a long distance friend's in town for a visit telling you about the latest goings on, the big incident, in his home town or something. It held my attention in long blast; I read an average of 40 pages in each reading sessions... that's a lot for me.

The characters, though there we...more
Jenn
This installment in the Hamish Macbeth series is definitely one of my favorites so far (despite the fact that every time I picked it up I had the Village People blaring in my head!). I kept thinking - I need to go to the Highlands and see if there is another charming, red-headed, hazel-eyed, clever constable living in a lovely and stormy little village and marry him! I really liked this one, because of the suspicion cast on characters who have been in the village and we have encountered before,...more
C.J. Prince
Hamish Macbeth #12

There is something so reassuring about this lanky, laid back Scotsman that pulls me right into book number twelve, which give you a clue. I'm hooked.

M.C. Beaton amps up the plot in "Death of a Macho Man." We know who will die as soon as we figure out who is macho. Excessively macho. A relative newcomer to Lochdub, the macho man flashes money, buys all the men drinks, and insults everyone. Many have been heard to say, I'd like to kill him.

Even Hamish is scheduled for a fight wit...more
Chana
I was a little bored by it as I have become bored with the formula. I've read 3 or 4 of this series and enjoyed them all, but I am finding that the general outline isn't changing enough to keep it interesting. Light mystery reading with Highland charm. This was my least liked of the series so far.
Kate
"... Now 'one of the warmest and quirkiest mystery series around' pits Constable Macbeth against a belligerent newcomer to Lochdubh, a bully flaiming to be a professional wrestler, who soon finds himself KO'd into the next world ...

"Everybody in Lochdubh knew about the pro who dubbed himself the Macho Man. The huge, tattooed, mean-looking stranger won a willing audience for his bragging and tall tales by buying round after round at the local pub. But his nasty insults led to some vicious fights....more
Ice Bear
Hamish gets himself entangled once again, steers an unorthodox route to solving this particular crime which once again involves travelling outside his beloved highlands. Well paced light crime novel with a wry smile and a wee dram.
Carole
Hamish Macbeth, constable of an area of northern Scotland centering in the village of Lochdubh, has his hands full with two murders in town. His superiors in Strathbane are as usual trying to find a reason to fire him, so in addition to looking for a murderer or two, he has to outwit them.

He is the one who actually solves all the murders that come his way which makes his superiors look bad unless they take credit for solving the crimes, which they often do. Thus, his superiors are constantly tr...more
Ellie
Death of a Macho Man by M.C. Beaton is my 5th or 6th read in the series. The book has all the elements I love: the Scottish village of Lochdubh and its familiar inhabitants, the adorable detective Hamish Macbeth, his former love, the elegant Priscilla, Hamish's enemy Superintendent Blair. I enjoyed it all and the plot was more interesting than many of the others. There are also a couple of moments that are too priceless to describe here. They have to be read to be enjoyed and it would spoil the...more
Jerry
We're very fond of this low-key series about a northern Scotland village policed by their wily but unambitious constable Hamish Macbeth. Most of the novels follow a pattern of a murder in town, often a newcomer or outsider, and the ensuing investigation, which usually revolves around Macbeth's common sense prevailing over the bullying tactics of his superiors. In "Macho", a newcomer who buys everybody drinks and tells tall tales is found shot to death, and soon thereafter, a single woman who has...more
Andreasoldier
Kathy
Hamish Macbeth, a small Scottish village constable, uses his quiet, personable manner to maintain peace in Lochduhh, but his unregulatory policing style moves him into trouble with his higher ups. That same style, however, propells him into complicated affairs of murder and robbery beyond his small home town before he finds home again.

The audio book adds to this light-hearted novel with rich Scottish and English accents making this a fun book to hear.
Shuriu
Hamish stretched his long legs and put down Rosie's book with a sigh. The plot had been simple. Viscount finds girl, viscount lose girl, viscount finds girl. There was nothing in it to betray anything about Rosie's character. It was written in a mannered style, competent, literate and strangely lifeless. Hamish, on the occasions when he had been trapped in Highland hotels and boarding-houses, had, during the course of reading anything to hand, read several romances. Some were badly written but t...more
Gerry
Carsley (Agatha Raisin) and Lachdubh (Hamish Macbeth) must be awful places to live, or more appropriately, to die! There is always murder taking place in both locations and in 'Death of a Macho Man', it is no different.

A loud-mouthed, supposedly American, is killed early on and then as Hamish Macbeth attempts to discover the murderer, albeit handicapped by his chiefs from Strathblane, another, seemingly unconnected murder takes place.

After much investigation, with plenty of suspects in evidence,...more
Pam
12/02/07
TITLE/AUTHOR: DEATH OF A MACHO Man by M.C. Beaton
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/1996/314 LP pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #12 in Hamish Macbeth series
TIME/PLACE: 1990's Lochdubh, Scotland
CHARACTERS: Hamish Macbeth/police constable
FIRST LINES: Randy Duggan was called the Macho Man in the village of Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands & he seemed to live up to his nickname.

COMMENTS: library book. Another fine entry in the Hamish Macbeth series! There's a newcomer who is domina...more
Anne Hawn Smith
I've been listening to this series on audiobooks I downloaded from the St. John's Library and have enjoyed them thoroughly. The reader's accent adds to the scenes created by the author and it saves me trying to figure out how some of the Scottish names are pronounced. It also gives me a better picture of Hamish Macbeth. While I have enjoyed the BBC version of the stories, their Hamish is a far cry from the descriptions in the books.

Macho Man is on par with the rest of M. C. Beaton's book. The ch...more
Diane Heath
This is a typical Hamish Macbeth mystery in that when one man confesses to the two murders in Lochdubh, Blair takes credit for solving the cases but Hamish is convinced that one of the confessions is false. Hamish is told to take time off so he goes to Glasgow to investigate.
Devaleena
I like my British (in this case, Scottish) cozy murder mysteries but I think I reached my limit on this series. The characters are paper thin and there's only so many times I can read the same descriptions for each of them. The stories often have similar elements, such as several characters who yell "I could kill you" to the murder victim (I don't know how many people actually yell that in real life), female character(s) who get abused or are in abusive relationships (a little odd for a "cozy my...more
Dolly
Jan 14, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I have enjoyed reading M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series and this was an entertaining story. It's a quick read and follows the fairly typical plot for this series. I think I enjoy reading about the characters as much as I do the mystery itself and I like seeing how Macbeth interacts with the villagers, especially Priscilla. I am looking forward to the next story in the series, Death of a Dentist.

new words: chiel, curlew, soughed
Dj
Ever wonder what it would be like if the Macho Man Randy Savage was a Scotsman? Nope. Me either, but in this book that is almost what you get and it leads to mad cap detective pursuits to keep things from getting out of hand. Once again poor Hamish is caught up in a Murder Mystery in his sleepy little village and again he is one of the prime suspects at the start of it all.

There are so many suspects that narrowing the field to who might really have done it is a major challenge and he is forced...more
Linda Davis
It was just what I expected and wanted. I always enjoy a book in this series for a light, quick read.
Lynn Grundset
I wrote in July of 2000, "It will be hard for Ms. Beaton to top this installment of Hamish Macbeth. To date, this has been the best paced, had more diverse suspects, had more plot twists and intrigue and also left me rooting for Hamish and Priscilla. I have thus far only 'read' the installments available on audio. I do want to go back someday and read the ones I've missed. Very interesting that the word "macho" is pronounced completely different with the "a" sound like the "a" in "match". Those...more
Gary
The Macbeth books are always fun.
Becca
I can't seem to read these in order to save my life for some reason, but fortunately, there's not too much that keeps them from being standalone books. Mostly just a bit of backstory involving Hamish's love life, which isn't the predominant focus of the story.

If you are a hardcore detective story fanatic that wants a long drawn out Sherlock Holmes type story, you're bound to be a bit disappointed. If you're looking for a quick, fun read that might even surprise you in the end, then this is the s...more
Jane
This was my introduction to M.C. Beaton and Hamish Macbeth. The title hooked me, so silly. I've been working since then to gradually read every "Death of a..." book and there are plenty. They're little books. There's the murder that is seldom easy to figure out. There are dependable, quirky village residents you get to know. Yes, it might be formula. Hamish is a crime solving genius. But it's the consistent theme of his contentment with his life that make these such a comfort.
Donna
WOW! This one took all sorts of turns! A bit more action in this one! Would have made a good TV program... maybe it is (although I don't like the blood and gore, but at least when I read about it, I don't have to 'see it' unless I choose to envision it... which I don't. However, I did dream the other night I was walking around headless... maybe I'm reading too much about death! lol BUT these books are so much more than death and that's why I like them so!
Kristi
Another fun Hamish Macbeth outing. With another murder in his village of Lochdubh, and his superior Blair eager to pin the murder on Hamish, he must get to the bottom of things himself. The Hamish Macbeth series has become one of my favorites. I have read the series completely out of order, reading the new ones when they are released, and picking up the older ones in whatever order I find them in. This was a delightful read, as always.
Jessica
Dear Priscilla,

If you are not dating Hamish, and he has dinner with another woman, he is not cheating on you, and you cannot call him a philanderer. Untwist your knickers.

That said, this was quite the mystery, with half the village (including Hamish) under suspicion, multiple murders, stolen identity, disguises, hostages, and sexy, sexy underwear.

Y'heard me.
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Hasty Death
  • Trouble In The Town Hall (Dorothy Martin, #2)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis...more
More about M.C. Beaton...
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)