Start by marking “Death of a Macho Man (Hamish Macbeth, #12)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Macho Man (Hamish Macbeth, #12)

Death of a Macho Man (Hamish Macbeth #12)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  2,699 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Hamish Macbeth, constable for Scottish Highland Lochdubh, tries to break up one of the many fights incited by Randy Duggan. The bully claims to be well-traveled wrestler Macho Man, challenges Hamish to a public bout. Most villagers bet on Randy. But on the chosen day, Randy is found shot to death and Macbeth is the top suspect.
Published March 6th 2001 by Mysterious Press Time Warner (first published June 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Macho Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Macho Man

Ivonne Rovira
Aug 09, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only diehard Hamish fans
M.C. Beaton's 12th installment in her uneven Hamish Macbeth series finds the lanky, lazy Highlands constable dealing with Randy Duggan, a boastful incomer from Glasgow who begins bullying those who’ve grown tired of his narcissistic and farfetched monologues. Eventually, Duggan challenges Hamish to a boxing match at midnight with villagers as audience. When Duggan turns up dead just hours before, the entire village of Lochdubh is thrown into a tizzy.

Death of a Macho Man should have been titled D
Kathy
Nov 21, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
this is a really fun series - light, quick, and addictive. The stories are set in a small village in the Scottish Highlands, and Beaton writes so that you can hear lilting dialect. I thought the plot in this one was particularly good, with enough twists to be interesting. Most of the fun comes from the cast of memorable villagers who alternately harass and rally around the lead character, local constable Hamish MacBeth.
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2015 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Justice rules over law. Author Chesney always makes me smile. So far, whatever she writes, I read, catching up on series re-reads, starting from beginning. Can I read and review faster that Chesney can write?

"It took guts not to kill Randy" p 98. No matter Hamish or Agatha Raisin series, author Chesney likes to make the victim a villain. That makes the back story a mystery we cannot possibly guess. Reminds me of TV Motive that starts with crime, then parallel histories of two unlikely far-apart
CGregory
Aug 13, 2013 CGregory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this one pretty fast. A short book and a quick read. I loved it. It seemed a fun read. Can I say that about a murder story? Hm, let me just say it like this: It felt like a more personal story than anything; as if a long distance friend's in town for a visit telling you about the latest goings on, the big incident, in his home town or something. It held my attention in long blast; I read an average of 40 pages in each reading sessions... that's a lot for me.

The characters, though there we
The Flooze
May 18, 2016 The Flooze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What started off as another round of interrogate the villagers suddenly became terribly exciting.

The murder of a local braggart brings everyone's bad behaviour to light - including Hamish's. For a quiet spot where everyone is as gossipy as can be, it turns out that there are still plenty of secrets kept in Lochdubh. Hamish is not as in-the-know as he likes to think.

Though he still has an odd reputation as the laziest copper ever, Hamish goes to great lengths in this volume to discover the trut
Jenn
Aug 27, 2009 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This installment in the Hamish Macbeth series is definitely one of my favorites so far (despite the fact that every time I picked it up I had the Village People blaring in my head!). I kept thinking - I need to go to the Highlands and see if there is another charming, red-headed, hazel-eyed, clever constable living in a lovely and stormy little village and marry him! I really liked this one, because of the suspicion cast on characters who have been in the village and we have encountered before, ...more
Kelsey Hanson
This series is starting to peter out for me. It's becoming exhausting watching Priscilla and Hamish spend so much time bickering. This book did have a bit more action which was interesting, but there are certain elements of the series that are starting to get a bit old, especially the Hamish/Priscilla affair and the fact that the villagers are the most fickle characters I've ever seen. The mystery itself is okay, but it keeps getting bogged down by the side stories.
Chana
Mar 12, 2009 Chana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-lite
I was a little bored by it as I have become bored with the formula. I've read 3 or 4 of this series and enjoyed them all, but I am finding that the general outline isn't changing enough to keep it interesting. Light mystery reading with Highland charm. This was my least liked of the series so far.
Jessica
Aug 26, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Dear Priscilla,

If you are not dating Hamish, and he has dinner with another woman, he is not cheating on you, and you cannot call him a philanderer. Untwist your knickers.

That said, this was quite the mystery, with half the village (including Hamish) under suspicion, multiple murders, stolen identity, disguises, hostages, and sexy, sexy underwear.

Y'heard me.
Selah (abibliophilesstyle)
Rounded up from 3-1/2 stars. It's nice to have Hamish front and center, and Shaun Grindell's narration continues to delight! This story was a bit too convoluted - not that it was hard to follow - just that Beaton seems to have dumped everything into one book.
Ice Bear
Nov 25, 2011 Ice Bear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamish gets himself entangled once again, steers an unorthodox route to solving this particular crime which once again involves travelling outside his beloved highlands. Well paced light crime novel with a wry smile and a wee dram.
Badseedgirl
In this episode, Hamish is the prime suspect in another murder in his town. He is forced to go undercover to prove his innocence. And Pricilla's choice in men sure is getting questionable.
Miss Rebecca Coleman
This series continues to get better!

Hamish carries on being a lovable yet sometimes frustrating copper, this book retaining its captive attraction to the reader by having no obvious murderer in the midst of Lochdubh.
This edition to the Hamish Macbeth series continues to contain inappropriately hyphenated words, e.g. 'Strath-bane', suggesting this series isn't proofread.
Cheryl Fontes
Feb 08, 2017 Cheryl Fontes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamish started to question himself about his life's aims. He took on more risks than ever before.
As usual, for Hamish and I, a great read together.
Kerry Henderson
you've gotta love Hamish and his ability to overcome everything he faces. He's a lucky guy too. another good story. these are a good light series with enough drama to keep entertained but still light.
The Badger
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Kate
Jan 14, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
"... Now 'one of the warmest and quirkiest mystery series around' pits Constable Macbeth against a belligerent newcomer to Lochdubh, a bully flaiming to be a professional wrestler, who soon finds himself KO'd into the next world ...

"Everybody in Lochdubh knew about the pro who dubbed himself the Macho Man. The huge, tattooed, mean-looking stranger won a willing audience for his bragging and tall tales by buying round after round at the local pub. But his nasty insults led to some vicious fights.
The Hobbit
Jan 24, 2016 The Hobbit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hamish Macbeth series #12. Randy Duggan moves to the Highland village of Lochdue. With his well-muscled body, no villager doubts his claim that he is American wrestler known as "Macho Man." Initially the villagers in the local pub are fascinated by his tales of his adventures in other countries and his ordering rounds of drinks for everyone. But they soon tire of his constant bragging and his need to always be the center of attention. Constable Hamish Macbeth finds the braggart swinging retired ...more
Jerry
Jul 10, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're very fond of this low-key series about a northern Scotland village policed by their wily but unambitious constable Hamish Macbeth. Most of the novels follow a pattern of a murder in town, often a newcomer or outsider, and the ensuing investigation, which usually revolves around Macbeth's common sense prevailing over the bullying tactics of his superiors. In "Macho", a newcomer who buys everybody drinks and tells tall tales is found shot to death, and soon thereafter, a single woman who has ...more
Andreasoldier
Ellie
Death of a Macho Man by M.C. Beaton is my 5th or 6th read in the series. The book has all the elements I love: the Scottish village of Lochdubh and its familiar inhabitants, the adorable detective Hamish Macbeth, his former love, the elegant Priscilla, Hamish's enemy Superintendent Blair. I enjoyed it all and the plot was more interesting than many of the others. There are also a couple of moments that are too priceless to describe here. They have to be read to be enjoyed and it would spoil the ...more
C.J. Prince
Mar 18, 2014 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hamish Macbeth #12

There is something so reassuring about this lanky, laid back Scotsman that pulls me right into book number twelve, which give you a clue. I'm hooked.

M.C. Beaton amps up the plot in "Death of a Macho Man." We know who will die as soon as we figure out who is macho. Excessively macho. A relative newcomer to Lochdub, the macho man flashes money, buys all the men drinks, and insults everyone. Many have been heard to say, I'd like to kill him.

Even Hamish is scheduled for a fight wit
Ed
#12 in the Hamish Macbeth series.

Hamish Macbeth series - finds that his own impetuousness places him at the center of a murder investigation. Randy Duggan, recently arrived in the village, impresses fellow pubgoers with his size and tales of wrestling in America, but soon his blustery tune grows tiresome and the locals become restive at not being able to get a word in edgewise at their own pub. When the abrasive newcomer challenges the constable to a fight, Hamish is shocked to hear himself agre
Gerry
Jun 19, 2011 Gerry rated it really liked it
Carsley (Agatha Raisin) and Lachdubh (Hamish Macbeth) must be awful places to live, or more appropriately, to die! There is always murder taking place in both locations and in 'Death of a Macho Man', it is no different.

A loud-mouthed, supposedly American, is killed early on and then as Hamish Macbeth attempts to discover the murderer, albeit handicapped by his chiefs from Strathblane, another, seemingly unconnected murder takes place.

After much investigation, with plenty of suspects in evidence,
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/1996/314 LP pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #12 in Hamish Macbeth series
TIME/PLACE: 1990's Lochdubh, Scotland
CHARACTERS: Hamish Macbeth/police constable
FIRST LINES: Randy Duggan was called the Macho Man in the village of Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands & he seemed to live up to his nickname.

COMMENTS: library book. Another fine entry in the Hamish Macbeth series! There's a newcomer who is domina
Shuriu
Jun 27, 2012 Shuriu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hamish stretched his long legs and put down Rosie's book with a sigh. The plot had been simple. Viscount finds girl, viscount lose girl, viscount finds girl. There was nothing in it to betray anything about Rosie's character. It was written in a mannered style, competent, literate and strangely lifeless. Hamish, on the occasions when he had been trapped in Highland hotels and boarding-houses, had, during the course of reading anything to hand, read several romances. Some were badly written but t ...more
Natasha Penney
This book is between a 3.5 and four for me. The 12th in M.C. Beaton's Hamish MacBeth series, it was a comfortable read hat felt a little like a brief visit to old friends.

What keeps it from being a solid four is the plot, which is an unusual combination of outlandish and predictable. Two dead bodies mean two killers, and while the plot was strong leading to the first conviction, the identity of the second killer was fanciful and and required a suspension of belief that info I sit difficult to m
Anna
Sep 17, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk-food
This might be the best of the first 12 books in the series. Admittedly, one must suspend disbelief at some points (not that Beaton ever pretends to offer ultra-realistic fiction), but this was one of my most satisfying MacBeth reads in a long time. I found myself laughing in delight at several points. Macho Man also had a stronger, more suspenseful plot than several others in the series.

I still can't figure out how Beaton can or will resolve certain longstanding conflicts (which, of course, pro
Helene Harrison
Review - The two separate murders being unrelated was a new twist in Beaton's writing, as was the link to a major crime syndicate. Previously, the murders were seemingly almost always unrelated to the outside world. The new element worked to revive an old formula. I didn't see the twist with Betty and John coming which was a boon, but the relationship between Hamish and Priscilla is now getting boring, they need to solve their issues and move on, to help the stories move on as well.

Genre? - Crim
Devaleena
I like my British (in this case, Scottish) cozy murder mysteries but I think I reached my limit on this series. The characters are paper thin and there's only so many times I can read the same descriptions for each of them. The stories often have similar elements, such as several characters who yell "I could kill you" to the murder victim (I don't know how many people actually yell that in real life), female character(s) who get abused or are in abusive relationships (a little odd for a "cozy my ...more
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • Silence in Hanover Close (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #9)