Start by marking “These High, Green Hills” as Want to Read:
These High, Green Hills

These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  14,529 Ratings  ·  425 Reviews
In These High, Green Hills we're once again in Mitford, a southern village of local characters so heartwarming and hilarious you'll wish you lived right next door. At last, Mitford's rector and lifelong bachelor, Father Tim, has married his talented and vivacious neighbor, Cynthia. Now, of course, they must face love's challenges: new sleeping arrangements for Father Tim's ...more
Published April 1st 1997 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about These High, Green Hills, please sign up.

Lisa Yes, this is the third book in the Mitford series.

This was the third of Jan Karon's Mitford books to be written, but the fourth chronologically. It begins shortly after Father Timothy and Cynthia have been married, and focuses on their first year of marriage. As with the other books there's plenty of interaction with friends and parishioners, but there's also an increased development of Father Tim's character and more glimpses of his past.

There are also forays into the 'Creek' community of forgotten, impoverished families, and a surprise for Do
This is the third book in this series, and with each book I am more engaged with these characters and their stories. I have listened to the books on audio, and the reader is great at giving each different person in the story a voice that fits with the wonderful characterizations developed by the author. The setting is a small town in North Carolina, and pastor Tim Kavanaugh strives to serve all the community, whether members of his church or not; he is very much a part of their joys, sorrows, an ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I worked for years in a situation where I spent hours in driving so I often I listened to books on tape or CD.

I mentioned before that I was surprised that I got into these books. I have noted that most of the reviewers of these are women (no surprise). Had I not been desperate for something to listen to I would probably never have tried them. Yes they are Christian in content, but they don't get preachy. Yes we do follow Father Tim and his (new) wife and his shaggy dog, but they don't slump int
I'm going to write the same thing for the entire series. It's a syrupy sweet old fashioned read which does not demand anything of the reader. Many find the series feel good, and there are some sparkles of true conflict here and there, but mostly it's about the mundane daily plight of a vicar who finds love later in life and saves people - emotionally and physically.

If you like the first in the series, keep reading because you will be comforted by the characters and will want to see who is added
Feb 17, 2011 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Father Tim is married to Cynthia at last. She is moving into his home and now he has to learn about sharing space with her.

Dooley reaches a very hard decision regarding his life's journey. Father Tim has grown to love Dooley as though he were his own son.

Father Tim and his secretary Emma are introduced to the world of computers. This leads to a few laughs when they venture forward with this.

In this book we will meet new characters, or as I call them friends. One of these is Lacey
Kristi Marion
Mar 16, 2011 Kristi Marion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mitford books are charming books about the small town life of Father Tim in a fictional town in the mountains of Western North Carolina. We meet Father Tim in his twilight years as he works in this Southern community chock full of country "characters" that will make you smile. Along the way, he adopts a cantankerous young boy, finds romance and helps friends with problems.

This is the third book in a series of nine and as the book tries to cover the span of a year, it felt a little more rush
Apr 06, 2011 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heather, Kathy
Sweet, humorous, and believable as always. And it's always nice to read of people who share your religious tendencies and pray for guidance, safety, and the joy of people just like you do. Mitford feels like your hometown and the characters like old friends. Karon skillfully helps us welcome new characters and say goodbye to old friends while still keeping the feel of the Mitford family. Nice to read such a good, clean book where good and normal things happen to good, decent, normal people who y ...more
Dawn Teresa
Jan 01, 2014 Dawn Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Originally posted on my blog, Read Love.

Ah, Mitford! You are such a breath of small-town fresh air!

If you are unfamiliar with the Mitford Years series, you need to start at the beginning, At Home in Mitford. These books, which follow life in a sleepy North Carolina town, are told from the point of view of Father Tim, the rector of Lord's Chapel. Much like an easy chair or an old sweater, this series is a cozy delight. You'll not find arresting intrigue, high drama, or pulse-quickening action in
Jun 28, 2012 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot get enough of this series. After I finish each volume, I am so eager to begin the next one. Karon's eclectic Mitford characters have definitely captured my attention and I realize that I am seriously invested in what becomes of them. I admire Karon's apt ability to keep the stock characters engaging - the story lines have remained fresh and animated and the additions of new characters are lively and anticipated. I feel like I currently truly know these people.
In this volume, I found Fan
Oct 01, 2012 Dawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giving all MItford books a 5* from now on. Read them all at least 4 times. Guess I kinda like 'em!
Feb 18, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Father Tim and all his cohorts there on Mitford. I find myself loving his parishioners like they are from my own congregation, mourning when they mourn, and feeling joy for those that have triumphed! Great read.
Dec 30, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feb 28, 2015 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Library copy. Third in the Mitford series.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading These High, Green Hills. I love where the title comes into the story, just once I believe, near the end, although it is no secret. It is amazing that the reader can come to know so many varied characters so well in the course of reading this author's books. I love the consistent viewpoint of Father Tim. And I love not having to read first person in order to have it so.

One might assume that this is light reading. It is not. Th
Piepie Beuttel
Delores Thomas
Mar 28, 2015 Delores Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story completely. I have just discovered this series. Each one has a wonderful theme of faith and redemption. Father Tim quotes many inspirational songs, verses and other things. That is the main reason I enjoy these books.
Excellent. Enjoyed each moment of this story. After I read these books the first time, we went to North Carolina for a sabbatical. So many years later we've just planned a return trip to the Asheville area—right as I'm rereading the books. Not a coincidence:)
Debbie Phillips
Love the Mitford series. This was so quaint and cute. Father Tim and his new wife are newly married and trying to figure out how to live and merge their lives and some of their stuff. Unlike most couples they decide to keep both houses for now. Since they are next door to each other Cynthia is going to use her house as her office since both she and Father Tim work from home a lot. There is also some stuff going on with Dooley at school and while he is home from school for the summer.

Favorite quo
Rick Boyer
I know that a lot of people love Jan Karon... and this story was okay, as a story. But it was just way too syrupy, schmaltzy, and sentimental for me. Father Timothy Kavanaugh sounds like a nice guy; but his ministry is really a textbook recipe for severe clergy burnout. He's supposed to be a simple country parson... but in reality he's superman. And a real-life pastor wouldn't last a year doing what he does, with a smile and no complaints. I know, I know, Mitford is supposed to be a special kind ...more
Martha Groeber
Jul 23, 2016 Martha Groeber rated it it was amazing
Father Tim is settling into life as a married man. He must adjust to his wife Cynthia's interior decorating plans as well as figure out a way to put some fun into their life. His ward, Dooley, has gone to school in Virginia, and Father Tim struggles with loving someone who is distant. In addition, Father Tim has to meet new challenges: installing a new computer system in the church office, losing one of his most beloved parishioners, getting lost in a cave, and having another needy child show up ...more
Jessica L.
Sep 13, 2016 Jessica L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is one of my go-to's when life becomes stressful
Barb Bethea
Sep 29, 2016 Barb Bethea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are wholesome and just a good read - especially for an Episcopalian!
Sep 20, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a heart warming series. It's like a nice long visit with old friends.
Oct 24, 2016 Cassandra rated it liked it
A solid 3.5 star read. I don't think these books are fabulous, as they don't hook me and keep me turning pages. However, they are very homey. I love how relaxed they make me feel, other than the scene where Timothy and Cynthia get lost in a cave! That was rather intense!

Karon includes such beautiful quotes in her text. I loved this one by Oswald Chambers.

"We look for visions of heaven and we never dream that all the time God is in the commonplace things and people around us."
Jay Wright
Oct 10, 2016 Jay Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhhh. I love to be in Mitford if only for a short time. Every book is good and I have the best time. I am sixty myself and it is nice to see love blossoming for us older adults. Father Tim faces some tough circumstances in this one and if you are a fan this one is for you. I recommend reading this series from the beginning to get the full flavor. I cannot wait for number 4.
Oct 05, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining story of a small town pastor and his wife and friends.
Oct 11, 2016 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E.A. Lawrence
Another restful stay in the town of Mitford. Gotta say, when things are stressful and I feel rather depressed about life, the universe, and everything, there is nothing like a Mitford book to help me unplug.
this writer 9 51 Jan 19, 2015 09:23PM
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Home Song
  • Christmas at Fairacre
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)
  • Come Rain or Come Shine (Mitford Years, #11)

“When we turn from our sin, and have the blessed forgiveness of the Almighty, then we can ask Him to run things, and let Him be in charge.” 9 likes
“RATS-IN-A-POKE!” 4 likes