Start by marking “Wildwood Road” as Want to Read:
Wildwood Road

Wildwood Road

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Michael and Jillian Dansky seemed to have it all–a happy marriage, two successful careers, a bright future. But late one October evening, all that changed. Driving home from a Halloween masquerade, Michael momentarily nods off behind the wheel–and wakes to find nothing is the same.

Standing by his car is the little girl he came within a breath of running down. She leads Mic
Published March 29th 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wildwood Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildwood Road

The Hidden Icon by Jillian KuhlmannThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis KlausePoseidon’s Children by Michael  WestHades' Disciples by Michael  West
Favorite Fantasy
55th out of 57 books — 24 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattyThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Reading for October Evenings
181st out of 184 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

When I see a new novel written by a guy who's mostly known for doing books based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, X-Men, Hellboy, JLA, etc., I usually don't get too excited. Especially if I have sampled his work before and found it severely lacking (in this case, the Buffy novel "Immortal"). But Stephen King vouched for this one, so I figured I'd give it a try. I find King's book recommendations to usually be spot-on, though we seriously differ in musical taste and political opinions. So I gave this ...more
C. Lorion
I've had this book on my shelf for quite a while, and last week I finally decided to give it a try. I've read Strangewood, Straight On 'Til Morning, and The Myth Hunters by Golden, and loved all three of them, which made me wary of reading this one as I wanted it to measure up to those three, but was unsure if it would. It didn't, but it was still quite an enjoyable read.

With Golden's works, one of the thinks I like is that he doesn't let his characters escape from circumstances unscathed. They
Susan Kelley
Mar 04, 2008 Susan Kelley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: supernatural lovers.
Recommended to Susan by: ReadNSwap
Michael and Jillian Dansky have a good life. Their careers are on the rise, they have good friends and family. Most importantly, they have a deep and passionate love for each other. They get each other. All of that's about to change...

Driving home from a Halloween party, Michael narrowly misses hitting a little girl. With Jillian sleeping off cocktails in the back seat, Michael drives the little girl home. So why is he seeing her everywhere now? On the side of the road, in his dreams, in the cor
2 1/2 stars, I think. The backstory and relationship between the two main characters, Michael and Jillian, is sweetly and vividly drawn. Even the ghost part of the plotline is masterful enough to give you the creeps in the middle of the day. However, when the big reveal happens, and you find out that it's more than just ghosts...well that's sort of where things went downhill. I just didn't understand it. I didn't really understand the connection to Moloch, or whatever weapons our heroes had to c ...more
I loved Christopher Golden's prose. He creates great atmosphere, like I was reading some Shirley Jackson. He brings to life on the page a picture of New England. Being from New England myself I may be a little bias. The characters he creates are so memorable. I completely enjoy all his work, and highly recommend his writing.
May 15, 2015 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes horror
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
Michael and Jillian Dansky seem to have it all - a happy marriage, two successful careers, and a bright future. However late one October evening, that changes completely. It's while driving home from a Halloween masquerade that Michael briefly nods off behind the wheel. When he wakes up, he finds a little girl standing beside his car - a little girl who Michael apparently came within a breath of running over.

Shaken by her appearance at such a late hour, and concerned that the child isn't wearing
Kathy Jackson
This is my first Christopher Golden book - I'm still conflicted on how many more I will read. The story starts off with a bang - Michael meets up with the little lost girl, struggles with an unseen enemy and wakes up with a fuzzy memory of it all. So far, so good.

Goldman interweaves the sweet love story of Michael and Jillian with vivid supernatural phenomenon that makes the story not only creepy but also haunting. If the second half had been delivered with the same intensity, the book would hav
Golden skillfully manages to blend haunting supernatural imagery, critical human drama, and distressing psychological horror to create a masterpiece that I guarantee will stay with you months after you’ve put Wildwood Road down.

Taking you on a terrifying journey, the plot will sweep you off your feet. The story is original, intense, and erratic. The minute you think you have it all figured out, Golden throws a curve ball you never saw coming, but you’re damn happy to see where it takes you. Als
Michael and Jillian Dansky have everything going for them- good looks, brains, even political aspirations. Until one night after attending a masquerade party Michael almost hits a little girl on the side of the road. After picking her up to take her home he soon finds he picked up a lot more than just a child that night, he and Jillian are soon plagued by a haunting that won't stop until they either solve it's mystery or let it destroy them.

I've always loved ghost stories, the scarier the bette
I read my first Golden book a few years ago and have been on a slow hunt to read more of his work. This one was a typical supernatural thriller/ghost story and, in my opinion, was a little draggy in parts.

The Dansky's are the perfect couple. They have great jobs, great friends and love each other deeply. However, after the Halloween party all that is about to change. While Jillian is passed out in the backseat, Micheal narrowly misses hitting a little girl. Of course, like any good citizen, he o
Jun 12, 2007 Brooke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror fans
Shelves: 2007, own, horror
Christopher Golden writes an insanely wide variety of stories, but where he excels the most is in the horror genre. His brand of horror is particularly, well, horrific. It doesn't stem from the stories' supernatural elements so much as it does from the effects of the supernatural on the characters' everyday lives.

That's not to say that the supernatural elements aren't insanely creepy. During the beginning of Wildwood Road, Michael Dansky walks through an abandoned house, heavily intoxicated by s
The opening had me hooked - I was sympathetic to the lead, irritated at his wife, and curious about the dynamics between them. It kept me hooked - until we got to the house on Wildwood Road, where it promptly dropped me off the line into random, pointless weirdness.

And then we muddled through the rest of the first half of the book.

I'd have given up completely after the house scene, but I still had hopes - my teen had just finished the book, and told me it was good. And I was the one who'd seen
I guess I would give this one a rating of 2.5 stars. I liked the beginning - Michael and Jillian are on their way home after a Halloween party, and Michael narrowly misses hitting a little girl on the side of the road, while Jillian is passed out in the backseat after having a few glasses at the party. Michael offers to give the child a ride home and she directs him to a big creepy house on a hill. After this strange encounter, Michael starts seeing ghostly figures, and Jillian becomes cold and ...more
Martin St-laurent
This is the first book I read from this author and I found it quite entertaining. I thought that the first part was well written and gave a very good sense of a ghost story. However, I found that second part was not as good. It was ok, but the events with Jillian were not always contributing to advance the story and were sometimes a bit too long. I also found that the little explanations that were given about the women were not clear enough. I mean, we understood why they were doing those things ...more
The Dansky's were a successful young couple who were so happy in their marriage and so in love. Coming home from a Halloween party, Jillian had too much to drink and was sleeping in the backseat when Michael almost hit a little girl. Very shaken up, he got the little girl in the car and gave her a ride to "where she belonged" which seemed to be an old decrepit house.
After this incident, everything in the Dansky's lives started to fall apart. Michael was haunted by the little girl and Jillian be
This is an excellent novel that blends psychological horror, domestic drama, and supernatural intrigue together quite well. It's a fast-paced story, too, and reminded me of the best of Dean Koontz's work. It all starts on Halloween night... this one's a good old-fashioned chiller!
Im sorry but this book took 149 pages to get slightly interesting. So much filler with the every day pointless details of the two main characters that this became like a chore. Had 60+ pages left and I couldnt finish. Writing is exceptional but it just dragged for too long.
Robert Mingee
I really enjoyed this book, which started out as a traditional ghost story, but ended up going in a different but still entertaining direction. A few of the characters felt a bit 1-dimensional, but the central characters were well-drawn and interesting. The atmosphere was really creepy at times, and it definitely kept me guessing to the end about how it would all turn out. The main character's life spirals pretty far out of control, and his reactions felt real and honest, raw even. I think even ...more
Rodney Emery
I have not really read many mistory or horror books but so far i like this book. I have never hurd of this auther before but i really like how he explains chapters in such detail like when there is a suspencful part you really feel like your a part of it. I cant wait to finish this book!

I just got half way throug my book and im really into it. It is very suspencful right now and thats really keeping me into it. Michel is the main charictor and he has him self in a heap of trouble with his MIND a
Most horror books I've read have been pretty silly, even though they did manage to give me the shivers. This was no exception. Perhaps I should have been warned by the fact that the author also writes Buffy fan-fic. Also, character development includes such gems as: "Michael had never thought of her as anything less than sexy, but tonight she was more than that."—which let us in on the impression of "more than less than sexy."
Apr 01, 2014 Elaine added it
If you like Stephen King you will like this book!
May 31, 2009 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Mysteries and Sci fi's.
Recommended to Alicia by: A nice woman at the library.
This was a good law and order kind of book with and X-files twist. It kept me interested with only a few slower parts. And to tell you the truth I should have wrote this review a little sooner since it's now been 3 books ago. And we all know when you read a lot the details of past books go away. You'll remember enough to know you read them but that's about it. Anywho this book was a good read and worth the time.
Aug 27, 2011 Debra marked it as to-read
Stephen King recommended. He says: "Wildwood Road is a brilliant novel of supernatural suspense that reminded me of the early classics by Ira Levin—think Rosemary's Baby and you won't be disappointed. There's no baby, but oh baby, there is one creepy little lost girl that kept me turning the pages long after I should have gone to bed. This one's a keeper."
It was an okay read. It is essentially a ghost story but it touches on the 'nurture or nature' controversy in an interesting way. I enjoyed the book but it was a bit slow. Not a page turner by any means. It was the first Golden book that I have read. I will give him another try and hopefully his other books will keep me wanting more.
Janet Whalen-Jones
May 12, 2008 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: them who like evil.
Scary--I am not a big fan of going back and coming forward and going back--it didn t seem to help the plot any--I couldn t put it down--I just felt it dragging me to the next page with almost a promise it will advance and get more monstrous--great book--love conquers all.
Good story, well written. I liked the first 50 pages. Story way way too slim and is compensated by romantic backflash relative unrelated to the scrawny (but good) story. Better luck next time.
I'm a haunted house/ghost story fiend, and this could not hold my attention. Amateur writing, cliche scenarios, and a slowpoke protagonist. Yuck. DUMPED.
Rusty Lundgren
I couldn't get into this one. It was a struggle to finish. I've read others by Golden that I have enjoyed, but sorry to say that this one wasn't one of them.
First book by Golden that I have read. It was an ok read. May try another one of Mr. Golden's book to see if he may be a new author for me to read.
  • Sweetheart, Sweetheart
  • A Room For The Dead
  • The Uncanny
  • The Seven Whistlers
  • The Missing World
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • Evil Twins: Chilling True Stories of Twins, Killing and Insanity
  • Julian's House
  • Afternoon of  an Autocrat
  • Spectre Nightmares and Visitations
  • Wither (Wendy Ward, #1)
  • The Uninvited
  • The Magdalena Curse
  • In the Night Season: A Novel
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • The Art of Seeing
  • The             Rome Affair
  • One Pair of Feet
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...
Hellboy: Odd Jobs The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Hellboy: Odder Jobs Snowblind